Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fruitfield & Lambs

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Bean123

I will visit Newbridge House in the coming weeks and will come back to you on this subject.

collector wrote: »
    i was in newbridge house yesterday and there was labels with the ginger jars on them which was a supprise to me,i would,nt say they were used just for fruitfield alone though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 emerald girl

DLAMB wrote: »
    Hi Scribbler I am a Lamb grandson and I enclose a picture of my Grandad in the early days of Lambs Bros (Gilbert Courtney Lamb) he was the scientist and a brother of Wilfreds. My farther Richard Lamb has a number of old labels and pictures, I am sure he would have no problem showing them to you and having a chat. Contact me if you are interested - I look forward to hearing more about your project.
    Kind regards

Hi DLAMB,

It would appear we are realated as I am a great granchild lamb :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 emerald girl

Hi DLAMB,

It would appear we are realated as I am a great granchild lamb :)

Joy Lamb was my Granny, who was Harold Lambs daughter. She owned the land up in Rathfarnham that the fruit was picked on for about 30-40 years I'd say.

I ran around that place for 10 years, best days of my life and also down in Wexford where the lambs owed too. This might be where the other fruit was picked from.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭The Scawgeen

Derryglad Folk Museum Curraghboy Athlone is run by the Finneran family, you can find the phone number online. They may have some of the items you're looking for. It's about 6 years ago since I was there and they had no problem with photographs being taken. Good luck with your work.

Scawgeen

www.derrygladfolkmuseum.com

Just added this link there seems to be some photographs on the site you may see jars, just a long shot. A quick phonecall and you'll know for sure.

Hi.

I worked with Harold Lamb and your great uncles, Douglas, Edmond and Charles and met Joy a few times.

Have you any pictures of the farms or factory in your family archive?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 smarie

DLAMB wrote: »
    Hi Scribbler I am a Lamb grandson and I enclose a picture of my Grandad in the early days of Lambs Bros (Gilbert Courtney Lamb) he was the scientist and a brother of Wilfreds. My farther Richard Lamb has a number of old labels and pictures, I am sure he would have no problem showing them to you and having a chat. Contact me if you are interested - I look forward to hearing more about your project.
    Kind regards
    Hi DLAMB was looking for photos of the old days of your dads company my mam worked there in the sixties she has some of the girls sitting outside the factory you could show your dad thanks smarie:)

Hi Smarie,

My mother also worked there at that time - would love to see the pics as I might know some as well as I was there from 1973 to 1980.

Look forward to hearing from you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Great thread. Did Lambs sell the business directly to Nestle? Or was there an owner in between? I seem to remember hearing Butterly Green at one time had a share in Fruitfield.

My mother remembered a lady who worked on the Lambs Donabate Fruit farm who lived in Rush. The lady in question would use the railway bridge of the Dublin-Belfast line to get across Rogerstown Estuary to and from work. But she had a mortal fear that the railway bridge would break under her added weight that she would cross it slowly on her hands and knees everytime:D

Hi Cardinal

I assume you mean "Butterly's" of Artane. Never heard of them having a share but in the last 5 years Lamb's did subcontract Butterly's to can their strawberries for them.

The business was sold direct to Nestle (Williams & Woods in Tallaght)

Bean123 wrote: »
    Hi Cardinal

I assume you mean "Butterly's" of Artane. Never heard of them having a share but in the last 5 years Lamb's did subcontract Butterly's to can their strawberries for them.

The business was sold direct to Nestle (Williams & Woods in Tallaght)

Same people, there actually from Rush not Artaine. Didn't Nestle sell the business on? To Jacobs Fruitfield which then sub contracted manufacture to the UK?

• Advertisement

Yes their from Rush but their Jam and Canning Factory (Scotts) was in Artaine - Stardust Site.

Nestle sold the brand in a management buy in to Fruitfield - that company later took over jacobs to become Jacob Fruitfield who in turn sold the business last year to Batchelors (valeo Foods).

Old Time Irish marmalade is now made I believe in Portugal and the james in the UK.

Yes their from Rush but their Jam and Canning Factory (Scotts) was in Artaine - Stardust Site.

Nestle sold the brand in a management buy in to Fruitfield - that company later took over jacobs to become Jacob Fruitfield who in turn sold the business last year to Batchelors (valeo Foods).

Old Time Irish marmalade is now made I believe in Portugal and the james in the UK.

Premier Foods Histon. Quite sad that Jacobs Fruitfield under Irish management subcontracted nearly every Irish product they had abroad before selling the brands on.

Yes, Premier Foods who also manufacture Chivers jam's amd marmalades, Chivers was sold a few weeks ago to Boyne Valley Honey.

Jacob's Fruitfield has no option but to transfer production overseas as they no longer had cheap raw materials - No sugar refined in Ireland anymore - No glass jar production in Ireland - its fruit supply was gone - all blackcurrants grown in Ireland are sold to Ribina!!!

The transfer of production also meant that "Golden Shred" marmalade was no longer sold in Ireland by Premier as it would have effected the sales of Old Time Irish.

If you look at Dublin.ie you will get more threads on lamb's Jam Factory

http://www.dublin.ie/forums/forumdisplay.php?62-Drimnagh-Inchicore/page2&order=desc

Also look under Ballyfermot

http://www.dublin.ie/forums/showthread.php?11023-Lamb-s-Jam-factory-Bluebell

Over 30,000 hits between them!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Wasnt there a Scotts farm in Nth Dublin near Balgriffen?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 catljDouglas

I used to work for Lamb Bros (Dublin) ltd and know about their cousins factory in Richill Co Armagh as well as their three fruitfarms in Barley Hill and Fonstown Co Kildare and Beaverstown Co Dublin.

There are at least 3 of the founders grandchildren still alive

Contact me if interested

I've found this forum as I've found photos in my grandmother's family archive of members of the Lamb family. Which means it sounds like I'm related to Emerald Girl and the three grandchildren of the Lamb Brothers. My grandfather Kenneth Douglas was a Quaker as well, although I never knew him. His parents were Annie Douglas (Chapman) and Sinton Douglas and I have a few photos of them when they were older as well as one when they were young.

I'll send you a private message, cheers.
    Cat Douglas

• Registered Users Posts: 1 edenlamb

hi, don't know if this will be any help but i am Charles Benjamin Lamb (founder of Lambs jam) great grandchild and have been doing a lot of research into my families history. Let me know if i can be any help!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭eskerman

Very interesting thread and topic - I'm originally from Churchtown and Lamb Brothers owned all the land where Nugrove Shopping Centre is and as far as I can remember it was called Fruitfield - I remember picking fruit there when I was young - wonder if there are any others that remember this place and are there any photos of Nutgrove Avenue or Churchtown from that period

I went to De La Salle brothers in Nutgrove and Hughes Brothers dairy was directly opposite the school - in those days milk was delivered by horse and cart and then the battery operated milk floats

I'm now feeling quite nostalgic and some old photos or contacts from that time would be very nice

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 1 alicmcg

cecy wrote: »
    hello - by sheer coincidence i've just started gathering information about the fruit growers / pickers in north Meath/Cavan who supplied Lamb Brothers in the fifties and sixties and even later in some cases. I haven't got a lot as yet but would be very interested in staying in touch.

Hi Cecy
    i just stumbled across this thread its would be of huge interest to me if you had any information of fruit suppliers to the lamb bros, my Grandparents were one of these suppliers in meath, we spent every summer picking fruit as kids and they employed many locals too. i know it has been quiet a while since this thread was posted i really hope someone replies.
    thank you :-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement