Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Royal Irish Regiment

• 03-09-2009 10:39pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭a-k-47

Hi, newbie on the military forum so be easy one me ;). I was interested in joining the irish army a few years ago but i was to old to, im 28. Ive always had an interest in doing something different and exciting as a career path but never got around to doing it, ended going to college studying for a job i never liked, then went and got myself a trade and now its all gone pete tong again :(.

The irish army states you must be under 25, ive logged onto the rir website and cannot find anything about age restrictions. Am i to old to recruit?. I find it abit ridiculous at still a relatively young age that i cannot join the forces. If anyone is reading this irish or brittish and in the Royal Irish Regiment, id love to hear some feedback if i am eligible for recruitment, can you tell me a little bit about the training programme involved in northern ireland and are irish citizens welcomed in the regiment. How do you gain entry, exams? entry exams? education level?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭DanHendrix

I applied myself no problem with age though as im only 18:D . Im from Dublin and theres no problem with your age or that your Irish,it is 33 and under in the British Army. As regards to entry exams etc, you will be required to complete a BARB Test(British Army Recruit Battery). It is basically a bit of every thing like English tests to logical tests. If you pass this you will be required to complete a fitness test. Run 1 and a half(2.4km) in 12mins and 45secs. And this also requires more fitness activitys over a two day period. If you pass all this your are given a date for training and you do 6months infrantry training at Catterick traning camp in Yorkshire. If you want to become an officer you do training at Sandhurst but you have to be highly educated for this. The royal irish regiment or and the Irish Guards cant be based in the north as the IRA and various parties and people would not like it too much and it would cause mayhem. Hope this helps any more questions feel free to ask. Your better of going on the Brit Army website. MOD.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Best I say nothing .... best of luck with that :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭a-k-47

DanHendrix wrote: »
    I applied myself no problem with age though as im only 18:D . Im from Dublin and theres no problem with your age or that your Irish,it is 33 and under in the British Army. As regards to entry exams etc, you will be required to complete a BARB Test(British Army Recruit Battery). It is basically a bit of every thing like English tests to logical tests. If you pass this you will be required to complete a fitness test. Run 1 and a half(2.4km) in 12mins and 45secs. And this also requires more fitness activitys over a two day period. If you pass all this your are given a date for training and you do 6months infrantry training at Catterick traning camp in Yorkshire. If you want to become an officer you do training at Sandhurst but you have to be highly educated for this. The royal irish regiment or and the Irish Guards cant be based in the north as the IRA and various parties and people would not like it too much and it would cause mayhem. Hope this helps any more questions feel free to ask. Your better of going on the Brit Army website. MOD.co.uk

Thanks for the reply, best off not based in N.I. considering the history. Have you done the barb test?. How difficult are the english tests and logical tests? are there pre exam test. thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭DanHendrix

If you ring an Army Careers Test Centre in Northern Ireland tell them your looking to join and they will send you out application forms in the post and send you out a booklet of the BARB test. Its basically the exact same as the test it is so easy. It depends were your living if your living the in the north your best visiting a centre.:)

when are doing the barb test?.. let me know how you get on.. thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ Marina Tangy Poetess

DanHendrix wrote: »

Is this like a definite "rule"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 goose2002

The royal irish regiment or and the Irish Guards cant be based in the north

Members of both regiments can and have been posted to duties in Northern Ireland. In fact the Royal Irish TA are based in Northern Ireland, in Palace Barracks. The regular battalion is based in England though, but no reason why they couldn't be based over here as far as I know.

goose2002 wrote: »
    Members of both regiments can and have been posted to duties in Northern Ireland. In fact the Royal Irish TA are based in Northern Ireland, in Palace Barracks. The regular battalion is based in England though, but no reason why they couldn't be based over here as far as I know.

True and as far as i know, southern irish have served in N.I also. Think id rather go to afghanistan!.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 drac 3969

yes southren irish lads with 1 rir did serve in the north but as of 2005 members of 1 rir dont serve in northren ireland anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 5 drac 3969

Think id rather go to afghanistan!.[/quote] youll change your mind with you get there my friend trust me on the have three tours done there i see your thinking of joining let me know how you get on and best of luck with basic..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 irlinvader

hey all , I am 29 yrs old and just applied for the rir , i was told i would get a application form in the post within the next two weeks. my question how long does it normanly take once i send this off to hear back. Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭HellsAngel

irlinvader wrote: »
    hey all , I am 29 yrs old and just applied for the rir , i was told i would get a application form in the post within the next two weeks. my question how long does it normanly take once i send this off to hear back. Cheers
    You didn't think of lifting the phone and asking the RIR recruitment office themselves ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 irlinvader

as the title says .......
    well considering its Saturday and no one is working today , i would of picked up the phone , but instead i thought id ask some people who actually know , and seen as YOU DON'T well then less of the smart answer's !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

well considering its Saturday and no one is working today , i would of picked up the phone , but instead i thought id ask some people who actually know , and seen as YOU DON'T well then less of the smart answer's !!!!
    Well said that man. Still can't understand why they hop off newer posters, the lifeblood of any forum;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I thought you could do the whole thing online?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭HellsAngel

How do you know it's closed on a Saturday ?? And did it not occur to you that you might have someone on boards.ie who might just give you misinformation ?

If I was thinking of say, applying for a job with Intel, if I had questions I'd think it best to inquire of Intel themselves rather than a BSer on boards.ie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

Wouldn't bother me hole with the RIR if I was you. Outstanding regiment, no doubt about it. But if your going to join the British infantry you might aswell join p company or the royal marines. Infantry are trade-less positions (so to speak) I remember when I was in training, my section cpl was in the royal welsh fussaliers and he always said if he could go back, he'd still join up, but he'd have gone engineers/artillery/armoured etc something to get a full trade in. And I have to agree it does make sense. Unless your goal is to enter private security and what have you, then infantry training is all your going to need anyway.

Just a bit of advice, while you still have the time, consider the other regiments you have access to, not just because your Irish and it seems to make sense to join the most paddy regiment,believe me we're all over the place when you get there. Armoured are a great choice, apart from getting a full H class driving license within the first 6 months, you get to play with some expensive toys and travel around(Canada and Germany for QRH) in a very short period of time.

Just read around a bit more and think it all the way through. Cat is a ****in hell hole at the best of times and I was based there. I'd hate to be a new sheep heading in to do training there and all!

And best of luck with everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

Really depends on how busy they are but also on how much of a rush they are in. I know for me it was very paced. Every week we were moving forward, from meeting to barb to selection and so on. From the finishing selection I think it was 3 weeks later :) zoom zoom! Looms to be a bit of a recruitment drive again going from the increase in tv and media advertising. Could be quick :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 motivated1

Hello,
    i have an interest in the RIR, but i would love to hear from people that have experienced it or are currently serving. I know there are a lot of people from the North in it, so I was just wondering (im from republic) is there much hassle between North and South there? Do many people from Ireland "turn their backs" if they see you are serving with the RIR?

Other than that is it the right way to go? I am young,fit,motivated and relish the opportunity for a military career and overseas experience. Can anyone shed some light on this particular career and any other useful information?

Thanks a million ! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

Everyone I ever knew who served in the BA or people commenting here or on TV documentaries or in articles or books said there is no hassle between Northerners or Southerners or the English, Scots or Welsh for that matter.

As for people 'turning their backs' they still exist but there a just the usual minority and mostly safely ignored.

So go for it if you wish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

motivated1 wrote: »
    ...Other than that is it the right way to go?...

big picture? no. without particularly wishing to offend anyone, Infantry is, for 99.99% of Infanteers, a dead-end. i'm sure its all great fun when you're 19, but getting a bit tiring when you're 29, and when you're 35 you'll be thinking 'what the fcuk am i going to do when i leave?'.

little picture? also, probably, no. if Infantry is really what you want to do, then join an infantry unit that will give you other options - the obvious one being the Royal Marines: you'd be 'top class' infantry, and then you'd have the opportunity to try other things as you get a bit older and want a new, and commercially useful, skill. the Rifles, as an alternative, would give you the ability to move between Light role infantry, Commando role infantry, and Armoured role infantry for when your legs get a bit tired.

the RIR is the only single Bn regiment left in the BA outside of the Guards. the betting on it remaining after the next defence review is zero... heed the words of the bookies, as only a fool bets against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Kinza

Wouldn't bother me hole with the RIR if I was you. Outstanding regiment, no doubt about it. But if your going to join the British infantry you might aswell join p company or the royal marines.....

Are you sure you have served in the British Army? As far as I am aware you don't "join" P Company, it is a course you take from your current regiment to make you Para qualified. Unless of course you meant join the Parachute Regiment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

bluecode wrote: »
    Everyone I ever knew who served in the BA or people commenting here or on TV documentaries or in articles or books said there is no hassle between Northerners or Southerners or the English, Scots or Welsh for that matter.

Patrick Bury (Officer who served in 1RIR) wrote a brilliant book called "Callsign Hades", one of the things he mentioned which stuck with me and I found very impressive was that he said it's one of the very few places in the world the Tricolor can hang beside the Union Jack / Red Hand and a damn isn't given. An excellent read for anyone who wants to serve in 1RIR, albeit from an Officer's point of view.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 159 ✭✭whitelines

RMD wrote: »
    Patrick Bury (Officer who served in 1RIR) wrote a brilliant book called "Callsign Hades", one of the things he mentioned which stuck with me and I found very impressive was that he said it's one of the very few places in the world the Tricolor can hang beside the Union Jack / Red Hand and a damn isn't given. An excellent read for anyone who wants to serve in 1RIR, albeit from an Officer's point of view.

The 'Red Hand' can't fly at all in Afghanistan, apparently...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

RMD wrote: »

I have just finished the book, it really is an excellent read.

He also mentions the fact that troops from the north had a huge amount of respect for those who had joined from the south, something to do with the fact they go into the BA and no one at home knows they are in for fear of reprisals etc.

do many irish join the marines? Ive heard it doesnt really matter where your from if you try to join them, it looks tough as hell, but something i would definately love to do, the training looks like torture but it appeals to me at the same the time as well as the reward at the end,it would definately be worth it. Infantry is what I would like.

I got a reply earlier about the royal irish regiment, they said that it looks like they wont be around after the next budget or something ?
    The RIR looks amazing as well, something I would definately love to do,as well as the marines.
    i dont know which to choose from,thanks for replying earlier, just looking for the better option really.

...just looking for the better option really.

personally, i think the RM are the most professional infantry based force that i've ever worked with - if i had my time again and wanted an Infantry based career, they are without question the numbers 1, 2 and 3 on my list.

its not just the quality, but for the individual its the range of specializations available - everything from boat handling with the Assault Sqn and the LCP/LCT's, to aircraft handling, crewing and piloting with the Brigade Air Squadron, to the SBS, or Mountain Leader Training Cadre, or the Commando Logistic Regiment or Signals/Int work with 30 Cdo IEG.

i would really, really recommend that you take a closer, harder look at what they have to offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

do many irish join the marines? Ive heard it doesnt really matter where your from if you try to join them,

I've met quite a few Irish lads in the Royal Marines, from the north, who play GAA in England. Didn't expect to hear that from them when they told me!

tac foley wrote: »
    ... the RM are either at Lympstone or Poole....or deployed...

slight correction - 40 Cdo are at RMB Chivenor in north Devon, 42 Cdo are at Plymouth, 43 (Fleet Protection) Cdo are at Faslane, 45 Cdo are at Arbroath, the odds and sods are at Poole and the Training Units are at Lymptone.

40 particularly have a big surfing pedigree - and their BBQ's and beach parties are legendary, 45 are the mountain goats, 42 are the six fingered banjo players, and 43 glow in the dark. 30 are all perverts because they listen to other peoples conversations.

and steal underwear from washinglines.

• Advertisement

is it possible to serve a few years in the RIR and then if i was to take the notion apply for the marines?
    i'd really love to experience both.
    thanks again everyone for all the feedback much appreciated.

Advertisement