Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TRIATHLON CLUB- Anyone Interested??

Options
  • 18-09-2009 3:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hey, have just started in NUIG and noticed thet the fastest growing olympic sport is not represented on the clubs list!!

Triathlon is a fantastic sport consisting of three disiplines completed one after the other, swimming, cycling and running! There are various distances ranging from very short races called super sprints ( for the complete 'underprepared beginner') to Ironmen ( Very long and challenging events). Triathlon is currently very popular in Ireland with 100's of races taking place during the peak season spring/summer! Trivially, triathlon is Lance Armstrong's original sport and in no doubt the challenges of the sport moulded him into the athlete he is today!

NUIG is an extremely ideal location for such a club with training facilities available for swimming at the Kingfisher, The Corrib river and the sea, for cycling around the beautiful city and countryside of Galway and for running at the state of the art running track at Dangan!

As you can see, this is a very exciting, challenging and rewarding sport for both the complete beginner and the seasoned athlete, ( Male and Female)! I find it very surprising that a University of NUIG's sporting reputation has no Triathlon club although i am sure many are interested. If you are, please let me know and i will carry out the necessary actions to get the club up and runnning in the next few weeks. If all goes to plan we will all be flying fit in March and ready to win some races!

P.S: If anyone has any experience or knowhow in setting up a new club here in NUIG your advice would be very much appreciated!
    Cheers!:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

go into the su and ask to speak to the clubs captain and they will help set things up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 pinnyoshea

Any luck so far with the club?

Im definately interested but would be a complete novice. Running Im not bad, swimming and cycling I have been building up but am still pretty useless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭cantona56

No, havnt managed to generate quite enough interest...i need 15 signatures, so far ive spoken to about 7/8 people who said they would be interested! Ive been busy partying the last few weeks so havnt put an awful lot of time into it to be honest ( Its Triathlon off season)! Starting back training myself this week! Dont worry about your ability, im no great shakes myself! It really is a fantastic sport! Are you hoping to do a triathlon?

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

I'm sure you could get 15 signatures.I might even consider joining myself although I don't think that I've swam in 2 years.

Yeah I'm hoping to do my first one when the season comes back around again in the spring. Calf injury so havnt been running for bout 6 weeks but recon my physio giving me the all clear this week, was swimming a good bit instead but Im not very good yet. Doin a masters so not as much time for training as I would like but can always fit it in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭AJ6000

would be interested in joining this club. Would be an above average runner, a very good cyclist but a hopeless swimmer! I would be knackered after the swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

AJ6000 wrote: »
    would be interested in joining this club. Would be an above average runner, a very good cyclist but a hopeless swimmer! I would be knackered after the swim.

I'm basically the exact same as this person.
    I would also be very interested

So will we make a move. I think I will definately be a good bit below the level of some of the people posting here but Im willing to help organise this. Posters might be an idea. Lets not let it slide, the semester is moving on and if its not done now maybe it wont happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭cheekay

im in...:) need a hand with any of the organising im sure i could help.give me a pm

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭nobbo

Im in and would love to help out!:)

• Advertisement

I'm in aswell

This going ahead or what??

This going ahead or what??

Ok, this is great that so many people are willing to help out! Maybe we'll put up some posters around campus and organise a meeting to get some signatures, see what kind of sessions we can organise etc. For this to be worth while we really should be up and running by jan/feb in order to be flying fit for the triathlon season beginning in April/ May. Sound like a plan??

By the way AJ, ya wouldnt happen to be in Pre Med would ya??

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭AJ6000

Nope! 1st Commerce International. Cant wait to get this up and running

Is this going ahead, if not Id be willing to take on the organising..

I agree. Will help out as muchas is needed to get this up and running. Would want to have a stand set up for clubs day so better get cracking

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Rob!

You got my support! ;) although i haven't actually swam in yrs. but ya, definitely up for it!

hi guys, great to see so much interest....thats a good idea about the stand for clubs day!....we'd really need to meet on monday to get organised if we were to generate interest on sports day on the tuesday!! Wat do ye think??

cantona56 wrote: »
    hi guys, great to see so much interest....thats a good idea about the stand for clubs day!....we'd really need to meet on monday to get organised if we were to generate interest on sports day on the tuesday!! Wat do ye think??

Great to hear your still organising it. Im defo up for a meeting on Monday.

I doubt we'll be allowed to have a stand at the clubs day but we could defo go around and collect signatures!

nobbo wrote: »
    Great to hear your still organising it. Im defo up for a meeting on Monday.

I doubt we'll be allowed to have a stand at the clubs day but we could defo go around and collect signatures!

I'll be up for this aswell.
    I'll need to work on my swimming- but pm me or let me know if there is a meeting

• Advertisement

Smokeys, 4 o clock?....if time doesnt suit we can rearrange!

cantona56 wrote: »
    Smokeys, 4 o clock?....if time doesnt suit we can rearrange!
    I can do 4 o clock
    will there be anything to distinguish the triathlon club people?

4 o clock is perfect

cool, lets meet at 4 then...bring others if you can...we'll put our heads together and see where we can go from there!!! see ye then!!!

Well ladies and gentlemen- I might not be able to make the meeting 2moro as I'm stranded and cant get a bus to galway.
    Hopefully I will be up for 4 but if not- I will pm one of ye and get the details of the meeting

i'll have a blue hoody on, black jacket and i'll sit with my bag on my lap till ye cum over....best i can come up with......no prob gill!!!

Could someone fill me in on what happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 -Aviron-

+ 1

Is this going ahead?.. Even just heading out as a group cycling or something would be a good laugh for starters...

i was in smokies for a good half an hour but didnt see anyone!....sorry if anyone was there and i didn't manage to pick ye out.....a group cycle sounds like a good idea??

• Advertisement

i went in but didnt see an group :( must have missed you

Advertisement