Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paranormal Activity

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Alicat wrote: »
    I saw the original ending one last week and I was kinda freaked out, but I'm easily affected by mindf*ck movies....can't watch Blair Witch by myself :rolleyes:

Think I would have preferred the new ending though, because that would have really freaked me out.

Saw the new ending myself, definitely chilling. Especially when it says at the end
    "To this date Katie hasn't been located", it chills you to the bone wondering what the demon has done with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Saw the new ending myself, definitely chilling. Especially when it says at the end
    "To this date Katie hasn't been located", it chills you to the bone wondering what the demon has done with her.

I know what he did with her.....

He carried her right back to the studio where they'll be makin a seqel and a mint of money!
    :pac:

I know what he did with her.....

He carried her right back to the studio where they'll be makin a seqel and a mint of money!
    :pac:

No no no no no! :mad: :P

No no no no no! :mad: :P

Paramount have already said they're considering it!
    Speaking to the LA Times, Paramount Chairman Brad Grey said, "We have the rights on a worldwide basis to do Paranormal 2, and we're looking to see if that makes some sense."

Paramount have already said they're considering it!

:eek:

blurb_facepalm2_20090622.jpg

Better get ready for another Book of Shadows so. :p

• Advertisement

:eek:

Better get ready for another Book of Shadows so. :p

I didn't even subject myself to that!

First one is scary enough :o

I didn't even subject myself to that!

First one is scary enough
    :o

I only saw it last year, the thing that freaked me out more than anything was being helplessly lost in freaky woods, **** that! :eek: :p

I only saw it last year, the thing that freaked me out more than anything was being helplessly lost in freaky woods, **** that! :eek: :p

I know! :eek:

Silly students :rolleyes:

They set themselves up, was all their own fault!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Normal or alt. ending doesn't change the film. They left the doors open so they could see as much as possible with one camera (and that worked great i thought)

my problem is that the scares were implied too often, and never built up to anything big. Oh,
    someone's running up and down the stairs a 3rd time? But doesn't do anything? Oh :(
    Once I realised that there was not gonna be any scares it really took the wind out of my sails.

It's annoying that
    they never left the house, or got help from someone else --maybe a budget constraint-- and stayed in the house. Seemed kinda stupid/naive.

I didn't like the movie at all but I'm glad so many people did. I can only summarise that they completely bought into the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Went to see it last night. Holy crap is all i can say. Scariest film ive seen in a long long time and i am not easily scared by films. Even when nothings happening its still really creepy wondering whats gonna happen next.
    Not a great film for me to watch though as im movin in with my gf next month into a house and its just the two of us.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Ouijaboard

I saw it last night, I thought it was superb, really suspenseful slow burning edge of seat stuff. Its in the classic Hitchcockian format of letting your imagination build tension and not release it. For 1hr 40mins your head is trying to imagine what the f**k this beast is. Its perfectly subtle and that's what keeps you on the edge of your seat right the way through.

I hate saying the usual pompous stuff about how some people dont get it and all the usual didnt understand it comments, but I really do believe that people miss the point of this and that is to use your imagination.
    Now i do realise some people dont have an imagination and want everything presented to them on a platter and to be honest its fairly obvious that these folks wont be a fan of this type of suspense horror.

In this circumstance tho I need to know what exactly do these people want to see? The footsteps, bangs, doors moving, screaming at the unseen builds tension, yes it is implied, but exactly what do ye want to see? ...some cgi demon present itself so that you can then piss on that effect and reinforce your opinion that the film is a dud anyway.

Sorry you don't get it that easy i'm afraid, its best to go back to trying to find the 'perfect' horror for yourselves, its doesn't exist tbh, its either this type of slow subtle tension building flick or freddy kruger in your face crap. I know which format i like better.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Went to see it last night.

I thought it was pretty good actually, despite the fact a lot of the tension was lost due to the cinema being full of stupid little girls who couldnt shut up the whole way through.

It didnt really bring anything new to the fold, but what it did do, it did pretty damn well.
    I liked the slight spin on the usual forumla, the rational guy isnt always able to fix things for the helpless wife/girlfriend.

And judging by the faces of some the the wee lassies leaving the cinema...they will pay for almost ruining the film for me with nightmares! That is satisfying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Eirebear wrote: »
    Went to see it last night.

I thought it was pretty good actually, despite the fact a lot of the tension was lost due to the cinema being full of stupid little girls who couldnt shut up the whole way through.

It didnt really bring anything new to the fold, but what it did do, it did pretty damn well.
    I liked the slight spin on the usual forumla, the rational guy isnt always able to fix things for the helpless wife/girlfriend.

And judging by the faces of some the the wee lassies leaving the cinema...they will pay for almost ruining the film for me with nightmares! That is satisfying.

I had a similar experience at a screening lastnight. Don't these kids know Twilight is on! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Banter Joe

Raekwon wrote: »
    The ending I saw was the original one where
    she stabs Micah then the cops shoot her
    but I downloaded the ending that is being shown in the cinema where
    Katie throws the pillow at the camera then creeps up to in on her hands and knees before suddenly diving for it

I'm pretty sure
    Katie throws Micah's body at the camera.
    Definitely a way better ending than the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Banter Joe wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure
    Katie throws Micah's body at the camera.
    Definitely a way better ending than the original.

Yeah this is what happened. Much better ending.
    My problem was who sleeps with the bedroom door open like that? Must be a bitch to keep that house warm if they leave all the doors open! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Lone Kimono

I find Micah very annoying. Arrogant and does not recognise the extent of the problem. Get help you idiot. :mad:

I thought it was a good film though. I'm a huge horror fan but not a fan of the Saw films and the usual hollywood horror films. I wasn't a huge fan of the ending, I thought it gave too much away (I know, the exact opposite of most people who wanted to see more) but it was still one of the scarier films I have seen in years.

