Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rechecks: Anyone sure they will go up after viewing papers?

Options
  • 28-08-2009 10:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭

Just checked my papers today, Friday 6:00-9:00pm. Im going to be upgraded from an A2 to an A1 in Biology! They added up wrong, left out 16 marks!!! And I was originally on 89.5%! They prob should have rounded up, I know they are not aloud to that in maths, but anyway, gone up from 570 to 580! Getting my business rechecked aswell, 9 marks away from an A1. Spanish was actually a lot harder than what I thought, got a B1 but thought I deserved an A, but looking back over it I suppose it was a fair enough grade for that particular exam. I think I got 95% in my oral though! Tried working it out.
    Did anyone else think they deserved more marks? Or was added up wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭GallowsGhost

I only looked at my biology paper, and frankly who ever corrected it was a muppet. In the short questions they marked several right answers wrong, just because it was phrased differently to the marking scheme. For example, one of the questions was to define predation, I had the answer almost word for word to what was in the marked scheme, except I wrote "consumes" instead of "eats" and I got no marks for it. WTF!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

I only looked at my biology paper, and frankly who ever corrected it was a muppet. In the short questions they marked several right answers wrong, just because it was phrased differently to the marking scheme. For example, one of the questions was to define predation, I had the answer almost word for word to what was in the marked scheme, except I wrote "consumes" instead of "eats" and I got no marks for it. WTF!

I wrote organism instead of animal in that question and got 0. i got 98/100 in sec A though! thats was the only marks i dropped in sec A:pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Title amended to more accurately reflect thread content, before we get loads of "WTF?! I haven't even applied for my re-check yet!!" posts ... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 coislifebliain6

I had the exact same problem in biology too. I did it through Irish and it seems the examiner hadnt much Irish as when phrased things differently, though correctly, the marks werent given. It happened 4 or 5 times. I dont think thats good enough considering i put the effort in 2 study!!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭EZeeBOS

Does anyone know if you get your paper re-checked and you go down, can they take your course off you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

That's ridiculous on alot of levels tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

A friend got a c2 last year in history she then went and viewed her paper, she actually had gotten a B1, it wasnt marked wrong, it said the mark (B1) on the paper. It was transferred to her results paper wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Xtina!!

Oh forgot to ask, I originally got 356/400 in business, but then it got changed to 351/400. It was marked again. Im now 9 points off an A1. Im going to get it rechecked anyway, but is there a chance I could go up? My paper was marked fierce hard, and my teacher said the only reason they did that was because they didnt want to give out too many high grades and mine just happened to be one of the scripts chosem to be 'brought down', as what it appears to me.
    Only 3.8% of the country got A1s in business, but there were areas I thought I deserved some marks, and some for at least naming my points (2 marks) because it was relevant to the question. Ive noticed a few people complaining about business and their grades. Do ye think it could go up and does anyone else think it was marked hard?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭EZeeBOS

My business was marked really hard.....In one case it was 17 marks and they only wrote down 7. I dont know if ill bother getting it rechecked because I got my course. What ye think?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Kates923

My business was a complete joke too. Im already getting one appealed so i wont bother. I got my course so im happy but still. It was hard enough, but i thought i deserved alot more than i got.
    xXx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭argonaut

I checked one of my scripts today- I'm four marks, or two thirds of one per cent, away from the A2 in Maths required for my first choice. I reckon it's worth an appeal, on the off-chance I pick up the marks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭catrina101

checked all of mine. i was 1% (4.5 marks) off an A2 in irish and 2% off an A2 in english.

should i get my irish checked? not sure what to do.

i got my course so it makes no difference but i'm studying irish so it'd be nice to have the A!

any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭argonaut

catrina101 wrote: »
    checked all of mine. i was 1% (4.5 marks) off an A2 in irish and 2% off an A2 in english.

should i get my irish checked? not sure what to do.

i got my course so it makes no difference but i'm studying irish so it'd be nice to have the A!

any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

It costs €40, so I wouldn't bother if it doesn't make any difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

