Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appearing on our roads

Options
  • 24-09-2009 3:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

i dont know how to put this properly but, i realy need to know, i have being noticing all over the country little irish flags popping up everywhere, on lampposts, road signs, barriers and flyover bridges, i could drive by a lamppost 1 week and its not there the next week it has a little irish flag stuck to it, i was just woundering does any1 know what the hell is going on what are they what are they for, i have ruled out the possibility of kids because there all over ther country (i work as a rep so im up and down the counrty) if you havent noticed yourself have a look next time and it will get on you nervs 2 (OR MAYBE I GOING MAD)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭drag0n79

I have noticed this on signs on the M1. Couldn't tell if they were stickers or painted on. Just very small flags, usually right down the bottom in the middle, barely noticeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭NFD100

I've seen them too. They are everywhere. Up and down the M1 and on the R roads. The R150 into Laytown and Bettystown, in particular. I don't know what it's all about but it is vandalism. It can't be the Irish language lobby as all these signs are bilingual. It must be something else. If the signs were mantained and cleaned the damn little flags would be removed.Whoever is sticking them on should be prosecuted.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭The Maverick

A lot of them popped up on the old N2 road in the last few months.Always wondered who puts them there, it's not like passing pedestrians are doing it, someone actually has to stop their car and get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Scrambled egg

Ive noticed them everywhere, I sort of like them though, bit of national pride at rush hour lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm not sure, but I think its a republican thing, marking their patches in a dog like fashion. I'm not sure how much it happens these days, but lots of areas up north used to have either red-white-blue or green-white-orange kerbs, bunting suspended from light poles, etc. When they catch them, they should be made take them all down again.

Separately, stickers are being used around Dublin by taggers and graffiti artists. Some have genuine art value, most are mere vandalism.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

Victor wrote: »
    I'm not sure, but I think its a republican thing, marking their patches in a dog like fashion.
    Definitely not a patch marking exercise, unless you count the entire island (which would be like the time Homer Simpson designed all the cars to have a recocognition balls attached to all the aerials of the cars he designed, but they proved useless as everybody had them)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Oh Dear...don`t tell me this is a Republican version of the White-Lady in the Window phenomenon.....Next we`ll have the statues movin of their own accord (Probably to Australia !)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Maybe it's like those Irish flags on taxi cabs - a xenophobic thing.

Well, I don't know what it's about, but it isn't doing any harm and it's good to see.

It's amazing that in the last few posts what is a fairly harmless activity has been dismissed as drug-dealeresque turf-marking, moving statue paddy-wackery and laced with implications of rascism.

Quite possibly it's attitudes like that that prompted whoever is putting them up to put them up in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

IIMII wrote: »
    Quite possibly it's attitudes like that that prompted whoever is putting them up to put them up in the first place.

Why would somebody put up stickers of Irish flags in response to "drug-dealeresque turf-marking", "moving statue paddy-wackery" and "rascism"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

IIMII:

It's not good to see. Using our national flag as graffiti with tacky stickers on random objects is not a proper use of the flag and is disrespectful of it.

I would argue that even if someone if a fervent nationalist who thinks non-Republicans are too afraid of displaying the national flag and that we should have much more display of our flag, they should nevertheless be against this particular method of "display".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭chewed

I've also spotted some Scotland flag stickers! Are there Scottish nationalists roaming our streets? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

NFD100 wrote: »
    I've seen them too. They are everywhere. Up and down the M1 and on the R roads. The R150 into Laytown and Bettystown, in particular. I don't know what it's all about but it is vandalism. It can't be the Irish language lobby as all these signs are bilingual. It must be something else. If the signs were mantained and cleaned the damn little flags would be removed.Whoever is sticking them on should be prosecuted.

Excuse me - it's our national flag!!!

No harm in people showing a little bit of pride in this country - something that has been lacking!!!

Let's hear it for the tri-colour!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

No harm in people showing a little bit of pride in this country

First time for everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Nationalism is sooo last century.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

No harm in people showing a little bit of pride in this country - something that has been lacking!!!

Well said. One thing i love about going to the States is their pride in their flag. Sure it's a bit OTT sometimes but generally there's a patriotism there that's lacking here. I know the tri-colour often brought with it various conotations that weren't accepted in a lot of places(republicanism/IRA etc.) but i think it's great to see tbh.

Sorry for the slightly OT ramble!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Well why not stick a pole in your front garden and run up the Tricolour there. Don't see too many doing that like they do in the States.

I presume the NRA will remove and bin these stickers.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

BrianD wrote: »
    Well why not stick a pole in your front garden and run up the Tricolour there.

Planning permission and brown envelopes...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

chewed wrote: »
    I've also spotted some Scotland flag stickers! Are there Scottish nationalists roaming our streets? :eek:

Yeah I've noticed a few of the Scottish ones around too. Weird!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

i've seen lots of the irish ones and a few scottish ones around blanch and would you believe when i got home from work there was an irish one on my wheelie bin aswell :eek:,unfortunately i've seen alot of stencils of r.i.r.a around blanch too, some people are sooo last generation,just dirty vandelism as far as im concerned

• Advertisement

Zoney wrote: »
    IIMII:

It's not good to see. Using our national flag as graffiti with tacky stickers on random objects is not a proper use of the flag and is disrespectful of it.

I would argue that even if someone if a fervent nationalist who thinks non-Republicans are too afraid of displaying the national flag and that we should have much more display of our flag, they should nevertheless be against this particular method of "display".
    I don't disagree with you Zoney. But it's a hell of a lot better than Davey Keogh says hello' etc that you see written on Soccer tri-colours (I hate anything written on flags, as I hate flag T-Shirts etc), and they are very small, barely noticable. I haven't a clue what they and the Scottish ones are about, but one thing is certain, someone is dedicated..!

triple-M wrote: »
    and would you believe when i got home from work there was an irish one on my wheelie bin aswell :eek:
    :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

scottish flags would be UVF totemry !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Toesuf

ok i take it no 1 knows wat they are, the tread got a little out of control with some of you sayin its graffiti and its disgracful i didnt mean it in that way wen i started this. i have no problem with them jus were did they come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Anyone got photos of them stuck to the signposts???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

There was a thread on this a couple of months ago:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055606100

Just saw in that thread on AH that Eirigi are mentioned. Noticed this afternoon while out for a walk that there's a tricolour sticker on one of the columns of the footbridge at sureweld on the N4 and there's an ink stamp of the Eirigi logo above it. I'll take a pic of it tomorrow if i think of it.

This is the remnants of one of these left in Lucan. Apologies for giving this shower publicity but it's purely for illustrative purposes only.
    06102009014.jpg

Advertisement