Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rubberbandits? love/hate?

Options
2»

Comments

I heard their prank calls a few years ago (circa 2005/6 i think) and thought they were pretty funny and have seen a few of their music vids which i actually think horse outside is the least funny of them all

I think they should draw the line at musical humour though because i don't think their non-musical bits these days work too well, they seem to have turned to a surreal and obscure kind of humour, kind of like vic reeve's style i.e. saying something weird = it's funny, when really it's just still weird!

It doesn't take anything away from the music vids though, funny enough stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭DamienOB

IS this seriously how low expectations for Irish comedy are?

They are pure and utter ****e. Not in the slightest bit funny, and i for one cannot wait til the infatuation with these morons ends. A centra bag on your head, yeah hilarious stuff. (IMO :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

DamienOB wrote: »
    A centra bag on your head, yeah hilarious stuff. (IMO :))

Yeah, cause that's what the joke is. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

Some of their sketches on ROT are really good while others only so so. Most of their prank calls are hilarious.

Blind Boy was impressive on Liveline. Liveline callers are always good for a laugh.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Yeah, cause that's what the joke is. :rolleyes:

Its PART of the joke, if its not for a humour factor, they are more idiotic than i first thought

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Its PART of the joke, if its not for a humour factor, they are more idiotic than i first thought

Maybe its just the easiest way to conceal their identity? :rolleyes:

Or they could be reusing plastic bags to try and help the environment?? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Theres many reasons for a performer to conceal their identity. If nothing else it gets attention, and people have focus on the act not the person.

I didn't think the bag is meant to be a joke either. Its part of the act, yes. But a joke? If you think its meant to be a joke, what do you think is the joke?

Considering they turn on/off the crude stuff as the situation demands, like TV work, They know exactly what they are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Really really don't like them, don't find them funny, find them quite annoying in fact, they remind me of people who listen to i105-107 (which is a North-Eastern/Midland County radio station for people not in the know), who listen to awful chart music, and think somethings good because everyone else likes it, commoners who just can't think for themselves. They're just awfully 'meh', they fill everything full of boring clichés, stereotypes and such, for the sake of dumbing down everything for the idiot public. Call me a snob, but there's nothing intelligent about what they do, in my opinion they're not funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Henno30

I quite like a lot of what they try to do, but their execution isn't all that great. It's all a bit dependent on the exaggerated persona and there isn't an awful lot else going on.

They seem like sharp lads and they've taken some awful ignorant criticism, exemplified on that Liveline show which showed our very own Daily Mail readership in full reactionary flow. At the same time they've received some fairly hysterical acclaim that won't do them any good in the long run.

On balance, I would say that like Hardy Bucks (the internet series) they've shown great initiative and produced genuinely original affectionate parodies of places and people you will never see on screen otherwise, certainly not for positive reasons.

Sadly, there isn't much of a comedy audience in Ireland and what they do is very much for a niche audience who like offbeat stuff. Unlike the UK, the numbers just aren't present in Ireland to sustain an act like this to maturity and to the point where they are more confident and competent with what they are doing. So in the end they'll compromise and alienate the people who really like them, and then they'll be gone, maybe showing up on Reeling in the Years in ten years time.

Sad, but you all know it's true. Armando Iannucci would be refereeing midget wrestling on Podge & Rodge if he had been born here.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Henno30 wrote: »
    I quite like a lot of what they try to do, but their execution isn't all that great. It's all a bit dependent on the exaggerated persona and there isn't an awful lot else going on.

They seem like sharp lads and they've taken some awful ignorant criticism, exemplified on that Liveline show which showed our very own Daily Mail readership in full reactionary flow. At the same time they've received some fairly hysterical acclaim that won't do them any good in the long run.

On balance, I would say that like Hardy Bucks (the internet series) they've shown great initiative and produced genuinely original affectionate parodies of places and people you will never see on screen otherwise, certainly not for positive reasons.

Sadly, there isn't much of a comedy audience in Ireland and what they do is very much for a niche audience who like offbeat stuff. Unlike the UK, the numbers just aren't present in Ireland to sustain an act like this to maturity and to the point where they are more confident and competent with what they are doing. So in the end they'll compromise and alienate the people who really like them, and then they'll be gone, maybe showing up on Reeling in the Years in ten years time.

