Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why should I vote Yes?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

mangaroosh wrote: »

That isn't necessarily a problem with the benefits rather with how they are explained. If they are related to a persons actual concerns, their attention could be held. While they may not lend themselves to being put on posters, that does not advocate making stuff up, because when those are found out to be untruths, then it only serves to weaken your position, and the Yes campaign started from a seriously weak position with the onus being on them to prove that Yes was better than no.
    Firstly, the yes campaign are not making stuff up. 90% of businesses, 91% of economists and the majority of trade unions agree that a yes to Lisbon will help the economy. This is not scaremongering, it's a matter of opinion and one I agree with

Also, how do you relate the treaty to a concern that has no basis in reality?
    Why couldn't we have seen a poster that said, we will actually have a stronger voice in Europe. That way people would be forced to question the claim made by the No proponents.

There is a poster that says that :confused: it's a Fine Gael poster. People responded with the whole "we won't be kicked out of the EU" straw man

Is that what you took from it?

I cast no aspersions on what should or should not be done, merely pointed out an entirely natural phenomenon.

The onus is on the opposition party to show that they have something better to offer, this is why FF got into Government for another term, because the opposition could not show that they offered a better alternative - therefore we went with the "better the devil you know".

The thing is, if FF go down in peoples estimations, the opposition parties have an easier job of showing they offer a better alternative, the onus is still on them to do so. However, if the opposition parties weren't able to show a superior alternative, then you can bet your bottom dollar that it would be a case of "better the devil you know"

The thing is that the clear benefits of this treaty have been explained by hundreds of people and organisations for the past two years. You've been linked to ten reasons to vote yes on this forum and any reasons for voting no are very quickly shown to be the lies they are. Why do you insist that our government must break their 13 year failure streak and suddenly become great at pushing the benefits of a treaty? The government have behaved exactly as I expected they would in this referendum, abysmally, so as a responsible citizen I took it upon myself to research the treaty and found a wealth of information outside the government campaign. Why will you only accept the benefits if they come from the most unpopular Taoiseach in Irish history?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭roosh

K-9 wrote: »
    Even better, you can watch the Today FM debate here:
    http://qik.com/alexiagolez

Just pick a few of the videos at the bottom to get the right one. Martin is one of the better FF'ers on Lisbon. Harkin is very good too on the debate.

cheers for the link

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Firstly, the yes campaign are not making stuff up. 90% of businesses, 91% of economists and the majority of trade unions agree that a yes to Lisbon will help the economy. This is not scaremongering, it's a matter of opinion and one I agree with

Then this should should be stated. "Yes to Recovery" is scaremongering, because it fallaciously suggests that voting No will result in no recovery. This weakens the position of the Yes campaign, and the onus is already on them.
    Also, how do you relate the treaty to a concern that has no basis in reality?
    By reassuring people that the concern they express will either not be affected or has no basis in reality. This hasn't been done for many of the ordinary voters like myself.

There is a poster that says that :confused: it's a Fine Gael poster. People responded with the whole "we won't be kicked out of the EU" straw man

"Its simple. I want a strong voice in Europe - vote yes", is the one I presume you mean. Like I said, when this is placed against a categoric statement of our voting rights will be reduced - which wasn't actually an incorrect statement - the tendency is to side with the more factual sounding statement.

As for the "we won't be kicked out of Europe" "strawman", I think that was probably in response to the fallacious argument of either "we need Europe" or " we're stronger with Europe", so to respond with "we won't be kicked out of Europe" is not a strawman at all, rather it highlights the fallacy of that argument.

The thing is that the clear benefits of this treaty have been explained by hundreds of people and organisations for the past two years. You've been linked to ten reasons to vote yes on this forum and any reasons for voting no are very quickly shown to be the lies they are. Why do you insist that our government must break their 13 year failure streak and suddenly become great at pushing the benefits of a treaty? The government have behaved exactly as I expected they would in this referendum, abysmally, so as a responsibility I took it upon myself to research the treaty and found a wealth of information outside the government campaign. Why will you only accept the benefits if they come from the most unpopular Taoiseach in Irish history?

The problem is, that the clear benefits of this treaty have not been made abundantly clear to the vast majority of the electorate, in fact all that has been made clear is the fallacies that were being touted as reasons to vote yes. Those Ten reasons that I was linked to, in no way represented definitive reasons for a yes vote, because they were not immediately relatable to the interests of this country, and therefore myself. Also, linked to in the same post was a White Paper by a pro-Yes department of Government, that started off with the same fallacious arguments that had been touted by the Yes campaign, that we should vote Yes out of either fear of lack of economic recovery, or out of unwaverign loyalty to the EU.

