Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

draught beers on tap - available in Ireland

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Wigs

I tried Harps last weekend in St. Louis. I think I can tolerate that. Took sips of Guiness and Smithwicks. Pretty bad>>>>>

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Miller - one of the worst beers going IMO

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Wigs wrote: »
    I tried Harps last weekend in St. Louis. I think I can tolerate that. Took sips of Guiness and Smithwicks. Pretty bad
    There are two dozen beer companies in Ireland. You've tasted beer from one of them. With respect, you're not in a position to say if you like Irish beer or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

I tried Harps last weekend in St. Louis. I think I can tolerate that. Took sips of Guiness and Smithwicks. Pretty bad>>>>>

What is it you like about Miller?
    As Beernut mentioned its available over here, its not available on draught in every pub anymore as it dosn't sell very well but they'll have bottles.
    If not I guess you can have a WKD ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Heroditas

BeerNut wrote: »
    I tried Harps last weekend in St. Louis. I think I can tolerate that. Took sips of Guiness and Smithwicks. Pretty bad
    There are two dozen beer companies in Ireland. You've tasted beer from one of them. With respect, you're not in a position to say if you like Irish beer or not.

It's a bit like saying "I tried Budweiser. Didn't like it so, as a result, don't like any American beers"

• Advertisement

I'm just a plain jane beer drinker. Your beer is way to strong for me.

Over here, Miller has a sweet taste to it. Have no clue what it taste like by you guys. On that note, Give me some beers that arent to heavy and have a sweet taste to it.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Miller, Heineken, Carlsberg, Budweiser and in certain places like Corrs, Stella and Fosters are all widely available in draught and bottle form.

The more rural you are the cheaper they will generally be, if in Dublin plan ahead where your drinking if you dont want to be priced out and stay away from Temple Bar unless you are loaded.

As for the lagers a cold Miller or Heineken can hit the spot. I find alot of the rest I've named to be very hard to stomach and just plain not nice. Each to their own though.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Wouldnt be a Harp man myself each to their own. On another note I think you will never really know a drink from sipping at it.

I sipped Guinness years ago, and most people say the same the first 3 or 4 pints of Guiness you nearly need to just drink down. Then your set for life with the acquired taste. Its strange but just my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,063 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

You will also find it pretty hard to find Harp anywhere, i dont know of any pub in Galway city where you can get it now. OP just stick to the likely lads of Bud, Miller, Coors etc. Peroni is in some pubs and probably suits your taste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭theblueirish

Has no one mentioned Tennants? Thought it was available in lost pubs.
    Have seen Staropramen in a few bars too. Good pint in my opinion.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Over here, Miller has a sweet taste to it. Have no clue what it taste like by you guys. On that note, Give me some beers that arent to heavy and have a sweet taste to it.

Creans lager, helvic gold, checkpoint Charlie, porterhouse chiller / temple brau, belfast blond, cathedral quarter, brew eyed blond would probably be the most likely contenders (maybe howling gale or Galway hooker but these are a bit heavier and less sweet) There are a dozen or so light ales which you might not like to start with but which might grow on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,863 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Henikien is mediocre at best, the hell with that....

But they sponsor the rugger loike....

Wow- Great responses to my boring beer drinking. I'm from Wisconsin and I support Miller Beer wich is brewed in Milwaukee, Wi. Also- We will be touring Northern Ireland....

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Wow- Great responses to my boring beer drinking. I'm from Wisconsin and I support Miller Beer wich is brewed in Milwaukee, Wi. Also- We will be touring Northern Ireland....

From Northern Ireland:
    Belfast Blond, Cathedral Quarter etc from Hilden and Belfast Lager from Whitewater would probably suit you.

If you like sweet drinks, maybe Macs Armagh Cider.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

So is there any recommendation for a widely available lager that isn't 'yellow piss'?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Depends on what you regard as widely available. That you can walk into any random pub and find: no. Budvar probably scores highest on my non-piss availability scale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Staropramen can be very good on tap, and very bad.

Becks Vier is the same, I've had great pints and really bad pints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bensweeney

Pints of Grolsch could be the answer. I have seen it in a few pubs in Galway

Advertisement