Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PMS

Options
  • 18-09-2009 9:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hi Ladies

I suffer from seriously bad PMS. Everything and everyone puts me in a bad mood. I'm generally a really happy person. I feel so bad because I cant help fighting with my BF. We never fight any other time, we get on so well and we're just perfect for eachother. But for the week before and the week during my periods I'm a horror to live with. I suffered from depression a few years ago and I feel like I'm trying to fight that sometimes during PMS, I'm head does be all over the place.

Anyway I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions and how to feel better during PMS??

Thanks for reading!:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

I am a lunatic the week before my period. i get very down, and if you look at me the wrong way ill cry.

I just saw in a magazine yesterday that September 21st is PMS awareness week (in the uk anyway). Not much info on the link, just thought it was interesting, didnt know such a thing existed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

http://searchwarp.com/swa23618.htm

Some good advice here on vitamins and food that will help beat it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I can understand your stress OP! Even on different pills It's like I become a different person. I rant and rave and give out to my boyf then he gets upset, I get upset, and I wake up the next morning and can't understand why he is bothered about my behaviour the night before...it really really bothers me. Normally now he just leaves me alone for those 3-4 days but typically it's when I most want to be cuddled and feel loved! I get mad at him when he does come in, and when he doesn't. It's horrible!!!!

Grr PMS die!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 FC2009

Hi,

Thanks very much for your relpies, I've printed out all the info from them websites for some reading tonight (with a glass of wine!!!)

It's great to know I'm not the only one, none of my friends understand and they dont suffer from them. I've also changed pills a few times and it seems to work for a while and then I'm back to square one!

A hot bubble bath and my book always seem but help so trying to find time to have one is another thing!

Men really dont know how lucky they are!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭all_smilz

I totally understand what you are going through.... pill or patch or none, I become so insecure, depressed, irrational and utterly miserable- i have had probs with depression as well and it feels like its all coming back when i have PMS, my poor BF is great though but the guilt for my grumps kills me and i cant help it! arrrg!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I sometimes feel a bit grumpy/teary coming up to it, but it doesn't last long and it's not so severe that I can't hide it... However, even though that's mild, it does freak me out a bit. I'm normally in good form and to be hit by this out of the blue is horrible. When I started menstruating, at 12, I found the sudden temporary mood change quite traumatising - which of course exacerbated it.

Severe PMS must be absolutely horrific...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

I find it helpful to mark it in my diary - so when i'm in the midst of it i see it written down there and remember 'oh, yeah, that's why!'.

It also helps to schedule stuff around that time, anything to make life easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Every girlfriend I've ever had has had different reactions to PMS, some were ok with it and got a bit grouchy, although I was horrified to hear my ex say her boyfriend before me wouldnt sleep in the same bed as her when she was having her period, what a clown. Us guys will never understand it I guess, although I do like minding my missus when she's down with PMS, nothing a big mug of tea, some ice cream and a spooning up behind her rubbing her tummy wont cure :) I bought her a hot water bottle to leave at mine for when she's over and having her period, helps a lot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SheRa

krudler wrote: »
    Every girlfriend I've ever had has had different reactions to PMS, some were ok with it and got a bit grouchy, although I was horrified to hear my ex say her boyfriend before me wouldnt sleep in the same bed as her when she was having her period, what a clown. Us guys will never understand it I guess, although I do like minding my missus when she's down with PMS, nothing a big mug of tea, some ice cream and a spooning up behind her rubbing her tummy wont cure :) I bought her a hot water bottle to leave at mine for when she's over and having her period, helps a lot

Thats lovely:), really lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭lasair

I noticed my bf gets a tiny biteen of it once a month which i think is hilarious...he just gets a bit down/grumpy....

me on the other hand never suffered with PMS after 9 yrs until lately...Just before it i get emotional, like tears and stuff which is very unusual for me...the day before/day i get massive head aches and i feel like my eyes are about to pop due to pressure...Im on the pill for the last few yrs too..once it comes it all goes away then...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

FC2009 wrote: »
    Men really dont know how lucky they are!!!
    Hah, true. I saw a thread in R&R the other day dull of men saying we should just get over it and PMS can't be that bad. They so don't know. Luckily, I haven't been very emotional or easily upset/annoyed recently, just suffering from the wanting-to-stuff-your-face form of PMS. Which isn't great either but what can you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

SheRa wrote: »
    Thats lovely:), really lovely.

Thanks:) It really sucks for her though, gets really bad cramps and just gets really down in the dumps for a few days, us men have it so handy, no hormones to deal with

cuckoo wrote: »
    I find it helpful to mark it in my diary - so when i'm in the midst of it i see it written down there and remember 'oh, yeah, that's why!'.

It also helps to schedule stuff around that time, anything to make life easier.

thats a really good idea. i usually get upset about everything without even realising whats going on, then i get my period and go "aaaaaaaaaah thats why ive been psychotic for the last week" - thats my excuse anyway.
    Us guys will never understand it I guess, although I do like minding my missus when she's down with PMS, nothing a big mug of tea, some ice cream and a spooning up behind her rubbing her tummy wont cure :) I bought her a hot water bottle to leave at mine for when she's over and having her period, helps a lot

things like that really DO make a big difference. i had the cramps from hell last weekend, was staying with my ex at the time (long stupid story) & im sure i was awful awful company cause i was in bits but he was so good to me, hugs, cuddles, tummy rubs and icecream. sometimes you just need a hug.

this ex was actually always v good at spotting when i had PMS and would gently ask me when i was getting upset about stupid things if my period was due :o not in "time of the month eh? :rolleyes:" kinda way though - THAT really doesnt help :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭sofia11

Hi I really found exercise helps especially swimming conteracts that bloated feeling/water retention and is relaxing, any exercise helps enormously, even a walk gets the endorphins going we read about, you do really feel better. Exercise reduces the length of PMS to a day or 2 instead of a week it really makes a difference for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 moiragannaire

I got tablets in the US last time I was there called Pamprin, they help with cramps etc but also irritability and mood swings as well. Also I find if I eat healthily for the day or two before and avoid crap food it makes an unbelieveable difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

I'm terrible the week before my period and during it. I cry at absolutely anything and I'm as moody as hell. It drives me nuts, especially because I know that what I'm getting upset or annoyed about is stupid even at the time but really can do anything to stop it. My poor boyfriend gets the worst of it. I don't know how he puts up with me at that time of the month. A few months ago I actually burst into tears saying I hated being a girl, I don't think he really knew how to handle it as he couldn't exactly make it better. I will have to look at that site posted. Plus, I should be starting sport soon because its the beginning of a college year, I really hope it helps

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

weepy and chicky movies, chocolate, sugary tea, blanket, and fluffy cushion :D thats what usually makes me feel better!

oh and a cuddle and kiss from my OH always works a treat! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 maggiemae

Only started to suffer from this in the last few months.. I couldn't believe it when adverts on the TV started to make me feel weepy.. Thought I was loosing the plot!!!

A good diet on the days coming up to it make a massive difference though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SheRa

I've awful PMS at the mo. Savage cramps, back ache and boob pain:(. I dont know why its called pre menstrual syndrome:confused:, I get mine during my period.
    I forgot how crap it is, dont usually get it bad. I've been exhausted the last few days and have been upset most of today. I could do with a hug, but there's no one around:(. Ah well, it'll be over soon I suppose.

I also had a sense of humour lobotomy yesterday. *sigh* it really wasn't my weekend.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Oh it really is awful! Like you just know when your period is on its way. I try to remember to take my evening primrose capsules, and when I don't I do notice I get more easily irritated and just irascible! Very tender boobs too, not nice.
    For cramps I have a microwavable bean bag thing that smells like lavender, very comforting. I don't really like taking painkillers in general so the bean bag is great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Maybe we should call it Perhaps Men Should Try This PMSTT !
    I hate my frigging period so much It use to be for a week before hand i was just so emotional & a bit of a pain in the arse, now i get real bad craps some how for 20 yrs i avoided this ! argh Men have things so easy like peeing standing up and all that crap!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

although I do like minding my missus when she's down with PMS, nothing a big mug of tea, some ice cream and a spooning up behind her rubbing her tummy wont cure :) I bought her a hot water bottle to leave at mine for when she's over and having her period, helps a lot
    Legend.
    cuckoo wrote: »
    Great tip, i do this as well. Helps explain why one week a smart comment wouldn't upset me and the next week the same smart comment would have me either sobbing my eyes out at the unfairness of it or exploding with temper.
    Also I find if I eat healthily for the day or two before and avoid crap food it makes an unbelieveable difference!
    this has alot to do with it, I find that if i eat healthily my blood sugar levels stay even, hormone levels ain't so bad and overall PMT is manageable. Diet really does help in my case.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Oh lawd.. I get so p1ssy the days running up to it, my bf knows now what I'm like so he makes allowances for the abuse I give him.. Didn't help that he once told me it was 'all in my head' bad move darling... bad move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

i wish it was all in my head!

xzanti wrote: »
    Didn't help that he once told me it was 'all in my head' bad move darling... bad move.

heh i wouldnt imagine thatd go down too well at all. i have a friend who was never affected by her period. she couldnt understand how id be fainting from cramps or leaving school from the pain. i knew she thought i was just being a drama queen. few yrs later she gets affected slightly, nowhere near the extremes of some people, more just discomfort. i think she believes me now though :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ddoubletrouble

I know this is an old thread but was glad to find it.
    I suffer from what I now know is called PMDD Prementrual Dysphoric Disorder which lasts for anything up to 12 days before my period, about 3% of PMS sufferers get it this bad. I get very depressed, insomnia, forgetful and a kind of out of it feeling where I can't do normal routine things without concentrating really hard.
    I eat very healthily all the time, never take caffeine rich drinks, go for long walks, take evening primrose & multi-vitamins. It has even got to the stage that I am considering a hysterectomy just to get some type of normality back! I am 47 and have 2 grown up sons. Of course PMDD is always worse in times of stress so in the midst of a recession with bills mounting I don't think I could feel any worse and yes I'm crying at the moment. God I wish I was a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Lou85

I know this is an old thread but was glad to find it.
    I suffer from what I now know is called PMDD Prementrual Dysphoric Disorder which lasts for anything up to 12 days before my period, about 3% of PMS sufferers get it this bad. I get very depressed, insomnia, forgetful and a kind of out of it feeling where I can't do normal routine things without concentrating really hard.
    I eat very healthily all the time, never take caffeine rich drinks, go for long walks, take evening primrose & multi-vitamins. It has even got to the stage that I am considering a hysterectomy just to get some type of normality back! I am 47 and have 2 grown up sons. Of course PMDD is always worse in times of stress so in the midst of a recession with bills mounting I don't think I could feel any worse and yes I'm crying at the moment. God I wish I was a man.
    I know this is a late tread but my symptoms sound very like yours! I'm 27 with 2 babies under 2. I know that's stressful enough but my partner noticed that I get really bad and almost unbearable to be around. I've looked up the symptoms for PMDD and I can actually thick all the boxes! :(
    For years I've been thinking I was mad! :(
    Just wanna know if you have had a hysterectomy and has it helped?

Advertisement