Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP Darren Sutherland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Absolutely shocked at the news.

Its a shame and a waste of a life, what ever was troubling him its a pity he could not talk to anyone about it.

From all appearances he came across as a very happy guy according to the media.

RIP and condolences to his family at this difficult time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭barakus

RIP Darren.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,202 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I don't know about anyone else, but I still haven't taken this in yet.
    It is so strangely surreal. I guess because Darren was so engaging and warm and magnetic, a real talker and passionate kinda' guy. I think in a few days, it will sink in and the real affect wil be felt for so many

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

RIP dude

You put our boxing back on the map last summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Couldn't believe it when i heard.

Thanks for the memories Darren

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

What a shock. R.I.P. Darren. If ever an Irish Fighter had "The Look, the It Factor" it was Daz. I felt sure nothing or nobody could stand in his way, and prevent him from reaching the top.

Condolences also to his family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Its 24 hours since I first heard and I am still coming to terms with this. I haven't been effected by a death like this before. I never met the guy. There was something so familiar about him though. Something I could relate too. His good humour, his class, his determination. I don't know. Can't find the right words right now. This is not how it was supposed to end for him.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 abregy

RIP Darren

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭strongback

I don't know what it is about Darren's death but it is really cutting me up. Maybe it was getting to know him through TV or standing beside him in the corridor at UCD before his pro fight but really I think it is the manner of his death. The silent killer crept up on him and it is just so sad. I feel for all the familys who have suffered a loss in this manner. The turmoil and pain must have been unbearable because Darren was one tough minded determined guy.

Darren's death just seems very real, visceral, and it has hit home with me.

A great son of Ireland I hope you have found peace. RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Mr.Messy

The death of Darren is a tragic loss. A young man who fought for every inch of success throughout his short life. Its just goes to show the fragile nature of life. The line we walk is fine and no one is exempt no matter what level of society. Darren was an inspiration and represented this country with great valour and dignity. We think hero's are invincible and impervious but they are not. In darrens darkest hour he decided enough was enough. He leaves us with an untold legacy and a message that things. In life its the simple things that keep us in check. Darrens life became too complicated. I leave you with this short poem in honour of Darren:
    -Though your life has ended short and young
    you have given hope to us with none,
    -To dream and dare as you have done
    fills us with inspiration second to none,
    -your legacy remains undone
    which is a sadness that will be hard to overcome,
    -You fought in life for every inch
    and for that we are honoured from within,
    -You fought a battle from within
    for which we are sad you couldn't win,
    -to think we couldn't help you
    it feels like almost a sin,
    -may you enjoy eternal happiness in life beyond this place
    where peace will find you and hold you tight in all its grace,
    -thank you for the memories and for what you have achieved
    may your personal inquest be satisfied and your youthful mind be at peace,
    -A fighter, a legend, a character, and son of Ireland
    we wish you all the best and may you rest in peace.

God Bless,
    Regards, Mr. Messy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Crotchety

Thank You Mr.Sutherland...

Thank you for the boxing Darren
    You really made me smile
    Thank you for being there
    You made my life worthwile
    Thank you for being Irish
    and all those upper-cuts
    Thank you for going to Beijing
    and never giving up!

Amen.
    RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭hipster2009

RIP HOPE YOU FIND PEACE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

Still cant believe it
    RIP
    :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭BDF

RIP Darren, this life became too much for you to handle for whatever reason but you will always have a place in the hearts of every Irish person who followed your boxing career and were inspired by your talent, heart and amazing personality. Though your end was tragic I will always remember you as our Olympic hero holding your medal proudly with a smile on your face and a twinkle in your eye, Peace Champ xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Onearmedbandit

Rest in Peace. A great sportsman, a champ and a great person.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

I remember watching Darren at the stadium a few years back. It was the first time I saw him fight, he was one of the most impressive armatures Ive seen in the flesh. The guy looked so superior to the competition and blew them away.

Condolences to his family and friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Does anyone who knows something about boxing answer me this.
    Why did he have to go to London and into Frank Maloney's stable?
    Why not stay in Ireland like Bernard Dunne for example?
    Still could have gone across the water for fights etc.
    RIP Darren.

