Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

course condition

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭BigAl>>

Played knightsbrook in Trim on Wednesday and the greens were forked:( .Was meant toplay Royal tara but was informed tht they had forked their greens too:eek:. Just went from bad to worse:rolleyes: other than tht the course was is tip top shape ( oh and the sun shined all afternoon:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭sweetswing

BigAl>> wrote: »
    Played knightsbrook in Trim on Wednesday and the greens were forked:( .Was meant toplay Royal tara but was informed tht they had forked their greens too:eek:. Just went from bad to worse:rolleyes: other than tht the course was is tip top shape ( oh and the sun shined all afternoon:D)
    when you booked knightsbrook did they tell you the greens were spiked??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭BigAl>>

sweetswing wrote: »
    when you booked knightsbrook did they tell you the greens were spiked??

No:eek: but to be fair i used tee times:D. no biggy anyway, still enjoyed the round

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭dnjoyce

played the old head on Thurs (part of a group on the €60 deal), greens were forked but still running pretty fast and only a little bumpy but such was the rest of the experience (stunning weather and views) that it is not something that detracted from the day. Now, if I had paid €300 then it would have been a different story!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

As a Greenkeeper I do get a little miffed with Golfers complaining about sanded fairways, aerated Greens, topdressed greens etc...Guys if you want to avoid all these inconveniences try playing up and down a field out in the countryside.

• Advertisement

Also what the hell is forking greens? Never come across it.?????????

I advise all of you to look into some of the practices we greenkeepers are engaged in. Might give you a little more understanding and sympathy.

I do agree however, golfers should be informed at all times when maintenance is being carried out.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭sweetswing

Also what the hell is forking greens? Never come across it.?????????

I advise all of you to look into some of the practices we greenkeepers are engaged in. Might give you a little more understanding and sympathy.

I do agree however, golfers should be informed at all times when maintenance is being carried out.
    i think everyone will agree that a lot of work goes into maintaining greens and courses , but we should be told when booking that the greens are forked (sorry dont know real name for this) but i bet every golfer that reads this knows what im on about. the clubs are at fault not the green keepers .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭abceire

As a Greenkeeper I do get a little miffed with Golfers complaining about sanded fairways, aerated Greens, topdressed greens etc...Guys if you want to avoid all these inconveniences try playing up and down a field out in the countryside.
    bit harsh but yes, if you want good greens your going to have to put up with the practices that make them greens good,but they are right,golfers should be informed, but then if you book something over the net its hard to be informed,plus the weather has to be taken into account, some practices can only take place in certain weather conditions,so sometimes you just get there and decide that morning the weather suits and off you go

sweetswing wrote: »
    i think everyone will agree that a lot of work goes into maintaining greens and courses , but we should be told when booking that the greens are forked (sorry dont know real name for this) but i bet every golfer that reads this knows what im on about. the clubs are at fault not the green keepers .

I believe forking was a type of aerating carried out 30 or 40 years ago.

I too have been abhorred to arrive and find temporary greens in use. The emphasis really is on the club to inform the golfer but alas these are clubs and not business'.

Just as a bit of info for those who are not aware. Aerating and Topdressing (sanding) is required for a number of reasons.
    It helps prevent the build up of a thatch layer, the result of which is soft, damp greens, infested with disease and pests. It breathes new life into the grass which is under tremendous pressure from golfers and machinery. Provides a firm receptive surface, Ideal for putting and approach shots.

Finally, its bloody hard work. We probably hate it just as much as any golfer:eek:

it was always my most dreaded 2 weeks, we d two course and did them back to back,i miss greenkeeping, i aint worked on a course since start of august, come world , start golfing again and lots

• Advertisement

abceire wrote: »
    it was always my most dreaded 2 weeks, we d two course and did them back to back,i miss greenkeeping, i aint worked on a course since start of august, come world , start golfing again and lots

Its a bad time for the industry for sure. I should really thank my lucky stars I have a job. I can see a lot of courses falling by the wayside over the next couple of years. Saturated the market is. Still I think their is always a need for greenkeepers with experience and ambition. So I'd keep the faith. Best of luck getting a good position in a low maintenance course:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Mister Sifter

Lads, played a course recently that had, not sure of the technical term, sliced the greens, i suppose a little like this... ///////

Just wondering why one course would go with this as opposed to pole forking. Purely a preference thing or does it depend on the state of the greens?

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

Lads, played a course recently that had, not sure of the technical term, sliced the greens, i suppose a little like this... ///////

Just wondering why one course would go with this as opposed to pole forking. Purely a preference thing or does it depend on the state of the greens?

Thats verticutting- as the name suggests- cuts vertically down. Courses do this aswell as aerating. I think its suposed to take up the dead grass and roots from the green.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

where am I is this the cooking and recipes forum:confused:.....forking and slicing!!!

time to get the fork out of here

Thats verticutting- as the name suggests- cuts vertically down. Courses do this aswell as aerating. I think its suposed to take up the dead grass and roots from the green.
    more or less right,helps get rid of the dead grass and organic material at base of the plant(grass) we call it thatch or the thatch layer, you want some organic material down there , but to much is bad for a few reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

abceire wrote: »
    more or less right,helps get rid of the dead grass and organic material at base of the plant(grass) we call it thatch or the thatch layer, you want some organic material down there , but to much is bad for a few reasons

Its like the scarifying you all do in your garden to pick up the moss (You are all doing this right! :eek:) but it doesnt do the damage scarifying would, it also helps with overseeding. (Giving the seeds somewhere to go)

Advertisement