Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tricolour stickers around the place

Options
  • 29-06-2009 1:12am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if this has been posted about already but I wonder if anyone knows anything about it...

I've spotted a load of tricolour stickers popping up around the place in the past few weeks on road signs, traffic lights and motorway fly-overs etc. and I'm trying to figure out who's behind them.

So far I've seen them in Swords, Balbriggan, Dundalk, Santry, Dublin city centre, on the M1, M7, M50 and probably in a few other spots that I can't quite remember now.

They're just plain tricolours with no sign of anything else, like a name for an organisation. Some are tiny little things and others are around A3 size or possibly bigger.

If I only saw them here or there I'd think nothing of it but I've seen so many in so many places I can't help but think of the work and even expense that went into the whole thing. A couple of friends have commented on them too so it seems as though it's becoming a bit of a mystery, perhaps intentionally.

Anyone know anything about them (or even know what I'm on about?!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

It was probably the reverse vampires.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

Have no idea.

It's prob something to do with our 'patriot bretheren'

Y'know, the types that deface direction signs around the country.
    They scrape off the english letters etc.

You'd see it across Achill Island.

I'd love to catch one of these asswipes in their 'glorious' activities & remove their eyeballs with a spoon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭markok84

The UVF and UDA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

flogen wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been posted about already but I wonder if anyone knows anything about it...

I've spotted a load of tricolour stickers popping up around the place in the past few weeks on road signs, traffic lights and motorway fly-overs etc. and I'm trying to figure out who's behind them.

So far I've seen them in Swords, Balbriggan, Dundalk, Santry, Dublin city centre, on the M1, M7, M50 and probably in a few other spots that I can't quite remember now.

They're just plain tricolours with no sign of anything else, like a name for an organisation. Some are tiny little things and others are around A3 size or possibly bigger.

If I only saw them here or there I'd think nothing of it but I've seen so many in so many places I can't help but think of the work and even expense that went into the whole thing. A couple of friends have commented on them too so it seems as though it's becoming a bit of a mystery, perhaps intentionally.

Anyone know anything about them (or even know what I'm on about?!)

Just to be clear about this & before I have another rant about 'Ra heads', are these Irish tricolours?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

I dont understand!

Is this the offending article?: http://www.mapsofindia.com/maps/india/india-flag.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭markok84

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Gay parade in Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

i've noticed these too, in particular the one on the flyover @ grangecastle on the n7 looks like its made from metal(A3 Size), everytime i see them, "must check boards for that"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

MIN2511 wrote: »
    Gay parade in Dublin?

I can see the similarities all right :D

Jaysus!

Jeth-susth!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I'd love to catch one of these asswipes in their 'glorious' activities & remove their eyeballs with a spoon!

No you wouldn't. You'd walk on the other side of the road, put your head down, and avoid eye contact. Don't be silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

dlofnep wrote: »
    No you wouldn't. You'd walk on the other side of the road, put your head down, and avoid eye contact. Don't be silly.

...you forgot, head home and think about what you would do to em if you were armed and knew jiu jitsu...or something.

Or is that only me?

But flags, pics or gtfo to coin a meme.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,091 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I noticed the same sort of thing in the US, american flags all over the place :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Imagine that. Irish people who are proud of their flag.:eek: They must be all racists then huh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Bandit12 wrote: »
    Imagine that. Irish people who are proud of their flag.:eek: They must be all racists then huh.

Thats not what he's asking, hes asking is there a group behind it sticking them up every where.

Ive noticed them on the road signs on the M1, they just look odd and out of place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I've noticed them about the place too, not the worst kind of graffiti by any means.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,147 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I've noticed them too. Also a few Scottish flags and one or two of those 4 provinces crests. I was going to post on the motors forum (as I'm normally driving when I see them, and AH is a hole AH), but maybe you'll get an answer here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

yeah i've noticed them as well, and did start a thread in dublin city...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055594136

still havent got a valid explanation for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 mattysullivan

My guess is it's something to do with the Lions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Definitally a warm up to the Lisbon 2 campaign. Its all about national pride. :p

• Advertisement

Noticed them too. A few small ones around the Naas and Rathcoole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Could it be the Irish what are doing it Tito?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Have no idea.

I doubt it - this looks like a lot of work, time and money went into it.

I've tried to think what it could be about - a general expression of patriotism by some group, something to do with Lisbon, something to do with the current negative climate, something more sinister... it's impossible to know, though, unless the people behind it have said anything public themselves.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

It's to celebrate Ireland not coming last in the Eurovision this year, which is an improvement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭sneakerfreak

Have no idea.

You'd see it across Achill Island.

'patriot brethern'?

Why shouldnt I remover the English placenames from signs in my local area?

I find them offensive and they are totally incorrect translations.They are a remnant of colonialism and have no right to be there.

"Article 8 of the Constitution of Ireland states the following;

"8.1 The Irish language as the national language is the first official language.

8.2 The English language is recognised as a second official language.

8.3 Provision may, however, be made by law for the exclusive use of either of the said languages for any one or more official purposes, either throughout the State or in any part thereof."

It should be noted however that the State has never enacted legislation under Article 8.3.

In Gaeltacht areas AT LEAST this should be enacted so as to have only the Gaelic names on roadsigns.

Que hysteric westbrit outrage-"Outrageous thats not fair on non-Irish speakers and it smacks of Republicanism and the how will the tourists ever find their way round?"

It is the Gaeltacht,the main aim of the Gaeltacht is to keep Gaelic alive,why would we have signs in English?

Support of the Irish language may be patriotic and Nationalist but it is by no means a Republican trait,many people a from non-Republican background or mindset support the Irish Language.

I have found that most maps that tourists have when arriving in Gaeltacht areas use the Irish placenames and visitors are actually confused by having the English language placenames on the signs also.Many signs were erected with only English placenames as well and this confused even more.

I find your obvious wish for the return of your English Imperialist masters abhorrent and wish you well in the future where you have no national identity except that Guinness used to be made in your country and the only thing marking us as different from neighbouring countries is that we say 'Tree' instead of 'Three',what a fantastic future i envisage when people like you inhabit the country.

And my guess on the tricolours (youd swear it was an insult to some of you to see it displayed) is that its Eirigí,they often have campaigns like this where they take no credit but simply wish to stir up national pride conscience ahead of a vote like Lisbon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

They're not actually Irish flags.

We've been invaded By Canadians

They're trying to annex Ireland as part of Newfoundland.

I find your obvious wish for the return of your English Imperialist masters abhorrent and wish you well in the future where you have no national identity except that Guinness used to be made in your country and the only thing marking us as different from neighbouring countries is that we say 'Tree' instead of 'Three',what a fantastic future i envisage when people like you inhabit the country.

What the heck are you talking about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭sneakerfreak

What the heck are you talking about?

The demise of our nation due to people who are obviously offended by their own national flag and language.

The demise of our nation due to people who are obviously offended by their own national flag and language.

And whats the reason for the Anti-British rant?

Last time i checked they didn't make our road signs.

And i don't see anywhere in this thread anyone being offended by the Irish flag. Think you should take a deep breath and lose the imaginary British chip on you'r shoulder.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

You find English placenames offensive? Wow, your life must be one long list of offensive situations.:rolleyes: Don't you find writing in English offensive too. Not to mention reading English.:D

Oh and by the way the whole Westbrit insult is soooo nineteen twenties!

If it is Eirigi then people's suspicion of of Irish flags popping up everywhere is justified. For too long our national flag has been hijacked by extremist left wing republicans like eirigi. For too long it was associated with extremism and terror.

We need to reclaim our flag from the lunatic fringe. The kind of people who write things like 'westbrit' and 'English Imperialist masters' as if those comments had the slightest relevance to our lives today.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement