Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which maternity hospital in Dublin to pick???

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

mary byrne wrote: »
    This is a question for Elle13:
    When you say that Semi-Private it costs 500 euros for consultants visits, do you mean in total? Or per visit? Also how many visits do you have and how many scans?
    I am stil in two minds myself aswell about Semi-Private or Private. The Midwife clinic sounds good but not sure if I am already high-risk if I would need to go with either of the other options.
    A few people have now recommended me the Rotunda so I am somewhat confused.
    Also can anyone recommend the best consultant for high risk pregnancies either semi-private or private in either the Rotunda or Holles St?
    Oh God, didn't think it would be this tough making a decision. I guess I am more apprehensive considering I am high risk.
    Hope to hear from some of you soon

You seem not sure if you are high enough risk not to be able to use midwife clinic. If you are considering Community Midwives you can just give them a ring and ask if you'll be considered high risk.
    I'm going with them and had to fill in the form about previous medical history, etc
    Of the top of my head, they do not take on women with multiple pregnancies and BMI over 30. Those are just things that I remembered. The girls are really nice and helpful, so I'd definitely give them a call.

You'll be referred to extra scans as needed if you're going public. That means that if there's anything they feel they need to monitor - you'll have a scan for free (however many you need). Just no scans for amusement purposes.

I'm really low risk so far so only getting 1 scan for the entire pregnancy unless something goes wrong or I'll be going overdue. It will be interesting to see the baby more often, but I do understand that there's no real need for me and the time I'll occupy will be better used for girls who actually need the scans.

hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭beachbabe

I realise that you are not considering the coombe, but from the point of view of semi-private V private I am so glad we went private. Was in the coombe last week for 3 nights, the consultant wanted me back in on Friday for some bloods etc. She came and saw me in the perinatal centre on Friday.
    I was back again today for more tests, and even though I did not have an appointment she saw me in her clinic after the tests. She is scanning me on Wed herself, and will see me again Friday.
    The baby might have to be delivered early, and I have full confidence in my consultant to do what is best for both of us. She is the only doc I have seen for my pregnancy, and this really helps me trust her.
    I know private is more expensive, but you cannot buy that kind of reassurance. As far as I am concerned, it is worth every penny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MrsGooze

Hi ladies.
    I need some advice & help please. I'm 8 weeks pregnant but got some spotting at around 6 weeks 4 days which scared me. It's my first pregnancy and we've been trying for 3 years so was thrilled & excited with the positive test. However, after getting the spotting (which was light brown discharge for a few days and then stopped) I went for a scan in Rotunda private clinic. The sonographer told me that the heartbeat was slow at 75bpm for 6 w & 4 days but there was a heartbeat and the yolk sak was in the right place. But then she said there was a 50/50 chance of this surviving. I've been fretting and crying ever since she told me this news.. I'll be devastated if this goes wrong. Due another scan in a week but i'm sick with worry.
    Has anyone experienced a low fetal heart beat but had a good outcome?
    And i was unhappy with the way the sonographer treated me as well .. am considering getting my 2nd scan in Holles street but i'm torn as to where to go. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Elle13

Hi Mary Byrne,

sorry girl but havent been on for a while..
    Anyhow the cost of Semi-Private in Hollest st. is 500 euro thats if you have VHI. Its total cost for all your consultants visits but all scans have to be paid on the top of this cost. Its 110 euro per scan. Now, there are only about maximum 5 consultants visits during your 9 months of pregnancy if everything is going normal. I think you are only to get about 3 scans in 9 months of your pregnancy if thats again if all is in normal. I can tell you that I am 17 weeks now going on 18 and I had no scan done so far and only 1 consultant visit which is pretty scary I think but I got a scan done privately about two weeks ago so that keeps me going.

I am still in two minds what to do really as I spoke to lots of people and they say you get the best care going with midwifes clinic in Holes st. and you dont have to pay a penny for it. Not for your visits or scans. The only thing is you are not going to get a semi private or private accomodation when you come to deliver your baby. I just think its a scam to pay any money if you are getting same care whether you going private, semi-private, public or midwifes clinic.
    The fact is that you get more time from midwife then from any consultant when you go for your wisit. I was waiting about hour and half only to see him for about 7 minutes which I thought was radicalous. Midwife gives you at least 15 or 20 mins at each of your visits. Its hard to know really which way to go.

I think you can go midwifes clinic or semi-private even if you are hi-risk as long as the midwife or constultant you are seeing is happy with it.

Not sure about Rotunda as heard few bad things about that hospital but you cant really listen to everything you hear!

I spoke to few girls in Holles st. and they all recomended the consutant I am going to and he is really nice and caring. I will PM you his name.

Hope this helps a bit. Let me know how did you decided in the end.

Take care.xx

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Jellab

HI just regarding the scans in Holles street. As they were unsure of my due date I had 4 scans with them. There is a notice on the wall and while I was paying I asked the person about this. It states scans are €120 and you only ever pay for 2 scans. The rest you don't pay for.
    I am going semi- private and due on Thursday.
    ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭hiltonhater

MrsGooze wrote: »
    Hi ladies.
    I need some advice & help please. I'm 8 weeks pregnant but got some spotting at around 6 weeks 4 days which scared me. It's my first pregnancy and we've been trying for 3 years so was thrilled & excited with the positive test. However, after getting the spotting (which was light brown discharge for a few days and then stopped) I went for a scan in Rotunda private clinic. The sonographer told me that the heartbeat was slow at 75bpm for 6 w & 4 days but there was a heartbeat and the yolk sak was in the right place. But then she said there was a 50/50 chance of this surviving. I've been fretting and crying ever since she told me this news.. I'll be devastated if this goes wrong. Due another scan in a week but i'm sick with worry.
    Has anyone experienced a low fetal heart beat but had a good outcome?
    And i was unhappy with the way the sonographer treated me as well .. am considering getting my 2nd scan in Holles street but i'm torn as to where to go. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Hiya, im presuming you got Ann in the RCSI when you went in? she is lovely, and brilliant at her job. i also had a low heartbeat at 7 wks but at 9 wks it was much better. ann is just one of those highly professional people and while she understands the excitement of a pregnancy she also has to be upfront about how she feels. up until my 12 week scan she was not saying anything to me but when i went in for the nuchal fold, as she was doing the ultrasound she congratulated me! i just think she doesnt like to over excite people is all. let us know how you get on x

• Registered Users Posts: 28 handzy

hi girls, i found out i was pregnant last week and picked rotunda, 3 days later i had a bleed, when i rang they told me to come straight in and gave me a scan..booked in for another tomorrow and im only 6 weeks 4 days.. im also going public and ann has phoned me twice in the week to check on me.. I cant recommend them
    enough...

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi Guys,

I am based in Australia and will be spending xmas in Dublin this year. I need to have a nuchal translucency test, however i am in dublin during my 12th week (30 Dec).

Where would the best place in dublin be to get the test done and how long does it take them to send results?

I am an Australian Citizen, but my husband is Irish. I am assumuing none of this will be covered by your medical system.

Thanks for your help

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

sydneymum wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I am based in Australia and will be spending xmas in Dublin this year. I need to have a nuchal translucency test, however i am in dublin during my 12th week (30 Dec).

Where would the best place in dublin be to get the test done and how long does it take them to send results?

I am an Australian Citizen, but my husband is Irish. I am assumuing none of this will be covered by your medical system.

Thanks for your help
    I think that you can get them done privatly at a few places in Dublin but am less sure about the blood tests (they have to be done a while before hand as far as I know).

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭hiltonhater

hiya
    the rotunda, well the RCSI at the rotunda will do it for you here for a fee. its not done as a routine here even for irish citizens. the number if you want to give them a call is 00353 1 8786070.
    i got mine done in here and they give you the results of both nuchal fold and bloods within about an hour.

sydneymum wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for your help

• Advertisement

Thanks for all your help guys. Much appreciated. I think i'll give Rotunda a call and cross my fingers the clinic doesn't close for long over xmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

Someone was asking about scans in Holles Street.

So far my experience of Holles Street has been pretty good.

The foetal development department is brilliant. I've had to have two scans now and both time the widwifes were absoloutely lovely. My babs is a wriggler, so tey took their time and got everyting done, showed me what they were doing every step of the way...as I was very interested. And were really nice to me as I pestered them incesantly. I had so many questions!

I honestly can't speak highly enough of getting my scans.

Been reading a few threads about the difference in Public/Private etc but no one has spelled out the costs as they differ per hospital. Surely someone out there has a spreadsheet ?! Only really interested in diff bet Holles St and Mt Carmel Private ?
    Mt C website suggests that it will cost in region of 5K(with standard VHI cover) cant find same cost on Holles St website ?

Thanks for replies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 banana bread

to be honest I'm in the same dilema as yourself. If you go to the Holles st website and in the search option type in charges it will take you the costs section.
    Basically the difference is Holles Street is about 950 per night and most of it is covered under your private insurance. You pay for a Private Consultant the same as Mt Carmel.
    Where it all becomes costly is if you have to stay in more than the standard nights.
    I've decided to go Private for my first and I visited both hospitals just to get a feel for the places and I was more impressed with mt Carmel. The staff are so friendly and helpful. They also have a 24 hour nursery so if you want to get some sleep or rest you can have your baby looked after. The only thing that worries me is if they have the most up-to date technology for emergency situations and I've heard that Holles St has everything on site and there is a possibility you could be transferred to Holles St if you are in Mount Carmel!
    If you've heard anything since I would be delighted to hear your opinion.
    Best of luck
    ignore my name, I was cooking banana bread and it was the only name I could get accepted to log on!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

The only time your care will be transferred to Holles St is if your baby is born before 32 weeks. Otherwise everything will be taken care of in Mount Carmel.

Advertisement