I do not insist that the Governement break their streak of laziness and misinformation when it comes to issues like this. What I do insist on however, is that they be held to a higher standard of politics than "failed politicians". I also insist on being reasonably convinced of something before deciding to vote in favour of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Have you considered the possibility that this tactic has been used so often, because it is actually quite representative of the electorate.

If someone was truly "undecided" then they wouldn't be taking every opportunity to slander the Yes side and try to ignore and put down the excellent 10 reasons by poster sink, things you have been guilty of doing.
    This is a reasonable assumption, because as I have highlighted, the onus is on the Yes campaign to provide a decent reason to vote yes, or in the very least, provide open and honest debate that will allow for an informed decision.

You are only proving my point: notice how most of your talk has been about the Yes campaign and not about the Yes reasons to vote Yes. Why do you care about the campaign if you really are an "undecided voter" who has gone out of his way to find the right choice? Why aren't you treating the Treaty on its merits, instead of the demerits of those supporting it, huh? Perhaps it is easier to pick holes in the Yes campaign than the Treaty?

Really, why are you obsessed with the Yes campaign? There have been good reasons given to you here to vote Yes.
    The problem being, that having to come on here re-inforces the failure of the Yes campaign.

As above. I dont see why you need to bring up the campaign every post, concentrate on the reasons.
    Also, the information gathered here is a little more questionable than more official sources, this is just a matter of fact again.

Perhaps you would then verify this information with the Treaty? Sink has given you article numbers that you can research. Perhaps you are afraid what he says may be true?
    If indeed you do view these as tactics, and will allow these tactics to sway your opinion, then I would suggest you do a little more thinking as to what the various issues are and the potential ramifications of your vote.

Brushing the issue under the carpet, and ignoring the point I made. At the end of the day someone is going to be more receptive to a reason to vote No if it comes from an "undecided voter" because in their thought process said "undecided voter" must be telling the truth because he has no agenda.

turgon wrote: »
    If someone was truly "undecided" then they wouldn't be taking every opportunity to slander the Yes side and try to ignore and put down the excellent 10 reasons by poster sink, things you have been guilty of doing.

As such I am not undecided, I am in the No camp by default, because a No vote keeps things the way they are, while Yes changes them. I am not looking to the No camp to help me with my decision, rather I am looking to the Yes camp for reasons to vote Yes. When I spot flaws in the reasoning I am going to point them out. Ad those "excellent 10 reasons
    " aren't really that excellent at all, as they do not address any of the issues at all.

Also, when people accuse the No campaign of lies and the like I will challenge people to examine the Yes campaign and see how factual they have been. Both sides have been highly negligible. I am in the No camp by default, and the Yes side have to be held to higher standards. If they do not meet those standards then I'm afraid I have no incentive to change camps.

You are only proving my point: notice how most of your talk has been about the Yes campaign and not about the Yes reasons to vote Yes. Why do you care about the campaign if you really are an "undecided voter" who has gone out of his way to find the right choice? Why aren't you treating the Treaty on its merits, instead of the demerits of those supporting it, huh? Perhaps it is easier to pick holes in the Yes campaign than the Treaty?

That is because I believe that there are wider ramifications to this referendum than whether or not we ratify the treaty. It makes a statement about the kind of politicking we are willing to accept in this country, not just when it comes to European issues, but on a wholesale level. I honestly do believe it has become more than just the Lisbon Treaty, whereas, if we had have been provided with the information, all of it in a more effective manner, it would be all about the Lisbon Treaty.

Again, as for the Treaty on its Merits, the more debates I see on it the more the No side convinces me. An increased militarised Europe is not one I am overly enamoured with. I'm not talking about our neutrality or anything, but rather questioing how much of this agenda is being driven by the desire to increase the arms market. If we have businesses driving this kind of agenda then it is not in my best interests or the best interests of anyone else in Europe.

Really, why are you obsessed with the Yes campaign? There have been good reasons given to you here to vote Yes.

I really don't care about having a right or wrong opinion on this. I will pick holes where I see holes, not because I want to change anyones opinion, but because I want to further my own understanding. By highlighting potential negatives in the Yes campaign people have the opportunity to counter and show me where I am wrong or misinformed. I am not, as such, arguing in favour of the No vote, I am questioing the Yes vote, and looking for reasons as to why I should vote Yes.

As for the good reasons, I honestly do not feel that they are good enough. There are also reasons to vote No, and as I have said before, the onus is on the Yes vote to be convincing and it hasn't really been up to now.

As above. I dont see why you need to bring up the campaign every post, concentrate on the reasons.

Perhaps you would then verify this information with the Treaty? Sink has given you article numbers that you can research. Perhaps you are afraid what he says may be true?

Indeed, a lot of what he has said has been true (if I'm thinking of the same guy). I have certainly shifted my opinion from being a categoric no, due to the failed politicking of those people who will be running the country and implementing these changes. You see, there is another issue at hand. These people will be implementing the changes associated with Lisbon, if we let them get away with this attempt to fob us off now, then they will have license to do it in the future. It isn't as straight forward as I like the Lisbon Treaty therefore I must vote Yes. This is a key politcal decision and goes further than that. It goes to the very heart of politics in this country, and that also needs to be considered as it could directly affect how this country is run in the future. Have you considered this?

Brushing the issue under the carpet, and ignoring the point I made. At the end of the day someone is going to be more receptive to a reason to vote No if it comes from an "undecided voter" because in their thought process said "undecided voter" must be telling the truth because he has no agenda.

I don't have an agenda, I in no way stand to benefit from the ratification of the Lisbon Treaty or its subsequent rejection. I merely do not want to be taken for an absolute mug by the people running the country or the union. Those in the No camp can say what they like, I am looking to the leaders of this country for guidance, forgive me for that won't you.

As I said, this has further ramifications than whether or not you like the changes in the Lisbon Treaty. This will be a clear answer to the political leaders of this country of what kind of politics is acceptible to you. If you are happy to be fobbed off, on important issues, and have situations like this where clear debate, and information is not provided in a timely manner, then by all means do what you have to do. And don't try and brush this problem under the carpet.

• Advertisement

Then this should should be stated. "Yes to Recovery" is scaremongering, because it fallaciously suggests that voting No will result in no recovery. This weakens the position of the Yes campaign, and the onus is already on them.
    No it's not fallacious, at least not until you change it's wording and take a meaning from it that was never intended for the purposes of dismissing it, which is called a straw man btw and actually is a logical fallacy.
    By reassuring people that the concern they express will either not be affected or has no basis in reality. This hasn't been done for many of the ordinary voters like myself.
    Not by Fianna Fail but anyone who makes any kind of an effort can find the information they're looking for. You have asked on this forum and you have received. Stop using Fianna Fail's uselessness as an excuse to justify voting no.

"Its simple. I want a strong voice in Europe - vote yes", is the one I presume you mean. Like I said, when this is placed against a categoric statement of our voting rights will be reduced - which wasn't actually an incorrect statement - the tendency is to side with the more factual sounding statement.
    Yes it was an incorrect statement, as has been explained to you. Not only was it incorrect, it was a deliberate fabrication.

As for the "we won't be kicked out of Europe" "strawman", I think that was probably in response to the fallacious argument of either "we need Europe" or " we're stronger with Europe", so to respond with "we won't be kicked out of Europe" is not a strawman at all, rather it highlights the fallacy of that argument.
    Yes I know what it was in response to but it's still a straw man because it takes a statement that was never said and was never intended and refutes that instead of what was actually said. Whenever I explain the context behind that statement people see that it makes sense, although they usually don't admit it and just slink away because they can't respond anymore. I've come to take slinking away as an admission that someone is wrong at this stage because it's not something people like to admit

The problem is, that the clear benefits of this treaty have not been made abundantly clear to the vast majority of the electorate, in fact all that has been made clear is the fallacies that were being touted as reasons to vote yes. Those Ten reasons that I was linked to, in no way represented definitive reasons for a yes vote, because they were not immediately relatable to the interests of this country, and therefore myself.
    This treaty is not about me or you, it's about reforming EU procedures. If you're looking for a magnificent life changing clause you will be disappointed but equally you will not find a life changingly bad clause. It's a boring procedural document that should never have been put to a referendum because people want that magnificent clause. You're complaining that the government are giving fallacious arguments to vote yes but we give you the real arguments and you complain that they don't apply to you. As turgon suggests, you don't seem to be satisfied with anything.....
    Also, linked to in the same post was a White Paper by a pro-Yes department of Government, that started off with the same fallacious arguments that had been touted by the Yes campaign, that we should vote Yes out of either fear of lack of economic recovery, or out of unwaverign loyalty to the EU.

