Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

For sale, wanted and swaps (post here only or your thread will be deleted)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,645 ✭✭✭Milly33

man the joys this car brings

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

You would buy a whole running beetle for €750.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

That would just be buying more trouble.

I was thinking about doing that also buy one for parts but then i have no where to store it or know what I am looking for..Im calling that chap from Bugzbits this weekend so well have a chat..thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭MrFoxman360

I have Jaguar series 3 XJ6, early 80's I think

Nissan 6 cylinder diesel conversion

Rotten as a pear

Breaking for parts or may sell complete

Most parts available

http://www.adverts.ie/2142925

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/3967235

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

Foxman, I was driving from Navan to Nobber last week, passing the place from where you got an old Rover as I recall. One side of the road is cleared,(I wonder if the Opel rekord was saved)
    Anyway the other side of the road still has 5 or 6 cars,
    can you throw any light on the whys and wherefores?

Regards ,Rugbyman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

i am amazed at anybody considering buying a new engine casing/crankcase.
    I bet there are 100 old engines available in this country.

regards Rugbyman

rugbyman wrote: »
    i am amazed at anybody considering buying a new engine casing/crankcase.
    I bet there are 100 old engines available in this country.

regards Rugbyman

Easily!! Ropey beetles are everywhere.

You see my problem is I need someone who will go suss them out for me, someone I can trust been screwed around too many times.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭quattro777

I am looking for a new Hillman Hunter fuel tank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 allana13

Any Merc W123 300TD's for sale ?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

Hi lads

Looking for a right hand rear tail light for a 1990 Volvo 740 saloon, just on the off chance someone here may have one.

Sticking these on here first before they go on DD....

I have a Fiesta MK1 XR2 Interior in grey for sale.
    Complete dash. Twin spoke steering wheel. Clocks with the red trim. Two front seats(shark trim). All door cards and some other misc trim items.
    No back seat though.
    There is a carpet included, not an original XR2 carpet but a very good black standard one.
    €350

Also a Vauxhall Astra MK2 GTE champion black interior, came from a London/Champion edition GTE of which I'm told was one of 250 of a limited run.
    Two Connolly leather fishnet Recaros, in good shape, could probably do with feeding.
    Connolly leather split rear seat
    Connolly leather trimmed door cards
    Rear side panels
    €550

Located in Kerry, PM if interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

I'm selling a 1990 Mercedes 500SEL with a 300 diesel engine fitted if anyone's interested. It's in very good condition, just had two new front wings fitted and the bumpers were painted to freshen it up. I got new brake pipes and new calipers are being fitted at the moment. I can get it NCT tested if it's an issue as all the hard work's done to it. A really lovely car and very well sorted too. I'm asking 4500 euros for it. It's Irish registered too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

I'm selling a 1990 Mercedes 500SEL with a 300 diesel engine fitted if anyone's interested. It's in very good condition, just had two new front wings fitted and the bumpers were painted to freshen it up. I got new brake pipes and new calipers are being fitted at the moment. I can get it NCT tested if it's an issue as all the hard work's done to it. A really lovely car and very well sorted too. I'm asking 4500 euros for it. It's Irish registered too.
    Which engine is fitted in the car? Om617(A), OM603(A) or OM606(A)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

Seweryn wrote: »
    Which engine is fitted in the car? Om617(A), OM603(A) or OM606(A)?

:confused: I don't know to be honest, all I know is it's 6 cylinder and came out of a 1990 300D, hope that helps, i'll try and find out but I bought the car like this already. Here's a picture of it, maybe you can tell from looking at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Lol.. Try 10...:D

SORN rules expected to come in soon might change that number . Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭2cv

me bolly wrote: »

I personally don't see a problem with letting the government know that i have a vehicle that is off the road... Of course this well become an issue for tax dodgers :D

2cv wrote: »
    I personally don't see a problem with letting the government know that i have a vehicle that is off the road... Of course this well become an issue for tax dodgers :D

You will have a problem with it if they charge 50 euro a car for administration fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

:confused: I don't know to be honest, all I know is it's 6 cylinder and came out of a 1990 300D, hope that helps, i'll try and find out but I bought the car like this already. Here's a picture of it, maybe you can tell from looking at it.

That will be a 603 so, good choice, smooth 6 cylinder with no electronics to worry about.

• Advertisement

You will have a problem with it if they charge 50 euro a car for administration fee.

No I won't :D

3 of my cars qualify for classic tax, so i'll just keep them taxed. Then if i have one or two cars off the road, it won't cost me the earth :D

I'm not including the many other cars in my name but not in existence anymore, surely in the 20+ figures...

If 'sorn' is introduced it will have to only apply to cars currently taxed when this is introduced otherwise the system would go into meltdown. Every car no matter if its in existence or not that's not registered as scrapped would have to be accounted for. That's not gonna work.

2cv wrote: »
    No I won't :D

3 of my cars qualify for classic tax, so i'll just keep them taxed. Then if i have one or two cars off the road, it won't cost me the earth :D

Vintage tax?

I'm not including the many other cars in my name but not in existence anymore, surely in the 20+ figures...

If 'sorn' is introduced it will have to only apply to cars currently taxed when this is introduced otherwise the system would go into meltdown. Every car no matter if its in existence or not that's not registered as scrapped would have to be accounted for. That's not gonna work.

Any vehicle registered in your name will be liable to be sorned or a cert of destruction issued to the dept of transport whether it is in a shed or crushed years ago. I reckon there may be an amnesty for those who have old brown books and no car connected to that book. You will probably have to post it in to be voided. Might not be a bad thing to clear up the ringing of cars.
    Will also give them a better picture as to how many cars are actually on the roads. If one is facing a fine and has 10 cars in sheds one will start off loading as the fee to sorn them would be prohibitive unless they are on the cusp of becoming vintage or collectible models.and if they change the rolling 30 tax it's goodnight to hundreds of perfectly viable cars with high cc engines.I believe that the screws will begin to turn on the classics next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭8~)

We'll see. If there is a dramatic change (by that I mean cost) to the classic scene it will impact badly in the longer term. I know that people will give up their classic (old) cars rather than pay additional taxes; vintage rallies for charities or good causes will suffer... basically old cars will be scrapped and therefore remove revenue from fuel, spare parts, maintenance, vintage rallies and whatever else you can think of.

8~) wrote: »
    We'll see. If there is a dramatic change (by that I mean cost) to the classic scene it will impact badly in the longer term. I know that people will give up their classic (old) cars rather than pay additional taxes; vintage rallies for charities or good causes will suffer... basically old cars will be scrapped and therefore remove revenue from fuel, spare parts, maintenance, vintage rallies and whatever else you can think of.

Agreed . The government doesn't give two figs about classic cars in fact they are a liability given the EU pending fines if our carbon emissions aren't lowered.
    Once a sorn fee is introduced the government can double it or triple it on a whim as they did with the vrt(x4)
    The EPA are also pushing to get cars sitting in fields and sheds dumped due to pollutants.SIMI want to see Joe Bloggs get into a new car rather than the Capri 280 he has years for to fall under the vintage tax bracket .

• Registered Users Posts: 22,142 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ You are doing a fair bit of scaremongering on the SORN issue. Where has it been said (i) that there will be a fee and (ii) that classics are in the firing line?

The number of vintage/classic cars in use (even occasionally) is miniscule compared to the total car pool.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    ^ You are doing a fair bit of scaremongering on the SORN issue. Where has it been said (i) that there will be a fee and (ii) that classics are in the firing line?

The number of vintage/classic cars in use (even occasionally) is miniscule compared to the total car pool.

All cars not being used that have not being taxed will be required to be sorned regardless of their taxation category.
    Naieve to think a fee won't be applied .
    Changes are on the way , in what manner they will be applied can only be surmised by past actions of the dept of Transport.

Vintage tax?

Vintage tax... classic tax.... cheap tax.... call it whatever you like.. it's still only €52 a year :D:D:D

• Advertisement

Esel wrote: »

Agreed.... Lads, don't forget that most rules here are a copy of the UK laws... and SORN is still free in the UK.

Advertisement