Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best & Worst County Tipperary towns

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 motipp

check out Fethard - i am not from there so no bias. its got it all - community spirit, arts, history, a good festival, McCarthy's bar, the road to Killenaule...I could go on.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 motipp

tippspur wrote: »
    I think this has been done before,or something similar,

you're right - there was a previous thread. On it i asked why all of Tipp is in the 'mid west' forum when everybody knows there are 'two tipps' - north and south which are poles apart. Ask a man from fethard 'do you know maryann from nenagh'...you might as well be enquiring about his knowledge of letterkenny. so i repeat my request to the Boards editors...leave north tipp in the mid west forum, but resettle us southsiders to the south east forum where we belong.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

Certainly haven't noticed it being any worse now than it was back in the 80s or 90s.

Point noted, however back in the late seventies - early eighties things were slightly different, sure there were fights and all sorts of carry on (i can only speak for Clonmel) i'm sure it was the same elsewhere, but we didn't have people shooting up heroin down laneways or snorting coke in the pub/club toilets, all that much back then. The drug culture has turned most irish towns into really viscious and dangerous places, like the amount of unsolved murders in Clonmel is frightening, compared to the eighties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Mozzeltoff wrote: »
    Oh deary me!Must not be in touch with reality!GET REAL!Re read the post in the context that there is nothing to do in Nenagh!!And yeah I know there's a world out there besides Hollywood!!!God you must think I am some uncultured bint who hasn't been two miles the far side of a cow****!Wrong!Been to manys a country and happy enough to have gotten out of the cesspit that is Nenagh for awhile!
    So get the idea out of your head that I am "sad".The only thing Nenagh is good for is driving people away or driving them to tears.
    All I am saying is that the place has nothing going for it and on friday nights those who aren't old enough to go to Maximus or any other ****ty pubs in the town are stuck in there watching the same films they saw the week before!And half of them are kicked out because the owner or the manager didn't like the cut of em!!AND I KNOW THIS BECAUSE I WORKED THERE FOR TWO SOLID YEARS!!Seirously the town has no other amenities for teenagers and then people wonder why teenage alcoholism has risen in the area!It's always been the way for years!There wasn't a weekend gone by that you wouldn't have found gangs of kids hanging around the castle field drinking and doing God knows what..
    Go out to the railway yard on a Friday or Saturday night now and you'll see the ditches crawling with teenagers downing cider or Bavaria like there's no tomorrow!
    Nenagh is far from a scum hole but there has been a rise in depression in the place and a rise of alcoholism..there is nothing to do in the place unless you are into sports and come on..not everyone in Nenagh is into sports and those of us who don't want to be found drinking on a Monday night are bored out of our skulls!!I am not sad and I am not basing Nenagh town around the cinema.I am merely pointing out that that's all there seems to be in the town besides pubs!If you wanna be proud of Nenagh go ahead I am not stopping ya but I am entitled to my opinion!I have lived here all my freaking life and its wonder I am even left with a stitch of sanity!My friends live here and only for them I would be stone cracked!
    The place is the most depressing and motivationless pimple on the country.People losing their jobs left,right and centre,courses being closed and cancelled due to lack of funding,FAS can't offer anything either!I know this is the story with every town in Ireland but I know that an awful lot more towns around the country have alot going for them!Nenagh is just falling to the way side!
    So read my posts carefully before you make an opinion.Because I am far from sad and if I am sad..THE TOWN MADE ME SAD because lets face it NENAGH IS SAD!Now in your own words..get real would you??

The town has lots of amenities, you just have no imagination or anything to create with your life.

You want someone else to give you entertainment. For the town of its size it has facilities towns with populations at least 3 times bigger.

Now the world isn't sad, you are sad and you make the world sad, with your sadness.

Get real like I said. Bear in mind I did not read the rest of your post. Its complete tripe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Clonmel isn't the best to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    Clonmel isn't the best to be fair.

concise and to the point, good post.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭supermommy

:)
    what's the best town between Limerick and Nenagh, with a good primary and secondary school? I work on that end of Limerick and am ready to make a move. I'm open to anywhere but completely vulnerable as I'm a blow in! I have 3 impressionable young boys to consider. Any opinions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

supermommy wrote: »
    what's the best town between Limerick and Nenagh, with a good primary and secondary school? I work on that end of Limerick and am ready to make a move. I'm open to anywhere but completely vulnerable as I'm a blow in! I have 3 impressionable young boys to consider. Any opinions?

Would I be right in saying Killaloe and Ballina are the only towns between Limerick and Nenagh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

tech2 wrote: »
    Would I be right in saying Killaloe and Ballina are the only towns between Limerick and Nenagh?

Newport - Silvermines?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Deedsie wrote: »
    Silvermines?

Forgot about Newport, is Silvermines a town?

Its a village i suppose. You would also have Portroe in that category.

I grew up in Nenagh, loved it! Will always be home to me. But others on this forum have a different opinion of the town. My Hometown By Bruce Springsteen kinda covers it. When the motorway is open a commute from Nenagh to Limerick will be very short.

I wouldnt know much about schools in the area but at a guess the Limerick city schools would be better. Ardscoil Rís is supposed to be good.

I grew up in Nenagh, loved it! Will always be home to me. But others on this forum have a different opinion of the town. When the motorway is open a commute from Nenagh to Limerick will be very short.

I wouldnt know much about schools in the area but at a guess the Limerick city schools would be better. Ardscoil Rís is supposed to be good.

We are thinking that Nenagh may be our winner despite the negative comments on here (cant please everyone!)
    My oldest son was denied Ardscoil Rís as we arent from here and he had no right of entry. From what I hear tho CBS is a good school, he is a smart kid tho so he should be fine.
    I just hope he doesnt get beat up for being American! I heard that happened in Nenagh recently!:rolleyes:
    We were thinking Newport but so many people have said to me that its getting a big dodgy!
    Thanks!

We are thinking that Nenagh may be our winner despite the negative comments on here (cant please everyone!)
    My oldest son was denied Ardscoil Rís as we arent from here and he had no right of entry. From what I hear tho CBS is a good school, he is a smart kid tho so he should be fine.
    I just hope he doesnt get beat up for being American! I heard that happened in Nenagh recently!:rolleyes:
    We were thinking Newport but so many people have said to me that its getting a big dodgy!
    Thanks!

I went to the Boys national, Nenagh CBS Primary and Secondary. I like to think I ended up ok. I enjoyed my times in School. Good teachers, Great Friends. Always had something to do. I have an American cousin, From Vegas comes home every few years. He gets on with people in Nenagh better than I do. Never heard of an American getting beat up?

There are obviously bad points about the town, scobes etc. Lack of a town park being one of the main problems in my opinion. If you have any questions about Nenagh ask away. Id be happy to help.

I went to the Boys national, Nenagh CBS Primary and Secondary. I like to think I ended up ok. I enjoyed my times in School. Good teachers, Great Friends. Always had something to do. I have an American cousin, From Vegas comes home every few years. He gets on with people in Nenagh better than I do. Never heard of an American getting beat up?

There are obviously bad points about the town, scobes etc. Lack of a town park being one of the main problems in my opinion. If you have any questions about Nenagh ask away. Id be happy to help.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/students-american-accent-sparked-vicious-assault-1939218.html

Here is the link to the story, only happened a few months ago actually. It was kinda funny cuz I saw the story right around the time we first started looking at moving to Nenagh. I kinda went um...mebbie not..lol

I would have 2 boys in primary and one in secondary. Everyone I have ever met from Nenagh has been lovely but surely thats not everyone. As long as the schools are good and I can commute to work I dont mind. I cant think of any more questions about Nenagh but we cant really even look at houses til July as I want the boys to finish out the school year where they are at the moment.

• Advertisement

Nenagh is a great town by the standards of a town its size.

There are few cnuts in the town that are racist and are only trying to create more hatred to other people for no reason. I've seen them myself.

Thats becoming apparent in many towns across Ireland. Its not really a racism issue imo, its just a group of unhappy ****eers needing to vent their stuff onto a minority group or someone who is suspected to be victimized.

I have always found Nenagh to be extremely safe and friendly. Its just the few who are around the town on a Saturday night after drinking. But if you mix with many people and have many friends they will not bother you or your sons.

They are real cowards believe me. They are all tough in a group but on their own, they run from a mouse.......

Let it over your heard and don't let the negativity pull you down. Nenagh is a fine town to live in:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

What is with all the tipp town haters???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭calerbass

Seskin court is some balls of a place to live in carrick on suir, and i could back that up with numerous reasons........;)

mysterious wrote: »

Let it over your heard and don't let the negativity pull you down. Nenagh is a fine town to live in:)

If I listened to everything everyone said about a place, I would never have moved to Limerick :)
    Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭pooch90

calerbass wrote: »
    Seskin court is some balls of a place to live in carrick on suir, and i could back that up with numerous reasons........;)

Go on then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

If I listened to everything everyone said about a place, I would never have moved to Limerick :)
    Thanks!

Is it not in Limerick? I remember signing a petition last year to have it annexed by Limerick county council.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭cullen5998

What is with all the tipp town haters???

Its because its a horrible run down place. No reason whatsoever to stop there. Rough too from what i hear at the weekend. I hate even passing through there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

unfortunately it doesn't present a very positive image most times it comes to prominence.
    Apart from the song and the Tipperary peace prize, that is :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

Has to be tipperary followed by roscrea and templemore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Has to be tipperary followed by roscrea and templemore.

typical thurles begrudgery :D

adding to the five shops which have shut in roscrea main street since christmas is the guideras butchers. thats six. i asked about the rents for the empty shops in the street and was guided 250 per week. no wonder they are closing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Tipp town is some hell-hole.Bar chinese or chipper there's one awful italian so eating out isn't an option. Most of the place is on the dole-survey done a while ago. There's no decent place for lunch either.It's full of scumbags so you've to be careful going out.nellies is only half decent pub.I blame the state for foddering the scum-especially those ones who made the national media from paddys day a year ago.Thank god i'm not from the place.

Nenagh has improved heaps in the last few years. I would like to see the back streets done up and some living over the shop schemes in places like Hanly's place, Emmet Place, Silver street Ball Alley lane and Ball Alley lane carkpark turned into a town square with the car parking stacked into a multi storey.

Oh and more trees lots of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭rob55

tipp town, adventure up to the squares and the plots:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Role

I don't no much about north tipp but the south has some nice villages such as emly which is a tidy towns winner.

Clonmel, is one of the largest towns in ireland and has the facilities to go with it. it is great for shopping and eating out, altough it could do with a decent nightclub. like any large town some parts of the town are no go areas such as garymore, elm park, the wilderness and the old bridge and they are probaly the worst estates in county tipperary with numerous murders including gangland murders and other crime happening in those areas in recent years.

Carrick on suir is not a nice town to visit and has a bad reputation. shopping in the area is poor. the one good thing about carrick is that the house prices are low and is a good place to live if you want to commute to clonmel or waterford.

Tipp town, again another town with a bad reputation and rightly so, they can't even hold a st patricks day parade without attacking american tourists. The place also looks fairly desperate. It is unfair that a few scumbags have brought the town down.

Cahir and Cashel are very nice towns with low crime. The towns are full of tourists in the summer season and have great places to visit such as cahir castle and the rock of cashel. These towns might not be the best places to go shopping and are a bit dull and boring during the winter but all in all they are probaly the nicest towns in south tipp.

There is a few other smaller towns such as ardfinnan, mullinahone, fethard and clogheen but they are typical of any small Irish town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Role wrote: »
    Cahir and Cashel are very nice towns with low crime. The towns are full of tourists in the summer season and have great places to visit such as cahir castle and the rock of cashel. These towns might not be the best places to go shopping and are a bit dull and boring during the winter but all in all they are probaly the nicest towns in south tipp.

I'm a big fan of Cahir because it is what it is and it does it very well. It's a picturesque heritage town without delusions of grandeur. It's very scenic, has great outdoor amenities, an excellent leisure centre and some great cafes. There are very few members of the tracksuit brigade in Cahir. Sure, it has terrible shops; but it's not a shopping town, so that's okay.

