Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cinemas That Are No More

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I knew a few guys who worked in the Stella in Rathimines shortly before it closed up.

I saw Police Academy 4 in the Stella, fond memories of me and my brother watching it while my Dad slept :D

I thought I saw Ghostbusters in the Curzon but if it was on the same side as the Ritz then it must have been the Cameo that I saw it in, definitely wasn't the Adelphi. Saw loads of films there but not Ghostbusters.

Here's the site of the old Premier cinema in Main Street, Lucan, now occupied by Ulster Bank.

Spurious posted some great photos of the old building here and here. It had been closed a long time when these photos were taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

Actually reading a book about old cinemas in Dublin, written by Marc Zimmermann, as I type. About 3 years old but fairly up to date. Published just before the Classic in Harolds Cross, the venue for my first experience with a Silver Screen (to see Grease, oh the shame!), was demolished. I don't think I'll ever forget the shock I got driving past it on the day it had been bulldozed. I nearly crashed the car. It was a devastating blow to my childhood, I tell thee....

Only cinema missing from the book is The Grove Panoramic in Lucan apparently (according to an office elder ;)) Anybody know what happened to that?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Whitehall Cinema is no more.

Now used as a bingo hall with all the auld biddies blocking up the local roads most week nights,trying to park their cars outside it.

Its soon to be leveled and a 6 storey modern apartment complex with 28 space underground car park will be built in its place.Full Planning Permission was approved and granted for this development last year.

marwelie wrote: »
    Only cinema missing from the book is The Grove Panoramic in Lucan apparently (according to an office elder ;)) Anybody know what happened to that?
    It was derelict for years and then demolished to make way for an Ulster Bank and apartments :(

See this thread (by me :D) for more. If you look in the picture on that thread you will see the 'Grove Panoramic' logo but it was also known as the Premier cinema too. I miss that cinema, saw ET there, Return of the Jedi, Aristocats (:o) and many more movies there as a kid.

EDIT: This is the location that as it looks now.

EDIT: Jayziz marweile, i've only realised that I posted this same information a few months ago about four posts above this one!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

r3nu4l wrote: »
    It was derelict for years and then demolished to make way for an Ulster Bank and apartments :(

See this thread (by me :D) for more. If you look in the picture on that thread you will see the 'Grove Panoramic' logo but it was also known as the Premier cinema too. I miss that cinema, saw ET there, Return of the Jedi, Aristocats (:o) and many more movies there as a kid.

EDIT: This is the location that as it looks now.

EDIT: Jayziz marweile, i've only realised that I posted this same information a few months ago about four posts above this one!!!

Thanks, that's what I get for not reading the whole thread before posting (I was supposed to be working ;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 jontallaght

Sad that the Savoy and screen look like being added to this list. Happy though that the old cinema in Tallaght will be open soon. Its probably difficult for them to compete with out of town cinemas.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/savoy-cinema-may-face-the-final-curtain-3024277.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

It was called the Curzon (a 2 screen site) and they played Diva for 2 years straight to packed out audiences every night. The French ambassador came over for one of the shows of that film! Unfortunately it went the same way as alot of the older cinemas in the mid 80's but they were great days when they lasted :)

Remember going to see Top Gun there in 1987 for my Sixth Birthday.Also went to Janelle Cinema in Finglas to see Ghostbusters 2 and Back To The Future 2 in 1989 and also The Apollo In Walkinstown.Shame these little local Cinemas have become a thing of the past. Cant fookin stand Cineworld everytime i go there's always someone that wont shut up drives me nuts!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,590 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Sad that the Savoy and screen look like being added to this list. Happy though that the old cinema in Tallaght will be open soon. [/URL]

The good news is that the Tallaght cinema is re-opening as an IMC (part of the Ward Anderson chain that also owns the Savoy and Screen) in the coming months. Ward Anderson is also meant to be opening a cinema in the Stephen's Green shopping centre but I don't know what the timeline for that is (or whether it even has planning premission)

Almost (but not quite city centre), is a new Odeon Cinema opening at the end of the month at Point Village. However this also spells the end of the UCI and Storm brands which will be rebranded Odeon Cinemas over the next few months (though no cinemas are being closed as a result of this, so good news).

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dubgothic

I was looking up the Irish release date for "The Bride Of Frankenstein",
    which was in the winter of 1935.It got a large photo on the back of the Herald,nice publicity.Here's the listings from that same week.Films changed more than once a week then.The number of actual screens hasn't changed all that much over the years,but now they all show the same major releases.
    Bit like replacing quirky local cafes with Burger chains.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

dubgothic wrote: »
    I was looking up the Irish release date for "The Bride Of Frankenstein",
    which was in the winter of 1935.It got a large photo on the back of the Herald,nice publicity.Here's the listings from that same week.Films changed more than once a week then.The number of actual screens hasn't changed all that much over the years,but now they all show the same major releases.
    Bit like replacing quirky local cafes with Burger chains.

I like the advertisments for The Sanford [cinema in Ranleagh (my local cinema when I was a boy in the '70s)] and The Stella [cinema in Rathmines].

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

It saddened me deeply when I passed the Classic cinema recently. Have not passed it in many years I knew it was no longer in business I didn't know the whole feckin building was gone!

Many happy memories going there and then down to Dunkin Donuts after for 2 donuts and a cup of tea or coffee for 99p :(

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Hi "The Scribbler",

You asked earlier about other cinemas in Cork i.e. the county - I remember spending a lot of time at "The Oakwood" in Carrigaline, as a teenager. Now that was a big night out - bus up from Crosshaven, film, chips and bus home................. aaaah, innocent times.

But then again - only one film every week or two.

Great thread! J

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

merlie wrote: »
    The Royal in Rathmines - This cinema was next door to the, now also long gone, the Gas Corner shop on Rathmines Road. It had an accordion gated front when I saw it many years ago and had long closed. It was a small looking cinema from the front. Does anyone remember it?

Anybody know exactly where this was? I also know there was one called The Princess in Rathmines, which hasn't been mentioned. It was demolished in '82 but I'm not sure exactly where it was either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭bazza1

I remember The Green cinema when the got the "Double seats" for courtin' couples! :D

The Classic
    The Kenilworth
    The Stella (Bruce Lee movies)
    The carlton (first real date!)

Aaaah....nostalgia!:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dubgothic

Dublin libraries have copies of
    "The A to Z of all old Dublin Cinemas"
    George P. Kearns & Patrick Maguire
    THE book on cinemas.

Advertisement