Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Taxi signs...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Seanieke wrote: »
    No actually, its a mates, he's away on 2 weeks sebatical. This came up around the canteen table in work then, ya know, "god that'd be handy" etc etc..

So I said I'd ask to see what the official line was!

thats fair enough but if your caught. which u would be as u would have no yellow daisys on the motor you and your mate will be in deep poo

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

poisonated wrote: »
    on topic:That would be handy alright.Michael O leary gets away with that type of thing.Why not you.

That was the question really!! Can ya do it, ya know how canteen conversations go!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 frank33

Just throwing this out there, If one happened to have a taxi roof sign & one decided to place said roof sign upon ones vehicle & head down every bus lane known to man, is this illegeal? Not picking up passangers or parking in ranks, just availing of our wonderful bus lanes.

(I dont have a taxi licence & said vehicle is a big van!)

thats a bit like saying if i construct a pair of wings on my
    car would i be allowed drive on the airport runway.

<snip>

blahblah06 wrote: »
    thats fair enough but if your caught. which u would be as u would have no yellow daisys on the motor you and your mate will be in deep poo

I'll give it a miss so!!

I already have one taxi driver out there scowering the bus lanes for me without having the guards wanting a word too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

sdonn wrote: »
    You make it sound like you wouldn't have banned if he hadn't said it was worth it, tbh.
    The ban was for the personal abuse, whether or not it was worth it is for Volvoboy to decide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭afatbollix

m o leary had a sign on his roof and i think i seen a Bentley with one before... if you go about it the right way of coarse you could get a roof sign and be totally legit and drive the bus lanes..

or just drive the bus lanes and take the 80 euro fine when ever they catch you..

frank33 wrote: »

you twat

If you got an Airside pass then yes.

All vehicles with an airside pass, at least one flashing strobe & a means of contacting air traffic control would be allowed on the runway, with wings taped on or not!

I'll give it a miss so!!

I already have one taxi driver out there scowering the bus lanes for me without having the guards wanting a word too!!

im a cab driver and Im just giving you the advice. you could try it alright but the prob is once a cab driver sees you without the proper details they will get together and block you in the bus lane until the guards come.

As you know certain cab drivers would get annoyed over this issue simply because its there business and fair is fair

Same thing that would annoy anyone else if they tried to get into there business without proper testing and paying the fees that needs to be paid.

All vehicles with an airside pass, at least one flashing strobe & a means of contacting air traffic control would be allowed on the runway, with wings taped on or not!

Have you got a PSV test pass and licence? end of thread

afatbollix wrote: »
    m o leary had a sign on his roof and i think i seen a Bentley with one before... if you go about it the right way of coarse you could get a roof sign and be totally legit and drive the bus lanes..

or just drive the bus lanes and take the 80 euro fine when ever they catch you..

He had a roof sign because his chauffer had a psv licence and his car was reg as a taxi so theres nothing wrong with that. he paid his fees so was entitled to use it. He had the money so fare fooks to him for using his brain.

Personally any jo soap I know couldnt afford 6 k just for the use of bus lanes lol

• Advertisement

im a cab driver and Im just giving you the advice

And the advice is much appreciated. The whole situation is a very "what if" type thing. Something to gnaw away an hour or so at work!!

I've even more to talk about now thanks to Volvobuck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

The OP asked a (probably) flippant question of the sort that have often gone around works canteen tables, and the sort that have always intrigued those of us who wonder sometimes about the oddities of laws. He didn't say he intended to do it, and I didn't read anywhere that he was about to take money out of poor taxi driver's pockets. I never cease to be amazed how posters on these boards choose to explode in indigation all too often. Volvoboy has posted many valuable answers to posters problems, so why flame someone now? The ban is a pity if deserved.

ART6 wrote: »
    a probably flippant question of the sort that have often gone around works canteen tables, and the sort that have always intrigued those of us who wonder sometimes about the oddities of laws

Exactly!!
    I didn't expect all this!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

frank33 wrote: »

you twat

Take a weeks break "Frank"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,680 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

OP, dont be so stupid please.
    you cannot put the roof sign on your car, the big numbers on the roof sign, for example 37205 are registered to a partucular person and a particular car.

if your caught, you get done for :

no PSV insurance
    no PSV licence
    no PSV plate
    using a bus lane
    etc etc etc

doesnt matter if you dont use rank space or decide not to pick up passengers, you'll still get fined, banned and a nice big endorsement for when you get your licence back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

why not just drive in the bus lane anyways? If your going to break the law you have more chance of leniency if you aint going to decieve.

Agree 100% most taxi drivers are ignorant, They make me sick with their own blatant disregard to the ROTR, while lambasting anybody who tries the same.(I do wonder if they would have passengers in the car while they block the OP in )

I never let them out of side roads, never let them out around a bus in a bus lane, laugh when their 15 year old ****box carina has died at the side of the road.(actually ive seen 3 in the past week:D)

Perhaps if they had some manners and provided a decent service my attitude would be different.

kceire wrote: »
    OP, dont be so stupid please.
    you cannot put the roof sign on your car, the big numbers on the roof sign, for example 37205 are registered to a partucular person and a particular car.

if your caught, you get done for :

no PSV insurance
    no PSV licence
    no PSV plate
    using a bus lane
    etc etc etc

doesnt matter if you dont use rank space or decide not to pick up passengers, you'll still get fined, banned and a nice big endorsement for when you get your licence back.

Well these answer the question, Thanks!

kona wrote: »
    why not just drive in the bus lane anyways?

I'm a van driver, It's a regular occurance lol (sushh)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭deep1

What about something like this?

diy-taxi-dublin.gif

deep1 wrote: »
    What about something like this?

diy-taxi-dublin.gif

LOVING IT!!!!:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Toyota_Avensis

Michael O'Leary actually has a Taxi which is registered in the Mullingar Area. He uses it to get from Mullingar to Dublin faster, by using the bus lanes. He maintains its registered and totally legal and has said "If your around Mullingar, give us a shout and I'll pick you up" ::pac:

The man is a Genious !! :D

kona wrote: »
    why not just drive in the bus lane anyways? If your going to break the law you have more chance of leniency if you aint going to decieve.

Agree 100% most taxi drivers are ignorant, They make me sick with their own blatant disregard to the ROTR, while lambasting anybody who tries the same.(I do wonder if they would have passengers in the car while they block the OP in )

I never let them out of side roads, never let them out around a bus in a bus lane, laugh when their 15 year old ****box carina has died at the side of the road.(actually ive seen 3 in the past week:D)

Perhaps if they had some manners and provided a decent service my attitude would be different.

what about the taxi drivers that are not ignorant?

I never understood the point in not letting a taxi driver out when within the next 30 seconds they will just pass you in the bus lane. dont see what your gaining from it. were just trying to make a living like everyone else.
    would u get annoyed if you were heading to work and got stuck behind a tractor or even a cab driver that decided to crawl up the normal lane?

of course you would

i personally let cars out in front of me and am curtious to other road users but it does astonish me the normal ppl out there that dont like cab drivers.

were not all the same lads.

what about the taxi drivers that are not ignorant?

I never understood the point in not letting a taxi driver out when within the next 30 seconds they will just pass you in the bus lane. dont see what your gaining from it. were just trying to make a living like everyone else.
    would u get annoyed if you were heading to work and got stuck behind a tractor or even a cab driver that decided to crawl up the normal lane?

of course you would

i personally let cars out in front of me and am curtious to other road users but it does astonish me the normal ppl out there that dont like cab drivers.

were not all the same lads.

You have a majority that is like a cancer in your trade. A lot of ignorant racist opinionated arseholes who believe other people owe them somthing because the days of ripping us off are over.

I wont let taxi drivers out because the chances are he has no road manners, what goes around comes around and all that.

I know taxi drivers who hate taxi drivers too. (weird). But I understand where they are.

Perhaps you should decide to distance yourself from these pricks.

exactly what goes around comes around as you said. same applys to yourself.

I run a taxi as a business and dont care about any other cab drivers out there except my father.

a lot of the old time cab drivers are just bitches but its wrong to tarnish us all

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

You seem to genuinely have a misconception of thinking a lot of things are allowed when they aren't...putting a taxi plate up without a licence, now runways...that is so wrong on so many levels I don't know where to start... :P

Only things allowed on the runway are maintenance, operations, Airport Police fire ambulance and planes. Construction too, but only when it's closed.

They don't let all the random catering truck guys with airside passes drive down the runway for the laugh you know.

As for the bahiviour of taxis, most drivers are dead friendly when you're in the car itself, but they drive like maniacs as a rule. They do illegal u-turns, park or stop illegealy, take random routes to get a higher fare, force their way into the main lane when a bus lane ends (as if they have some god-given right of way)...the list is just about endless.

End of the day they can be nice as pie to customers but their driving and general attiude to other drivers is nothing short of pathetic with some exceptions, of course.

exactly what goes around comes around as you said. same applys to yourself.

I run a taxi as a business and dont care about any other cab drivers out there except my father.

a lot of the old time cab drivers are just bitches but its wrong to tarnish us all

Youre right it is wrong, but its got to the stage where they are out of control, Im sure you see it having to que with them at ranks( Or obstruct cycle lanes/buslanes/double yellows while waiting to get into the rank).

Im sure that your a grand chap, but take Mr.Volvoboy as a example.......Hes in the majority, stereotypical taxi driver...even down to the clapped out toyota.

Ive no respect for taxi drivers, I cant tell who you are, but I know the chances are that if your car has a taxi plate, your a asshole.

Why dont taxi companies decide to set up, only using drivers with quality cars, and drivers who are not racist opinionated bastards?? I dont want to listen to that drivel, then having to pay for it. I certainly dont want to pay for a lift home in a banger of a car.
    Build up a reputation. In the end It will force these spoofers out of the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,415 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

sdonn wrote: »
    Only things allowed on the runway are maintenance, operations, Airport Police fire ambulance and planes. Construction too, but only when it's closed.

so this is made up? :(
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biWhtZXlb7s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Guys, I'm temporarily closing this thread pending advice.

It started off as a relatively innocent, if misguided, question. It degenerated into an embarrasing show if ill-manners, and it's now just a taxi-bashing-fest that has nothing to do with the OP.

I'm sure at this stage the OP's question has been satisfactorily answered.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement