Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

tackle shops

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Just spotted this shop when fetching some ink believe it or not!

http://www.baracudafishingtackle.ie/

in Artane, thing that caught my eye was the following on the advertising board outside
    Do you want to go fishing? You have no bait! We can help! For a minimum buy of 20 we can open the shop at anytime you want!

"

• Registered Users Posts: 3 PikingPiker

Does anyone know any shops (online or in Dublin) where I can get soft plastics? I'm looking for cheap loose grubs/shads etc. Tried Rorys and ABC, they don't have much of a selection in terms of soft baits.

I know Aliexpress/ebay would be the best place but I don't want to wait for shipping from china.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭.red.

Google agm discount fishing. Their uk based but have reasonable shipping. They dont have any of the fancy expensive brands but have some cracking plastics at great prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭deni20000

Pat Nolans Premier Angling Nenagh - probably one of the best in the country for fly fishing only and the best for fly tying materials. No particular opening hours - phone first 067-33997 or 087-9292665. Rods and reels go up to crazy prices but you get what you pay for and there's some reasonably priced stuff too. Also sells second hand rods.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Around me, I use the following for sea-angling - I have no idea about their course/game gear:
    • Drogheda Angling Centre (no website) - reasonable selection and has ragworm too.
    • Duo Hook - only used it once, but they seem to have a good selection. I think they also have a shop in Dublin.
    It might be a good idea to gather the information in this thread as a sticky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Br4tPr1nc3

Does anyone know any shops (online or in Dublin) where I can get soft plastics? I'm looking for cheap loose grubs/shads etc. Tried Rorys and ABC, they don't have much of a selection in terms of soft baits.

I know Aliexpress/ebay would be the best place but I don't want to wait for shipping from china.

try baracuda in artane,
    or henrys in ballybough and then theres swords tackle shop too,
    each have different selections of soft plastics.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭gumbo1

I couldn't recommend both ABC beside the fruit market in Dublin and Barracuda in Artane. Both are well stocked and reasonable prices for deadbaits and terminal tackle. Barracuda is quite handy for opening for 20€ min spend with is fairly easy to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

My father texted me to say the tackle shop on the kinsale road in Cork is closing. It's a shame. They had a great set up there. Two week closing down sale on for anyone close by to stock up for the coming season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭.red.

SeaFields wrote: »
    My father texted me to say the tackle shop on the kinsale road in Cork is closing. It's a shame. They had a great set up there. Two week closing down sale on for anyone close by to stock up for the coming season.

Cork Angling? Thate a shame. I didnt use them a whole lot but anytime i did they always made time for a quick chat and a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

Very nice and friendly but I found em a bit expensive and didn't do salmon licences

Picked up a few bits and bobs in the sale alright

You will have to look hard for a shop to compete with t.w. Murrays in my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Traditional

best tackle shop i was ever in was in Drumcondra catch tackle was the name of the place on sion hill road , a big double fronted shop and loads of parking , once i bought a trolling rig that you could use 2 lures at a time , caught a pike and a trout on it at same time , lots of unusual stuff in it , does anyone one know where he is now ? as i could do with a double rig that he made himself .

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

A friend of mine is a keen competition angler and coach, he's having a big birthday soon and a few of us want to club together and get him a voucher for a good tackle shop in Dublin or online option with a good range.

Can anyone recommend places in Dublin or quality online services where i could get a voucher for him?

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭gumbo1

Larbre34 wrote: »
    A friend of mine is a keen competition angler and coach, he's having a big birthday soon and a few of us want to club together and get him a voucher for a good tackle shop in Dublin or online option with a good range.

Can anyone recommend places in Dublin or quality online services where i could get a voucher for him?

Southside Angling Centre. They have a good range of stock and can order anything that's not in store!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

gumbo1 wrote: »
    Southside Angling Centre. They have a good range of stock and can order anything that's not in store!

Agreed, on Cork Street, they would have one of the biggest ranges in Dublin

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭swift220

Larbre34 wrote: »

If your friend is a fly angler Clonanav fly angling will be a paradise for him probably the the best fly fishing shop in ireland imho. heres a link below

https://www.flyfishingireland.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭MWforumfisher

great selection in viking tackle bray~really helpful staff, invited me to join clubs and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

Swords angling is worth a look too. Ruairi the owner is sound

• Registered Users Posts: 40 JOhnty78

Anyone else use these? Found them on adverts first but theres a better selection on the website. - www.reeds.ie

ive used them twice and very happy both times. Cheap too, cheaper than even english shops for what i wanted!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

I just opened Slaneyfishing.com today - still in it's infancy but many products live now - flies are probably the best value around and tied beyond any silverbrook etc standard i have seen.

Also any feedback welcome, by pm, not to be clogging up the thread.

I just see that reeds.ie is having a closing down sale. It's a pity as they had a nice selection of stuff. There's 40% off online at the moment in anyone needs to stock up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

SeaFields wrote: »
    I just see that reeds.ie is having a closing down sale. It's a pity as they had a nice selection of stuff. There's 40% off online at the moment in anyone needs to stock up.

Thanks SeaFields.

Quick reminder that we're closing tomorrow. 40% off everything with code 40PX and free gifts (fishing tackle) with all orders all weekend. A very rare chance to stock up on cost price fishing tackle.

Thanks to all customers for their support over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

Treated myself to a very sweet pair of waders from the swords angling center in applewood in swords. It’s a small ship with a big selection of very well priced stuff for sea, coarse and fly fishing. The guys know their fishing and seem to sell everything. Their selection of flies is excellent. They also sell plenty of bait. I’m going back tomorrow to pick up a few cheap things I should’ve bought, hope they are not gone, like Mustad knives for a fiver. Tomorrow evenings weather is going to be gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Tide times though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Rosahane

It's not apparent from the outside, but McCarthy's in Prosperous have a brilliant tackle shop hidden in the depths of a builders providers. a huge amount of coarse gear but also pretty much everything you need for game fishing and some sea fishing equipment. They also have shooting stuff and clothing and footware.
    James, the manager is a serious coarse fishing addict who usually get a few specimens every year. They have a website www.huntingandfishing.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭BigSprogs

Carty's land and sea in Bundoran is great. Seán, the owner, is always on site to give a hand with anything and he's got a wide range of knowledge

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

https://anglerschoice.ie/

Came across this chap in Carrickmacross recently, bought some small stuff from him, very genuine nice fella, Ordered a few packets of hooks I couldn't get anywhere else and they were delivered in a day or 2, good service, bait prices very reasonable too, handy if you're fishing up that way and need a few bit

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

I have used southside in Dublin a few times over last few months and I'm from cork

I just message him the order on facebook and its at my door the next day or 2. Very easy maybe a little too easy ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭poo poo

Just found Slaneyfishing.com on facebook and see they posted above back years ago. The fly tying gear is priced superbly imo - just bought these - "Whiting" Best value anywhere I have looked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭dazza161989

I've been getting my stuff recently from The Angling Hub in Tralee.

Martin who owns it is a pleasure to deal with I'd highly recommend!

Advertisement