I was 4 marks (ie. one percent) off an A1 in Business, and I found several instances where I got zero marks for correct answers. Definitely getting a recheck.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

happy enough with all my papers except geography, couldnt even get a geography teacher in the school today, the only subject teacher not around.
    didnt get full marks on any of my long questions depsite giving 15 srps or more and they just didnt mark them.
    for the option i only got 50/80 even though i learned the essay straight off my 'tute' teachers notes, he definately not as great a teacher as he made out to be, assuring us we'd get 80/80 for that essay:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

so pissed off with maths. i got a C2 in hons, 389 marks out of 600. 64.8333333%

a C1 is 390 marks. i found a part where i should have got an attempt mark and didn't so here's hoping justice will be served!

also, english.. paper one i had no problem with but paper two was corrected terribly for me anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lou91

leesmom wrote: »
    happy enough with all my papers except geography, couldnt even get a geography teacher in the school today, the only subject teacher not around.
    didnt get full marks on any of my long questions depsite giving 15 srps or more and they just didnt mark them.
    for the option i only got 50/80 even though i learned the essay straight off my 'tute' teachers notes, he definately not as great a teacher as he made out to be, assuring us we'd get 80/80 for that essay:confused:

Yeah, same. I learned off the tute notes and added in some more stuff, came to about 4 pages overall and got 64/80 I think. Still got the A1 though from waffling on in the long questions

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The examiners probably spotted it as learned off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭beccabeccabecca

Got English rechecked today, three teachers looked over it and told me that I should have gotten an A1 based on what I'd written (my original grade was a B3 after six years of straight As). Delighted I went in now as it really gave my confidence a boost. Can't wait to start English in college now :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Biology is definietly getting rechecked
    the examiner just ignored some correct answers!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭IRISH DAYWALKER

i was absolutely robbed, i honours physics i was half a percent short of an A2 in honours business i was one and a half percent short of an A2 and in pass maths i was one percent short of an A1..... i was robbed my teachers said i was very unlucky im definately getting them rechecked as i will get enough poins for my first choice if i go uo so fingers crossed.... anyone know when we will find out the results for the rechecks?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Duffman'05

Don't mean to brag in anyway - only to express my painful frustration - that'll help things right?:P:(

Paper 1 Essay 90/100:eek:
    Sec B 49/50 :eek:
    RC 42/50

Paper 2 Poetry 50/50 and 20/20:eek::eek::confused:
    Comparative 62/70

....Macbeth 33/60:(:(:( All because I tried to twist the question and the examiner clearly didn;t like it...

That one question cost me my course :(

*Pulls out violin...

346 - 6 marks down on a recheck and I'm a B1, 14 marks up and I'm an A1

Would anyone else take this risk??

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

anyone know when we will find out the results for the rechecks?
    See end of first post

Yeah, same. I learned off the tute notes and added in some more stuff, came to about 4 pages overall and got 64/80 I think. Still got the A1 though from waffling on in the long questions
    what an eejit is all i can say about him.
    its not like he teaches in a way that you can actually learn how to put your own answers together , tbh i found georgaphy pretty confusing with him.oh well i got my course so theres probably no point wasting 40 euro

pjtb wrote: »
    I don't think it should really. Geography is meant to be marked fairly scientifically, ie 2 marks for each Significant Relevant Point in an answer. In the Option Question ( the Essay), there are also marks going for overall coherence, 4/6/7 marks per paragraph (depending on how many paragraphs you write 3, or 4). Perhaps they can dock marks in the coherence markings for regurgitating an essay, but I'm not privy to the internal workings of the marking of Geography, so I can only go by the published marking schemes. But coherence marks are meant to be awarded if your answer follows a logical order, and your significant relevant points (srps) are well knitted together. So going by that logic you'd think that whether the essay is identical to another's, or not, if it is coherent, you shouldn't lose those marks. If examiners are docking marks even if you have the relevant information and structure, just because you have an essay learned off, it wouldn't appear to be very fair to me. However, maybe the essays obtained from grinds aren't actually good as they're made out to be, and this is the cause. I don't know because I've never seen them.
    i had at least 15 srps for each long question, but the examiner didnt put 2 marks beside all of them, just random ones:confused:
    i wrote the same answers for the questions that were on the mocks and got full marks and in class tests i got full marks , it just pisses me off that i spent so many hours ensuring i had learned 15 srps for each type of question that could be asked, only for them to be ignored by the examiner.
    as for the long question worth 80 marks, i dont really know what kind of way the examiner corrected it, there were parts with no marks on it.
    i had 4 seperate paragraphs in my essay,with 8 or more srps in each yet only got 50/80.
    would love to know what went on with the marking of my paper but there were no geography teachers available so will never know:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭pjtb

i had at least 15 srps for each long question, but the examiner didnt put 2 marks beside all of them, just random ones:confused:
    i wrote the same answers for the questions that were on the mocks and got full marks and in class tests i got full marks , it just pisses me off that i spent so many hours ensuring i had learned 15 srps for each type of question that could be asked, only for them to be ignored by the examiner.
    as for the long question worth 80 marks, i dont really know what kind of way the examiner corrected it, there were parts with no marks on it.
    i had 4 seperate paragraphs in my essay,with 8 or more srps in each yet only got 50/80.
    would love to know what went on with the marking of my paper but there were no geography teachers available so will never know:(

Did you look at the marking scheme while your were viewing your paper? It's available on www.examinations.ie , but I'd say you know that. In your option essay they were only awarding 6 srps in each paragraph if you had four paragraphs, so having eight wouldn't necessarily mean you should gain marks. The rest of the marks were made up from cohesion (4 marks per paragraph, 16 in all) and identifying aspects (basically what each paragraph was about, which was worth another 4 marks per paragraph, once again 16 in all). The most you could get out of srps was 48/80, naming what you would discuss in each paragraph 16/80, and coherence 16/80. If you had broken it into four paragraphs it would have been marked differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

pjtb wrote: »
    Did you look at the marking scheme while your were viewing your paper? It's available on www.examinations.ie , but I'd say you know that. In your option essay they were only awarding 6 srps in each paragraph if you had four paragraphs, so having eight wouldn't necessarily mean you should gain marks. The rest of the marks were made up from cohesion (4 marks per paragraph, 16 in all) and identifying aspects (basically what each paragraph was about, which was worth another 4 marks per paragraph, once again 16 in all). The most you could get out of srps was 48/80, naming what you would discuss in each paragraph 16/80, and coherence 16/80. If you had broken it into four paragraphs it would have been marked differently.

just to let you know that my own teacher is an advising examiner for geography and he would only give half marks for coherence in a paragraph if say the candidate only got 4/6 srps. Its tough but thats how its marked.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Dubs

i was quite literally robbed of an A i english. I got 84.5% and needed 2 marks to get an A. Looking through the script, she marked my poetry section twice and on the second time actually took those 2 marks she had already given me away.

Sort of the same with chemistry as well. I was 0.25% off a higher grade. You would think they would just give it to you, but no. It actually makes me feel worse that i was so close and didnt get it.

Geogaphy was marked horribly as well, particularly my project which Im shocked about. I only got 20/30 for my gathering of info... definately not happy about this as i had more than the 9 srp's needed and in the word limit

Biology examiner was all over the place too. For qualitative survey i said animal instead of organism and didnt get the marks. I did the same for quantitative and was given the marks. Much the same throughout the script, some fault on my part i guess, but they could give the benifit of the doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 rowtowin

A friend of mine had her geog paper marked twice and was brought down from an A2 to a B1!
    If she had gotten the A2 she would have gotten her course but now she has to repeat!
    Its so unfair!
    They just don't want people to get high grades like i mean we should be rewarded with the actual grade we deserve not the grade that the examiner gives us just to keep the number of people getting As down!:mad:
    She doesnt think she should send it away to get it rechecked now cos its been marked twice already.

Im thinking of sending business away. Got 89.5% and found an extra 5mks in the franchising question. The had given me the total marks but had written 15/20 at the bottom of the page!

In my opinion its definately worth it to get your papers rechecked. Im doing accounting this year but what if I hate it and decide to do something totally different like physio next year? I might need an extra 5 points for it and rechecking my papers might give me that. I would regret it so much if I hadnt been bothered to send them away!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

rowtowin wrote: »
    They just don't want people to get high grades like i mean we should be rewarded with the actual grade we deserve not the grade that the examiner gives us just to keep the number of people getting As down!:mad:
    That's only partly true. It IS to do with limiting the number of As, but I doubt you'd be happier with a system that marked the 2009 LC as easier than any other year and any As gained in it as suspect.

Advertisement