I do not insist that the Government break their streak of laziness and misinformation when it comes to issues like this. What I do insist on however, is that they be held to a higher standard of politics than "failed politicians". I also insist on being reasonably convinced of something before deciding to vote in favour of it.
    So you don't insist that the Government break their streak of laziness and misinformation but you insist that they be held to a higher standard of politics. How they will do that without breaking their streak of laziness and misinformation is anyone's guess.

You are simply using the government as an excuse. We have given you several unbiased sources and partisan sources of information, we have given you truthful and compelling arguments to vote yes, we have shown that the no arguments are all lies and you keep going on about Fianna Fail Fianna Fail Fianna Fail Fianna Fail Fianna Fail. You are being asked to vote on the Lisbon treaty, not on your dislike of Irish politicians, that's what an election is for. If you want to vote no then vote no but don't try to justify it as some kind of noble protest at our political system, you're holding Europe to ransom because you can't find any good reason to vote no so you've settled for a bad one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

The logic being applied is based on a simple matter of fact, that we should be holding the political representatives of this country to a higher standard than the likes of Cóir, because of the actual repercussions it would have. I'm sorry if you can't see this. That is why there is a difference what the vote actually says. It says that our leaders have to raise the bat a little, that simply matching a shoddy campaign is not good enough, not when it comes to important issues. This what politics is about, it is never a simple matter of, tick a box and get on with it, there are wider ramifications, and again, apologies if you cannot see that.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=62259177#post62259177

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭snazzy

I have found this topic very beneficial and I enjoyed reading of the debate in relation to a yes or no vote on Lisbon.

I myself am very unsure of which I lie.
    This will be my first time voting and I obviously want to make my vote count and base it on intelligent, logical reasoning but I really don't know which way to turn or what to believe! :confused:
    IN relation to Yes, I still don't see why the Govt. are pushing this so much. What has changed since last June? I honestly don't know. Have they made this treaty anymore applicable to the common person?
    In relation to No, I take no notice of the posters or the supposed No campaign. The only thing that really annoyed me was that we have to have a second bash off of this. Not very democratic imo. A no vote the first time should have been respected.
    But still I don't know what to think.
    But reading this has given me food for thought on both aspects of the vote so thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

Some of the NO's issues

- The Red Herring that is Neutrality
    - Loss of independence (small country like Ireland) in the globalised world

Neutrality
    This is the great red herring over all the last treaties (Nice, Maastricht, etc) lets be clear here we are the largest outpost for corporate America in Europe today. So for Al-Quaida, Iran, Afghanistan we a grade A soft target if you want to attack America’s interests abroad (unarmed police force, no real army, poor navy). The only way we will ever be neutral again is to tell Intel, Microsoft, Pfizer, HP, Dell, Boston Scientific, Wyeth, EMC, IBM, Merck, Abbott etc…. to leave our shore right now (cut those undersea fibre links aswell) and take you jobs, corporate HQ taxes, technology, data centres, R&D with you so we can go back to our DeValera thatch cottage rural living backwater. I will take the chance and to hell with this neutrality we need to align ourselves like it or not with a larger political block. The only reason we were not invaded in World War 2 was because we were not worth bothering with.

Loss of Independence
    This follows on from the neutrality theme we are an active member of the globalised economy and as the current financial crisis proved all western countries are interlocked again we have the fruits (and downside now) of our participation over the last 30 years. As the world becomes smaller and resources get scarcer we are going to loose independence regardless of the EU or not; look at Iceland. Better to be in early and play the game inside the corridors of power, instead of shouting outside them I say. A reformed EU, which Lisbon will provide, gives us the best chance for future generations.

The secret to our success to date in Europe (pre the Last Lisbon referendum) has been our diligent cute work in the background playing our cards exceptionally well under the radar of the big countries; we lost that with the boom (and our cocky attitude) and the Lisbon 1 no vote, that has been the real shame of the NO side.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

snazzy wrote: »
    The only thing that really annoyed me was that we have to have a second bash off of this. Not very democratic imo. A no vote the first time should have been respected.
    But still I don't know what to think.

Just keep in mind they did respect our vote which is why the Lisbon treaty has not being ratified. Our constitution means we have to hold referendums on these EU treaty's but that same constitution also allows the government of the day to call another vote. If we don't like these laws then we need to change them, right now having another vote is perfectly democratic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

This will be a clear answer to the political leaders of this country of what kind of politics is acceptible to you.

I know thats just an excuse you will be using for the next week to deflect from discussing the actual Treaty. Being a No Voter 101: Never talk about the actual Treaty.

snazzy wrote: »
    I myself am very unsure of which I lie.
    This will be my first time voting and I obviously want to make my vote count and base it on intelligent, logical reasoning but I really don't know which way to turn or what to believe! :confused:
    IN relation to Yes, I still don't see why the Govt. are pushing this so much. What has changed since last June? I honestly don't know. Have they made this treaty anymore applicable to the common person?

The only thing that really annoyed me was that we have to have a second bash off of this. Not very democratic imo. A no vote the first time should have been respected.

You say that you're unsure where you lie and that you don't know why the government are pushing it so much but that the second vote annoys you. The point is the way they're pushing it now is the way they should have pushed it back then (although they could still be doing a much better job). The fact that you and a whole host of people like you are still undecided shows exactly why another referendum is needed. People of your mindset voted no in their droves last time because they were unsure and saw no as the safe option. It wasn't that they had objections to the treaty, they just weren't sure because the yes campaign was so bad.

They're doing a slightly better job this time around and there's a lot of information available from other sources too so all those people who were unsure last time hopefully won't be this time and the democratic will of the people will pass the Lisbon treaty, where last time they rejected change out of fear

No it's not fallacious, at least not until you change it's wording and take a meaning from it that was never intended for the purposes of dismissing it, which is called a straw man btw and actually is a logical fallacy.

Yes to Jobs implies that voting yes will result in keeping or increasing Jobs, and also by implication that No is a No to Jobs, unless of course you are suggesting there is any other interpretation of this statement. It is a logical fallacy to imply this. I haven't misrepresented this statement, I have deduced its logical implications, so it is not actually a strawman, rather a logical fallacy by implication.

Even if it isn't a direct logical fallacy, it is definitely empty rhetoric aimed at frightening the people of this country into ratifying a treaty that would otherwise be foisted upon the people of Europe, by the political elite.
    Not by Fianna Fail but anyone who makes any kind of an effort can find the information they're looking for. You have asked on this forum and you have received. Stop using Fianna Fail's uselessness as an excuse to justify voting no.

Sorry, but you seem to have a pre-occupation with Fianna Fáil, I haven't mentioned them once, I have made it quite clear I am talking about all the major political parties. This isn't about sending a message to the current incumbent government, its about sending a message to all the politicians of this country and Europe, that our concerns need to be addresses, nust just run roughshod over in an attempt to push a political agenda, that seems to be heavily influenced by business interests, such as the armaments industry.

Yes it was an incorrect statement, as has been explained to you. Not only was it incorrect, it was a deliberate fabrication.

Indeed, and I have stated that I was tending more towards Yes because of this. However, it doesn't change the fact that the tendency is to side with the more factual appearing statement, which is what I actually said. You see, this isn't about being right or wrong, this is about developing a better understanding. I am willing to change my point of view so long as there is sufficient reason to do so. The statement itself was not factually incorrect, and wasn't a deliberate fabrication.

Yes I know what it was in response to but it's still a straw man because it takes a statement that was never said and was never intended and refutes that instead of what was actually said. Whenever I explain the context behind that statement people see that it makes sense, although they usually don't admit it and just slink away because they can't respond anymore. I've come to take slinking away as an admission that someone is wrong at this stage because it's not something people like to admit

Its not so much a strawman, as no real argument is based on it, it merely highlights the fact that the opposing claim has no bearing on the issue at all. No actual argument is constructed around that statement, the argument rather is constructed around the attempt of the political parties of this country (not just FF before you go off on another one), to scare the people of this country into voting Yes. That is not a strawman, because that was the deliberate intention of the Yes campaign. The argument then, is that because the Yes campaign, who should be held to a higher standard, are less trust worthy, as it is they that are suggesting a change, and then deliberately trying to mislead the electorate.

This treaty is not about me or you, it's about reforming EU procedures. If you're looking for a magnificent life changing clause you will be disappointed but equally you will not find a life changingly bad clause. It's a boring procedural document that should never have been put to a referendum because people want that magnificent clause. You're complaining that the government are giving fallacious arguments to vote yes but we give you the real arguments and you complain that they don't apply to you. As turgon suggests, you don't seem to be satisfied with anything.....

This vote is about more than just the Lisbon Treaty, it is about the kind of politics that we are willing to accept not only in this country, but in Europe. If it wasn't for the fact it is written into our constitution, there would have been no vote on this by anyone, it would have been ratified by all the member states with no voice being given to the people of Europe, who this Treaty is going to impact on. This is the kind of politics that will prevail if we vote Yes, where laws are just inacted without any consideration for what the people actually want.

