Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If Lynch had invaded

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭DublinDes

Can you post a link to show the Irish amy sections were armed with the Carl Gustav 84mmrecoilless rifle ? You also fail to understand the British had light and heavy armour, helicopters, jets etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulster_Special_Constabulary

You cant compare the Bs with the guards, they were a paramilitary force, you seriously think 2,000 poorly trained and equipped Irish army infantry with no armour or air support would have a had a hope ? British infantry were battle harded from various conflicts.
    Weaponry

Most specials were armed with a Webley .38 revolver but in some cases this was augmented by a Lee Enfield .303 rifle or, in the 1960s Sten Guns which were later replaced by Sterling submachine guns. In most cases these weapons were retained at home by the constables along with a quantity of ammunition. One of the reasons for this was to enable rapid call out of platoons without the need to issue arms from a central armoury. In the days before each home had a telephone a single call for assistance to the local RUC station or USC commander would result in a runner knocking the door of each special's home in a given area and informing him of the incident. Thus a rapid reaction force could be assembled quite quickly. This practice was retained for many years by some Ulster Defence Regiment units in the border areas.I][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed"]citation needed[/URL][/I

URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Ulster_Special_Constabulary&action=edit&section=10"]edit[/URL Equipment

"A Special" Platoons were fully mobile using a Ford car for the officer in charge, two armoured cars and four Crossley Tenders (one for each of the sections).
    B Specials generally deployed on foot but could be supplied with vehicles from the RUC pool.

of 32,000 men divided into four sections, all of which were armed:
    • A Specials - full-time and paid, worked alongside regular RIC men, but could not be posted outside their home areas (regular RIC officers could be posted anywhere in the country); usually served at static checkpoints. (originally 5,500 members)[35]
    • B Specials - part-time, usually on duty for one evening per week and serving under their own command structure, and unpaid, although they had a generous system of allowances (which were reduced following the reorganisation of the USC a few years later), served wherever the RIC served and manned Mobile Groups of platoon size.[36]);I][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Dead_external_links"]dead link[/URL][/I (originally 19,000 members)[37] and
    • C Specials - unpaid, non-uniformed reservists, usually rather elderly and used for static guard duties near their homes. (originally 7,500 members)[38]
    • C1 Specials - non active C class specials who could be called out in emergencies.
    " Can you post a link to show the Irish amy sections were armed with the Carl Gustav 84mmrecoilless rifle ? " Here it is from the Sunday Business post, half way down.
    http://www.thepost.ie/agenda/imagining-irelands-war-that-never-was-44041.html

" You also fail to understand the British had light and heavy armour, helicopters, jets etc. " Never doubted the brits were had more heavy armour, helicopters etc ( though the mighty british army is short on this stuff out in Afghanistan at the moment and has to ask the Yanks to help them )

" You cant compare the Bs with the guards " I NEVER compared those secterian Paisleyite bigots to the Guards, no, they were comparable to the FCA :) - a bunch of part timers with a few weeks of training.

" of 32,000 men divided into four sections, all of which were armed: " Yeah but that was back in the early 1920's not 1969, as well you know :rolleyes: The Free State army alone was 55,000 in 1923. The IRA was at least half that size.

I think form the wiki article a good description of the kind of people in the B specials during when they were formed " While Lloyd George approved the Specials, he did not think much of them and told his cabinet that Arthur Griffith had compared their enrolment to arming the East End of London, while he thought "the Fascisti in Italy would be a more exact analogy." Says it all, and that was Lloyd George's opinion.

DublinDes you're as bad as troubleshooter throwing figures plucked from God knows where to back up your arguments - there was nothing remotely like 10,000 gardai in 1969 - more like 6,500 according to this source: http://books.google.ie/books?id=zx422jZOYfkC&pg=PA286&lpg=PA286&dq=gardai+numbers+1969&source=bl&ots=fYAAnYElO7&sig=zswml-gADMaN7vwu7wJlBIGP-nE&hl=en&ei=D1aqStSeGeDTjAf5kuzTBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=9#v=onepage&q=gardai%20numbers%201969&f=false

As for 30,000 B-specials armed with Cruise missiles.........:pac::pac::pac:
    What I said Judgement Day was that " thousands of Guards, maybe 10,000 plus. " Fair enough, there was only 6,500 in 1969. since there's 14,000 + now I thought it would have been at least 10,000 or so back then.

Yes, I do agree with you about " As for 30,000 B-specials armed with Cruise missiles.........:pac::pac::pac: " :)

Gaddafi sanctioning Lockerbie is a mute point I thought. I also thought Slab Murphy had nothing to do with the republican movement and was just a simple diesel smuggler who was persecuted by the British?:D

Adams and McGuinness were protected by the British Army, if they weren't do you really think they would be alive today?

Whatever about the "Heroic" exploits of the IRA, they were able to hide behind their wives and mothers when needed, the leader of a country cannot do that. if Ireland and the UK were at war, how long do you think it would be before the RAF took out the Dail (If only eh;))

you can't compare what happened during the troubles with what would happen in a full blown war, they are entirely different things. Besides, a guerilla war against the UK would not do what the Irish army were supposedly sent out to do, which is protect nationalists in Northern Ireland.
    Your reading too many looney conspiracy theory books Fred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

DublinDes wrote: »
    Your reading too many looney conspiracy theory books Fred.

Not at all.

Adams is the British government's pet, why do you think they kept him alive and now pay Sinn Fein hundreds of thousand a year?

Keep your friends close and you enemies closer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

Adams is the British government's pet, why do you think they kept him alive and now pay Sinn Fein hundreds of thousand a year?

Keep your friends close and you enemies closer.

That theory swings both ways - my father was convinced that Paisley must have been in the pay of the IRA. He swore that every time Paisley went on TV IRA recruitment must have soared.

One man's meat is another man's poison.

• Advertisement

MarchDub wrote: »
    That theory swings both ways - my father was convinced that Paisley must have been in the pay of the IRA. He swore that every time Paisley went on TV IRA recruitment must have soared.

One man's meat is another man's poison.
    The Provos have never made a secret as to why they didn't whack Paisley, they've always said that Paisley was the true face of unionism and british occupation, Therefore they let him live to embarrass the Brit govt. and to let the rest of the world know that British/unionist secterianism is a produc of the perversion known as Britain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Hmm a tad disrespectful, but not far off.

The British Army had changed radically in those 40 years, such as fighter airplanes etc. Not a whole pile changed in the Irish Army, and by 1921 BOTH sides wanted a truce.

The PIRA were losing their battle, and that is the main reason why they went to the table, and the PIRA is not the Irish Army.

The PIRA were superior to the Irish Army. Ask Admiral Nelson :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Jesus. wrote: »
    The PIRA were superior to the Irish Army. Ask Admiral Nelson :(

I know this is the "History" forum but this is a 5 year old thread. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Jesus is the name, resurrection is my game

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

6 year old thread, I'm locking it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement