Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lasting on a football pitch

Options
  • 16-09-2009 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭

Hi. I play alot of football and just wondering what would be the best training schedule to do in order to last on a pitch. Would it be alot of long distance running or many different sprints? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

It'd be both dude, seems like ya know what to do!

I think if maybe you ran 10km in around an hour twice a week and then performed several 50 metre sprints twice a week as well you'd get what you're lookin' for! Maybe some days sprint for 10 and 20 metres too to. But you're onto what I reckon will be a winning formula with the long distance one day, sprints the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Thanks for the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

FunkZ wrote: »

I think if maybe you ran 10km in around an hour twice a week and then performed several 50 metre sprints twice a week as well you'd get what you're lookin' for! Maybe some days sprint for 10 and 20 metres too to. But you're onto what I reckon will be a winning formula with the long distance one day, sprints the next.

also go to training with your team,im sure they must do sprintwork in their training programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Oh I do. But the training is not the best. Not even a warm up like.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Do your own. Frankly some clubs trainings methods are a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

our trainers are very good,youd be trying to guess what drills theyd be using next as theyre very varied ,so lucky in that respect.usually beat after the sprintwork but thats what ya want.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

FunkZ wrote: »

No offence but two 10km runs a week? grand if you are training to actually run 10k's. It might train you to jog all day round a pitch but not very useful for the stop/start agile nature of football.

You'd do well to go off and plan a 40-50 minute session for yourself say twice a week and fit it in around your training.

example:
    10 mins warming up, all dynamic movements (not jogging laps)
    10-15 HIIT look up intervals/fartlek running and you'll get the idea
    10-15 minutes of agility style sprint
    i.e 3 cones 5m apart, run 1 to 2 to 1 to 3 to 1, 3 times (5 sec break) after 1 set of 3 take 60 second break, repeat set 10-12 times. emphasis on sharp turns and explosive off each turn

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

Doyler92 wrote: »
    Oh I do. But the training is not the best. Not even a warm up like.
    Consider finding a new club.

Advertisement