So far the arguments in favour of Lisbon have been 10 pretty meaningless reasons, together with a white paper from a pro-yes government office. While the reasons for voting no are many and varied. A lot of it has to do with the kind of politics that we are being forced to accept, and that we will be forced to accept under Lisbon. We have a chance to stop this, to take stock and see is thie the direction we want to be going in. A no vote seems to be a clearer vote for democracy. We are the only nation that are getting the right to vote on this, a treaty that by many accounts bears a great resemblance to the EU constitution that was already rejected by France and Holland. Now it may not be the exact same document, but one things if sure, the people of Europe have not even been given the opportunity to have their say. This would have been forced upon us by the politicians of Europe (and this country), who have themselves, all-too-often, have shown that they can be bought and sold. Forgive me if I am a little skepticle when it comes to taking their advice, or for not being reassured that they have my best interests at heart.

So you don't insist that the Government break their streak of laziness and misinformation but you insist that they be held to a higher standard of politics. How they will do that without breaking their streak of laziness and misinformation is anyone's guess.

The government don't have to break their streak for us to hold them to higher standards. We can hold them to higher standards and if they fail to live up to them, then they can deal with the consequences, which is face up to their European counterparts and explain how this was allowed to happen again. Perhaps their European counterparts might encourage them to break their lazy streak or perhaps they might do it out of embarassment. Voting Yes simply re-inforces not just the Governments lazy streak but that of all the major political parties, not just in Ireland, but In Europe. Yes tells them that their lazy streak is just fine, continue on, don't mind us! This is what is being advocated with a Yes vote, not just that we agree to Lisbon.
    You are simply using the government as an excuse. We have given you several unbiased sources and partisan sources of information, we have given you truthful and compelling arguments to vote yes, we have shown that the no arguments are all lies and you keep going on about Fianna Fail Fianna Fail Fianna Fail Fianna Fail Fianna Fail. You are being asked to vote on the Lisbon treaty, not on your dislike of Irish politicians, that's what an election is for. If you want to vote no then vote no but don't try to justify it as some kind of noble protest at our political system, you're holding Europe to ransom because you can't find any good reason to vote no so you've settled for a bad one.

This is just endemic of the Yes campaign, an inability to listen. I have no axe to bear with Fiann Fáil, but perhaps you do, or else you have an allegiance to them, I'm not sure, but it is you that continues to erect this strawman. What I said was the the White Paper came from a a pro-Yes Government department. I couldn't say it came from a pro-Yes opposition party because that would have been factually incorrect.

I find it both insulting and misguieded to suggest that voting No is holding Europe to Ransom. Europe is being held to ransom by the politicians who have sought to push this piece of legislation through without consulting the people. In case you hadn't noticed, we are the only ones getting to vote on it.

I am indeed not justifying my decision to vote No by some noble attack on the irish political system, I am considering the wider ramifications of the vote with regard to the way politics is conducted in this country and in europe. If you are too blind to see that this could set a dangerous precedent for the ratification of future treaties, then please don't resort to condescending and trying to justify your own Yes vote based on 10 shoddy reasons that look good on paper but will have very little if any effect on the people of Europe.

Yes to Jobs implies that voting yes will result in keeping or increasing Jobs, and also by implication that No is a No to Jobs, unless of course you are suggesting there is any other interpretation of this statement. It is a logical fallacy to imply this. I haven't misrepresented this statement, I have deduced its logical implications, so it is not actually a strawman, rather a logical fallacy by implication.
    No does not mean no jobs, it means fewer jobs. If you have to change the text and the meaning of the poster to make it look ridiculous then the poster is not the one being made look ridiculous.

Logical fallacies tend to have names btw, such as a straw man. If you think it's a logical fallacy, which one is it?
    Even if it isn't a direct logical fallacy, it is definitely empty rhetoric aimed at frightening the people of this country into ratifying a treaty that would otherwise be foisted upon the people of Europe, by the political elite.

Its not so much a strawman, as no real argument is based on it, it merely highlights the fact that the opposing claim has no bearing on the issue at all. No actual argument is constructed around that statement, the argument rather is constructed around the attempt of the political parties of this country (not just FF before you go off on another one), to scare the people of this country into voting Yes. That is not a strawman, because that was the deliberate intention of the Yes campaign. The argument then, is that because the Yes campaign, who should be held to a higher standard, are less trust worthy, as it is they that are suggesting a change, and then deliberately trying to mislead the electorate.
    90% of businesses, 91% of economists and the majority of trade unions agree with the statement (but not your straw man of it). Are they all the "political elite"?

If something is a very real possibility and you warn someone of that possibility it's not scaremongering, it's giving good advice. For example, if I tell you that walking around with your eyes closed makes it more likely that you will be hit by a car, is that scaremongering or good advice? And if I tell you that a yes vote will help the economy because many industry experts have told me so, is that scaremongering or good advice?
    Sorry, but you seem to have a pre-occupation with Fianna Fáil, I haven't mentioned them once, I have made it quite clear I am talking about all the major political parties.
    Throw fine gael and labour and a few others in there if you insist, it doesn't change my point in any way.
    This isn't about sending a message to the current incumbent government, its about sending a message to all the politicians of this country and Europe, that our concerns need to be addresses, nust just run roughshod over in an attempt to push a political agenda, that seems to be heavily influenced by business interests, such as the armaments industry.
    The concerns of taxation, abortion, conscription, neutrality and the loss of a commissioner were addressed.
    Indeed, and I have stated that I was tending more towards Yes because of this. However, it doesn't change the fact that the tendency is to side with the more factual appearing statement, which is what I actually said. You see, this isn't about being right or wrong, this is about developing a better understanding. I am willing to change my point of view so long as there is sufficient reason to do so. The statement itself was not factually incorrect, and wasn't a deliberate fabrication.
    There's a very big distinction between "factual appearing" and factual. The no side are very adept at appearing factual but they are quoting half articles, misinterpreted articles and articles from the Nice treaty as if they're new and as if they do all this scary stuff. That has been shown conclusively on this forum

Yes the statement was a deliberate fabrication because it only told half the story, in fact less than half the story. Similar to how Joe Higgins said that something effected health and education because he didn't quote the paragraph immediately below it explicitly excluding health and education.
    This vote is about more than just the Lisbon Treaty, it is about the kind of politics that we are willing to accept not only in this country, but in Europe.
    You keep saying that but it's not. You are trying to use a vote on a completely unrelated and inappropriate matter to voice your opinion on how our politics are run. Again I will ask you if you intend to vote no on the children's rights referendum to send this message? You've already decided to use one completely unrelated referendum to send our politicians a message so why not another?

I would venture you won't because you're not trying to find an excuse to vote no to that one.
    If it wasn't for the fact it is written into our constitution, there would have been no vote on this by anyone, it would have been ratified by all the member states with no voice being given to the people of Europe, who this Treaty is going to impact on. This is the kind of politics that will prevail if we vote Yes, where laws are just inacted without any consideration for what the people actually want.
    Now it may not be the exact same document, but one things if sure, the people of Europe have not even been given the opportunity to have their say.
    I find it both insulting and misguieded to suggest that voting No is holding Europe to Ransom. Europe is being held to ransom by the politicians who have sought to push this piece of legislation through without consulting the people. In case you hadn't noticed, we are the only ones getting to vote on it.
    Laws are enacted every single day without a referendum, that does not mean that there is no consideration for the people. Welcome to representative democracy. We didn't have a referendum on NAMA and that has implications a hundred times greater than this treaty. We in Ireland have a law that requires a referendum on EU treaties and they don't. If they want one they can demand one made just like Raymond Crotty did here in the 80's. If you look here, you will see that ratification through parliament is by far the normal procedure for EU treaties. We were the only ones who had a referendum for Nice, only us and the Danish for the Amsterdam treaty, only 3 countries for Maastricht and the people in those countries have yet to demand a change. EU countries, including Ireland, have had or planned referendums 15.8% of the times they could have. This idea that the ratification through parliament of Lisbon is somehow underhanded, unusual or undemocratic is, to use your favourite word, a fallacy invented by the no side.

