Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Eircom Outage & DNS errors- 2nd September Only place to post

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

If this is still true.....
    my eircom phone line and braodband has been out since the 3rd. has anyone any idea how to fix it?

Then this change will only make a difference when your line is fixed and braodband is working again......
    what happens if i change to open DNS?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

my eircom phone line and braodband has been out since the 3rd. has anyone any idea how to fix it?
    up until a couple of weeks ago, my sarcastic answer would have been "eircom, if you ring them" but after the last few weeks, i'd have to say i have no idea what they're at.

if your modem is syncing up but you just can't load web pages then switching to openDNS might do the trick for you.

the quickest test would be to put the IP address of boards.ie into the address bar of your browser to test it.

(Quick DNS lesson in case anyone is wondering, feel free to skip it if you're not interested)

in the simplest terms, computers understand numbers a lot better than words, which is the opposite way to how humans are wired so DNS servers are like the 11811 of the internet and match the names we understand with the numbers that computers understand.

you tell your computer to look for www.boards.ie and it asks the DNS server that it's been told to use (either by your ISP or by you if you've set it to use openDNS) what the IP address of www.boards.ie is and the answer it should get is 89.234.66.107 at which point it goes to that address, find the site and loads it in your browser.

just like 11811 you can use another DNS server on your internet connection, you aren't stuck with using your ISP's DNS servers.

every time you give your browser a WWW address that's (very) basically what happens.

if that works then you have a DNS issue and changing to openDNS or another DNS provider other than your ISP should fix it.

i reckon it's been at least 4 or 5 years since I used my ISP's DNS servers and I've never looked back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭wheels of ire

Still stuck with Eircon, I notice tonight that pages are taking age to open.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

Its been very slow today. I tested on the Speedtest.net and my 3MB was almost operating at a 1MB. The upload was ok but the download was down 70%.:mad:

Eircom have to make promises to their customers that they will always strive to provide a service that is transparent and unlike other bait and switch services, Eircoms service will not under perform the rate you pay for.

I find myself doubtful of Eircom or any company that is not making these promises and earning customer loyalty by transparency. Eircom is or at least was better than perlico.

I wonder if Eircoms are going the way of perlico with their new 7.5mb is merely the 3mb in disguise and the 3mb has been knocked down to the 2MB all of which operate depending on volume of traffic. So that your paying 80 euros a month to get 3mb on a high volume time when you should be getting 7.5mb.

it's definitely more than just eircom.

in work now and we're getting reports from all over of intermittent connectivity issues globally on various sites in and outside of Ireland via connections everywhere from the US to Bulgaria, the UK and probably elsewhere as well.

yes, eircom may well be particularly fooked, but they're not the only ones. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

My broadband at home is STILL not working... can't get an IP from Eircon. It's been that way since about 1am on Friday morning. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 timefortea

The only way to fix this is by dropping your line speed or getting a new phone line in your building. But that may not even fix your problem because of the phone line quality outside your building. The problem is the actual phone lines themselves. They're just so old and tattered that they can't handle the demand of the extra bandwidth.
    I play COD4 myself (but I'm with UPC (20meg)) and ping between 50 and 70 depending on how busy the server is. I have no problems playing with a ping like that but that's simply because the broadband cable can handle these speeds whereas 50 to 70 ping on a xDSL line would be near torture. It's unfortunate eircom didn't have serious competition in the market when broadband began to get popular in this country. If they had competition I can almost guarantee they would have improved their infrastructure. Even now with all these other companies supplying xDSL eircom don't bother upgrading their lines. Why? Simple answer. Why should they? They're still getting their €20+ a week line rental even if a person doesn't use eircom as their ISP. Other xDSL suppliers quality of service depends greatly on eircoms lines. It's a joke of a system.

This is sheer nonsense - worked for tech support for years before I got out. The Interleaving on the 7Mb package is set to High automatically.
    This has inbuilt error correction which makes the line more stable but unfortunately introducing latency and increases ping times ie useless for Gamers.
    Change your package from 7.6 to the 'Gaming' package Advanced it's called. Slightly lower download speed at 7Mb but interleaving is low on the upstream so your ping times are lower.

Dord wrote: »
    My broadband at home is STILL not working... can't get an IP from Eircon. It's been that way since about 1am on Friday morning. :(
    possibly a silly question, but did you call them?

Yeah, they said that they'd send someone to the exchange today to have a look at it. Mostly they just blamed my router on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭dMaN24

Stupid question:
    I'm on UPC atm, but seeing that the previous Eircom-dns issues also affected UPC, i wonder if there's anything i can do?

I'm running on open dns (and switched from Firefox to IE, with a minimal improvement)
    Sorry if this is placed wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

dMaN24 wrote: »
    I'm on UPC atm, but seeing that the previous Eircom-dns issues also affected UPC, i wonder if there's anything i can do?

What do you need to do? An eircom DNS issue cannot effect UPC. UPCs outage was either unrelated, or else eircom's wasn't internal to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 timefortea

jor el wrote: »
    What do you need to do? An eircom DNS issue cannot effect UPC. UPCs outage was either unrelated, or else eircom's wasn't internal to them.

yeah can't see how it would be related. They are on a completely different Network to everyone else aren't they?
    I'd give UPC a call if I was you... On Magnet meself not a bother

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

I have Eircons 7Mb package and I'm getting pings of over 800ms and download speed of 2Mb at besst from speedtest.net

Absolutely frustrating company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

my initial contract is up with eircom so i have decided to switch as since this latest issue began i have no phone line between 1pm and 6pm every day as well as the continous outages and blocking of sites like the parate bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

please excuse my question at this time but is Always on for sport still operating?thanks

foggy_lad wrote: »
    my initial contract is up with eircom so i have decided to switch as since this latest issue began i have no phone line between 1pm and 6pm every day as well as the continous outages and blocking of sites like the parate bay.

I only wish I could get out of my contract.

I know this thing of "up to" 7Mb**** nonsense they cover their arses with. And I can understand you can't expect to get 7Mb consistently with contention.

But, surely if they are supplying you a sub par connection with extremely bad pings and speedtests showing you're getting nowhere near what you're paying for, then you should have a case for getting out of a contract.

I can understand getting 5Mb or 6 Mb when you're on a 7Mb package. But to be getting barely 2Mb a lot of the time with rubbish pings, it's well below what I'm paying for.

I think it's purely down to contention that I'm only getting 2Mb and bad pings. Because I can get 6Mb on some occassions.

Does anybody know the rules on broadband for minimum quality/speed guarantee?

I think if they quote the "up to" speed in their sales pitch, they should also be forced to mention the minimum speed they can guarantee you at maximum contention.

Has anybody talked to their solicitor about a situation similar to this? Any threads about it?

PS. Sorry for derailing the thread. This has nothing to do with DNS issues. But the rant just seemed to fit in here. Maybe I should start a new thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

there are no set guidelines afaik but if you fight them in the small claims court it will most likely be seen as reasonable to expect speeds above 2mb on a 7.6mb service. they told me my contract is up in october so i assume it is 6months as i signed up at the start of april.

unfortunately, since we have a toothless, blind, deaf, mute, lethargic slug for a communications regulator you've about as much hope of getting it sorted legally as you have by whistling dixie.

chances are you're either too far from your exchange, or just on a bad line.

unless you can convince them to go through every test possible to find a fix (good luck with that) and/or send out an engineer to check everything over in the vain hope that he can find something (if he can't then they'll charge you for the pleasure) wrong that they can fix, the best you can hope for is to downgrade to 2mbps and keep your fingers crossed that you can maintain that.

unfortunately, they'll probably just tell you how lucky you are to be blessed with 2mbps and tell you to deal with it.

vibe666 wrote: »
    unfortunately, since we have a toothless, blind, deaf, mute, lethargic slug for a communications regulator you've about as much hope of getting it sorted legally as you have by whistling dixie.

chances are you're either too far from your exchange, or just on a bad line.

unless you can convince them to go through every test possible to find a fix (good luck with that) and/or send out an engineer to check everything over in the vain hope that he can find something (if he can't then they'll charge you for the pleasure) wrong that they can fix, the best you can hope for is to downgrade to 2mbps and keep your fingers crossed that you can maintain that.

unfortunately, they'll probably just tell you how lucky you are to be blessed with 2mbps and tell you to deal with it.

:(

Never again will I move to a new place without guaranteeing I can get a good broadband provider. Stuck here til next June.

But straight out to Sandyford at the end of the lease and onto UPC or Magnet. I think Magnet have contention of 1:1?

I still have no broadband access at home. :(

Poxy Eircom! :mad:

• Advertisement

Dord wrote: »
    I still have no broadband access at home. :(

Poxy Eircom! :mad:

Do you have your phone line back working for voice calls yet?

ttm wrote: »
    Do you have your phone line back working for voice calls yet?

Yeah, that was only gone a few hours. According to the guy I spoke to the other day, it's attempting to connect and actually did for 4 minutes but then dropped. I think some sync issues or something like that. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭seven-iron

hi, i opened the dns with those two codes 10 days ago but now i cant log into my ps3 account or my own laptop but the broadband on the desktop (what I'm on now) is working fine.

is this a wireless issue? please help

seven-iron wrote: »
    hi, i opened the dns with those two codes 10 days ago but now i cant log into my ps3 account or my own laptop but the broadband on the desktop (what I'm on now) is working fine.

is this a wireless issue? please help

Yep sounds wireless related, try rebooting the wireless router first.

thanks for the reply.

well what i did was change the dns codes back to their original. ie 0.0.0.0.

then i changed them back to open dns. laptop and ps3 are still not coonected to the net.

do i need to restart the router?

thanks for the reply.

well what i did was change the dns codes back to their original. ie 0.0.0.0.

then i changed them back to open dns. laptop and ps3 are still not coonected to the net.

do i need to restart the router?

Just to check this is an Eircom Netopia router?

If the problem is DNS related and not a Wireless issue then you should still be able to connect to the routers web interface from one of the Wireless connected devices.

But I'd still reboot the router anyway.

yeah eircom,
    i rebooted it anyway. turned on and off laptop and desktop. still no luck.
    any other ideas?

yeah eircom,
    i rebooted it anyway. turned on and off laptop and desktop. still no luck.
    any other ideas?

OK so you can connect to the internet using the router but only with a wired ethernet connection.

Now we need to know if you can connect to the Router (just the managment interface not the internet) via the Wireless connection on the router?

yeah i think i can,
    it says limited connectivity? but nothing loads up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Calebmcd

I think its happened again, back to open dns. This time i'm putting them in my modem and leaving that way!

Advertisement