Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish stuff

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Every single thing listed here can be applied to 100 other countries. The Irish aren't that unique. We don't drink nearly as much as the Finnish, for example. Our most famous drink is bogwater infused with alcohol. Real special.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Níl aon rud níos Éireannaí ná an Ghaeilge!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

One of my mates from London pointed this out to me a while ago....

Irish people always say "now" after they do something, e.g. they hand you a cup of tea and say "now" :D

I do it meself, completely without realising it hehe.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

Níl aon rud níos Éireannaí ná an Ghaeilge!

Not understanding this post despite having learned the language for 13 years

I do really

I'm fairly sure there is one very common phrase that is only used in Ireland and that is "giving out". I remember being looked at blankly so many times by people when I lived in London when I said things like " That fool in work wouldnt stop giving out to me"

The funny thing about it is that its a very difficult phrase to replace with something else. i.e. How do you describe the act of giving out to someone without using the words "giving out"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

Scolding, telling off, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

People who mock other people because of their success.

For example, the guy who got 9 A1s in the leaving cert. Everybody who saw the picture were all ''look at him, he's foxy'' ''he'll never have a girlfriend''. ''he has no friends because he did well''. But nobody actually said anything positive like Well done :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Roadend wrote: »
    Not understanding this post despite having learned the language for 13 years

An inability to learn thinks that are thaught to us for 13 years...

Ciúnas bóthar cailín baile... :pac:
    And a tolerence of assault in the context of sporting events - even when it's very much against the rules of that game!

Roadend wrote: »
    Scolding, telling off, etc.

I think words like that dont make the point as well as giving out. But thats probably because I'm Irish and I feel like a clown saying telling off.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭NedTermo

Larkin501 wrote: »
    People who mock other people because of their success.

For example, the guy who got 9 A1s in the leaving cert. Everybody who saw the picture were all ''look at him, he's foxy'' ''he'll never have a girlfriend''. ''he has no friends because he did well''. But nobody actually said anything positive like Well done :mad:

Congrats to you then.
    (Still aint gettin no ass)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

Confab wrote: »
    Every single thing listed here can be applied to 100 other countries. The Irish aren't that unique. We don't drink nearly as much as the Finnish, for example. Our most famous drink is bogwater infused with alcohol. Real special.

Which Thread were you reading???

Advertisement