Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas B1 Speculation

Options
  • 09-09-2009 10:26pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭

OK, I know I'm on the wrong colour line here :mad:;

But I've heard strong rumours that the Green Line extension to Cherrywood won't be completed (though it is about 80% built).

Seemingly the developer contributions collected by Dun Laoghaire Co Co have been spent on other things and with the property crash there is no new money coming in.

Anyone else got anything on this?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

I've heard strong rumours that the Green Line extension to Cherrywood won't be completed (though it is about 80% built).

Seemingly the developer contributions collected by Dun Laoghaire Co Co have been spent on other things and with the property crash there is no new money coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I've heard strong rumours that the Green Line extension to Cherrywood won't be completed (though it is about 80% built).

Wild Bill (Hickock ?) as in Cowboy ?

Well, given that Sandyford only needs a wee bit of Tumbleweed or Sagebrush a` blowin down the empty streets those rumours will start to grow legs within the next 72 hours to eventually see the place become a film lot for Mad-Max 4.....The revenge of Zoe !!!

Where has the money gone ?
    Did they get receipts ?

Are there any retired Judges out there interested in a bit of an oul Tribunal ?

Yes ? No ?...If in doubt vote Maybe !!!

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

OK, I know I'm on the wrong colour line here

Gosh Wild Bill,we Red Liners have our own extension to Worlds End currently under construction too you know !!

Have you any "Rumours" as to whether Mr Mansfields region may not see the Iron Horse either ??????

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭crocro

Wild Bill wrote: »

Come off it.

Sacyr-Bowen-Somague has a signed contract with the state to carry out this work for €85m. The state does not default on its contracts. We are not Zimbabwe (yet)

Nope. This is specific to the Sandyford - Cherrywood line. And the "rumours" come from people who would be in a position to know. :cool:

• Advertisement

Does that contract take the line up to electrification and completion? :confused:

(By the way; this is a serious question; I'd be the last person wishing to see the line stopped as I live next to one of the new halts).

I am relieved that ye are so assuring that these rumours have no possible basis. Many thanks - and Smart; empty the streets of Sandyford are not. You must be thinking of that old folks mausoleum on the coast, aka Dun Laoghaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

it is as you say 80% built - its inconceivable that they wouldn't finish it.

its inconceivable that they wouldn't finish it.

Hmmmm....ANYTHING is conceivable in this State right now.....Supreme Court judgements being circumvented by lower courts ..? Politicians toying with the anger of their electorate....? New Airport terminals with no travellers to utilize it....?

I`m afraid it VERY conceivable to me.. :(

Many thanks - and Smart; empty the streets of Sandyford are not. You must be thinking of that old folks mausoleum on the coast, aka Dun Laoghaire.

Main stree t,Kingstown is indeed a fairly vacant space,some might say due to the magnificent ignorance of their own bouough council.

However my perceptions of passing through the "New" Sandyford at various times of the day show it to be a kinds scary place with unfinished towers and row`s of unoccupied resedential units .....

Sandyford Village displays at least a semblance of life,as we have come to expect it rather than as DLRCC rather fancifully expected it to be....and that`s before we move on to Cherrywood and Mr Keegan`s battles to "secure" DLRCC`s levy cash.......;) ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

AlekSmart wrote: »
    New Airport terminals with no travellers to utilize it....?
    Where exactly? I'd love a good explanation of this one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

I understand that DLRCC are one of the creditors for Mr Carroll viz-a-viz development levies, perhaps that is the source of the rumour?

My perceptions of passing through the "New" Sandyford at various times of the day show it to be a kinds scary place with unfinished towers and row`s of unoccupied resedential units .....

Just shows how daft perceptions can be! There are two unfinished towers in the Industrial Estate that I can see and as for the "rows of unoccupied residential units" they must be down there beside them; there sure aren't any such up here.

You need to get out of that car, check out the geography. Too much time in that mausoleum. :mad:

Dunno the basis of the Luas rumours - but I'm, like, sooo relieved that they have been rubbished by the wise heads here. :D

Inconceivable? Unless they have no cash.

(I think I'm still in the wrong place; are there rows of empty apartments in the City Centre? )

Since the start of the Cherrywood extension there have been monthly progress up dates on the RPA website; 23 so far. But that last one was in early July. Why?

Also while some work continues along the Ballyogan Rd track; all work on the erection of the supports for the overhead wires and on the electricity sub-station appears to have stopped.

I'm sure this doesn't mean anything - the very low level of activity this week and the disappearance of heavy machinery may be put down to the good weather I guess. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,313 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Posts moved from Luas C1 and Luas Development threads.

I don't have the exact details, but I understand there are two separate funds.

Section 48 - general council development
    Section 49 - specific funds for Luas B1 and a limited number of other projects

I suspect your source has it wrong.

Thanks Victor;

It being a wonderful sunny day (suns not up yet: but there is a promising glow in the East). I'll pop out and take some pics of the works ongoing (or not!) :cool:

just shows how daft perceptions can be! There are two unfinished towers in the Industrial Estate that I can see and as for the "rows of unoccupied residential units" they must be down there beside them; there sure aren't any such up here.

Yep WildBill,Daft is indeed a useful tool in property terms :)

Perhaps our "perceptions" of the Sandyford development area are from different vantage points.

Mine are indeed as an individual transiting the old Sandyford Industrial Estate (SIE) and the developments which were rapidly put in train here.

The sheer scale of this transformation caught many people unawares,not least DLRCC`s engineering department who had AFAIK warned against such unrestrained expansion in the absence of Sewage/Drainage and Water services.

This eventually led to some emergency action such as a moratorium on resedential planning decisions which may well be the current situation ?

The current situation in the SIE sector certainly does not LOOK good with semi-delerict sites now standing in silent expectation of NAMA and the aforementioned rows of empty apartment and commercial units awaiting tenants who have long departed our shores....the answer.....jeez....don`t be askin me !!! :(

One might be to return the SIE to it`s original intended use...INDUSTRIAL !...try to stimulate some small scale manufacturing or actual service provision....?

The preferred Irish option of "Wait n See" will only result in the deterioration of those half-built towers until they eventually collapse from concrete-rot !

But I suppose as Bluetonic asks ....
    Where exactly? I'd love a good explanation of this one.

My understanding of the Dublin Airport situation is one of us (as in Ireland) having missed the boat (!) in Avation terms.
    The current DAA Terminal developments may now prove to be excessive for the TRUE numbers of passengers Post-Depression.

World Aviation is certainly in an unstable state and even born optimists like Micheal O`Leary are having to retreat a bit from the Boom,Boom and even more Boom that much of their empire building was built upon.

I,for sure,really do hope that Dublin Airports new facilities are fully utilized in order to payback their cost to the country but I will not be at all surprised if the "Phased Opening" results in less than 60% of the facilities being actually utilized in the medium/long term.

Not what we wanted to see but I suppose it beats Dubai !!!

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/middle-east/extravagant-dubai-island-project-sinks-under-weight-of-the-credit-crunch-1884856.html

:)

Yep WildBill, Daft is indeed a useful tool in property terms :)

Perhaps our "perceptions" of the Sandyford development area are from different vantage points.

Mine are indeed as an individual transiting the old Sandyford Industrial Estate (SIE) and the developments which were rapidly put in train here.

The sheer scale of this transformation caught many people unawares,not least DLRCC`s engineering department who had AFAIK warned against such unrestrained expansion in the absence of Sewage/Drainage and Water services.

This eventually led to some emergency action such as a moratorium on resedential planning decisions which may well be the current situation ?

The preferred Irish option of "Wait n See" will only result in the deterioration of those half-built towers until they eventually collapse from concrete-rot !

My point is that on the scale of the SIE (which itself is only a part of the "new" Sandyford) there is a single corner of the estate, a portion of one block between the new Dunnes Shopping Centre and the Luas line that contains two uncompleted buildings and some unoccupied apartments. In other parts; such as Central Park and Belarmine they are still both building and selling apartments. As someone who lives here, the post-apocalyptic landscape you portray is almost as far from the reality as one can get.

There is indeed a major water scheme now half-way through construction to increase water pressure in the area, though I'm not sure if it will affect the SIE. (I thought it was to facilitate the new developments in Ballyogan, Stepaside and beyond - but I'm not sure).

The "transformation" has been continuous since the late 1980s when the non-industrial Woodies retail park and the AIB buildings were completed. Given the glacial pace of the reactions of Local Authorities I suppose I'm not surprised the sheer scale of this transformation caught them unawares. These are the people who failed to see the Millenium creeping up on them! :D

If the two "towers" (about 8 story stubs afaiks) did rot, I doubt most of the estate would even notice. They certainly didn't when the previous complex on the site, built in the 1980s, was flattened in 2006. Maybe it should have been preserved as part of our "priceless industrial heritage"? :pac:

Hmmm...well...I may have been a bit in error on the rumours front. Went out yesterday and there is indeed activity on the line, between Carrickmines and Cherrywood, the hidden section. In fact there were hundreds of men working down this tunnel near Tully Church...

IMG_0889-2.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Coupla weeds growing there Bill, maybe the Roundup budget has been slashed :cool:

• Advertisement

Lol Sponge! - actually they used it all up here, not a weed in sight:

IMG_0851-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Since the start of the Cherrywood extension there have been monthly progress up dates on the RPA website; 23 so far. But that last one was in early July. Why?

Also while some work continues along the Ballyogan Rd track; all work on the erection of the supports for the overhead wires and on the electricity sub-station appears to have stopped.

I'm sure this doesn't mean anything - the very low level of activity this week and the disappearance of heavy machinery may be put down to the good weather I guess. :cool:

The previous update for Docklands was also in July - update 24 has only been issued recently. I'd imagine the same will apply for Cherrywood.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭markpb

Hmmm...well...I may have been a bit in error on the rumours front. Went out yesterday and there is indeed activity on the line, between Carrickmines and Cherrywood, the hidden section. In fact there were hundreds of men working down this tunnel near Tully Church...

Builders holidays perhaps?

Well, I think I can put your minds at rest:

IMG_0886-1.jpg

On my investigations Saturday I came across many builders (who were most cooperative to my snapping - thanks!) - and a manager assured me all was on track ('scuse pun). :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,313 ✭✭✭✭Victor

On my investigations Saturday I came across many builders (who were most cooperative to my snapping - thanks!)
    Taking some pictures when Connolly & Busáras were closed over the summer, one wit wanted to charge €5 per pic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Thanks for posting the pics Wild Bill - so you do leave the safety of the Sandyford enclave occasionally! Pity the village idiots have already started to adorn the viaduct piers.

Pity the village idiots have already started to adorn the viaduct piers.

Hey! They are Cherrywood village idiots - and there isn't even a Cherrywood village ;)

Ah! The beauty of Sandyford! This is taken from the road overbridge of the M50 junction 15 at Carrickmines looking at the Luas overbridge at Ballyogan and beyond the stand at Leopardstown Racecourse and on to the glistening towers of Central Park Leopardstown on the edge of the Industrial Estate.

That is one nice penthouse! :D

IMG_0841-2.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Thats Namaland Bill, Namaland . Sure the cranes are obvious .

Has Liam Carroll actually coughed up his share of the wedge for the Luas or will we poor Westerners inevitably have to dip our hand in our pockets to make up the shortfall ??

• Advertisement

Meanwhile, down in the tunnel there is some light at the end.....

IMG_0897-2.jpg

Advertisement