So far the arguments in favour of Lisbon have been 10 pretty meaningless reasons, together with a white paper from a pro-yes government office.
    If you think that then I can't help you mate. You say that you understand the treaty is "mostly administrative in nature" but you want reasons that are "immediately relatable to the interests of this country, and therefore myself". How you get that from an administrative treaty is anyone's guess. You're complaining that the politicians are giving empty rhetoric but then dismiss a detailed white paper from the government because it's "pro-yes". And the referendum commission website wasn't good enough because it just gives the facts and not reasons, essentially because it's not "pro-yes". Nothing seems to be satisfying you here.
    While the reasons for voting no are many and varied.
    And pulled out of their respective arseholes, let's not forget that. You keep going on about fallacies but everything from the no side is far more than a fallacy, they're blatant lies as has been shown to you.
    a treaty that by many accounts bears a great resemblance to the EU constitution that was already rejected by France and Holland.
    Yes, the French and the Dutch objected to certain things and they were removed. If people only object to, say, articles 63, 56 and 24, why would you remove anything but those articles? :confused:
    The government don't have to break their streak for us to hold them to higher standards. We can hold them to higher standards and if they fail to live up to them, then they can deal with the consequences, which is face up to their European counterparts and explain how this was allowed to happen again.
    No, the consequences for a politician who does not live up to standards is that you vote him out of office in a general election. A no vote will reflect badly on the whole of Ireland, not just our politicians.
    Voting Yes simply re-inforces not just the Governments lazy streak but that of all the major political parties, not just in Ireland, but In Europe.
    And voting no reinforces that if those extremists and nut jobs lie enough they can trick us. They've done it twice before and they're about to do it a third time.
    This is just endemic of the Yes campaign, an inability to listen. I have no axe to bear with Fianna Fáil, but perhaps you do, or else you have an allegiance to them, I'm not sure, but it is you that continues to erect this strawman. What I said was the the White Paper came from a a pro-Yes Government department. I couldn't say it came from a pro-Yes opposition party because that would have been factually incorrect.
    No I have no allegiance to Fianna Fail. I hate Fianna Fail.

I realise the yes campaign is a shambles run by idiots. You will not get any argument from me on that matter so there is no point saying it over and over again. As a citizen it is your responsibility to understand the ramifications of your vote before you cast it. Our government are under no obligation to any campaigning whatsoever for this treaty and I would prefer if they didn't because they're very bad at it.
    I am indeed not justifying my decision to vote No by some noble attack on the irish political system, I am considering the wider ramifications of the vote with regard to the way politics is conducted in this country and in europe. If you are too blind to see that this could set a dangerous precedent for the ratification of future treaties, then please don't resort to condescending and trying to justify your own Yes vote based on 10 shoddy reasons that look good on paper but will have very little if any effect on the people of Europe.
    No you're not considering the wider ramifications, you're implying ramifications that have nothing to do with the treaty while ignoring that voting no will "set a dangerous precedent" that lying will get extremists what they want. You also seem to think that a no vote will have some kind of effect on our politicians when in reality they'll just point to the multitude of other reasons people will have voted no and continue as usual. Lots of people voted no last time for this very reason and it had pretty much no effect so the chances of a second no vote having this effect are roughly nil. If you want to voice your approval at our politicians, the time to do that is at a general election.

And in attaching these inappropriate ramifications and deciding based on them you are ignoring the actual wider ramifications. This treaty is bigger than our crappy politicians, it's about the future direction of the entire European Union. You are effecting the lives of 500 million people because you want to send our politicians a message that you can send them just as easily and far more appropriately at a general election. You are abusing the privilege of the vote that your ancestors fought to give you

To give some examples:

The treaty gives more power to the elected parliament instead of the unelected commission. More democratic but that doesn't matter because you want to tell our politicians that they're not doing a good job and can't wait for a general election

The council will meet in the open where now they can meet behind closed doors. More transparent but that doesn't matter because you want to tell our politicians that they're not doing a good job and can't wait for a general election

The treaty gives more power to the national parliaments, transferring power back to the countries but that doesn't matter because you want to tell our politicians that they're not doing a good job and can't wait for a general election

The treaty introduces the simplified revision procedure to allow more efficient and effective changes, allowing the union to adapt to changing circumstances better while keeping appropriate controls but that doesn't matter because you want to tell our politicians that they're not doing a good job and can't wait for a general election

It gives the union a stronger voice on foreign policy (unanimously decided so we have a veto) and therefore more power to put pressure nations like North Korea but that doesn't matter because you want to tell our politicians that they're not doing a good job and can't wait for a general election

It gives more power directly to the people with the citizen's initiative but that doesn't matter because you want to tell our politicians that they're not doing a good job and can't wait for a general election

It makes the charter of fundamental rights legally binding for the first time but that doesn't matter because you want to tell our politicians that they're not doing a good job and can't wait for a general election

It makes energy and the environment greater EU competences so we can have greater energy security, more bargaining power and greatly help the fight against climate change but that doesn't matter because you want to tell our politicians that they're not doing a good job and can't wait for a general election

Who's considering the wider ramifications again?

Advertisement