Sad, but you all know it's true. Armando Iannucci would be refereeing midget wrestling on Podge & Rodge if he had been born here.

What utter nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

The Hardy Bucks I thought would be better. Seems be running out of steam.

The RB seem to have some sharp lyrics. But as you say it has a finite market.

this is the rubber bandits.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Henno30 wrote: »

You're well clued in my good man. You have made some very logical and valid points. The one thing you might be failing to recognise is the fact that these 2 guys, the guys behind the plastic bags, are clearly intelligent and aware of the many limitations of what they can do and the pitfalls of a quick viral success. I do believe the comedy act 'RubberBandits' will fade away eventually but the two individuals behind it will have a place in Irish literature, comedy, music and acting for years to come, esp. writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

Rubber bandits mmmmm,, yeah a wee bit funny, yeah contreversial, yeah on the edge.. Yeah on the Late Late mmmm no,,, Holy God i'd say RTE is kicking itself ever since... Nearly as bad as Dustin at the Eurovision.:confused:

You're well clued in my good man. You have made some very logical and valid points. The one thing you might be failing to recognise is the fact that these 2 guys, the guys behind the plastic bags, are clearly intelligent and aware of the many limitations of what they can do and the pitfalls of a quick viral success. I do believe the comedy act 'RubberBandits' will fade away eventually but the two individuals behind it will have a place in Irish literature, comedy, music and acting for years to come, esp. writing.

For the sake of life itself, i hope your in a different mind

FFS, A 6-year old could write some of their ****ing immature, un-intelligent songs. Dont be ridiculous please. I never even read up on them, but i'd be fairly certain they set it up as a piss take, not to "have a place in Irish literature, comedy, music and acting for years to come, esp. writing":eek::eek::eek::eek:

FFS, A 6-year old could write some of their ****ing immature, un-intelligent songs. Dont be ridiculous please. I never even read up on them, but i'd be fairly certain they set it up as a piss take, not to "have a place in Irish literature, comedy, music and acting for years to come, esp. writing":eek::eek::eek::eek:
    Why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Says it all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

A six year old could write their songs...you silly silly boy...you come across as the kind of guy that doesn't get a piece of art unless its 'sold' to you as intelligent art and would be petrified of endorsing something that can be enjoyed by the great unwashed for its base humour. However, the reason why the bandits have done so well is they've seamlessly mixed aforementioned baseness with some very intelligent comment and satire. That Damien is a technique used by Authors [Shakespeare, sword fights +philosophy/history or Oscar Wilde sexual innuendo +political satire] and filmmakers [too many examples to mention] The fact that you think a six year old [or indeed anyone ]could do what they do is probably why your own attempts at creativity have fallen on deaf ears. [I'm sorry but it's clear from the tone of your remarks about the bandits and the undercurrent of anger in said statement that the bandits doing well has touched a raw nerve in you and since you know neither of them personally I'll have to assume it's because there's a hint of jealousy going on.] Am I right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭SHREDDER

New comedy group from Ballymena called Sexy tits. They're untrue. They do it all, jokes, songs,, and dream pop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

Just wondering what the contributors on here who seemed so certain that the Rubberbandits would be a flash in the pan, are without talent, or that their humour/or lack of would not make sense outside of Ireland think about their recent success at the Edinburgh fringe festival. Just to bring people up to speed they sold out 15 nights on the trot and walked away with the prestigious Malcolm Hardee award for comedy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Dannyriver wrote: »
    Just wondering what the contributors on here who seemed so certain that the Rubberbandits would be a flash in the pan, are without talent, or that their humour/or lack of would not make sense outside of Ireland think about their recent success at the Edinburgh fringe festival. Just to bring people up to speed they sold out 15 nights on the trot and walked away with the prestigious Malcolm Hardee award for comedy.

They've also got a pilot coming up on Channel 4 in the near future.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

A number of off-topic posts deleted.

This thread has pottered along sporadically for the last couple of years, and it's still perfectly fit for purpose.

Advertisement