Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Sun at the Granary Theatre ~monthly weirdo music night in Cork ~

Options
  • 08-09-2009 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

kitten-goblin.jpg

Anyone curious about Black Sun oughta take a look at this new innerview by Aoife B on her Sweet Oblivion blog. Click on the fangs y'all.

Incoming:
    Sat 26th Sept: Jean Louis Costes [FR], KFDS [IE], Over [IE]
    Sat 7th Nov: Oblivia and Ju Suk Reet Meate (Smegma) [USA], Jozef Van Wissem [NL] and Laura Sheeran [IE]
    Sat 5th Dec: Blood Stereo [UK], Hereharehere [UK], Gryn Brvs [UK] (more guests to be announced)

see www.myspace.com/solnigerire for more details

Vx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Nice interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Lazybird is badly missed in Dublin so it's great to see more out-there stuff happening... well, out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Wolflinge

Thank you drudes, any traveling folk are very welcome to come too.
    Aircoach Dublin to Cork is €22. Bus Eireann site does my head in so I can't say I know how much it'd cost to come down on that service. This is a show Costes has been specifically working on for Black Sun and is his only Irish date so it'd be well worth the trek.

6540_251985305272_785170272_7987989_5860768_n.jpg

Jean-Louis Costes is a controversial, ecstatic and extreme performer. Since 1986 he has worked primarily with music, releasing over 40 albums on cd, and others on cassette. He has also made several full-length and short films (and appeared in Irreversible and Baise-Moi). All of this work comes together in his performances, such as Little Birds **** (2007) a two person drama about a repressed couple who ‘look for more’ in S/M, or in The Holy Virgin Cult (2008). The shows are highly physical and also highly-charged, this is an interaction that stamps all over social networks and wants to break things down. His work is a physical meditation that cannot live with the everyday. He loves ****, sex, the body as tool, the body as object, the body as something more and less than a person. He also has fun with fears of racism, with an album called Nik ta Race (**** your Race). There can be no borders for Costes, no demarcation lines, as we all come together, immersed through fluid, ranting and black (or brown) humour. If this all sounds too serious, it’s not – Costes is always humorous, nothing is sacred – and that means all can be made funny. The word ‘uncompromising’ if often used and rarely lived-up to, but the author of the novel Viva la Merda! (Long Live ****!) is just that. Highly theatrical, but shunned by official theatre, we have sneaked him into one - he is fierce and joyous as he pulls down social taboos, and he will prise open your ears, eyes and head with this first ever performance in Ireland.

l_042b5d7d301943479473be49f349f615.jpg

KFDS are collaborative artists Not Abel and performance artist Alex Conway. They deal in brooding, darkly vibrant atmospheres, where treated vocals, tapes and bass swarm around rogue trance beats and the remnants of disco pulses. Combining music and performance, they build on prepared materials and texts through improvisation. Combining from these sounds is a physical performance that is intimately touching, maybe too intimate.

http://www.myspace.com/kunstfds

l_753669c83fe347a2be707b49648503a5.jpg

OVER -based around the duo of JG and AD with a revolving collaborators and assistants, OVER is an entity dedicated to encapsulating dread through sound.Inspired by horror films,creaking doors, haunted houses and the moment where TV static takes on a sinister life of its' own. Bring a blindfold.On this occasion,OVER will be augmented by VL, BC and SG.
    http://www.myspace.com/oovveerr

A selection of Costes' short films will be screened during the night. Vegan cakes and records/tapes/cds from distro's Bold Lump (Dublin) and Rimbaud Records (Cork) will be available for purchase throughout the night.

... weird ...
    People on boards.ie aren't allowed to talk about s h i t ?
    www.myspace.com/solnigerire

dotdotdot.gif

DotDotDot will be selling stuff at Black Sun alongside Bold Lump and Rimbaud Records.

Releases available:
    New 7"s by Merzbow (a double 7"), Prurient, Charles Hayward, Circle, Jackie O Mother****er, Guapo.
    CDs by Safe with Dennis Cooper, KK Null, Safe, PKD.

For more info see: http://www.dotdotdotmusic.com/releases.html

http://www.myspace.com/dotdotdotmusiclabel

m_ecfd058bbd93499f9ce1d12567158405.jpg

n101778218262_3151.jpg

Myself and Paul are off to check out the No Fun fest this Thursday in Sweden. I gots my eye on some people there I want to invite to Black Sun in the new year. If anyone's innerested, we're doing a stopover at Resonance fm tomorrow where Paul's doing a noise show and I'm lurking in the background.

resonancefm_w200.jpg
    9pm Wednesday 16th September
    http://resonancefm.com/

Vx

• Advertisement

+ = + = + = + = + = + = + = + = + = + = + = +

m_cc95aeaefd6849669ca15d3cf79245a0.jpg

After Party in the Quad!!
    Weirdo DJ sets/visuals from Brian Conniffe and Black Sun DJs midnight-late

sounds like:

irrappext.jpg

rec7.jpg

duncan-seance.jpg

radio-show-1.jpgcostes.jpg

Jean Louis Costes will be doing an in-studio interview on Cork Campus Radio's ArtBeat this coming Friday between 4.30 and 5.30pm. Tune in on 98.3fm. Listen online here:
    http://www.ucc.ie/ccr/

Jamie Grimes (Drainland, Over) will be playing some wreckchords at the after party too. Buses to Cork aren't too expensive. PM me for details about setting tickets aside for traveling volk.

