Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat Stevens at the O2 in November..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

careca wrote: »
    Ryan also said he (Ryan) was embarrassed.
    If I was Gerry Ryan I'd be embarrassed too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

He and a security guard lambasted the people who were shouting and getting abusive. Security guard said one of his crew was assaulted, said he was head butted and bitten :eek::eek: Ryan reckoned Ireland would come out of it very bad when word gets to England about it. He wanted someone who had lost the plot to ring in but nobody did. They all agreed that Yusuf was naive and that it was mainly dissapointing but that people had over reacted, which is fair enough I suppose. He said he met Yusuf after and that he was visibly shaken. Ryan also said he (Ryan) was embarrassed.

Thanks for that, Careca. I've read all the posts here and it seems many people were disappointed. I was interested to hear what Gerry Ryan had to say as he was so looking forward to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mattfender

Wow at the people leaving in handcuffs. Worst I saw was one girl who had totally lost it and was parading along the stage trying to get Cat's attention. Luckily he didn't seem to spot her.

Think that was the stage manager!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mattfender

irishbird wrote: »
    LOL seriously ?

It was was Ronan Keating

the west end chap i think he means ha:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭the glass woman

I for one had not heard the interviews Jusuf had given during the week about the musical part, or seen any posters for the concert, however as a huge fan I bought tickets for myself and my husband and we both weren't sure what to expect but were willing to take that chance. It was obvious that most of the songs were going to be 'jusef' songs as opposed to cat stevens, so it was pretty pointless for the audience to be shouting for cat stevens songs all night, or 'where's cat?' during the musical part.

I did get incredibly frustrated during the musical, after about 10 mins, esp when I realised he wasnt going to be singing matthew and son, or wild world. And to be honest, I wasnt sure how much more of Jusuf we were going to see after the musical part. But when he came back and played another 45 mins after the musical, he more than made up for it, and the time he totalled on stage was equal to any other artist and worth the money we spent.

I felt very embarassed at the way the audience heckled and behaved, and it totally took the shine off the night, for jusuf aswell from what we could see.

Jusuf "I'm going to play you this new song"
    Audience "BOOOOOOOOO!"
    That was disgraceful.

He said it himself, he wanted to give us a 'show and a half', and technically he did, its a pity he was left apologising for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

mattfender wrote: »
    Think that was the stage manager!

No this def wasn't the stage manager. She had totally lost the plot.

Funnily enough, the security guard on the radio this morning mentioned her. Said she insisted on speaking to "Mr Stevens" as this "just wasn't right".

• Registered Users Posts: 43 balla

The advertising was misleading so the real issue here is the concert promoters misleading the public to sell tickets. The only ad I saw was in a newspaper a week ago, marketing the concert as a Cat Stevens greatest hits tour.

I'm a big Cat Stevens fan but hadn't planned to go to the concert until I saw that ad. Until then, I assumed it would be all Yusef's new material. There was definitely no mention of a musical in the ad. Couldn't afford 2 tickets in the end so I didn't make it but I'm glad now I didn't waste my money!

However, NOTHING excuses the way Yusef was treated and it's typical of a growing subset of Irish who have no manners and drink too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Sonic_exyouth

balla wrote: »
    The advertising was misleading so the real issue here is the concert promoters misleading the public to sell tickets. The only ad I saw was in a newspaper a week ago, marketing the concert as a Cat Stevens greatest hits tour.

I'm a big Cat Stevens fan but hadn't planned to go to the concert until I saw that ad. Until then, I assumed it would be all Yusef's new material. There was definitely no mention of a musical in the ad. Couldn't afford 2 tickets in the end so I didn't make it but I'm glad now I didn't waste my money!

However, NOTHING excuses the way Yusef was treated and it's typical of a growing subset of Irish who have no manners and drink too much.

This is the ad:
    http://blueroom.o2online.ie/Images/Yusuf_522x338-(1).aspx

This is the review in the English 'telegraph' paper.

Yusuf Islam at the O2 Dublin, review
    Islam revived his Cat Stevens' hits and previewed a new musical to mixed reactions. Telegraph rating: ****

By Brian Boyd
    Published: 11:54AM GMT 16 Nov 2009

yusuf-stevens_1523716c.jpg
    cat-stevens_1523715c.jpg

Gosh, what a show. There was a standing ovation, disgruntled walk outs, some unfeasibly beautiful music, some "we are bored" slow handclapping plus a surprise appearance by Ronan Keating. Yusuf Islam, formerly known as Cat Stevens, must be feeling very confused this morning.
    On stage at Dublin's 02 for his first proper series of shows since 1976, Yusuf had to put up with some very churlish and mean-spirited booing from sections of the audience. The huge posters outside read "Yusuf Islam" as did the name on the expensively-priced tickets but about one third of the way through the show, Yusuf decided to present a preview of the forthcoming musical based on his songs. Called "Moonshadow" and due to open in the West End next summer, you would have thought this would have been accepted gratefully as a nice "bonus feature" but the restive audience weren't best pleased.
    Featuring a ten strong cast, the actors worked their socks off trying to impress the crowd and while the majority of the audience enjoyed this unexpected offering, loud booing from some sections of the crowd sullied the moment. To be fair, these people had paid to hear Yusuf Islam sing these songs, not a bunch of actors and there were a few angry walk outs. From what we saw of "Moonshadow" though – it looks to be an excellent show in the making.
    Picking up in the dissatisfaction in the audience, Yusuf – who is perhaps the most serene frontman around these days – explained that he was merely trying to offer "a show and a half". He then brought his more-than-proficient six piece band back out on to the stage and normal service was resumed. Sounding for all the world like an Essex Willie Nelson, he wrapped that still remarkable vocal around a series of his greatest hits and some newer material. "Moonshadow" and a stomping version of "Peace Train" were real highlights and there was a particular treat for the Dublin audience when Ronan Keating joined him for a duet on "Father and Son" – Boyzone enjoyed a huge hit with an anaemic cover of the song in 1995. It was Keating's first public performance since the death of band mate, Stephen Gatley, who grew up on a street just around the corner from the O2 venue.
    As this show goes on to tour the UK, one can only hope that Yusuf retains the "Moonshadow" excerpt as it is a very well-worked (and free) sneak preview of a promising musical. At the end of the show, Yusuf – in a mock melodramatic nod to how another great songwriter once famously upset his audience by offering up something different – wryly said "now I know how Bob Dylan must have felt".

• Registered Users Posts: 43 B1G Al

I dunno... I think we were all a bit naive about what the show was about. i thought it was a bit strange when I noticed they were selling programmes with cast details and stuff in the foyer before the show. It could have been better advertised. 100e for a preview (of what looks and sounds like a high school musical gig) is a bit steep so I can understand why people were disappointed.
    That however was no excuse for the way those on stage were treated. I was down the front and the noise and roaring coming from behind was just like a baying mob. Surreal…
    I think yussuf handled it well but maybe should consider his audience. I guess I didn’t really appreciate he’s not Cat Stevens anymore but when he played and sang stuff like ‘lillywhite, ‘moonshadow’ and ‘father & son’ it made it all worthwhile for me. Sure, a few more of the classics would have been great but now I’ve sung ‘don’t be shy’ out loud with Yussuf Islam and that’s something I’m not going to forget J

• Advertisement

I don't remember that being the newspaper ad I saw (I could be wrong), but in any case you'd want pretty good eyesight to see the word "muscial" in the tiny red writing!!! (an intended ploy by the promoters?) Perhaps some people knew that "Moonshadow" was the muscial, but I had never heard of a musical or knew that was the name of it.

To me (and many others, judging from the reaction last night), the words "Moonshadow ...with songs by Cat Stevens" indicated that he would be playing his old stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭MMD

Interesting Telegraph take on the night.

Would anyone like to hazard a guess/furnish their thoughts on the % of the audience that was dissatisfied with the musical section.

By the loudness of the furore and booing I would estimate perhaps 30/40%. This is purely a guess.

My particular section was quiet, but visibly annoyed amongst themselves, with quite a few leaving very early. The booing seemed very loud throughout other sections the 02, excluding I think, the flat seated section.

where were you all sitting?

On reflection from last night, yes, I agree Yusuf perhaps made an error of judgement in terms of the lenght of the premiere (45 minutes was way too long), and I do suspect that revisions will be made to the show. Let us not forget that this was the opening night too. Not a fantastic way to start your tour in front of that audience, but it may assist tweak the show prior to hitting the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 siscri

To me (and many others, judging from the reaction last night), the words "Moonshadow ...with songs by Cat Stevens" indicated that he would be playing his old stuff.

album-Various-Artists-Here-comesel-Son--Songs-of-The-Beatles-with-a-Cuban-TWIST.jpg
    Look...the Beatles are playing.

The musical part was crap but so what? The rest of the gig was very good and he played almost all of the songs you could expect to hear. He didn't deserve to be booed and the rest of the singers didn't deserve to be booed. If you don't like it just leave...and miss the rest of the gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

The only ad I saw was in a newspaper a week ago, marketing the concert as a Cat Stevens greatest hits tour.

Where was this?

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, The Bothy Band, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies.

siscri wrote: »
    Look...the Beatles are playing.

Not an equal comparison. If it was a Paul McCartney concert, and the ad said "Here comes the sun .... songs by the Beatles". Would you not expect Beatles songs? Anyway I'm not criticising the concert or Yusef. Just the promoters misleading ads.

Anyway, as I said already, I'm pretty sure the ad I saw mentioned Cat Stevens hits. It was in the Irish Times Weekend Review probably Sat 7th Nov (or Sun 8th).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 carpedeum

We got our tickets sometime ago and the musical was clearly advertised! We knew that some classics would not feature because of Yusuf's change in beliefs.

The musical did go on for too long and we wanted Yusuf to sing those songs sung by the actors. However, there was no excuse for the heckling, booing and slow handclappling. Some people beside us, mid 50ish, were knocking back the booze and were effing and shouting! We felt embarassed as Irish people. 15 mins of the musical would have been sufficient though.

The worst moment was when the gougers booed when he announced that he was going to sing a new composition! I have never heard this reaction to new material at any other gig including Springsteen, Christy Moore, U2 etc.

I wonder how much of the carry-on was due to people just venting their frustration at the mess the country is in!

It wasn't a classic concert, but, let's face it, Cat Stevens is long gone.

P.S. Credit to Harry Crosbie on the new Point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I for one, was extremely disappointed at the whole thing.

Showcasing his new musical in the middle of it for nearly three quarters of an hour was a big mistake. I felt embaressed, as I told my wife it was going to be a good show.

I paid 200 euro for 2 tickets and 50 for a babysitter.

Pretty much a waste of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

MMD wrote: »
    By the loudness of the furore and booing I would estimate perhaps 30/40%. This is purely a guess.

I'd say thats probably a pretty good guess.

I rang the O2 at lunch time today, spoke to a lovely girl who explained that they've been inundated with complaints about the show and suggested I contact POD entertainments.

I rang POD who in turn said I must put my complaint into them in writing, including either my tickets or scan's of them to;
    POD Entertainment.
    Complaint Dept.
    39 Lower Leeson St.
    Dublin 2.

Of course I'll demand a refund, but in reality I'm expecting nothing however my complaint, disappointment & annoyance will go further than whinging about it here on boards.ie.

It was a terribly, terribly gig.

Genuinely, I feel so sorry for Yusef Islam too.

I've grown up listening to his beautiful music and believe him to be a genuinely soft, tender, beautiful person who didn't need or deserve to hear the abuse shouted at him.

But dammit, after last night it will be a long time before I listen to his music again - I want to forget the whole affair and put it down to a very bad & expensive experience.

Ok guys. Here you have it.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/archive/2009/1107/Pg023.html#Ad02302:25815C29418029F15C32B180
    Pg023.html#Ad02302:25815C29418029F15C32B180

Now tell me this is not misleading advertising

I'd say thats probably a pretty good guess.

I rang the O2 at lunch time today, spoke to a lovely girl who explained that they've been inundated with complaints about the show and suggested I contact POD entertainments.

I rang POD who in turn said I must put my complaint into them in writing, including either my tickets or scan's of them to;
    POD Entertainment.
    Complaint Dept.
    39 Lower Leeson St.
    Dublin 2.

Of course I'll demand a refund, but in reality I'm expecting nothing however my complaint, disappointment & annoyance will go further than whinging about it here on boards.ie.

It was a terribly, terribly gig.

Genuinely, I feel so sorry for Yusef Islam too.

I've grown up listening to his beautiful music and believe him to be a genuinely soft, tender, beautiful person who didn't need or deserve to hear the abuse shouted at him.

But dammit, after last night it will be a long time before I listen to his music again - I want to forget the whole affair and put it down to a very bad & expensive experience.

You got a full concert PLUS a chunk of a musical thrown in.
    Whay on earth would you expect a refund ?

It's a shocking indictment of the Irish gene pool that people such as you exist on our wee island.
    "I demand a refund as I got more than I paid for!"

• Advertisement

Ok guys. Here you have it.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/archive/2009/1107/Pg023.html#Ad02302:25815C29418029F15C32B180
    Pg023.html#Ad02302:25815C29418029F15C32B180

Now tell me this is not misleading advertising

You're ignoring the bit on the right

"Including Special premiere Showcase of the Musical Moonshadow"

I quote
    "Back in concert after 33 years.
    Singing all of Cat Stevens' Greatest Hits"

Shame on you concert promoters. Blatant lies and misleading advertising because the concert was not selling out as fast as you thought it would so you decided to lie to sell the rest of the tickets.
    This is the ONLY ad I saw and was what made me want to go to the concert!!! (which I didn't in the end as we couldn't pay over 150 euro for 2 tickets) but I am so glad I didn't.

This criticism is totally against the promoters not Yusef.....

I for one, was extremely disappointed at the whole thing.

Showcasing his new musical in the middle of it for nearly three quarters of an hour was a big mistake. I felt embaressed, as I told my wife it was going to be a good show.

I paid 200 euro for 2 tickets and 50 for a babysitter.

Pretty much a waste of money.

Unless you are one of the morons who left early, you saw a full gig, and you saw a chunk of a musical.

If you only expected the concert - you got that.
    How could that possibly be a waste of money?
    You got what you paid for.. plus more?

You're ignoring the bit on the right

"Including Special premiere Showcase of the Musical Moonshadow"

Well as I said already, in a smaller version of this ad, as was in the Times, the word "muscial" was barely visible. I did not see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shampoosuicide

Well as I said already, in a smaller version of this ad, as was in the Times, the word "muscial" was barely visible. I did not see it.

you should have gone to Specsavers

• Registered Users Posts: 49 siscri

I quote
    "Back in concert after 33 years.
    Singing all of Cat Stevens' Greatest Hits"

You're right...he didn't play every single one of his songs. I don't remember going to a gig where the artist played every song I wanted him to play.

Out of interest, what did he not play that you wanted, and did that justify booing him? Surely people should have booed when he finished the concert rather than in the middle?

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shampoosuicide

i think this is what happens when you go to a gig and think you have a divine right to hear the songs YOU want to hear and not what the artist wants to perform. it's a bit silly really, they're not performing monkeys. i go to gigs regularly and i often come away slightly disappointed they haven't played my favourite songs, but i still pay them full attention and often it's the unexpected song that bowls you over.

however, at the risk of sounding like a knob, i suspect the kind of people booing are the sort who buy one album a year and see the event as a big day out rather than an opportunity to hear a talented artist perform the material that they're currently invested in

Anyway apart from the musical, how can anyone who saw that Irish Times ad have expected that the rest of the show would be anything other than a greatest hits show????

Can you not get the point that the promoters were misleading the public? Blatantly mentioning "greatest hits" as if it was a greatest hits show.

And no, nothing justified booing him. I'm appalled at hearing about people's behaviour. I just think that promoters should be held accountable and people who felt they were misled deserve a refund.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭MMD

I wonder how much of the carry-on was due to people just venting their frustration at the mess the country is in!

[/quote]

I think this point is worth discussing, not because it is necessarily accurate, but for the underlying reasons.

The frustration of the audience last night was borne out due to the fact that people paid a very high ticket price for what in fact was a very good show with an naive over-long west end sandwich filling.

Entertainment is escapism. Yes, people also look for value for money, particularly in economically challenging times, and in these times, do have to pick carefully the shows they really want to see and sacrafice others, therefore, what occured last night in my opinion, was perhaps the one show of the year that some people chose to go to, but did not feel they got value for money/what they wanted due to miscommunication/false advertising or whatever.

Further, people were not expecting the duration of the musical section of the show to be that long. Regardless of what other posters say about the fact that this was advertised, did anyone really expect Yusuf not to be on stage for most of the 45 minutes that this segment lasted? More than likely not. A lot of people at that show last night would have given their right arm to hear Yusuf sing for example wild world live in an arena setting for the first time in years and not the cast member he had on stage singing it instead.

However, all of this has to be countered with the fact that there is no substitute for good manners either. People around me were shocked and angry yes, and politely conversed with their neighbours about the segment but no one was rude enough to shout/groan/holler.

Advertisement