Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Global Warming

Options
  • 27-08-2009 4:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭

Has anyone noticed that in the Day after Tomorrow, one of the big storms that freezes people in seconds was centered over Scotland...? ... Erm... Forget about the recession and focus on killer cold, maybe? Why isn't the government preparing for this?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

Because global warming is a lie.

Jeremy Clarkson said so.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Has anyone noticed in the film Mars Attacks that the aliens came down and killed loads of people? Why isn't the government preparing for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

Phlann wrote: »

Jeremy Clarkson said so.

Agreed..
    Global warming to a point of being a danger to the planet is complete bunk.

Also I'd like to point out that Jeremy Clarkson is a loud, opinionated, mad old pillock with all the journalistic ability of a bacon sandwich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭Halla Basin

javaboy wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed in the film Mars Attacks that the aliens came down and killed loads of people? Why isn't the government preparing for this?

Please, as a mod you should try to show a little more restraint. This is a serious topic and I don't want any silly comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

Has anyone noticed that in the Day after Tomorrow, one of the big storms that freezes people in seconds was centered over Scotland...? ... Erm... Forget about the recession and focus on killer cold, maybe? Why isn't the government preparing for this?

Forget the movie and focus on the real world, maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Please, as a mod you should try to show a little more restraint. This is a serious topic and I don't want any silly comments.

Assuming you're being serious with that post...

You're wondering why the government isn't preparing for an event depicted in a fictional movie?

Is it specifically people freezing in Scotland you're worried about, or do you think they should be building some sort of massive sea wall to protect New York from tsunamis as well?

To calm your nerves:
    Q. In the movie, a giant hurricane descends from the Arctic, freezing people with -150° F wind. Is this possible?
    A. No. Hurricanes, by definition, gather strength from heat and moisture from warm ocean waters. They lose strength over land, and when the air or water temperature falls below tropical levels. Hurricanes cannot form in the Arctic. In addition, no storm could grow large enough to cover the entire northern hemisphere. Storms and strong winds form because of a gradient in atmospheric pressure. You can have a strong gradient (and therefore a strong wind) over only relatively small distances. It cannot be stormy everywhere at once.

In addition, a chill of minus 150° F is colder than any temperature so far observed in nature. The lowest recorded temperature on Earth was minus 128.6° F at Vostock, Antarctica on July 21,1983. (http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/env99/env040.htm) The coldest recorded temperature in North America was minus 81.4° F at Snag in the Yukon Territory, on February 3, 1947.

from http://www.whoi.edu/page.do?pid=12455&tid=282&cid=9948

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

Hmmmmmmm perhaps should have thought of this before you based your thread on the bumbling musings of a Hollywood script writer then.

I am also of the "Global warming is a total myth" school of thought.

Jeremy Clarkson is indeed a mad old opinionated bollix ... but I can't help but find him amusing, he annoys me in the same way as Michael Winner and George Hook - it confuses me.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Phlann wrote: »

Jeremy Clarkson said so.

The theory that humans are causing it may be a lie, I'm not sure if many people would say it's not actually happening though

I think it's a natural cycle personally

MikeC101 wrote: »
    Assuming you're being serious with that post...

You're wondering why the government isn't preparing for an event depicted in a fictional movie?

Is it specifically people freezing in Scotland you're worried about, or do you think they should be building some sort of massive sea wall to protect New York from tsunamis as well?

Absolutely! We should do everything in our power to prevent even a single human death because of Global Warming.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Has anyone noticed that in the Day after Tomorrow, one of the big storms that freezes people in seconds was centered over Scotland...? .
    No I was gouging my eyes out at the time because the film was so ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Roland Emmerich's next movie is 2012. Going by the trailer, I think we should wait to see the end of that movie before making any long term plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

:D I was simply pointing out that expecting real life governments to take their cues from fictional movies is a bit silly.

Reagan's Star Wars project anyone?

ScumLord wrote: »

Yes, I suppose it was very inconvenient for you, right?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Lets be honest, the Government fail badly at preparing for a lot of things so far.
    Whats more, the only person you can trust regards preparations is yourself.
    (and you'd probably do a darn better job too to boot!)

If some of these things come to pass, two things will be left alive.
    Cockroaches and survival nuts who will be busy laughing later in between bursting out shouting "We told ya so!"

ScumLord wrote: »

Yes Scumlord, I'd imagine it was quite the inconvenience for you, with your vested interests in keeping the truth about global warming suppressed!

Ah, you thought we didn't know about that, didn't you?

Biggins wrote: »
    Lets be honest, the Government fail badly at preparing for a lot of things so far.
    Whats more, the only person you can trust regards preparations is yourself.
    (and you'd probably do a darn better job too to boot!)

If some of these things come to pass, two things will be left alive.
    Cockroaches and survival nuts who will be busy laughing later in between bursting out shouting "We told ya so!"

Exactly, exactly. By the way, perhaps we could collaborate on our survival plans? I'm thinking of buying some property on the cheap in central Africa, do you want join funds?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Firstly,

It's not about saving the planet, that will always be here : it's about saving the people.

Secondly, TDAF is what one can only dub as being based on a different universe from ours - perhaps M theory or the likes can explain it :)

Thirdly, Global Warming is REAL!

Exactly, exactly. By the way, perhaps we could collaborate on our survival plans? I'm thinking of buying some property on the cheap in central Africa, do you want join funds?

I have some friends in the Cote D'Ivoire Ministry of Finance who could help out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

Al Gore and get the popcorn ...

... good lord jebus that was awful - sorry

OP, could i perhaps interest you in some of these magic beans?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

ah sure its only scotland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

MikeC101 wrote: »
    Yes Scumlord, I'd imagine it was quite the inconvenience for you, with your vested interests in keeping the truth about global warming suppressed!

Ah, you thought we didn't know about that, didn't you?
    Your too late to stop operation "feed baked beans to the cows so they fart more and slowly release more CO2 into the atmosphere speeding up global warming" FBBTTCSTFMASRMCO2ITASSUGW for short. Muhahahahahahahahaha

Long Onion wrote: »
    Al Gore and get the popcorn ...

... good lord jebus that was awful - sorry

OP, could i perhaps interest you in some of these magic beans?

Haha very funny. We'll see who's laughing when you're frozen solid just out of reach of me and Biggins' insulated bunker.

A-haa

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭PapaQuebec

Anyone seen the documentary "The Great Global-Warming Swindle"? Well worth a look especially as it features many of the very experts the IPCC report quote so liberally - and guess what? - they all claim to have been seriously misquoted!!! One of them (forget the name without watching the film again) is the author of the temp v's CO2 graph that Al Gore uses to such effect in his movie - except that Gore presented the graph upside down!!!!

Wazdakka wrote: »

No, I'm not a troll. It's amazing how conditioned the population is to dismiss all inconvenient environmental claims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

No, I'm not a troll. It's amazing how conditioned the population is to dismiss all inconvenient environmental claims.

Jesus f*cking wept. It's a a bloody MOVIE.

I believe in human influenced climate change but FFS, the hollywood depiction isn't where you want to be sourcing your facts or your ethics.

Alternative answer...in the event of such cataclysmic sudden onset ice age we're obviously all going to cram into NYC library and burn books whilst we wait for Dennis Quaid and a team of huskeys...

It's amazing how conditioned the population is to dismiss all inconvenient environmental claims.
    It's amazing how many people want to go half's on some land in Africa for when the plot of a b grade movie comes true.

How many times do I have to tell you all??
    It's MY Africa!

Sincerely yours,

Robert J Mugabe.

PapaQuebec wrote: »
    ...except that Gore presented the graph upside down!!!!

Point of order:
    While not saying your wrong or agreeing with you, surely if the above was the case, a LOT more (then or since) would have pointed that out and secondly, used it every time they could to hit him with it! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

PapaQuebec wrote: »
    Anyone seen the documentary "The Great Global-Warming Swindle"? Well worth a look especially as it features many of the very experts the IPCC report quote so liberally - and guess what? - they all claim to have been seriously misquoted!!! One of them (forget the name without watching the film again) is the author of the temp v's CO2 graph that Al Gore uses to such effect in his movie - except that Gore presented the graph upside down!!!!

Apparently people wroth into the irish times complaining about this being shown on telly because the film was so wrong. Just goes to show, normal people shouldn't be allowed near science. Besides, statistics are like signposts for drunk men, more for leaning on than showing the way.

I'm of the global warming is a natural process school of thought.

Anyway, the great global warming swindle is a great film, take that pinkos!

• Advertisement

Well start by building your safe room (http://www.fema.gov/plan/prevent/saferoom/residential.shtm). Then work on getting some form of water transport that is less prone to high waves and thus sinking (for example: http://www.yachtsurvey.com/sinking.htm or http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Dinks/TinyRipple.html).

Then I recommend people getting good guides on hunting, snipering, winter protection, etc.

I'd personally buy a plot somewhere in central north America or Central Europe, not Africa.

Advertisement