Vicky x

Interview with Costes on ArtBeat on Cork Campus Radio 98.3fm.
    Sometime between 4.30 - 5.30pm today.

Listen online at http://www.ucc.ie/ccr/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

really enjoyed this the other night. certainly nothing like i've ever seen before, but excellent!

and the cakes were great too :p

November 7th
    Black Sun at the Granary Theatre
    www.myspace.com/solnigerire

Debut Irish performance by Oblivia + Ju Suk Reet Meate (Smegma)
    hand.gif**This is the only Irish date**
    Jozef Van Wissem
    Laura Sheeran

l_4f3f2e9e6ac43273eb089ee2a451bb5f.jpg
    Oblivia and Ju Suk Reet Meate!!!

l_2f5c0342a890cfe8fa71dedd5cfec21c.jpg
    Jozef Van Wissem

l_0a4d419c612b7022b8f6c8dd179f2e68.jpg
    Laura Sheeran ((Fovea Hex))

• Advertisement

Facebook event page for Black Sun Nov 7th
    http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=143122838201

===========================================

+ SMEGMA + ((only Irish performance))
    http://www.myspace.com/smegmatheoriginal
    Blasting out of Los Angeles in the early 1970s, Smegma took the logic of Captain Beefheart, the Velvets and free jazz to new places: an improvising troupe that thinks it’s a rock band, a weird folk band that plays free jazz, a garage band that plays experimental noise music, they have influenced generations of the best and strangest artists. Freaks rather than hippies, they recorded with ‘outsider’ artist ‘Wild Man’ Fischer, they found like minds in Portland’s punk and post-punk worlds, and collaborated in the late 1980s with the Butthole Surfers. They have inspired American and European industrial artists, they have played with free jazz musicians and the even freer. Their monstrous sound is driven by combining the energy of rock with the power of noise, and all this through an array of homemade instruments that make their music unique. Ever-strange, they have continued to draw the most creative of musicians to them, making records with Japanese noise legend Merzbow and the pin-ups of the American noise scene of today, Wolf Eyes. Members of Smegma have worked with Earth, Chris Corsano, John Fahey. If this seems like a roster of the great, then this is due to Smegma’s position at the top of the heap of free and noise music-making. Noise music finally caught up with them. Now it’s your turn.

+ JOZEF VAN WISSEM +
    http://www.myspace.com/vanwissem
    Composer-lute player Jozef Van Wissem is renowned for his unusual approach of the Renaissance and Baroque lute, probably the most unlikely instruments in the world of contemporary music. He cuts and pastes classical pieces, reverses melodies, adds electronics and processed field recordings The unusual wedlock of composition and improvisation creates an unheard amalgam of contemporary folk and early music Van Wissem has accomplished the strange feat of bridging the idiom of seventeenth century lute literature and twenty-first century contemporary music Although he uses subtle electronic sound manipulation, he has largely stayed faithful to the particular timbre, resonance and playing technique of the lute. He deconstructed existing compositions, for instance by playing them backwards. He also composed his own pieces for lute, using palindromes and mirrored structures. His music therefore does not have a traditional linear progression, nor leads to a climax, it rather stays on the same level of intensity. His music is not so much demands concentrated listening, as it will bring the listener in a state of concentrated listening. He runs the Incunabulum label, and performs extensively around the world. He also works with M.B. / Maurizio Bianchi, James Blackshaw, Tetuzi Akiyama and Gary Lucas. With Blackshaw he formed the duo “ Brethren of the Free Spirit’ which has two releases on Important records.

+ LAURA SHEERAN +
    http://www.myspace.com/laurasheeranmusic
    Originally from Galway, Laura Sheeran is an emerging young talent who's music continuously refuses to be placed within the boundaries of any one genre. Her recordings span endless musical fields, crossing the acoustic with the electronic, a'cappella with synth trash and lush string arrangements with music made with hardware tools! Her solo live performances frequently fuse elements of theatre, musical improvisation, pedals and laptop, along with a sea of other instruments and leave audiences inspired, awakened and always wanting more!

Laura has already explored the musical worlds of theatre, film and the avant-garde. As a singer with 'Fovea Hex', she has appeared throughout the "neither speak nor remain silent" ep collection and has performed with FH all over europe. She has also written music for three plays and performed her compositions live for each show while touring.

Black Sun at the Granary Theatre is an independent 'weirdo' music night that takes place on an almost monthly basis. It is curated by Vicky Langan (Wölflinge, Female Orphan Asylum, United Bible Studies) and co-run with 'Noise/Music A History' author Paul Hegarty (Safe, Working With Children, Dot Dot Dot Music record label). It aims to celebrate the outer limits of music and performance both internationally and locally. Present on the night are stalls from independent distributors Bold Lump (avant Dublin-based distro),Rimbaud Records (DIY Cork-based label and distro), and experimental record label Dot Dot Dot. There will also be vegan cakes from the beautiful Paula Larkin.

Black Sun receives no funding and relies solely on you the adventurous listener for support!
    Here are some photos from the previous Black Sun at the Granary Theatre from controversial and ecstatic French performer Jean Louis Costes.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/wolflinge/sets/72157622553665790/
    (*warning* Images are graphic and contain nudity. Not suitable for work)

3996371403_0d8040f3ae.jpg

some smegma wreckchord reviews from boomkat ...

Pigs For Lepers
    cover.jpg
    Smegma are one of those bands that nobody heard, but everyone who heard them seemed to start a band... I have to be honest with you, maybe it was the name or something but until recently I'd never heard the band (other than the blistering collaboration with Wolf Eyes), and on listening to this I'm really wondering why. Amazing! Influential! Weird! Freaked-out! Visceral! I may as well not bother listing any more words like this as truly my jaw was on the table, drool escaping from the lip-line as I listened to 'Pigs for Lepers', an album which although originally came out in 1982, was started in the early 1960s. Shocking... they were there before anyone, and even more worryingly this album still sounds totally futuristic, totally groundbreaking. Sure they've had their sound re-appropriated by a blossoming noise scene (Wolf Eyes, Hair Police, Prurient, The Skaters et al) and the New Weird America crew are desperately trying to out-weird the Portland originators (and not succeeding by the sounds of it) but Smegma sounds only like Smegma. Distorted tape loops, dirty percussion, looped vocals and screams, plucked strings and flute all fired through the grimiest sounding processes you can imagine - this album is like being kicked head-first into a parallel dimension, a dimension that lost the plot so long ago it can barely remember what the plot is. How these guys came into being is totally beyond me, but the fact that CD evidence exists is a modern marvel... do records come more essential than this? It's not just an essential purchase, this is modern music history... BUY.
    http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=33500

Nattering Naybobs of Negativity
    Smegma.jpg
    Holy headf*ck Batman... it's another Smegma re-issue and yet again I am dumbfounded by the sheer creative force on offer here. I'm not sure whether this is free-jazz, improv, noise-core, tape music or all of the above, what I am sure of is that it's absolutely bonkers and recorded evidence of one of the most singular and important acts in experimental music history. Okay so they might not be as universally acclaimed as say, Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band (possibly one of the closest comparisons...) but that's just because hardly anyone has actually heard them, it's just that everyone who has heard them ended up making records. That's the power this kind of music has on people, that's the sheer force of Smegma - this particular album for instance bears a striking resemblance to No Neck Blues Band, Sunburned Hand of the Man, Vibracathedral Orchestra and all of those weird, wonderful bands. Of course, Smegma were bashing out preternatural weirdness way before these kiddles were even apples in their parents' eyes, and the fact that this record (originally issued in 1987) still sounds fresh, still sounds totally contemporary is a testament to the band's shocking skill. I must say I'm still reeling from hearing this stuff, to one day be totally unaware of the band and the next day feel like I've been his with a concrete block of inspiring noise - it's something that's difficult to explain and even more difficult to get over. Let me just say that you need to buy this record and probably anything else by the band that you can get your hands on, killer doesn't even begin to explain it. You want something unusual? Well you'd better buy this and pretty #### quickly - the cd is limited to a measly 1000 copies for the world. So, so good.
    http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=33501

33 1/3
    imprec33.jpg
    The fourth crucial Important release this week, and blow me down it's by Portland's finest and one of the most influential experimental acts ever to spew out of the 20th century - Smegma. Their latest album interestingly is touted as being a tribute to their 20th century influence - free jazz and the world of the avant garde, but they have neatly brought this into the 21st century by proving to all the young noise makers that they still have what it takes to produce something shocking, demonic and visceral. All the core members are here too and the band are on blistering form blending their signature free jazz noodling with crushing tape jams and synthetic noise to create something that sounds like you've fallen off a cliff and woken up on another planet, dazed and slightly drugged. It's almost frightening how forward thinking this band are and how pivotal their work has been to the evolution of the noise scene - I mean Wolf Eyes worship them, what more evidence do you need of their ultimate power? Whether you just hear it as folk clumping and clanging about, or whether you hear this as the logical progression of outré sound from Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band in all its surreal avant-beauty it doesn't matter, you should listen to '33 1/3' and listen up good, because here's a band that really know the meaning of the word 'punk'. #### yeah, just invest.
    http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=34202

ju_suk.jpg
    Ju Suk Reet Meate at No Fun 2007

ju_suk_oblivia.jpg
    Oblivia + Ju Suk at PDX Pop Now! festival 2008

Here are some Smegma tracks for any curious ears out there...
    Enjoy! x

Difference (1979 - Glamour Girl 1941)
    Mutant Baby (Live 29/10/79 - Pigs For Lepers 2006 CD Reissue Bonus Track)
    ID-O-MATIC (1982 - Pigs For Lepers)
    Happy Baby Rhumba (1988 - Nattering Naybobs Of Negativity)
    Limp Dynamics (1988 - Nattering Naybobs Of Negativity)
    Hoedad (1993 - Ism)
    Jungle Nausea (1993 - Ism)
    Walkie-Talkie (1993 - Ism)
    I'm Pooped (1996 - The Mad Excitement, The Barbaric Pulsations, The Incomparable Rhythms of Smegma)

whitehead.jpg

+ LAURA SHEERAN +
    http://www.myspace.com/laurasheeranmusic

Laura Sheeran is a 22 year old solo artist based in Dublin.

Her musical path began at the age of 15 when asked by Clodagh Simonds (Mellow Candle, Current 93) to sing for a then embryonic project later to be known as Fovea Hex. She has continued to sing with Fovea Hex (also playing accordion and bowed saw) alongside Cora Venus Lunny, Kate Ellis and Michael Begg. Other contributors to this project include the likes of Roger Doyle, Brian Eno, Roger Eno, Robert Fripp, Percy Jones, Donal Lunny, Andrew Mckenzie, Matmos and Steven Wilson.
    Throughout the summer Laura has been putting the finishing touches to her debut double album, experimenting with instruments such as harp, flute, cello and the accordion. This on top of writing for strings, vocal experimentation and using appliances like old and new sewing machines, fans and broken pens (thanks to Cicely Irvine). Entitled 'lust of pig and the fresh blood' the album is due for release early in the new year.
    At Black Sun Laura will be previewing material from the album and also including some improvisational work. Her set up on this occasion will include laptop, 6 string ukulele, flute and bowed saw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgBVscDdkGY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBqu9S_6yCY&feature=related

lightplay3web.jpg

lute.jpg

+ JOZEF VAN WISSEM +
    http://www.myspace.com/vanwissem
    http://ubu.com/sound/van-wissem.html
    "Once some music dropped through my letter-box; let's summon their sounds into our world now, and deliver their names as Roses or Stations. The picture they imagined was both clear and cryptic: the certainties of the 17th century holding tight the ugly beauty that we now see scattered around us. I loved these CDs by Jozef van Wissem, A Rose by any other Name and Stations of the Cross. And then I received a new album, A Priori, and I immediately played it and heard its stark and repetitive intensity, its stately and glacial march. There is nothing quite like it that I have heard before - it is timeless, breathing deeply and exhaling showers of snow, endless circles, mirrors, spirals, the sea. When Jozef plays the lute, he pours out endless space. What can I say but let the rain come, close your eyes and watch the stars fall and rise and fall again." - David Tibet (Current 93)

Composer-lute player Jozef Van Wissem is renowned for his unusual take on the Renaissance and Baroque lute, probably the most unlikely instruments in the world of contemporary music. He cuts and pastes classical pieces, reverses melodies, adds electronics and processed field recordings This wedlock of composition and improvisation creates an absolutely original amalgam of contemporary folk and early music, where seventeenth century lute and twenty-first century contemporary music meld. Whilst using subtle electronic sound manipulation, he stays faithful to the timbre, resonance and playing technique of the lute. He has deconstructed existing compositions, by playing them backwards. He has also composed his own pieces for lute, using palindromes and mirrored structures. His music is not so much about linear progression, more about an unfolding intensity, which brings the listener in a state of concentrated listening. He runs the Incunabulum label, and performs extensively around the world. He also works with M.B. / Maurizio Bianchi, James Blackshaw, Tetuzi Akiyama and Gary Lucas. With Blackshaw he formed the duo “ Brethren of the Free Spirit’ which has two releases out on Important records.
    On other records, Van Wissem has re-contextualized the lute by treating its sounds with electronics, juxtaposing it with field recordings of large public transit facilities, using it to improvise with Tetuzi Akiyama, or enlisting Mauricio Bianchi to transform its resonance into grim noise. A Priori offers his unadulterated take on the instrument, performed without accompaniment or outboard effects. Its sonorities, articulated in unhurried cadences, may sound ancient, but the language of dissonant harmonies, tone clusters, and rare bluesy flourishes to which he applies them is rooted in the 20th century avant-garde, not the time of bards in tights. The way Van Wissem traces and retraces A Priori's seven palindromes, denying the listener any resolution or catharsis, is also pretty contemporary in its attitude of refusal; has there ever been a time besides now when more musicians refuted the expectations of audiences and authorities?

A Priori does not reward casual listening. Its slow cadences and well-proportioned tones feel contemplative, but the lack of pay-off makes the music potentially maddening; it actually stymies linear thought. If you want easily approachable Van Wissem, try his album he and James Blackshaw made as the Brethren of the Free Spirit. This record is best approached as obsessively as it was played. Spin it over and over and eventually the pieces really do lose beginning and end, seeming instead to hover in a timeless now.

By Bill Meyer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4KVFX5XhhI

l_87f6e5f4ba834cd39159314199dbdef6.jpg

l_c3c91af08ba2e31a5726616cd9d2d17d.jpg

Ju Suk Reet Meate:
    ..."like a one person tank filled with a million whacked-out sounds but driven by one maniac....I think after hearing [his solo lp] you can make more sense to the human racket of knucklehead sound of the Smegma camp. Maybe Ju Suk is the man of the crew? No way in that anarchy unit but his vision def. looms huge shadows over the group's output. The world would be a duller place if this Ju Suk dude never decided to call off his public service gig for a year and tend to his goats in his pink house and concentrate rough and long on laying down a soundtrack to his amazing wacky scattered Barnum and Bailey via bottom of the sea sound world....an inspired and inspiring listen. They should launch a thousand copies into the Earth's atmosphere just to see what the outcome would be. A generation of horrible children with scratchy vinyl skin? Eyeballs for teeth? Molten lava for Language? Carpet for Brains? Pigface Forever!!!

-John Olson/Ypsilanti reprinted from liner notes to Ju Suk Reet Meate "solo 78/79" CD reissue put out by the good folks at De Stijl

Oblivia:
    Portland based experimentalist Jackie Stewart (a.k.a Oblivia) started working with sound as a medium in 1979. After early experiments involving electric guitar and vocals, Jackie Stewart found her voice on the turntables when she discovered the link between her visual collages and her sound work. Usually found performing with avant/psych/folk pioneers Smegma, her recent solo project entitled "uncracked" reveals a playfully disturbed sound world where toys and turntables are manipulated to conjure sound as faded memory, familiar to all, yet just beyond the far side of recognition.

In 1979, Stewart started performing live improv pieces, inspired by the so-called "punk" music" scene, joining Gumby Antichrist with X.J.Elliot and Jerry A. (later known as Poison Idea), where she played guitar and performed experimental vocals. In 1983 she joined joined Smegma where she also played guitar, saxophone, cow bell, tape loops, Casio, electronics, Drums, Bass, turntables and vocals and has been known under such assumed names as, "rock and roll Jackie" and "Oblivia."

As a member of Smegma, Stewart has performed live with the Dead Kennedys, the Butthole Surfers, Perry Robinson, 1/2 Japanese, Merzbow, the Boredoms, Wolf Eyes, Tom Recchion, Steve Mackay, Aaron Dilloway and Joe McPhee/Chris Corsano with many performances resulting in recorded collaborations.

Smegma is a frequent headliner at international festivals recently appearing at K(RAA)K3 Fest (Hasselt, Belgium,2005), Subcurrent Festival (Glasgow, Scotland,2006) and No Fun Fest (New York, 2006 and 2007) as well as being feature at End Times Festival (Minneapolis, MN, 2006) and Three Million Tongues Festival (Chicago, 2006).

As a member of Smegma, Stewart has appeared on more than sixty recordings including Wolf Eyes/Smegma (De Stijl Records, 2003) Smegma with Steve Mackay - Thirty Years of Service (Radon, 2004) and Rumbings (Hanson Records, 2005). Recent years have seen the re-release of several early Smegma cassettes and Lps on CD including Pigs for Lepers (Pigface, 1982/Harbinger Sound, 2006), Live 1991-1993 (Pigface Mojo 1994/ Resipiscent, 2006), and Acnode One (Poo-Bah Records 2007).

Working solo, Stewart recently performed as Helen Blazes 1904 at the Color Out of Space Festival in Brighton, UK (November 2006). She also appeared at the 7th annual High Zero Festival in Baltimore, performing alongside Jenny Graff (US) and Fuyuki Yamakawa (Japan) as well as performing solo. Other live collaborators have included The Beast, Replicock, Alessandro Bosetti, Dave Smollen, Joseph Hammer and Caroliner among others.

Her current projects include compositions for Smegma, Replicock and Rodney Forest and collaborations with Nate Young of Wolf Eyes and John Weise.

Stewart was featured on the cover of modern music magazine The Wire in conjunction with a feature article on Smegma.

Anyone interested in composition ought to read up on musician Jozef Van Wissem who's playing at the Granary Theatre as part of Black Sun this November 7th.

2244639223_86c444f949.jpg

Jozef will also give a lecture on the lute as part of the night in the studio space of the theatre at 8.15pm.
    Tickets for the night are Eur10 and will be available from Plugd closer to the time. Limited capacity.

He has lectured at Wesleyan Universtity, Mills College and Cambridge University on ‘the liberation of the lute”. Van Wissem has received numerous commisions and grants, most recently from National Gallery, London Van Wissem performs around 80 lute concerts per year and has performed at prestigious festivals and venues like Expo Zaragoza 2008, Spain, Kr-aa-k Festival , Belgium, ZXZW Festival, Holland, Sonorités Festival, France, Serralves em festa Festival, Portugal, Seattle Improvised Music Festival, Suono Per Il Popolo Festival, Montreal, Sintra Music and Dance Festival, Portugal, Byzantine Fresco Museum, Texas, I.C.A, London, and Glasgow, Schindler House, Hollywood.

Jozef being interviewed:
    YouTube - In Conversation with Jozef Van Wissem

+ + + Watch this beautiful excerpt from a concert at Schindler House: + + +
    YouTube - Jozef van Wissem / sound. at the Schindler House pt. 1/4

Some press clippings:
    “In “The Mirror of Eternal Light,” the Dutch lutist Jozef van Wissem catches his own reflection in tender, minimalist picking and gold-spray overdubs.”- - Rolling Stone Magazine

"Hypnotic minimalist figures seem to breeze across musical boundaries with effortless fluency" -Pitchfork

"Jozef van Wissem has been slowly reinventing the lute for the last three decades. Among the slew of fast-picking, fancy-fretting guitar players so prevalent today, his lute’s voice is a quiet oasis, and Stations of the Cross a small masterpiece”.
    The Wire

"The way Van Wissem traces and retraces denying the listener any resolution or catharsis, is also pretty contemporary in its attitude of refusal; has there ever been a time besides now when more musicians refuted the expectations of audiences and authorities? The lack of pay-off makes the music potentially maddening; it actually stymies linear thought On an even more symbolic level, by constructing pieces that begin where they end and are therefore potentially endless, he subverts the march of time" – Dusted Magazine

mp3s are up now from Tenses (Oblivia and Ju Suk), Smegma, Jozef Van Wissem and Laura Sheeran!! Get ready for Black Sun #3 at the Granary Theatre -Sat Nov 7th x

Listen at www.myspace.com/solnigerire
    EarDiagram.jpg

FacebookLogo.jpg

l_c02dc1b96bdc420588569f998a42620d.jpg
    Browsing through Bold Lump distro...
    l_8a329bdf4a72402e8a48acb3a4dab1ba.jpg
    Nervous audience...
    l_ec3e0c33c1474a2e92ddfcb1593e4406.jpg
    Smoking area
    l_8a3c294ddc18418cbf747b92c3aeebb7.jpg
    Costes at September Black Sun

Pm me for details about cheap hostels in Cork.

Tickets on sale in Plugd as of this morning.

On Saturday November 7th, Black Sun welcomes Oblivia and Ju Suk Reet Meate (Smegma) [USA], Jozef Van Wissem [NL] and Laura Sheeran [IE]

Oblivia and Ju Suk Reet Meate from Smegma are the core of an improvising troupe that thinks it’s a rock band, a weird folk band that plays free jazz and a garage band that plays experimental noise music. They have influenced generations of the best and strangest artists. They have continued to draw the most creative of musicians to them, making records with Japanese noise legend Merzbow and the pin-ups of the American noise scene of today, Wolf Eyes. Members of Smegma have worked with Earth, Chris Corsano and John Fahey.

Composer-lute player Jozef Van Wissem is renowned for his unusual take on the Renaissance and Baroque lute, probably the most unlikely instruments in the world of contemporary music. He cuts and pastes classical pieces, reverses melodies, adds electronics and processed field recordings . He will also present a talk on ‘The Liberation of the Lute’. Completing the bill is Laura Sheeran of Fovea Hex. At Black Sun, Laura will be previewing material from her next album 'Lust of Pig and The Fresh Blood' and also including some improvisational work. Her set up on this occasion will include laptop, 6 string ukulele, flute and bowed saw.

Vegan cakes and records/tapes/cds from distros Bold Lump (Dublin) Dot Dot Dot and Rimbaud Records (Cork) will be available for purchase throughout the night. Tickets (€10) are on sale now in Plugd Records, Cork City. Capacity is limited so it is advised to purchase tickets in advance to avoid disappointment on the night.

On December 5th, Black Sun celebrates our last show of 2009 with very special sonic ghouls Blood Stereo [UK], Hereharehere [UK], Gryn Brvs [UK] (more guests to be announced). Black Sun are also delighted to announce a collaboration with The Cork Film centre for this event. Maximilian Le Cain and Black Sun will be working towards a programme of experimental film for the night. x

See www.myspace.com/solnigerire for more details.

girl-with-hair-ribbon.jpg

Hey all, just letting you know that Sweet Oblivion is back on air.
    The first show will be on RTE 2XM - http://www.rte.ie/digitalradio/twoxm/index.html - which is a digital radio station, this Wednesday at 8pm. It will be repeated on Sunday at 10am.
    Aoife mentioned that the first show will feature some Cork-related stuff - two tracks and some info on the next Black Sun event on 7 November and music by Toby Kaar.
    Do tune in!

• Advertisement

black_spread.jpg

Black Sun feature in this weeks copy of The Cork News.

n56179348900_3576.jpg

The upcoming Black Sun got a mention (and Jozef Van Wissem was played) on Nova (Lyric Fm) on Sunday. The show is available to listen to here:
    http://www.rte.ie/lyricfm/nova/

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

NEXT BLACK SUN: SATURDAY DECEMBER 5TH 2009

4104129872_f837ffed11.jpg

Thanks so much to all y'all who came out to support the last Black Sun. We were delighted to find ourselves a few tickets short of it being sold out!! The were loads of new faces too which was a real surprise. Was a pleasure to meet so many of ye. Special thanks to Eoin from Bold Lump who carted his records across the country to be part of the night. Big shout out to Eamonn Rimbaud Records who will be joining us again on the 5th of December. A huge huge thank you to Andy Ferreira who stepped in at short notice and provided us with stunning shots of the night. I got a whole new cd of shots from the night last week and I'm almost finished uploading them onto my Flickr account (which you can check out here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/wolflinge/ )

4089969996_1fe2839786.jpg

Black Sun is a one of a kind event in Ireland at the moment. We don't receive any funding so every penny of what you pay in goes towards paying back flights, fees and overheads. Because of the limited capacity in the Granary, all we can ever hope for with these gigs is that we break even at all. This is why we are relying upon your curiosity and ultimately, your support for the DIY ethos that runs through the event. Inviting this caliber of artists over without a financial security net is risky but exhilarating at the same time. Everyone involved, from the Cork Film Centre to Paula (who makes the cakes) to the distro lads, are all part of this night because we all share the same belief that this ought to be happening in Ireland right now and that we can do it ourselves. So, a huge thanks to those who came out to the previous shows, especially those who traveled from outside Cork. We hope to see you at many more in the future.

4103942978_b5188a7726.jpg

Some sad news:
    Running Black Sun has been a financially pressured affair and we might have to scale things back a bit to keep from running ourselves into debt. Black Sun will no longer be an almost monthly event, we'll check back with you to see what form it'll take. It may just have to be a seasonal thing or if we get the support we need, it may turn into the full blown Irish experimental music festival I've always dreamed it could be.

So,

The next Black Sun will be our end of year bash, and we're tremendously excited about it.
    December 5th's event sees us welcoming a large portion of the Brighton 'out' fambly. We welcome the hugely influential and unclassifiable duo, Blood Stereo. Also travelling are Gryn Brvs (pronounced 'Groin Brothers) and HereHareHere! I'm thrilled to announce that we will have the debut solo performance from the staggeringly talented Anne Marie Deacy (whom some of you might know from the Irish band Mirakil Whip). To complete this line up, I've asked filmmaker and cinephile Maximilian Le Cain to curate a programme of experimental film to be shown at the beginning of the night.

27370711_l.jpg

http://www.ubu.com/sound/nyoukis.html

ear_diagram.gif
    Listen to loads of Blood Stereo mp3s on Ubuweb here!
    http://www.ubu.com/sound/blood_stereo.html

ubuweb.com wrote:
    Dylan Nyoukis's work exists on the fringe of contemporary avant garde art and underground DIY insurrection. As a leading light in the UK's tape/CD-R scene, Nyoukis has long functioned as a rallying point for artists working to clear a space for original, non-idiomatic sound and feral performance modes. Alongside his sister and long-term collaborator Lisa (Dora Doll), he founded the Chocolate Monk label in 1993, an early experimental music imprint that combined hi-jacks of outmoded media - cassette, CD-R, pen and paper - with cutting edge investigations of the limits of form, while functioning as a home for Nyoukis's own projects, Prick Decay, Decaer Pinga, Ceylon Mange, Blood Stereo and countless one-off collaborations.

Prick Decay's 2001 album, Guidelines For Basement Non-Fidel, has long been regarded as one of the founding documents of the new weird century, alongside Harry Pussy's "Smash The Mirror" and Sun City Girls Torch Of The Mystics. Nyoukis's early material paralleled international developments in post-noise syntax but his approach has become increasingly sophisticated while still retaining a refusenik energy, interrogating sound-poetry and musique concrete strategies while always working outside of their inherited strictures.

His current group, Blood Stereo, is a duo with his wife, the musician and artist Karen Constance, that explores hand-cranked 20th century technology in combination with epiglottal gymnastics and free music modes inherited as much from punk rock's mutilated aesthetic as utopian art styles. His solo vocal and tape work continues to push the envelope in terms of the expressive options offered by amplified physicality while his rejection of any kind of theoretical backdrop liberates him from servitude to any specific agenda. He remains a singular voice. Over the years he has collaborated with artists as diverse as Ludo Mich, Chris Corsano, Thurston Moore, Sun City Girls, Bill Nace, Heather Leigh Murray, Phil Minton, Neil Campbell, Usurper and Wolf Eyes. He lives in Brighton, England.

-David Keenan, Glasgow, June 2009

Both hailing from Blackburn. West Lothian,,, a ****sville village in Scotlands central belt, these tubes relocated and married in Brighton, England.. Lungs full of sea air and bellys full of wine fuel much of the scab sounds of Blood Stereo... Outside of this unholy union Karen performs solo as Smack Music 7, as well as leading an ever changing all female outsider noise group The Polly Shang Kuan Band. Dylan also records solo (under the imaginative umbrella of Dylan Nyoukis), previously he performed in Decaer Pinga (the artists formerly known as Prick decay) with his sister Dora Doll.
    http://www.myspace.com/bloodstereo
    "Anal fins tucked in tight behind them, Blood Stereo look like a pair of ill-kempt roosters, fighting over a dougnut. The guy rooster is jibbering in some unknown tongue, turning his face inside out, while shoving the microphone slowly through a hole in his cheek. the girl rooster appears to be pecking at him, either that or she's picking at various trash they have strewn around the stage. Every time she ducks her head there is the sound of a jet passing overhead. But when you look up at the sky there is no sign of a comtrail. After a while you think you are starting to get a handle on what they are doing, but the guy falls down and starts doing a spazz dance so utterly convincing you begin to worry about him. Then the girls starts screaming and itseems as though something is really profoundly wrong. And it is. But it's not like they're in any kind of trouble. They're just wrong, y'know? So savagely wrong from every angle that it's really tough to imagine there 's anything you could do to really help them. As if they'd even want in. In their masks or out, they sow confussion like wheat." - Byron Coley

Check out Karen's artwork. She is hands down my favourite artist.

http://www.myspace.com/smackmusic7

For those of you who attended Super Sonic 2008, you might remember her painting in the Creatures Of The Night exhibition...

l_76cc1adb85794ece4cebaf9fb5fe12d5.jpg

here.jpg

HereHareHere

Primitive & no-fi vocal duo from UK. Awesome free a'capella attack (throat effects, vocal incantation, ...). Somewhere between a rainbow in the African sky & a young girl singing alone behind Marty Mc Fly's future.

http://www.myspace.com/herehareherehare
    Brighton duo Hereharehere’s multi-tracked male and female voices start as unnerving chants emanating from dark shadows, rising into unhinged glossolalia and cresting in a threatening purr, like a wild cat driven insane with fear. -Daniel Spicer, The Wire

l_6275622868f4d740367694e79c3476-1.jpg?t=1258240018

www.myspace.com/grynbrvs79

Gryn Brvs

"One met Two in a chip-shop....whilst waiting talk turned to the fulk musics, cowes organs, yazz & solid state tuners......heads were nodding........an itch was scratched......a scab picked at perhaps.... they parted company......(ii) continued to beat his head against a trick wall.......years passed with little contact.......(i) royned his way to the southern hemisphere & later settled on Eire........during a return visit (ii) suggested a rendezvous with a tape recorder........this occured in september 2006 .......again in november 2006........and will happen intermittently.......for as long as (i) can maintain consciousness and for as long as (ii) can remain calm enough to do so........in the words of the renowned author Kobi Annobil:..... "G)royne Brothers rip up the speaker can't afford wax so they put it on visa.."

Cd(R) & Cassette releases available from ARCHIVO DE SANGRES DE DIOS/ DIGITALIS LTD/CHOCOLATE MONK/ROTTENSLUSHY/RURALFAUNE/PENDU SOUND/......

" Gryn Brvs unleash a session of lucid improvised tonal scapers and oscillating drones of mixer feedback. Beautiful alchemy drawn from the collective unconscious and spilled onto magnetic tape.No edits, just pure catharsis." Pendu Sound

" Surreal stuff complete with psychical transformations and blank-slated, mind****-irrationalism for top quality assurance" Foxy Digitalis

" Absolute 'less is more' jams of strumming and catatonic tinkling, sauced up with electronic drones. We also get a live basement jam and sweet closer that whiffs of atlantis. Now put your arms up, and your brow down" Chocolate Monk

More details to come...

l_97a28f435fe34940b12d3eb87f114a38.jpg

Fuaimbhac

Sound Barriers -the name of a new sound project of Annemarie Deacy. Over the years she has toured with Mirakil Whip -her band with Aaron Coyne- played on stage with United Bible Studies, Agitated Radio Pilot, Murmansk , Phantom Dog Beneath the moon, so cow and played on numerous recordings..As well as running many DIY events and music nights over the years in conventional and unconventional spaces..the aim of this project is to explore sound and bring the imaginary into reality by the use of various filters/oscillators...pedals keyboards and d.i.y toys..transistors, illusions..things we can see maybe hear but possibly not touch..the effect is of many layers of drones..this is not noise art but an invitation to the listener to have an aural experience..the pallet will be based on frequency exploration..one aspect of the performance will be based on planes breaking sound barriers..samples taken from camcorders..which are limited by their capacity to record such events..never the less there memory of an event is still valid..even if sonically blurred..these recordings are then mimicked using filters and pedals..and the journey into the amazing capabilities and barriers of sound equipment, memory and science begins..there will also be a short piece on Synesthesia..music and colour.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

We got a lot of travelers from Dublin to Black Sun at the last event. Due to limited capacity at this event, tickets tend to go quickly. I'll update when they go on sale but if you're traveling from outside of Cork, throw me a message if you need me to set aside some tickets for you. There's a cheap hostel right by the venue (which is a city centre theatre).

blacksun3web.jpg

Here are some words from Max Le Cain on the first experimental film programme he's curated for Black Sun.

oriol2.jpg

The first Black Sun experimental cinema programme consists of three short films, each articulating a different potential of the transformative perceptual processes that film and video have at their disposal.

Cork filmmaker Chris O’Neill’s Saint Francis Didn’t Run Numbers (3 mins, 2009) excavates new and surprising spaces from a famous American film of the ‘70s, abstracting a silent, hidden universe from the bustle of narrativity and causing the viewer to question how many other potential films might be concealed in any given movie.

Copy Scream (3 mins, 2005) is a breakthrough work by Oriol Sánchez, arguably the most gifted experimental filmmaker to have come out of Spain in the past decade. His films have been showcased twice in Cork this year, at Cork Film Festival and during the Avant Festival. Copy Scream is a visceral examination of the process of ‘projection’, not only projector-screen projection but also the numerous ‘projections’ a moving image undergoes as it migrates across media.

The evening’s centerpiece screening is a very rare showing of Etienne O’Leary’s Homeo (40 mins, 1967), an object-lesson in the cinematic intensification of images drawn from day-to-day reality, in which home movie footage is rendered rock’n’roll poetry through montage. This cinematic treasure is one of the very few films made by O’Leary, all of which emerged from the French underground circa 1968 and can be very loosely designated ‘diary films’. Like the contemporaneous films by O’Leary’s more famous friend Pierre Clementi, they trippily document the drug-drenched hedonism of that era’s dandies. In contrast to the back-to-origins minimalism of the Zanzibar Group (Garrel, Deval, Reynal, Bard, etc), O’Leary worked with an intoxicating style that foregrounded rapid and even subliminal cutting, dense layering of superimposed images and a spontaneous notebook type shooting style. The touchstone would seem to be Mekas and the New York underground rather than Godard. Yet even if much of O’Leary’s material was initially ‘diaristic’, depicting the friends, lovers, and places that he encountered in his private life, the metamorphoses it underwent during editing transformed it into a series of ambiguously fictionalized, sometimes darkly sexual fantasias.

oriol1.jpg

• Advertisement

I'm really excited about Max's programme. We only recently found out that we had gotten the rights to screen the Etienne O' Leary film. I was aching to post about it for a long time but had to keep shtum. As usual, Rimbaud Records will be joining us, as well as Dot Dot Dot. Biggest shout of all goes out to Paula Larkin who's baking gingerbread cupcakes with lemon buttercream icing, carrot cake cupcakes with creamcheese icing and chocolate fudge raspberry brownies and more... All cakes are vegan... \m/

Here's an excerpt from one of O'Leary's other films, Chromo Sud.

o%27leary+still.jpg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X5tXWJxRFM

x

Advertisement