I do think though that South Tipp County Council has undermined both Cahir and Cashel by allowing so much one-off housing in the 15 square kilometres around each town. These have cut away the population densities from Cahir and Cashel. Had those houses been well planned within the towns, you'd have two much more vibrant and economically magnetic urban centres.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Worst is Tipp town, absolute hole of a town

Best. Why Terryglass, lovely spot out by the lake and has racked up the tidy towns awards. Fully deserved

I'd agree Nenagh has improved greatly in the last few years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,499 ✭✭✭cml387

Worst is Tipp town, absolute hole of a town

Best. Why Terryglass, lovely spot out by the lake and has racked up the tidy towns awards. Fully deserved

I'd agree Nenagh has improved greatly in the last few years

I agree about Nenagh. I was over there a few weeks ago and there are some lovely little shops and restaurants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

But does Terryglass have enough shops and facilities to be upgraded to a town?

It's a fair question, I don't realy know

Possibly it doesn't belong in the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭twistyj

rob55 wrote: »

hi boi nottin wrong with the plots :D

I suggest we give Tipp Town to Limerick, let them annex it. We don't want it :p

Ah i take it your not from tipp town then??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Like most major towns Clonmel has a really bad element but they tend to stick to beating up each other on a Saturday night. If you keep away from them they will leave you alone. If you look through the announcements in the paper you will find there is a reasonable amount to do in and around the town beyond the traditional pub, night club, chipper, A&E. Good shopping and some good employers

Tipp Town in contrast is a dive. Dangerous after dark and increasingly during the day because here the scumbags seek you out. It might be one or two families but if you are misfortunate to be in their general area when the urge to hit someone reaches boiling point then you're going to get a savage beating. No one who knows Tipp Town was surprised that the random violence there dominated Liveline for a week a couple of years ago. Thanks to Joe putting the guards to shame the boyo's got locked up but they are due out soon and they will have a lot of pent up rage to discharge on a few poor innocents. No shopping and pretty much no employment. Best bypassed but the budget isn't there anymore so lock your doors as you slowly pass through.

Nenagh isn't as bad for random violence but don't be lulled into a false sense of security. It's the only place I've ever been mugged. Twice. It's dead and dull and nothing going for it. It's suffered a lot in recent years with multinationals closing down and the IDA have done nothing to find replacement employment. It just strikes me as a depressed place devoid of hope and has rising crime as a result.

Carrick and Cahir are just dull. They rely on tourism in the summer and commuting to Clonmel/Waterford for the rest of the year. There is a rough element in both towns but nothing more or less than you will find in any other Irish town.

Cashel has more going for it because of the Rock and the tourism that attracts around the year. But as a result there is a twee element to the town. Good place to go for a day/night if you have visitors from overseas but it wouldn't be somewhere I'd head to for a night out without an American in tow.

so lock your doors as you slowly pass through

Yes because car-jacking is all the craze in tipp town these days.

huuuuuuhhh christ.....

touts wrote: »
    Nenagh isn't as bad for random violence but don't be lulled into a false sense of security. It's the only place I've ever been mugged. Twice. It's dead and dull and nothing going for it. It's suffered a lot in recent years with multinationals closing down and the IDA have done nothing to find replacement employment. It just strikes me as a depressed place devoid of hope and has rising crime as a result.

I am going to disagree with that, I always feel safe in Nenagh. If you dont look for trouble you wont get it. Proctor & Gamble are still employing people & Careys glass factory have taken on people earlier this year. There is alot of people in the town who work in Limerick, there is now a motorway to the regional capital infrastructure has improved immeasurably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭car

rob55 wrote: »

Ha Ha havent heared the word Plots in years..... made me laugh, had the pleasure of playing the odd game of rounders here in my time.... running around the wall, thinking ur brilliant then falling into a load of nettles and running home crying!

But Honestly Tipp Town is the worst place ever.... I know spent over half my life there, but have got wise and left!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭Drop the Ball

Nenagh is a great town...during day light hours. You could not meet nicer and friendlier people than Nenagh folk. But when the sun goes down the lunatics take over the asylum.

Garrykennedy has to be one of the nicest places in Co.Tipp, a picturesque village on the shores of Lough Derg. A hidden gem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

touts wrote: »

Carrick and Cahir are just dull. They rely on tourism in the summer and commuting to Clonmel/Waterford for the rest of the year. There is a rough element in both towns but nothing more or less than you will find in any other Irish town.

Wtf are you on about? Carrick is a place where your statement may be true, but Cahir? You obviously have no experience there. Or if you do, it's VERY limited. I've had a hell of a lot more trouble in Clonmel than Cahir. Seems by your post that you've had a taste of these towns, at best. Cashel and Cahir seems more like the same kinda towns. And guess what. Tourism plays a BIG role in both towns, but no one commutes to Clonmel/Waterford for the rest of the year just because it's off season. You need to spend a bit more time in those regions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

May not be towns, but the mast beautiful areas of Tipp have to be the Vee and the Glen of Atherlow. Cahir has a beautiful walk around the inch feild and down the woods to the Swiss. A few good pubs too.

Cashel has a good few pubs too.

Clonmel has gotten too dangerous to go out in.

Nenagh, Carrick and Thurles are soulless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Being really honest, most places in Tipperary are kips. That said, I'll defend it to my dying breath.

People laud Cashel, but what does it have exactly? No decent cafés (Arch Lane and the French Quarter in Tipperary Town give any bar Chez Hans / Hans Café a run for their money, and that's really not saying much), hit and miss shopping, a very expensive health food shop, one decent Thai restaurant, the only bookshop just moved to Clonmel and it's overrun with tourists. It's no safer at night than Clonmel, Cahir, Tipperary Town or Carrick (and Carrick is a scumhole). The best thing I can think of in Cashel is the opticians just up from Xtra Vision.

Clonmel is a dive too, the roads there are as bad as anywhere in Tipperary Town or Thurles, it floods regularly, the Showgrounds shopping centre is a joke...

Lets face it, almost every town in Ireland has a very rough element in it, and they're largely teenagers who have nothing else to do but make trouble. The village near where I'm from used to be lovely, but now it's full of scumbags. The roads are in sh!t and the pubs are full of trouble makers, rapists, drug dealers and other similarly charming characters. Funnily enough though, you'll find that everywhere you go.

It's a bit like people writing off Limerick. Parts of Limerick are dodgy, nobody denies it. Might as well give a dog a bad name and hang him, I guess.

Nenagh is a great town...during day light hours. You could not meet nicer and friendlier people than Nenagh folk. But when the sun goes down the lunatics take over the asylum.

Garrykennedy has to be one of the nicest places in Co.Tipp, a picturesque village on the shores of Lough Derg. A hidden gem.

Hard to argue with that, I'd agree 100%

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭tommytoofar

Went to secondary school in Newport. A nice town and the older people seem ok, but found it very clannish, like Thurles, wouldnt expect to make many friends there, just my experience, would like to think that it has changed a bit and there is less of the shaper element and jersey pullers around

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Dubchild

cascade35 wrote: »
    Clonmel is a great town, its got great shops, all the supermarkets, diy stores, restaurants, pubs etc.

It does need a real night club,

its got a few arseholes who tend to give it a bad name but if you are in town to do your shopping or having a night out,i doubt you will come across the scum as they tend to hang out in the lane ways of housing estates and sleep under stones.

I agree with Cascade35, i'm from Thurles and it's cool sometimes but i think Clonmel is a great town. I know some will disagree as we had a topic on clonmel but in all the towns i've lived in which isn't too many i suppose I just loved living in Clonmel.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Simon Adebisi

Roscrea is a thoroughbred kip. Feck all to do apart from drink, the place is full of heroin and has way more than its far share of scumbags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭louthandproud

Pretty sad state of affairs in Tipperary by the sounds of it! Most posters seem to hate most of the towns in Tipperary, must be close to 90% negative responses.

How about all that is good about the Tipp towns? I've had good times in quite a few of them, very friendly for the most part and most have great GAA, Rugby, Football Golf clubs et. they are close to great natural amenities, every town has a least a few good pubs, there are Castles, Rocks, Cottages, Towers, Rivers.......

There are scumbags in every town in Ireland, where I live being perhaps having more than most! I'd say Tipperary towns aren't doing too bad at all on that front. And anyway fcuk them, they don't stop me doing what I do and enjoying myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭JamieK

Quite demoralizing to see pretty much everyone with a terrible opinion of your town! :(

I can guarentee there is a scumbag element wherever there is civilisation in this country so if ye wouldn't mind shutting up...that'd be great! ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement