Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Side Peoples Movement manipulating voters through Google adwords

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 dmfod

Point.

Your post contains none.

It demonstrates that far being a spontaneous new movement of concerned otherwise non-political youth, GY is a collection of youth wing party members and young people with professional careers in European issues, political PR etc.

I have no problem with the youth wings of the main political parties getting together to campaign for a yes vote, but they should be honest about it and form an alliance of parties to which the various youth wings affiliate - a model of this is the campaign group CAEUC on the No side to which SF, SP etc. have affiliated as organisations

Hiding your political party membership while involved in a political campaign is obviously dishonest

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

dmfod wrote: »
    Hiding your political party membership while involved in a political campaign is obviously dishonest

You seemed able to find out about party membership though. I'm sure your Pulitzer's in the post...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

When has anyone from Gen Yes been dishonest about their party membership? Or are you just making crap up?

And is it really unsurprising that the people who put together Generation Yes, which btw I'm one of the people in your above post, are already politically active in their own ways.

Generation YES is independent of partys. Always has been been. Some of its members aren't. Lots of its members are in political partys. That's not a sin. Lots of people have never been in a party before, there's nothign wrong with that either.

And since all this information has been available on our website, and all you had to do is google it, who exactly is hiding anything? Oh wait, you're just talking crap again.

none of the profiles of the 6 team members on GY's website mention any political party links

are you saying this is an oversight - if so what a coincidence that none of the 5 mention it in their little bios - or do you think political party membership while involved in a political campaign is irrelevant?

also if their political party membership is not seen as a liability then why do people get so touchy, threatening to bar people, demanding 'prove it' etc. every time the subject is raised? shouldn't GY be proudly listing their young FG/FF/GP/LP membership alongside their other "achievements"

All the other astroturf yes civil society groups also have links to the same political parties and business establishment as gen yes, for example as I mentioned already women for europe operates from IBEC's head office and is headed by a former FF election candidate Olive Braiden, while We Belong is headed by Olivia Buckley, a former FF communications director

Most people would find these facts significant in assessing the supposed independence of these campaigns

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Their site says this:
    Yes. Generation Yes takes no direction or funds from any political parties. Members of parties are of course welcome to join and take an active role, but the organisation is fully independent.

So, err, still failing to see a point...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

none of the profiles of the 6 team members on GY's website mention any political party links

are you saying this is an oversight - if so what a coincidence that none of the 5 mention it in their little bios - or do you think political party membership while involved in a political campaign is irrelevant?

I'm also a Manchester United fan. Should that be there too? I also enjoy long walks on the beach. Where should that go in?
    also if their political party membership is not seen as a liability then why do people get so touchy, threatening to bar people, demanding 'prove it' etc. every time the subject is raised? shouldn't GY be proudly listing their young FG/FF/GP/LP membership alongside their other "achievements"

No. It seems like someone who has 11 posts shouldn't really know this. Is it possible you've come on here, made wild accusations, and got banned. Subsequently you came back under a new account to make more claims.

Suggesting that GY is a FF/FG/Lab/Green backed organisation is just wrong, flatly wrong. But there are lots of people who are in partys. Pretty much nobody bar you seems to have a problem with this.
    All the other astroturf yes civil society groups also have links to the same political parties and business establishment as gen yes, for example as I mentioned already women for europe operates from IBEC's head office and is headed by a former FF election candidate Olive Braiden, while We Belong is headed by Olivia Buckley, a former FF communications director

Most people would find these facts significant in assessing the supposed independence of these campaigns

We Belong and Women for Europe are entirely different organisations. What is a link exactly? I've met people from Women for Europe before, does this constitute a link? I'm talking to you right now. Therefore you have links to Gen Yes. What the **** are you even talking about here?

you still haven't answered two simple questions:

1. why do none of these people mention their party affiliations on the GY website?

2. if their party affiliation is so trivial, why so touchy every time the matter is raised?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Propellerhead

..and in other news bear defecates in woods. :rolleyes:

Why the feigned outrage that those involved in a political campaign may be involved in political parties?

PHB wrote: »
    I'm also a Manchester United fan. Should that be there too? I also enjoy long walks on the beach. Where should that go in?

touchy touchy!

if you were involved in a campaign proposing major changes to how football is organised such as changing the relationship between UK and European football, then yes I would expect you to say who were a Man U fan as it is relevant to the topic you are campaigning on - it's an ethical issue similar to declaration of financial interests by politicians

obviously you can keep your penchant for long walks on the beach for online dating

i've never posted re lisbon here before by the way - under any name

your links argument is weak - i am not politically linked to you as: you are not providing me with an office for political work, nor have we held joint strategy meetings on the same side of a political campaign. nor have i run for the dail as a candidate of your party - those would all be political links - arguing against you on an internet forum is a not a political link

once again i have no problem with political party members campaigning on political issues, but i do have a problem with them neglecting to mention that they are in fact political party activists on their political campaigning material

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭free-man

WeeBushy wrote: »
    It costs Peoples Movement a euro for every click? Well I have an hour off now, would it be childish of me to spend it clicking on the link, wasting as much of their money as I can?

If so you have you've just wasted an hour of your life. Google can tell when 1 person is sitting there clicking away, it's called click fraud.

As for 'stealing' traffic. Google will only investigate claims where a trademark is being used to mislead users.

Add to that that there's so much money being pumped into 'independent' online websites with Adwords directing traffic there and your on thin ice..

• Advertisement
Advertisement