Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best subject to take up in 6th year?

Options
  • 31-08-2009 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Hi, I'm doing 6 honours subjects but am weak at spanish and was wondering if theres a subject I could take up at this stage and get an A1/2 in. I would probably be able to get a grind a week and would work hard at it. I'm thinking applied maths, business, ag science, physics, etc. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Famous45

physics

Swerve.

My advice would be Accountancy - if you are strong numerically

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I agree about accountancy, it's an easy one to score highly in if you work at it.

What other subjects are you doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭caroline1111

oh yeah, accountancy would definately be one I'd consider. I'm mathsy/sciency. I do maths, chemistry, economics, english, biology, spanish and irish. Any advice if I were to do it?

oh yeah, accountancy would definately be one I'd consider. I'm mathsy/sciency. I do maths, chemistry, economics, english, biology, spanish and irish. Any advice if I were to do it?

It's been a few years since I've done it ... but it's all about the exam papers! Get the course covered, and then for the last couple of months just do every question in all the papers over and over. Also don't depend too much on patterns and predictions - it's not a massive course; and once you understand the basic concepts it's not too difficult to cover everything in it. If you're willing to put in the work, and you've any sort of aptitude for it, you would be almost guaranteed the A1.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Johnnyjump

Accountancy sounds promising. I'd never have thought ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Johnnyjump

Some people suggest other subjects but forget that there is quite alot of project work to do in those subjects which would make them less likely to do in 1 year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭sxt

Home Economics ,perhaps ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

How about just devoting more time and effort to Spanish:confused::confused:

If you're science-y, go for physics or applied maths. Don't mind what people say about physics being extremely hard, it's not, and if you're any way orientated towards science or maths, you'll fly through it.

If you're science-y, go for physics or applied maths. Don't mind what people say about physics being extremely hard, it's not, and if you're any way orientated towards science or maths, you'll fly through it.

Mmm I don't know, I would definitely consider myself to be a mathsy-sciency kind of person and I really struggled to get a B3. And I did the course in two years. Like it's certainly one that you could get an honours in in one year, but I don't think you could count on getting an A in it, there's an awful lot in it.

By the way, I'm presuming the OP is going into sixth year and not fifth year yeah?

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies. Home Ec - i don't like(did it for jc) and there is alot of practical stuff.
    As for the Spanish, I have the worst teacher ever and im not good at speaking it/ understanding spanish people. I'd be getting grinds in this all year anyway and the best I could hope for would be a B1...

Mmm I don't know, I would definitely consider myself to be a mathsy-sciency kind of person and I really struggled to get a B3. And I did the course in two years. Like it's certainly one that you could get an honours in in one year, but I don't think you could count on getting an A in it, there's an awful lot in it.

By the way, I'm presuming the OP is going into sixth year and not fifth year yeah?

Well, it's far far shorter than either of the other two science courses. I don't know how/why people view it to be so long/hard, it's possibly one of the shortest courses.

I'm going into 6th year. I think I'd rather do applied maths or accounting than physics. Can anyine explain what applied maths is about like in comparison to honours maths?

I'm going into 6th year. I think I'd rather do applied maths or accounting than physics. Can anyine explain what applied maths is about like in comparison to honours maths?

If you don't like physics you won't like applied maths. Applied maths is, basically, the mechanics section the physics course in much greater detail.

Don't mind what people say about physics being extremely hard, it's not

No one said it was hard :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭kodak

Take up ag sci if you have the option.

I took up accounting in 6th year, fell asleep and picked up ag sci in late october and got an A1(H) Only A1 i got too!!

Biology overlaps it big time and its handy. You do a project so points in the bag beofre you sit exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

maths

Famous45 wrote: »

Nobody has explicitly said it yet (in this particular thread), but the implications of many posts (e.g. "swerve") lead to the same conclusion as if it were said, i.e. that it's hard.

Nobody has explicitly said it yet (in this particular thread), but the implications of many posts (e.g. "swerve") lead to the same conclusion as if it were said, i.e. that it's hard.

So you assumed.

Physics is simple if you find Maths the same. Leaving Cert Physics is not hard to comprehend although not many who study it actually do. It's a straightforward exercise of following a formula and bob's your uncle at that level.

It will not benefit you so it's best to swerve.

So you assumed.

No, no I didn't.
    Physics is simple if you find Maths the same. Leaving Cert Physics is not hard to comprehend although not many who study it actually do. It's a straightforward exercise of following a formula and bob's your uncle at that level.

I agree.
    It will not benefit you so it's best to swerve.

Why do you say it wouldn't benefit the OP?

• Advertisement

I didn't say i didn't like physics, just that by the sounds of things applied amths and accounting are shorter more managable courses. Im trying to think of the subject that would be easiest to teach myself with just weekly grinds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Banter Joe

I didn't say i didn't like physics, just that by the sounds of things applied amths and accounting are shorter more managable courses. Im trying to think of the subject that would be easiest to teach myself with just weekly grinds.

I only did applied maths for a year in sixth year, with two hours of grinds a week. I didn't kill myself for the year, only studied the day before the exam, and got a C2.

The questions follow particular patterns and so it's really all about practice, which I didn't do enough of.
    I did Physics as well, and it's a much larger course, probably more difficult to do it all in a year.
    Didn't do accounting so I can't really comment on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭pervertedcoffee

I recommend Japanese!! I know languages don't seem to be your thing but the course is designed to be done in the LC cycle and it's very easy to cover the course in the space of a year. I taught myself, from scratch in about three months - got a B1, honours. I wouldn't have gotten my course without it- and I just did it for fun to be honest! So if you get grinds? Sorted!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

There are 4 or 5 posters on this forum who maintain that the math content is incredibly difficult and even if you spend a crazy amount of time at it, you wont get a good grade.

They are mistaken(Read: Wrong), the Maths in Physics is quite simple, it involves substituting values into a formula, little else, go through a few examples, practice the questions and you're laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Japanese? That was random. I'm in the same situation. May talk to the business/accounting teacher tomorrow. Failing Honours Maths and English is dodgy so i've no fall back,doing 7 subjects

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭FridaysWell

Do accountancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭pervertedcoffee

Healium wrote: »
    Japanese? That was random.

Yup, I don't think many people even know it's available in LC but I swear to God it's pretty easy, it's like doing a subject at Junior Cert. level. If you are worried about points it does make a fantastic extra subject. I pwomise :D

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

I agree with Jammy Dodger.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I'd be inclined to go with Physics. I only took it up in April of 5th year, and without killing myself, I got a B2. I was really annoyed I didn't get an A because I got A1s in both the mocks, and I know I could have but I just didn't study enough really. To that end, I'd certainly say it can be done in a year.

Re applied maths: I had a bad experience with this and left it in January of 6th year (I did it outside of school). I just didn't get it, though that was only because my teacher was not very good at all. I ended up with an A2 in regular maths, so ability was not an issue. If you're good at maths, and can get a good teacher, I'd certainly reccommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 riskyOz

If any fella is looking for easy points then they should do construction studies. Probably the easiest 85 or 90 points you can get. The exam is so common sense.:rolleyes:

Advertisement