Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could Hitler happen again?

Options
  • 26-08-2009 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭

Hitler rose to power in the 30's when the country was in the toilet. depression, unemployment, poverty, anger.....sound familiar.

what i'm asking is, say some hypothetical charasmatic right winger sees the current state of the country/world and decides that, **** this, i could take over here. would it be allowed? i think the point i'm trying to make is, will the people get desperate enough to allow it?

I'm sure there are a few people who'd vote for a maniac if he:

*cleared the streets of scum
    *had a zero tolerence of crime
    *killed of rip off republic
    *got the country working again

then once he's in power we'd be rightly ****ed...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭CR 7

I'll join your army of clones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

I'm sure there are a few people who'd vote for a maniac if he:

*cleared the streets of scum
    *had a zero tolerence of crime
    *killed of rip off republic
    *got the country working again

then once he's in power we'd be rightly ****ed...

Honestly, I can't see a problem with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭OnTheBalls

Ì'd vote for the nazi's before those ***** in Fianna Fail!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

No, his mother is too old to have more children.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Yep, look no further than Cowen.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Yeah, it probably can and/or will. Not in our lifetime I'd say. After that? Who knows.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Could he happen again?

Maybe not on the same scale or nation invading, etc but the nearest nut-case today (for me) to Hitler is Mugabe.

It'd be fantastic if another Hitler came along. By that, I mean the one that single-handedly saved the German economy and not the one that then went on to practically single-handedly kill millions.

But as long as he doesn't go after the Jews or the Poles, then it's all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Drakmord

I'm sure it could.
    History tends to repeat itself!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Biggins wrote: »
    Maybe not on the same scale or nation invading, etc but the nearest nut-case to day (for me) to Hitler is Mugabe.

Yep, when I saw the title of the thread, I thought of Mugabe too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭CR 7

There's no point saying this here. This country isn't gonna take itself over you know. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Global media and its widespread use means it could never happen in the Americanised and developed world, the only people that would have the power to pull off such a thing would be Rupert Murdoch or maybe Crazy Frog.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Not a hope. He'd get way too much stick over that mustache.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Who'll we commit genocide on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

speaking of hitler

has anyone seen this yet :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I'm working on it , watch this space ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

I doubt it will ever happen. But things I predict always come out wrong :o:(:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

Adolf Hitler.

Not just there for the Nazi things in life.:)

bleg wrote: »
    Who'll we commit genocide on?

The Irish. Those bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

wir müssen die Menschen auszurotten mayo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

Hagar wrote: »
    No, his mother is too old to have more children.

You're on a roll tonight :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

I suppose Michael McDowell could make a return yet

• Registered Users Posts: 82,259 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Bad example. But I assume you meant a charismatic leader who would seize control of the state almost - if not by - force and then turn some heads.

Im afraid theyre all down at the pub. by the time they get up the next morning they dont feel like planning a coup d'etait.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Bono Vox wrote: »
    I doubt it will ever happen. But things I predict always come out wrong :o:(:D

In that case, yes, yes there will be Hitler MKII.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    wir müssen die Menschen auszurotten mayo

we must exterminate the human mayo:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭leitrim lad

well bertie tried it ,but he fell when they found out he had no bank accounts,

i would say keepan eye on lenehan, i dont like the look of him and he is a fully trained liar too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

Es ist Zeit für Rache

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭ChickenScratch

A charismatic leader with an almost obsessive following who will turn the country around in it's darkest hour...

No one else thinkin Obama no? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Has anybody seen a german movie called Die Welle (The Wave)?

It's about a teacher in germany who teaches his students about Autocracy for a week. They say that Fascism would never happen in Germany again, so the teacher begins to show them how a fascist state would come into power. He says that he will be the leader and they call themselves the Wave.

It's rather chilling as pretty much all of them go along with it and it gets out of hand. It was based on a real experiment and just shows how easily people can be manipulated.

If there was to be a rather large crisis, a political figure could play off of peoples fears to put themselves into power, as Hitler did.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

...If there was to be a rather large crisis, a political figure could play off of peoples fears to put themselves into power, as Hitler did.

Exactly like Mugabe - even though he created his own crises but shoves the blame elsewhere.
    ...and like the early Hitler period up to 1939, yet again, the world stands by and does nothing till its too late?

Advertisement