Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Saab 9-5

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Saab Ed wrote: »
    I just hope the plastics are as good to touch as they are to look at. I really hope this car is a winner. I has the look of one thats for sure.

If I could afford one I'd buy it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

I take it that its still going to be FWD since its based on the insignia. Unless you go for the X4 option.
    It looks great IMHO. Its a big barge though, but I suppose so is its competition 5 series, E Class, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

kearnsr wrote: »

With a new E-Class being available from €41,200 (ex. works) they are going to have to do something on the price to get people in to it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

R.O.R wrote: »
    With a new E-Class being available from €41,200 (ex. works) they are going to have to do something on the price to get people in to it.

I would have though it would be less than this

I'd also wait a year or two for a second hand one. Dont think I'd ever buy new

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Nasty look, nasty colour. An insult to the Insignia platform imo.

• Advertisement

Confab wrote: »
    Nasty look, nasty colour. An insult to the Insignia platform imo.

Buy an Insignia then. This is a Saab

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

+1

I thnk its stunning. I know people are comparing it to the new E Class price wise ( and they are right to do so) bút in fairness what you will get at the same money might be a like for like car size wise but id say the spec in the Saab should trump it. Anyway a poverty E is not a nice place to be. ( Im gonna be killed for that one :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

+1

Anyway a poverty E is not a nice place to be. ( Im gonna be killed for that one :D )

nope, I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Anyway a poverty E is not a nice place to be. ( Im gonna be killed for that one :D )

I have a real grudge against poverty spec BM's, Merc's & Audi's - If you can't afford a real one don't bother - For the price of a poverty 3 series youd get a similar size car of another brand with the works...

I love the real ones but low spec (supposedly) premium brands are a waste of money. IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

+1

I thnk its stunning. I know people are comparing it to the new E Class price wise ( and they are right to do so) bút in fairness what you will get at the same money might be a like for like car size wise but id say the spec in the Saab should trump it. Anyway a poverty E is not a nice place to be. ( Im gonna be killed for that one :D )

Problem is that 90% of people will still take a base spec E Class over a high spec Saab, and if Saab are going to make a success of this car (and I hope they do) they are going to have to beat the competition on price and spec.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mumblin deaf ro

Good coverage of the whole thing here:

http://www.saabsunited.com/

I'm still undecided about the way it looks. The photos are still a bit CGI looking, but I'm hoping it will look distinctive in a line of traffic. It seems to be slower than the 5series/A6/e class competitors, in terms of 0-60, but then Saabs have always been more about mid-range acceleration. I'm hoping that when the road tests/reviews come out that it turns out to be a driver's car, in which case its undewhelming looks may work in its favour as a sleeper; if it turns out to be slow with mushy handling then it will just emphasise the lardass elements of the design.

I really hope it turns out to be a good car so that many drivers who have been in german cars for the past ten years - and in fairness have probably been enjoying driving them - and who fancy a change might take a punt on the 9-5.

The online saab community is quite divided on the car, but most of them/us tend to buy saabs second hand because we can't afford them new, so we're not exactly a model focus group.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I'm looking forward to see what they can do with the next 9-3. That'll be the acid test...

I'm likin' the front and rear - very like past concept cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

I think it's a great looking car and I like it very much. I just fear that the car will be hampered by its Insignia underpinnings.

VolvoMan wrote: »
    I think it's a great looking car and I like it very much. I just fear that the car will be hampered by its Insignia underpinnings.

Why? they are two different cars (i know I know!) and I think they'll attract to different types of drivers

Spot on. Saab's appeal has always been based on its standing as an 'alternative', which has been undermined by the blah blah in drag comments notwithstanding the efforts of Saab engineers to customise generic platforms to within and inch of their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭PWR

in the decent size but also decent saloon car category there's Merc, BMW, Saab, Volvo and Audi, imho. Most people who'd buy a Saab don't want to drive a Beemer or a Merc. If the new 9-5 drives well and is priced right it'll sell against the E-class, for the " I'd like you to guess I'm an architect (even though I'm a sales manager)" types.

The rear is a big like S-Class tho. This will look best in silver, black, navy, loose the rest.

Why? they are two different cars (i know I know!) and I think they'll attract to different types of drivers

Well the BMW 5 Series and Merc E-Class are hardly based on sales rep's cars from a lower class, are they?

Well the BMW 5 Series and Merc E-Class are hardly based on sales rep's cars from a lower class, are they?

Thats true but why does the car have to be judged on a different one. They are two different cars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

A6 is a Passat though, A4 is an Octavia and so on and so on. If you ever drove an A4 and and a Seat Toledo you'll see they're very different cars. As clunky as the old Saab 9-5 was it was light years ahead of the Vectra platform it was based on. They might share sheet metal where your feet go but thats about it. Very different animals indeed.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

True, but those mass-market cars are getting very good. The main reason the Insignia can't regarded as a Merc/BM rival is badge snobbery. Stick A Saab badge on, and why not?

I know, I know, people are going to say "RWD Six cylinder blah blah", but that never bothered Saab drivers before...

