Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Qualifications for politicians?

Options
  • 30-08-2009 12:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭

Isn't it about time our politicians had to have a recognised qualification in politics to stand for office? It seem to me that all you need to be a politician in Ireland is a brass neck, rubber skin, the ability to avoid responsability and talk sh*te. In this day and age we're supposed to have degrees coming out our rear ends to get the most trivial of jobs and have certification and licences for every mickey mouse skill or trade, it's about time the tables were turned and with a bit of luck me might actually get a result, politicans of the future might actually be able to do the job that they're over payed to do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

Yh and they should also have a background in their specific role. Like the minister for health having a background in health care, minister for transport having a background in transport and so.

However that would be the comman sense thing to do so theres no chance of that happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭leitrim lad

ya well heres a list of things you currently dont require to be a politician

bank account
    tax clearence cert
    common sence/knowledge
    any form of education
    manners
    trust

but to name a few

and then you have the barristers and solicitors (knowalls) who are ment to have all these degrees, and tbh i wouldnt let them wipe my arse , because they would probably only end up picking my pocket,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

It's funny how politicians (and not even all of them, just the ones currently in power) think they know better than a group of 46 economists (lecturers etc) who are against NAMA.

In fact, it's probably only a small few at the top of the party (FF) who are in favour of NAMA, but the legislation will pass through the Dail anyway because the backbenchers always vote blindly in favour of their party's position, regardless of consequence.

The only qualification that matters for an Irish Politician is an A+ in "Cute Whorness".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

The only requirement as it stands as far as I can see is that you own at least 2 suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

Its a popularity contest - much like electing your class rep in uni.. whoever can talk the most shyte and look good wins...

But in fairness a lot of elected representatives have 3rd and 4th level degrees... sure isn't Brian Cowan a Lawyer/solicitor?

Its all about the budget that they have to work with will determine what they can do.. or the lack of one as the case maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 demac71

you are all being very unfair on our poor politicians. they work ever so hard with their private cars plus drivers, make up allowance and any amount of time off in the summer to go on junkets. and if you do a half decent job when you get in you get all the extra perks. who would want to be a politician

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

DamoDLK wrote: »
    Its a popularity contest - much like electing your class rep in uni.. whoever can talk the most shyte and look good wins...
    :eek: Erm... Cowen? Harney?

Also, it's also very handy to have a family history with whatever party your with...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

We should be allowed to elect who we want. A college education is no guarantee of someone being an effective legislator.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

there is no Qualifications needed. as long as you can pursuade c. 9000 people to vote for you. happy days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Boards.ie party? Dev or Snyper could run, I bet he could get 9000 votes in a Dublin constituency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

El Weirdo wrote: »
    :eek: Erm... Cowen? Harney?

Also, it's also very handy to have a family history with whatever party your with...

ok well maybe not look so good.. who knows maybe taste in the late 70's early 80's was different..lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

jd83 wrote: »
    Yh and they should also have a background in their specific role. Like the minister for health having a background in health care, minister for transport having a background in transport and so.

How much of a background? Would a GP be enough for minister for health? Or should it be consultant level? I think consultants get paid more than ministers so they'd want to actually be a politician that was taking the role because they want to make the country better rather than looking after number 1 or the party first and I don't think there are many of those about.
    What if the highest health related qualification elected to government was GP? You'd only be able to choose from them for minister for health.

I agree that the way it's done now is a shambles. People are elected based on popularity or soundbites or accents and then they get to run major departments for the country. I just don't see how it can be done better. People who have the qualifications, experience and skills to run these departments are CEOs etc. and they'll be getting paid way more than any politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Anyway, you're looking at this all wrong.

The general public are fucking stupid.

You only have to take a look at TV ratings and music charts to realise that there's a sizeable chunk of them that can barely tie their shoelaces in the morning. Just look at how many tabloids are sold in this country every day.

Look at the fuckwits that we continually return to office.

Maybe the electorate should be given some sort of exam before they're allowed to vote?

well ah infacta i tink its all a case of who you know ,or more importantly who you let on to know,

and then the ball starts rolling, and when your elected you get away with murder, limos at airports, not paying farmers for cattle, borrowing money that your never going to pay back, not paying ground rent,

introducing legislation that suits you and not the people of the country, ,, yes thats right dermot ahearn you go and join the gardai now , your not wanted in the dail anymore,

and lenehan,and biffo ,are aswell to set up the tent in galway with the bankrupts of the country, and live in it with them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭Dartz

At least the people can elect our officials?

Can you imagine not having a say at all in choosing the morons who moderate our lives?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

mike65 wrote: »
    Boards.ie party? Dev or Snyper could run, I bet he could get 9000 votes in a Dublin constituency.
    Snyper could put up his own election posters without the need for a ladder either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Anonomyte

It seems all you need to be is a fat ba$tard and have a face people just want to punch(Would never hit a woman but Mary Harney comes to mind). All seriousness if FF were more open with the public they would have been overthrown a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The idea has it's merits but politicians are supposed to represent the people, some collage educated Dub can't really speak for the people of another part of the country that they may have never been to just as some guy from a small town in the west isn't going to know whats best for a big city like Dublin.

In any case the politicians should be managing people that are skilled in their fields and they should be listening to those experts instead of the people they go to lunch with, play golf with or share a few pints with down in the pub.

There could be a short course that they have to take, if people elected the next set of representation a year before they go into office and they spent that year being educated in the role they would be taking on it may be enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

ScumLord wrote: »
    The idea has it's merits but politicians are supposed to represent the people, some guy from a small town in the west isn't going to know whats best for a big city like Dublin.

+1

Men from the bog just shouldn't be allowed near any position of authority. Simple hillbillys

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    It's funny how politicians (and not even all of them, just the ones currently in power) think they know better than a group of 46 economists (lecturers etc) who are against NAMA.
    Are there only 46 economists in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Amazing how the politicians not in power disagree with the ones in power. Is this the first time you noticed this phenomena?

+1

Men from the bog just shouldn't be allowed near any position of authority. Simple hillbillys

interesting point, and your from a town i take it or a city is it, sure thats not a council estate

you forget that its the men from the bog who built your fancy towns and cities in ireland america and britain,

dont forget that now, town mouse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Stekelly wrote: »
    Are there only 46 economists in Ireland?

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!
    Amazing how the politicians not in power disagree with the ones in power. Is this the first time you noticed this phenomena?

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭GER12

I think its necessary for minister's at least to have a qualification in the portfolio that they are managing. While they may have civil servants to advise them - they really need practical knowledge.

One would hardly get the position of an economists if one didnt have at the very least a degree in economics. We have all seen it though were minister's for justice - had no law degrees - where minister's for health were barristers - where minister's for social welfare were teacher's and minister's for education were just pure batty! That doesnt even mention minister's for finance who made claims that they were accountants and not to mention graduates of LSE when in actual fact they were nothing more than a book-keeper with LSE holding no record of them being a graduate and no accountancy body had any records of them either being a member!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

But they do, every politician I know can

dodge expertly any genuine reason for effective expulsion, say, being morbidly obese and minister for health.......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

People should be able to run for whatever position they feel like regardless of qualification. It's a simple case of 'tough smells-like-mah-farm' if voters are incompetent. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Funny.

Brilliant and imformitive as your reply is, have no no real answer?
    If Brian Cowan lines up 47 economists that agree with Nama, then by your logic its a good thing again, no?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

An ethics course should be mandatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭rednik

A good supply of envelopes (brown the prefered colour).
    The ability to talk for hours without actually saying anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭utick

i think we should flood the country with polish politicians working for a tenth of the wage of irish ones, if any irish politician complains we can label them a racist right wing nut

Advertisement