Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky digital in Smithfield market

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭DjTaz

I've spoken to System one asking for an update. They called the management company for me and then called me back. Apparently they have the equipment and are ready to go and set up in every block but they can't do it without the go ahead from the management company. Gerry Mulvey from the mgmnt company reckons some committee has to agree on it before it can be put in.

Who are these committee people? Can we call to their houses and force them to get sh*t sorted????

Sorry, 4 years of this, it's killing me slowly

Maybe a petition in through every door in the place to ring Gerry about this in the next few days might change their minds ?
    If he was getting constant calls from everyone im sure it would go to the top of the priority list.

That being said , if he is on commission from smart then he might be slow to want to change anything so that may be where the delay is - i have no proof of that and its just a theory , but one would never know ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Ryback

When I spoke to Gerry last it seemed like they were weighing up survey reports from Sky, UPC and SystemOne. I guess that's why SystemOne doesn't have the go ahead yet. No idea why this process has to take so long. I would hope they go with UPC so I can get rid of Smart completely

Ryback wrote: »
    When I spoke to Gerry last it seemed like they were weighing up survey reports from Sky, UPC and SystemOne. I guess that's why SystemOne doesn't have the go ahead yet. No idea why this process has to take so long. I would hope they go with UPC so I can get rid of Smart completely

Money makes the world go round , but sometimes makes it freeze for up to 4 years as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭PhilieQuinn

I'd be all on for some sort of petition thing, anything to get whoever makes the decisions get a move on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Mikey_G

Can I suggest a communal burning of all Smart STB's and dodgy remotes whenever the new system is installed? To think that after four years we are finally on the verge of evicting these cretins - a joyous day indeed.! Although I do want a provider with a HD option - my 42" Pani needs to stretch its legs! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 ponygirl

Hello,

Anyone got any updates on this? We just moved in to Smithfield Market and the thought of getting stuck with Smart for a year's contract is killing me...

Cheers

I think the only way to get something done here is to go to a radio station or newspaper about the monoply that is being forced on the smithfield market community.

Theres no reason to not make this decision to allow others in unless brown envelopes are chaging hands or someone has something to gain from the lack of choice in the buildings.

We probably need a meeting as a community to discuss all of this and get something signed by everyone showing how many want change.

Just fired off a letter to building management. Will update when i get a response. Talked to sky and they said they completed a survey and were just waiting on the green light. DO NOT sign a contact with Smart.

Thanks for the update. I'll do the same.
    Love living here so far, but this will get old fast!

ponygirl wrote: »
    Thanks for the update. I'll do the same.
    Love living here so far, but this will get old fast!

Yeah its a nice spot - theres always the cinema downstairs or chartbusters over the way to keep you occupied for now :p

• Advertisement

I talked to the manager of the complex last week and he said the managing committee were meeting at the end of last week to make a decision on who to let in.
    Apparently he's been getting a number of calls about this and is trying to push them to make a decision. I've heard all this before though, so I'll take it with a grain of salt. It might be worthwhile giving him a call to see what the situation is and see how long you might be waiting without TV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Insert name here

Hey, was just on to Sky re Block B. The guy says that 15ppl have "indicated their interest", and will be contacted if/when sky get into the block.

PS I havent moved into the block yet, didnt think this sorta thing would be an issue, hows long has it been goin on??

So, my findings/observations to date:
    1. Life is very different without TV. You feel out of the loop and slightly clueless. You read more, watch actual movies, drink more (yep Dice bar is fun) and phone people more in a thinly veiled attempt to alleviate boredom... All interesting phenomena but enough is enough... Those psuedo intellectual neoliberal types who advocate this as a lifestyle choice are like Zzzzzzz
    2. Sorry. See what happens when a person has to find their own entertainment? Nd Mr Ponyboy has left me for ESPN/UFC land tonight. Took what was left of my dignity not to follow him to machotown
    3. Whilst I do believe DjTaz may well be on to something re complex management (ahem) I don't think this will change unless it starts to hit the actual committee financially. Majority of committee are landlords who count on said management to keep block running smoothly (Cosy eh?). Only chance of them making waves will be if they sense that they will lose €€€ via lost or lowered rents OR if both committee and agents get so much lobbying from as many of us as possible that it becomes wearysome not to change.
    4. I haven't been on to SystemOne but both Sky and UPC sales people were familiar with the issue and seemed eager to get involved/do business. I made sure they had all relevant (public) contact details ;-) All I can think of is to support / join them in being as annoying and persistent as possible.
    5. Phew. That is all.
    6. P.S. Dogtooth is a very disturbing movie...

Hi guys, just received a reply from the Property Manager yesterday regards current situation. Not very enlightening I'm afraid:

"I have identified 3 complimentary TV services for this development; SKY, UPC & SystemOne. These companies have surveyed the development & are waiting on a response. I have passed all information on to the board of management for a decision".

I'm sure if they do make a decision it will be based on cost and not whats best for the residents but we live in hope!
    Ponygirl, i agree "no TV and no beer maker Homer something something.. Go crazy? Dont mind if do!" Although if u have internet broadband you can use bittorrent software to download any TV program you want. If it wasn't for the fact I enjoy watching live sport I wouldn't even need a TV package. And yes Dogtooth is a very disturbing film although strangely engrossing.
    Stay sane!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jenty

Gerry from the mgmt company has been saying the same thing since january..it is up to the board to decide and he should have news soon..