• Advertisement

A6 is a Passat though, A4 is an Octavia and so on and so on. If you ever drove an A4 and and a Seat Toledo you'll see they're very different cars. As clunky as the old Saab 9-5 was it was light years ahead of the Vectra platform it was based on. They might share sheet metal where your feet go but thats about it. Very different animals indeed.;)

The current A4 and A6 are based on platforms that are unique to Audi; for the moment anyway until they reskin one of them and turn them into a SEAT!:D

I have no problem with the old or the new 9-5 by the way. I just feel that the 9-5 along with the current Volvo S80 will always be handicapped in their segment by being based on lesser cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

car_photo_327385_25.jpg
    It has a new owner – and is celebrating by unveiling a fresh car! As the deal to transfer control of Saab from GM to Swedish supercar maker Koenigsegg was being wrapped up, the firm released the first official look at the all-new 9-5 that goes on sale next year.

The wraps don’t officially come off until September’s Frankfurt Motor Show, but it is already clear to see the styling cues taken from the Aero X concept car and Saab’s heritage. Note the strongly sloping waistline and the wraparound glass emphasised by the blacked-out B-pillar.

Inside, there’s the promise of extra leg and shoulder room over the outgoing model, while bosses are claiming there’s more rear space than in rivals such as the Audi A6, BMW 5-Series and Jaguar XF.

The cabin features a centre console that flows smoothly down from the upper dash to a storage bin between the seats. As with all Saabs, the ignition
    button remains close to the parking brake.

Described as the firm’s most advanced car ever, the flagship saloon has an array of hi-tech features.

These include a head-up data display plus adaptive bi-xenon headlights and cruise control.

There’s also Saab’s DriveSense adaptive chassis with real-time damping, keyless go and an all-wheel-drive transmission.

The all-turbo engine line-up is broader than ever. Cars will run on diesel, petrol and E85 bioethanol, although the first of these will be the most popular variant in the UK. CO2 emissions are as low as 139 g/km.

“We have created an advanced and very distinctive product, and this is the start of a new era for our brand,” said Saab MD Jan-΅ke Jonsson.

When the car arrives, it is expected to sell for around £23,000.

Is it really a rival to the A6 and 5-Series?

Described as the firm’s most advanced car ever, the flagship saloon has an array of hi-tech features.

These include a head-up data display plus adaptive bi-xenon headlights and cruise control.

If the press release considers HUD, xenons & cruise as the most advanced car ever, what else do you think these crazy Swedes have up their sleeves?

Am I alone in thinking it's going to take a looong time before I start admiring or aspiring to a Saab?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Is it just me or did we have this thread a couple of days ago? On topic, the only time I'd aspire to have a Saab is if they were the last car on earth. I just think they've dull as... well, something very dull. A day out in Termonfeckin, perhaps. No, that doesn't do it justice. A trip to Limerick maybe? Something to aspire to on a very rainy day anyway. Reminds me of a Skoda for some reason (nothing against Skodas, they're fine cars).

Edit: Aha! I know what it reminds me of. A nice cup of warm milk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Confab wrote: »
    Is it just me or did we have this thread a couple of days ago?

Not sure. If anyone can find it I'll merge them straight away.

Edit: Never mind, found it... :D

Threads merged!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

I don't like it. :eek:

Don't like the look, but like a lot of cars, it could look better IRL.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

It looks chunkier and more American..not a good thing.

It may grow on me, but I'll have to see one for real.

Right now, not impressed, but some parts, front and rear lights..good. The new pillars, bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Not feeling that grille or the fact SAAB is written on it. Overall looks.. heavy in a stocky dwarf way, but maybe in a more interesting colour than the dull dull silver and some real photos, diff angles, might look nicer.

"Most Advanced" but doesnt actually list anything thats genuinely an advancement or even rare, the fact they even mention "cruise control" as an advanced feature is lame.
    "Wraparound Glass" yet it doesnt, in the same breath they state it has a B Pillar.

Seems they are trying to make the most of a limited toy box at the moment IMO.

PS: Yeah, it does look Skoda'ish!
    PPS: Now that Ive seen the other photos in this merged thread, my god is it ugly, it didnt improve as hoped from other angles.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,170 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Very Insignia influenced in the front appearance. Obviously this model was already finished under GM ownership.

New 9-3 will also be GM influenced so we will not likely see a totally non GM Saab for a good few years yet going by their conservative record of updating models.

Some hi-res pictures from the launch of the 9-5 at the Frankfurt show this week.

http://www.autoblog.com/gallery/frankfurt-2009-2010-saab-9-5-1/full/

I have to say I'm starting to really like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,085 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Some hi-res pictures from the launch of the 9-5 at the Frankfurt show this week.

http://www.autoblog.com/gallery/frankfurt-2009-2010-saab-9-5-1/full/

I have to say I'm starting to really like this.

Looking good, but they could have taken better pics. The one in my post (and Chris post) is still my favourite picture of it.

Advertisement