Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dole queues rocket - baby boom follows!

Options
  • 31-08-2009 1:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

2008 saw the highest number of births recorded in Ireland since 1896. In total, 75,065 births were recorded.

The figures are published today by the Central Statistics Office.

The CSO has also published the top ten names chosen for babies last year. Jack tops the boys' names while Ava was the most popular choice for girls.

The CSO also notes that for the first time since 1990, the fertility rate is running at a level that will see the population replacing itself in the long run, ignoring migration.

Its like a throwback to the old days - poverty & permenantly pregnant. Except
    back then Jack was "merely" a nickname and Ava was the name of a movie star.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

mike65 wrote: »
    Ava was the name of a movie star.

I personally know people who all called their children this, albeit all with slightly different spellings.

Ditto (two people) Jack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

it's cos everybody is being tight with their moneys now, and sexing is generally free. it's also far better than the poxy cinema at e10.40 a ticket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

genericguy wrote: »
    it's cos everybody is being tight with their moneys now, and sexing is generally free. it's also far better than the poxy cinema at e10.40 a ticket.

Where is this free sexing you speak of - pics please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Am I reading the report right WTF

6 girls under 15 giving birth to their 1st child
    3 girls aged 16 giving birth to their 2nd child
    1 girl aged 17 giving birth to their 3rd child
    1 girl aged 19 giving birth to their 4th child

Page 13 http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0831/cso.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Sexing? Well it's my opinion that we all pay for sex, one way or the other.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

Is there anyway of finding out how many of these children were born to Irish people?

Is there anyway of finding out how many of these children were born to Irish people?

What has that got to do with the price of turnips?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They are all Irish now!

CCCP^ wrote: »
    Sexing? Well it's my opinion that we all pay for sex, one way or the other.

ah man, that's cynical.

...although i suppose i do have to feed the girl in the cellar occasionally...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Yeah i think the reason we have such a high birth rate last year was because of Immigrants having childers, where i live you can see lots and lots of Eastern european and african Immigrants with 2 and 3 little kids on the go, and man some of the women are so hot. I think some of them are having kida Just to get the childers allowance to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I blame the parents.

oldyouth wrote: »

All seems pretty normal to me.

ah man, that's cynical.

...although i suppose i do have to feed the girl in the cellar occasionally...

Evil Basta*d

Yours etc

Kate & Gerry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

Has coppers got its own section yet?

They are all Irish now!

No, they're not. Read up on your law.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

4 kids at 19, talk about not learning your lesson!

Long Onion wrote: »
    Evil Basta*d

Yours etc

Kate & Gerry

ironically madeleine is probably the only recipient of free secks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Novella wrote: »
    4 kids at 19, talk about not learning your lesson!

From the sounds of it she's learned her lesson when it comes to maths and economics...

Interesting that the UK are seeing similar rises in birth rates. It would be foolish to think that immigrants are not playing a role in this rise, in both countries...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No, they're not. Read up on your law.

I mean spiritually, in a loving way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭FutureTaoiseach

It will make it harder to make the "population-replacement" argument for more liberal immigration-policies, as some in the political-elite have done.

Wertz wrote: »
    From the sounds of it she's learned her lesson when it comes to maths and economics...

Interesting that the UK are seeing similar rises in birth rates. It would be foolish to think that immigrants are not playing a role in this rise, in both countries...

Immigrants are responsible for the majority of the increas IMO. Irish and British TFRs are well below replacement, especially Britain. Even with population momentum now coming into place, I don't see how this increase can be attributed to Irish people. Interesting that the cso will publish wheter or not the mother is married but not her nationality.

• Advertisement

Immigrants are responsible for the majority of the increas IMO. Irish and British TFRs are well below replacement, especially Britain. Even with population momentum now coming into place, I don't see how this increase can be attributed to Irish people. Interesting that the cso will publish wheter or not the mother is married but not her nationality.
    Bill_ashmount, I understand, in relation to your question, that previous statistics reported in the Independent (perhaps 2007 or 2008 I don't remember) indicated that 1/6th of births were to foreign-nationals.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

;61877804 I think some of them are having kida Just to get the childers allowance to be honest.

What brings you to that conclusion? Would the proportion of Eastern Europeans having kids for that reason would be more or less than the general population?

For my tuppence I think that is complete nonsense; people have children for many reasons but very few to receive childcare allowance. Very shortsighted of them if they do anyway. Bringing up children costs a lot more than childcare allowances

It will make it harder to make the "population-replacement" argument for more liberal immigration-policies, as some in the political-elite have done.

Indeed. The greatest scam ever published throughout the world. When you have 5 million, you need 6 million. America now has 307 million and they are saying they need 450 million. When they get there they will need more, that's how economics works. Fair play to the Japanese for resisiting the United Nations calls for 10 million immigrants every 5-10 years to be allowed into their country.

Bill_ashmount, I understand, in relation to your question, that previous statistics reported in the Independent (perhaps 2007 or 2008 I don't remember) indicated that 1/6th of births were to foreign-nationals.

Interesting. Thank You.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

And how many prosecutions for child sex abuse/statutory rape or whatever the law calls it?

I mean spiritually, in a loving way.

:) I have no problem with that, nor do I when they are eventually made legally Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,141 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Well wtf did you expect when you pay people to stay at home and get themselves bored and horny?

Yeah i think the reason we have such a high birth rate last year was because of Immigrants having childers, where i live you can see lots and lots of Eastern european and african Immigrants with 2 and 3 little kids on the go, and man some of the women are so hot. I think some of them are having kida Just to get the childers allowance to be honest.

If there are so many hot immigrant women around you just dying to have babies for the money, what are you doing sitting in watching the Rose of Tralee?

Some friggin people:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Ava?
    I don't know a single person with this name. Where did it come from?

• Advertisement

Blisterman wrote: »
    Ava?
    I don't know a single person with this name. Where did it come from?
    An anglicisation of Aoife?

Advertisement