Nothing has been decided yet and it is increasingly frustrating . I was going to sign up to Smart but they are double the price of Sky for less channels and an installation fee of 80e!!

The SKY dish is on the roof of the complex according to Sky and it just needs to be activated.

It is a bit ridiculous for a large complex to have an inadequate TV provider :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I'm not holding my breath for it to happen and honestly I've become to enjoy life without a TV. I get more done.

Im just off the phone to Gerry. He bascially said that he's within a week of an answer from the board of management. He says that a descision will be made for either NTL, Sky or System One. I asked if it would be possible that the board might choose none, and continue to only provide a service from Smart. He said that this cannot happen, as Com Reg (Commission for Communications Regulation) have been in touch with regard to anti-competition etc etc. He added that he hoped that the board would in fact choose two new providers, so as to offer a real choice for tenents.

I asked about the rumour that Sky already have a dish up on the roof, and he said that there is a dish, however it has been there for a long time, and belonged to Thomas Reids pub. If Sky get into the block, this wont be the dish they use.

There was a load of Sky guys in Block A this morning, they're putting up a dish in the complex. They said it would be ready in about 3 weeks. Tried to get onto Gerry to see if he has any further info regarding UPC, as he said he hoped to get 2 of Sky, UPC and SystemOne in, but I haven't been able to get hold of him.

At least it's looking like we'll have an alternative to Smart at last.

Good news folks - looks like sky have been awarded the contract. I saw one of the Sky technicians in Block A today and had a chat with him - they are hoping to have all the equipment in place within the next 3 weeks. The hour of Smarts demise grows ever closer! :-)

Thanks for all the updates, that's good news.
    Funny thing though, now I've gotten used to live without TV I'm not sure I want it back. Love havng the extra time to read and go to the movies and meet real people!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Don't give up hope - I hear that Sky could be up and running in weeks..

Just off the phone to Sky, they say it will be "at most" 7-10 days until were able to place an order with them to have the box installed. After that you recieve a Viewing Card in the post (which takes approx 5 working days)and then the engineer comes out to do the job (approx 2-3days). So we should all be up and running in 18 days....let the countdown begin!

Is there any kind of one off installation fee with this lot or is it free?

I wonder how easy Smart will make it for us to drop their TV package and keep broadband

I'm sure everyone got one of these , but just in case ill psot it up for all to see.

I'll have to ring them in a bit and see what the story is.

I was also told that u need 2 cables for a sky plus box - i wonder if they have that issue dealy with or do we need to get ordinary sky. Seemingly if u get the sky plus and only have one cable they still charge you for it but u dont get the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 JohnnyC81

I've been on to Sky. There is a limit of three cables to each apartment. That would mean 3 standard boxes or a Sky+/HD box and one standard box. If you want multi-room you must have an Eircom line. Smart's line is not acceptable.
    Eircom are currently offering free installation and the blocks are compatible with their NGB 8Mb broadband. Anybody get Eircom's NGB network in a Smithfield Market apartment?

JohnnyC81 wrote: »
    I've been on to Sky. There is a limit of three cables to each apartment. That would mean 3 standard boxes or a Sky+/HD box and one standard box. If you want multi-room you must have an Eircom line. Smart's line is not acceptable.
    Eircom are currently offering free installation and the blocks are compatible with their NGB 8Mb broadband. Anybody get Eircom's NGB network in a Smithfield Market apartment?

I have an eircom line in block A.

I do have DSL on the line but i work for an ISP so i got it myself - its an 8 meg connection thats currently self adjustint to a 7 meg for stability though i have seen it auto negotiate at 8 and stay stable for quite some time.

I ordered the line on a wed and it was installed within 1 week - ordered
    the dsl to be activated on the line and it was up and running in about 6 hours (which is pretty fast)

I also spoke to sky and they informed me that theres an installation fee of 67.50 with smart and its 30 install if theres an eircom line.
    Basic package was 22 per month.

DjTaz wrote: »
    I also spoke to sky and they informed me that theres an installation fee of 67.50 with smart and its 30 install if theres an eircom line.
    Basic package was 22 per month.

This is true too, but if you want multi-room its Eircom only I'm afraid, at least that what I understood from the conversation.

JohnnyC81 wrote: »
    This is true too, but if you want multi-room its Eircom only I'm afraid, at least that what I understood from the conversation.

Yes, they said that to me too - need eircom for multiroom. But if there are 3 cables coming into each apartment i dont see why there would be an issue with multiroom ?

DjTaz wrote: »
    Yes, they said that to me too - need eircom for multiroom. But if there are 3 cables coming into each apartment i dont see why there would be an issue with multiroom ?

I'm not sure why, maybe somebody else could give an explanation. What I do know is its part of the terms & conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 networkguy

I didnt know Eircom was in Smithfield Market - Just called them and they were clueless.

Anyone got Eircom? Would love to get rid of Smart and get Eircom and Sky in

Advertisement