Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birthday present for wonderful husband.

Options
  • 07-09-2009 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭

I am looking for some help. My wonderful husands birthday is comoing up on the 9th oct. I have booked a surprise 5 day trip to paris. We will be staying in a 5 star hotel so I have well and truely blown the budget.

I want to get him something for the day, champage come as part of the hotel deal.

He will be 42, works as a health and safety consultant, reads a lot,
    loves pampering treats (spa etc) is learnig to play the guitar. I want to get him something that he will always have but thats a little different. He is the kind of guy who will try most things once. I was thinking around the e100 mark.

Looking forward to lots of replys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Lucky guy!

Ok, I'm going to throw some strange ideas your way, hope you don't mind!

1. A voucher for a tattoo! Yep, a real one! Do some research, and find one in Paris.
    Fulfills the "he will always have but thats a little different" brief.

2. You might find this strange, but did he ever read comics when he was a kid?
    Buy him one comic from his youth, perhaps on eBay, and present it to him, all wrapped up.

3. Go on a Mystery Tour of Paris, by Bus! Come on, do the research, he'll be amazed at the effort you put in, and he will appreciate it! Examples, The Guitar Store, http://www.guitarstore.fr/, could be one stop. List out HIS interests, find them in Paris, and organise the day. You could contact the Paris Tourist Office for help.

4. I have a few ideas, but they're totally not appropriate for discussion here :D

TBH - it doesn't matter what you buy him, it not the gift that's important, it really is the thought. I can't remember some of the gifts my Wife has bought me down the years, (:eek:) but I can remember every time she went out of her way to make me feel special. It's often the things that don't cost anything, that are the most precious.

You know him best, think back, find the thing/s that you feel would make him go "wow, she's a keeper!" - it might be an old photograph for his desk, or wallet, it might be an old video, wedding, party etc., that you get converted to DVD. It might be a dvd that you make yourself, of the family and mates wishing him a happy birthday that you can play on the day. Some of the best things, don't cost anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

wonderful husband. Your a wonderful wife. I think you got him enough already. I hope the two of ye have a wonderful time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

You are a good wife! I'm really curious what you got him for his 40th if this is what you are getting him for his 42nd!

What about booking something really fun to do on the day of his bday in Paris? The last time I was there, I saw people doing this:

http://www.viator.com/tours/Paris/Private-Citroen-2CV-Tour-Secret-Paris/d479-3907FLA

It sounds like fun, especially if he is into old quirky cars.

I booked this for my husband and me on that trip:

http://www.viator.com/tours/Paris/Paris-City-Segway-Night-Tour/d479-3588SEGWAY02

It was the best fun we had the entire trip! I know the Segways look scary, but they are so easy to get the hang of. Walking is such a drag afterwards! I wanted to buy my own Segway the minute I came home :D. You also get a great tour of Paris at night and the guides have some great little stories that you won't find in the guidebook. When I booked, I was able to get it for €29 per person! All the other dates were much more expensive so maybe I was just lucky. It says it is €75 pp, but to be honest, it's worth it as it's quite a long tour. You can also book a daytime tour.

There are loads of other ideas and tours on the Viator website if neither of those float your boat :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Guitar Classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

ncmc wrote: »
    You are a good wife! I'm really curious what you got him for his 40th if this is what you are getting him for his 42nd!

What about booking something really fun to do on the day of his bday in Paris? The last time I was there, I saw people doing this:

http://www.viator.com/tours/Paris/Private-Citroen-2CV-Tour-Secret-Paris/d479-3907FLA

It sounds like fun, especially if he is into old quirky cars.

I booked this for my husband and me on that trip:

http://www.viator.com/tours/Paris/Paris-City-Segway-Night-Tour/d479-3588SEGWAY02

It was the best fun we had the entire trip! I know the Segways look scary, but they are so easy to get the hang of. Walking is such a drag afterwards! I wanted to buy my own Segway the minute I came home :D. You also get a great tour of Paris at night and the guides have some great little stories that you won't find in the guidebook. When I booked, I was able to get it for €29 per person! All the other dates were much more expensive so maybe I was just lucky. It says it is €75 pp, but to be honest, it's worth it as it's quite a long tour. You can also book a daytime tour.

There are loads of other ideas and tours on the Viator website if neither of those float your boat :)

For his 40th I had a surprise party. I booked out Mullingar gray hound track and booked a 52 seat bus to take our friends (had a dinner another night for our family and older friends) to the track for dinner, racing and had a band after. It was a great night. He really was blown away and the hour plus drive on the bus was a champagne sing song.

For his present I got him a day in ard na hoo health spa and did a care box with a little gift for him to open every hour on the hour. I put in things like A book/cd I knew he would love, key ring with a nice message, little things like that.

For christmas last year I got him a mens image day with a personal shopping trip, he loved it.

We did both of those type of trips in Prague last month and loved them.
    Would love to do the car trip in Paris.

As we have both not been to Paris and you have, could you suggest any really nice places to eat. Would love to take him for a lovely meal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

trad wrote: »
    Guitar Classes.

Thanks, I did that for his birthday last year and he is still going and doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

For his 40th I had a surprise party. I booked out Mullingar gray hound track and booked a 52 seat bus to take our friends (had a dinner another night for our family and older friends) to the track for dinner, racing and had a band after. It was a great night. He really was blown away and the hour plus drive on the bus was a champagne sing song.

For his present I got him a day in ard na hoo health spa and did a care box with a little gift for him to open every hour on the hour. I put in things like A book/cd I knew he would love, key ring with a nice message, little things like that.

For christmas last year I got him a mens image day with a personal shopping trip, he loved it.

We did both of those type of trips in Prague last month and loved them.
    Would love to do the car trip in Paris.

As we have both not been to Paris and you have, could you suggest any really nice places to eat. Would love to take him for a lovely meal.

Whoa, you really are a generous wife! What lovely gift ideas (storing these away fro hubby's Christmas present!)

You will love Paris, it is a truly magical city, my advice would be to not plan to do too much much and allow plenty of time for just wandering around, stopping in for a coffee and just enjoying the beauty. Myself and my hubby have been there twice, but we are always on a budget, so we don't eat in very fancy places. The great thing about Paris is that there are so many restaurants for all price ranges and as a rule, the food is really good. You could try one of the restaurants in the Eiffel Tower if your budget allows. There are some restaurant recommendations on this thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055303924

If you post a topic on the travel forum you should get plenty of replies. There is a mod there, Ponster and s/he lives in Paris and is a foodie, so you'll def get a reply from him/her!

Enjoy your trip. I was there the first week of October a few years back and it is especially beautiful at that time of year.

Advertisement