Bernard went to America for years. Its only th last few years he's back here. I think they leave to get their names out to a foreign audience

• Registered Users Posts: 21 SpikeMilligan

RIP Darren

There's an article in the Independent which says that Darren "poured his heart out" to his trainer Brian Lawrence 10 days ago, telling him that he felt his "life was over" and that he wanted to pack in boxing saying he felt "abandoned".He was not training properly and was losing his enthusiasm in the gym.
    The day Darren died he was due to see a sports psychologist! Not a real therapist but a sports pyschologist! Does that strike anyone else as odd? I understand that sportsmen and women have low points in their careers and sometimes see sports pyschologists but it should have been clear to those around Darren at the time that this was more serious. I am really angry after reading that article, it seemed like Darren was crying out for help but no one was listening.
    I don't want to point any fingers because I know that is futile in these circumstances but I think a lesson needs to be learned here. When a man with a history of depression, who is isolated from his friends and family, in a pressure enviroment day in day out, comes to you and tells you that he "feels his life is over", you do not gloss over it and hope things get better. Who knows how things would have worked out if Darren was put straight on a plane home after that conversation.
    This news makes the story all the more tragic knowing that Darren did indeed reach out for help.
    If this is innapropriate or whatever feel free to delete mods but I had to get it off my chest.

• Advertisement

It's all just angles and conversation. I have no problem with it.
    There usually is always some tell tale signs and Darren seemed
    to be exhibiting them. I feels so sorry for the chap that he got
    so low that he felt that this was his release. Nothing is so bad
    as to warrant ending your life, but until someone really is in that
    position, only then can they feel how Darren must have felt.

All the chat and advice in the world can still see some people
    choose suicide.

walshb wrote: »
    It's all just angles and conversation. I have no problem with it.
    There usually is always some tell tale signs and Darren seemed
    to be exhibiting them. I feels so sorry for the chap that he got
    so low that he felt that this was his release. Nothing is so bad
    as to warrant ending your life, but until someone really is in that
    position, only then can they feel how Darren must have felt.

All the chat and advice in the world can still see some people
    choose suicide.

What get's to me is that all I've been reading and hearing is how Darren was always so happy and that there was no outward signs of anything being amiss with him but clearly there was.
    You're right though, even if Darren had got help he still may have chosen to end his life but I think that the depression coupled with how isolated he was being away from family and friends might have pushed him over the edge.
    This is such a sad story, the more details I hear, the more tragic it becomes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Every paper I saw this morning has Darren on the front page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Burgerman55

whats ur point?

whats ur point?

I thought that would have been pretty obvious:confused:

BDF wrote: »
    What get's to me is that all I've been reading and hearing is how Darren was always so happy and that there was no outward signs of anything being amiss with him but clearly there was.
    You're right though, even if Darren had got help he still may have chosen to end his life but I think that the depression coupled with how isolated he was being away from family and friends might have pushed him over the edge.
    This is such a sad story, the more details I hear, the more tragic it becomes.

Also reported is that there was no note left by Darren. That is not unusual, but I would say MOST suicide victims would leave some sort of note.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

whats ur point?

Fairly hostile question.

Anyway this is quite obviously at this stage a mainstream story rather than just a sports story or even a mainstream sports story. I saw a story this morning as far afield as the US EPSN website about Darren so it isn’t a localised story either. I wasn’t surprised about either as he was an Olympic medallist it is just I didn’t consider the potential reach of the story when processing his death. Just a testament to Darren’s sporting accomplishments and the tragedy of his death I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

BDF wrote: »

The majority of people who suffer with depression will never show outward signs - also we the public can be guilty of assuming that a sportsman/woman are completely happy and content because they are doing what we can only dream of

john47832 wrote: »
    The majority of people who suffer with depression will never show outward signs - also we the public can be guilty of assuming that a sportsman/woman are completely happy and content because they are doing what we can only dream of

I get what you're saying John but what I meant to say is that this seemed to come totally out of the blue, or so most of us thought, everyone was asking, "Why couldn't Darren just talk to someone". It turns out that he did confide in his trainer but for whatever reason nothing was done, or not enough was done. Darren was saying and doing things in the last week or so of his life that would point to depression, I think at this point training schedules and upcoming fights should have been put on hold until he got the help he needed.

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    Also reported is that there was no note left by Darren. That is not unusual, but I would say MOST suicide victims would leave some sort of note.

It was probably a spur of the moment decision which would explain there being no note.
    Just read that Maloney is said to be doing ok and is very eager to return to work, it seems the heart attack he suffered happened at the Fury V McDermott fight.

Advertisement