I find Micah very annoying. Arrogant and does not recognise the extent of the problem. Get help you idiot. :mad:

Yeah.
    Mad Prof: Don't use a Ouija Board!
    Micah: I'm getting the Ouija Board tomorrow!
    I mean seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

As annoying as he is thats pretty realistic. Guys can be like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

6th wrote: »
    As annoying as he is thats pretty realistic. Guys can be like that.

Completely agree, even to the extent of their arguments, when he shouted
    "You go upstairs and hang out with your buddy"
    or words to that effect i burst out laughing because i knew fine well if i was in the same position with my wife i would have lashed out in the same manner.

Guys try to be rational and fix everything, despite our own failings, even more so since the internet became so easy to access...we have a tendancy to think were experts on everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Finally got around to seeing it. Hate to sound like I'm sitting on the fence, but after getting the impression that this film is marmite, I thought it was decent if unspectacular.

The good: Some nice tension in places.
    The best 'night' scene was undoubtedly Katie being dragged off the bed. Very cool.
    Good performance from the actress who played Katie
    , her deterioration from a little creeped out to full blown headcase was done well.

The bad: The boyfriend. What an utter douche of the highest order. I can appreciate what the posters above are saying about him being a realistic enough portrayal of a stubborn guy wanting to fix everything himself, but for me he was a bit OTT at times and hard to take. I also felt that the premise became very formulaic, very fast.
    Footage of them pottering about during the day, the mounted camera pointed at their bed at night. An incident that will get them up at some stage, but then fade until the morning. Repeat. I also felt that enough of those 'incidents' weren't terribly interesting. I mentioned my favourite above, but they were too few and far between imo. Too many of them relied on indistinct noises and other, let's face it, clichès (door swaying, bed-sheets lifting).

Probably worth noting that I saw the original ending. Having read the description of the theatrical, I think I'm better off. If for no other reason than
    I could pretend that a sequel was not in the works.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭finalfantasist

I didn't find it scary until the end when
    she throws Micah against the camera.
    Good though, just not scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Harpic

went to see it last night and thought it was very boring,not scarey at all,very disappointed.Thought Blair Witch was much better for scares

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just back from this and wasn't the biggest fan tbh. Perhaps I've just grown fed up with the whole 'homemade' feel of horror films. As much as I love Rec (brilliant film) the whole thing is getting overdone with the likes of Cloverfield, and the novelty has worn off. While there are some decent moments in Paranormal Activity
    (dragging out of bed, Micah being hurled at the camera)
    I felt it was just the Blair Witch formula transplanted into a house - gradually increasing scares, night vision cameras, and
    ultimately shock death of the protagonist(s).
    I enjoyed the experience (as I do with most horror films in cinemas as the audience tend to be more entertaining - but do some people need to scream and proclaim "OMG"? Seriously, it is a movie ffs) but as a film it is lacking. There were also some laughs (the
    "I have to leave this house right away"
    scene) although I'm still not quite sure if they were intentional! I still prefer this kind of creepy horror film than the Saw type (although surprised at the dislike of Martyrs here - thought that was refreshingly intelligent) but I never felt scared during this. And at the end of the day, I'd say it is all down to the (now) tired style and the irritating, unlikable characters.

Also: reading up on the original ending? Sounds awful - think the ending was the highlight for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 The SGPS

Well, myself and my gf thought it was pretty awful but it had moments of genuine amusement. The end was greeted with a loud guffaw from the audience in Cineworld. Not sure if that's typical of most audiences. I've just written a long review of it for our blog so I won't bother waxing lyrical here but suffice to say if you enjoy badly acted/scripted films for the amusement value they provide you'll enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

This movie reminded me of the bad ghost train ride at the amusments in Bray. Small creepy "scares" leading up to a big finale and then when the lights came on, everyone was laughing their heads off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Last Ten minutes were good in the alternate ending (original)

First 1 hr and 25 were sh!t.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,135 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Should have been named " Go See Harry Brown"

Really,really really poor.

I've never ever been into horror films. They all seemed to be complete ****e to me, non scary, gorefeasts and just all round ****e acting.

This was really really really poor imo and I'm annoyed i actually wasted time watching it : /

Really the final straw for me and horror films, never again... I'd put this up there in a category with "Black Christmas" for **** horror films..... thats how little i thought of this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Raging Bob

All horror films seem to be complete ****e to you? Interested to see your list of 5 films or so.

How can people be upset with the acting here? Nothing wrong with it at all, they did a good job. Maybe the guy that they sought help from was a little bit weak but not that bad. And what the hell does 'gorefeast' have to do with this? Are you sure your replying in the correct thread (I say this as you begin your post with "Should have been named " Go See Harry Brown"").

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Raging Bob wrote: »
    All horror films seem to be complete ****e to you? Interested to see your list of 5 films or so.

How can people be upset with the acting here? Nothing wrong with it at all, they did a good job. Maybe the guy that they sought help from was a little bit weak but not that bad. And what the hell does 'gorefeast' have to do with this? Are you sure your replying in the correct thread (I say this as you begin your post with "Should have been named " Go See Harry Brown"").

I'm sure he was just indicating that Harry Brown was a good movie, and that anyone interested in seeing this, should have just watched Harry Brown instead :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

i had a few jumps but all in all i thought this film was basically piss poor and in no way lived up to the hype of being 'genuinely scary'. i didnt like blair witch project but i certainly found it more creepy than this. in short, a load of me arse.

Advertisement