Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coding Horror

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Coding horror, I know people who've done the following and the picture says it all :P

302813.png

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Uploading code to production without testing? Why not just edit it straight on the live machines? :D

When I started at boards.ie the development process was "ssh into the production machines and use vim". Terrifying doesn't even begin to describe it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I know, vim :eek:

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Shush. I will have nothing bad said about the one true editor.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

IRLConor wrote: »
    Uploading code to production without testing? Why not just edit it straight on the live machines? :D
    Seen that, but with telnet instead of ssh... :eek:

• Advertisement

Banned for a month :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

Sparks wrote: »
    Banned for a month :D

Maybe he meant it like this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Starting working on a new project recently and met with the technical lead of the company I will be working with. He was going through the design of the application during which we looked at some of the code. It was a case of another MVC application, which was not MVC at all. I questioned this but got a blank stare in response.

Anyway, I noticed that there were no comments on the code at all, and I mean absolutely none, so I asked him about code commenting and the company standards that were in place relating to same. He replied that they don't comment code as it is "a waste of resources/time", followed by "code is code and if a developer cannot read and understand code, they shouldn't be in the business".

303244.gif

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

COYW wrote: »
    He replied that they don't comment code as it is "a waste of resources/time", followed by "code is code and if a developer cannot read and understand code, they shouldn't be in the business".
    You should do everything in really terse Perl and hand it off to him sans comments. Code is code, innit.

• Advertisement

oscarBravo wrote: »
    You should do everything in really terse Perl and hand it off to him sans comments. Code is code, innit.
    Why do it that way? Just write it in C, compile it to assembler, and hand in the assembler :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

oscarBravo wrote: »

I was thinking exactly along those lines. I haven't written Perl in two years or so. Time to brush up on it. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

What's with all these non binary casuals clouting up the forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Anyway, I noticed that there were no comments on the code at all, and I mean absolutely none, so I asked him about code commenting and the company standards that were in place relating to same. He replied that they don't comment code as it is "a waste of resources/time", followed by "code is code and if a developer cannot read and understand code, they shouldn't be in the business".

Run. Don't walk.

That can only be a precursor to problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Starting working on a new project recently and met with the technical lead of the company I will be working with. He was going through the design of the application during which we looked at some of the code. It was a case of another MVC application, which was not MVC at all. I questioned this but got a blank stare in response.

I would have probably had a panic attack then and there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

tumblr_mbjaxkrJzi1roglxl.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

My head of operations and project manager asked me what a use case was yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

if(pSomething != NULL)
    {
    	if(pSomeThingElse != NULL)
    	{
    		//  200 lines of Stuff
    	}
    }

// Let's change a few globals, I mean singletons here for the craic.
    // And now we'll block the UI thread

return TRUE; // Always true and caller doesn't even check the return value

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

200 lines?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

I'm all for commenting code, including doing that little XML documentation at the top of things that you get in Visual Studio.

But when I am head of a team I will ban the use of GhostDoc and any of those documentation-generating tools. In fact, anyone who produces XML documentation like this:
    /// <summary>
    /// Automatics the convert.
    /// </summary>
    /// <param name="type">The type.</param>
    /// <param name="value">The value.</param>
    /// <returns></returns>
    private object AutoConvert(Type type, string value)

/// <summary>
    /// Processes the and save.
    /// </summary>
    private void ProcessAndSave()

will first be sent on a six-week course in English, and then afterwards sacked. No warnings. No mercy.

(This was more of a rant than a coding horror, but it makes my blood boil to see people using these tools to generate nonsense XML documentation and then not even bother their arse to correct it to something that is actually useful.)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

Came across this beaut being committed today (variables renamed to remove business-related naming) - this line in a test:
    Assert.assertTrue("Record id's are the same!!", (recordId.longValue() != linkedRecordId.longValue() ));

got changed to be this line:
    Assert.assertTrue("Record id's are the same!!", (recordId.longValue() == linkedRecordId.longValue() ));

So if the test starts failing at this assert, the assertion message is actually lying - cue confusion for developers working on the test down the line!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

******************  Version 2  *****************
    * User:         [COLOR="Red"]Date: 5/01/01[/COLOR]    Time: 11:10a
    **********/
    MESSAGE "Option available soon" SKIP 
        VIEW-AS ALERT-BOX INFORMATION BUTTONS OK.
    RETURN NO-APPLY.

This code is in our production system. I only found it today. It's coming soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Beef wrote: »
    **********/
    RETURN NO-APPLY.

Only 13 years behind schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Beef wrote: »
    **********/
    RETURN NO-APPLY.

Christ there's other people out there developing Progress 4GL/OpenEdge???

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jonster

Christ there's other people out there developing Progress 4GL/OpenEdge???
    They were certainly hopeful in 2001 that there would be to make this happen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

BoKf2UWIAAASklj.png

Just scrolling through code and had to laugh at the comment above a function:

/* FIXME */

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Advertisement