Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sound of breaking glass.

Options
  • 25-08-2009 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a story I would like to share with you. I would appreciate it if anyone who has experienced anything similar to this could let me know, because I cannot get my head around it.

I returned home from work last Wednesday night at around 10 O clock. My girlfriend was out visiting friends, as she does every wednesday night, so I was alone in the house. I had a shower and sat down in my living room to watch a dvd. The light was on in the living room. About 2 minutes into the start of the movie I heard, clear as day, the sound of glass breaking in the sitting room. It was extremely loud and shocking. I jumped off my seat in fright. The noise had come from just in front of a sofa to my right.

The noise DEFINITLEY came from this area. I did what anyone would do and proceded to find out what had broken, thinking that someone must have left something on the sofa or something and it had fallen off and broken. There was no glass anywhere. I searched the sittingroom up and down, there was not a speck. I searched the hall, thinking maybe I got where the noise came from wrong - nothing, the bathroom, bedroom and kitchen downstairs - nothing. All the bedrooms upstairs - nothing, the attic - nothing.

I tried over and over again to explain to myself where this noise came from. I simply cannot find a logical explanation for it. I do not know much about the paranormal I confess, has anyone ever heard of anything like this happening to anyone before? It was definitely the sound of breaking glass.

I havent experienced anything like this since that night.
    Thanks for reading.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭feelio

xyz1 wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a story I would like to share with you. I would appreciate it if anyone who has experienced anything similar to this could let me know, because I cannot get my head around it.

I returned home from work last Wednesday night at around 10 O clock. My girlfriend was out visiting friends, as she does every wednesday night, so I was alone in the house. I had a shower and sat down in my living room to watch a dvd. The light was on in the living room. About 2 minutes into the start of the movie I heard, clear as day, the sound of glass breaking in the sitting room. It was extremely loud and shocking. I jumped off my seat in fright. The noise had come from just in front of a sofa to my right.

The noise DEFINITLEY came from this area. I did what anyone would do and proceded to find out what had broken, thinking that someone must have left something on the sofa or something and it had fallen off and broken. There was no glass anywhere. I searched the sittingroom up and down, there was not a speck. I searched the hall, thinking maybe I got where the noise came from wrong - nothing, the bathroom, bedroom and kitchen downstairs - nothing. All the bedrooms upstairs - nothing, the attic - nothing.

I tried over and over again to explain to myself where this noise came from. I simply cannot find a logical explanation for it. I do not know much about the paranormal I confess, has anyone ever heard of anything like this happening to anyone before? It was definitely the sound of breaking glass.

Thanks for reading.

Not being smart but it wasn't anything to do with the movie?

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭xyz1

I knew I should have clarified that. No, not in anyway at all linked to the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭feelio

That is strange, has any other sounds being heard in that room?

Any history related with the house, is it new, anyone live there years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭leddpipe

thats a bizarre occurance OP!
    and it happened right "in front of you" so to speak!
    truly bizarre.
    did it go on for long?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

Chinese Lantern.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭leddpipe

Overblood wrote: »
    Chinese Lantern.

ROFL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

Seriously though, a few questions:

Are you living in a busy area?

Could it have been something outside your window?

What movie were you watching?

Were you sleepy at the time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Maybe your neighbours were dumping glass in their bins,presuming you have neighbours that is.
    Could be skobies smashing empty bottles of buckfast near your house.
    Also check your rooftiles,them breaking or moving about can sound like glass breaking.
    Maybe stinky cats around the house knocking things over.
    Either that or Steve Austin is about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

No explanations but more questions, what about the attic? As others said, did you check outside the house? You might have heard something through a vent or chimney that somehow got amplified!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

Something like this has happened to me before, in my case it was the sound of lots of pots and pans falling in my mothers kitchen about 15 or so years back.
    When I went to investigate, the cupboard from where the noise came from, everything was in its place. This happened twice in that house, lots of spooky things have happened in that house. I've mentioned these events in past threads.

But just last week in my own house I was lying awake in my bed and heard the noise of one of my children falling from a bunk bed, a really loud thud, I ran in and found no child on the ground, my wife had taken them out shopping.:confused:.

• Advertisement

Checked the attic. Theres nothing in it.

The house is about 6 years old. As far as I am aware no history of anyhting like this ever happening here before. Am living here for just 1 year, but know the previous owner very well - my gfs sister and husband.

We live in the country, so no neighbours around, closest house is about 200 metres away, the main road about half a mile away.

Movie I was watcjing was Tora!Tora!Tora! a movie about Pearl Harbour.
    I was not sleepy, was just home from work and it takes me a couple of hours to unwind.
    Couldnt have been anything outside my window, noise came from the opposite side of the room.

It did not go on for long - imagine breaking a window with a football and the noise it woud make - about 2 seconds approx.

Thanks for all your quick replies.

I have tried to find a rational explanation for this but have been unable, any help is greatly appreciated. It has me somewhat freaked/baffled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

Hi XYZ1

I can't explain what happened to you but something similiar happened to me and it scared the living sh1te out of us.

At the time I was doing a bit of parttime barwork in a hotel.
    There were two of us left in whole building, and we had just poured a pint and sat down in the bar.

In the lounge we heard an almighty noise of glasses breaking and crashing.
    Words can't describe it except to say that it sounded like anything made of glass smashed into billions of peices against each other.

We ran into the lounge thinking robbers or wild animals and there was NOTHING. Not one peice of broken glass anywhere.

It was one of the scariest moments of my life.
    We left that lounge and went home. Shaking like a leaf.
    Never ever went back in with the lights off.

I've massive goosebumps even typing this, so XYZ1, I know exactly how you feel.

I said a prayer in there the next night I was on and said out loud I'm not here to change anything or annoy anyone, if I am I'm sorry and will do my best not to!! Leave me alone and I'll leave you alone.

(Parts of building are over two hundred yeard old)

Thank God nothing that crazy happened since.

Are you in an old house by any chance?

Hope that helps,
    LJ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

In before sleep paralysis :p

I had an experience like this but when i investigated i found a shattered pint glass in the press :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭TechFreak

Have you a chimney or a surround sound system ??

Could be a sound from the surround system being refracted in the cooler air of the chimney.

hmmm only 6 years young.
    wonder was it built on site of another house?
    can you remember what kind of a mood you were in, maybe created some kind of energy?
    I recall in my instance the barman and I were arguing, loudly and very heatedly.
    Often wondered if that had something to do with it.

ellejay -thanks for your reply. It is somewhat comforting to know that someone has experienced something similar. I was on my own, so wasnt arguing with anyone and as faras I can recall was happy/content getting ready to watch a movie in peace for the night.
    As far as anyone knows this is the first house to built here.

TechFreak- We have a chimney. No surround sound system though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭scooby man

:confused::confused:me and my girlfriend were both woke up by glass smashing on floor very ****in loudly in hallway maybe even bathroom,no sign of anything broke and noone else heard it........:eek:still dont know what it was,i really think my house is haunted that was one of many things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Did you check your rooftiles?
    Try and check your fireplace and flues also,they maybe damaged.

don't really know what else to say to you :(
    maybe just put it down to experience and put it out of your head.
    you'll annoy yourself silly trying to find out cause of the noise.
    God knows I did!!!

If you think it's a spirit or energy or something, maybe say a prayer and chat to them? (I'm not a bible basher by the way)
    -Ok I know that sounds like lunacy but it might put your own mind to rest.
    You don't want to be sitting down again, on edge, waiting on it to happen again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 suma

xyz1 wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks for reading.

Wow, i was wondering from past 10 years about this sound, let me explain.

when i was doing my graduation, i returned early to hostel after by vacation, there were none in the hostel, it was 4 storied building with 10 rooms in each floor, i was all alone that night , i woke up at around 2 a.m and was about to go to bath room, i heard a very very loud sound of crashing glass just beside me, it was so loud that i closed my ears, after that it was calm, i checked all windows in the room, but none were broken, i just thought may be it was some other room's window and went to bed again, i got up in the morning and checked all windows of every room and corridor , but not even a single window was broken. I told this story to every one from past 10 years, suddenly happened to check this thread.. and i am like Wow.. i had an experiance..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

i had this happen to me about 6 or 7 years ago. wasnt the sound of glass breaking, but of something pretty solid hitting the ground. at the time I thought I was hearing a large picture or something like that falling off the wall somewhere in the house (small detached single storey cottage) - but after a good solid 30 min search, I couldnt find anything out of place.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭meryem

It happens with people very rarely and appears like we are in a fake impression that such incident really took place.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭keithc83

meryem wrote: »
    It happens with people very rarely and appears like we are in a fake impression that such incident really took place.

You can't just dismiss what people experienced by saying that these things happen rarely to some people. From what i have read people were in different moods, some relaxed, some not so relaxed, so to assume the above is a little much. I'm not saying i know what happened but don't be so close minded. Things happen sometimes that people just can't explain.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Fintomiginto

Overblood wrote: »
    Chinese Lantern.

That is one of the funniest posts Ive ever seen on boards, in tears here, brilliant!!!!

keithc83 wrote: »
    You can't just dismiss what people experienced by saying that these things happen rarely to some people. From what i have read people were in different moods, some relaxed, some not so relaxed, so to assume the above is a little much. I'm not saying i know what happened but don't be so close minded. Things happen sometimes that people just can't explain.
    I am not dismissing it completely by saying that. It is just one of the possibility in my view. It can be some random act of roaming spirit still looking for peace of mind like most do.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

It could have been a noise down the chimney. i'm always surprised at how clearly i can hear things through ours. even freaked the poor dog out once or twice. although i did have an experience where i felt something very heavy or fast fall down past my face and hit my pillow with force. i assumed i was dreaming and had punched the pillow so i fluffed it up and turned to go back asleep. it happened again behind my head, and left a dent in the pillow.

Whispered wrote: »
    It could have been a noise down the chimney. i'm always surprised at how clearly i can hear things through ours. even freaked the poor dog out once or twice. although i did have an experience where i felt something very heavy or fast fall down past my face and hit my pillow with force. i assumed i was dreaming and had punched the pillow so i fluffed it up and turned to go back asleep. it happened again behind my head, and left a dent in the pillow.
    Then it is of concern to take note of...

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

hey op - the sound of breaking glass seems to be quite a common unexplained phenomena. A very similar experience happened me when I lived in an old rented bedsit a few years back. Like yourself, I knew in my heart there was no rational explanation. The sound had literally come from behind me, from the central point of an empty room. I turned around instantly and, well nothing.

Upon googling it, I found it rather a common occurence and one which was usually referenced as a 'paranormal experience'.

I am uber skeptical and was assuming some sort of issue with my own hearing at first. But then I read of a number of 'glass breaking' occurences heard by more than one person (including the one posted earlier in this thread) so that sorta put paid to that theory.

Now I'm inclined to go along with this idea of it being a sort of residual occurence - almost like a recording of an event that gets played back - for no apparent reason. (sorry! I know this sounds a bit ridiculous but hey!)

I think you said earlier in your post that you know the previous owners of the house. It would be interesting to ask them about it if the opportunity arises. See if they've experienced anything like it - or even if they remember something real happening that resembles in some way what you heard.

Interesting to see how many people have experienced similar btw - even in the replies to your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭keithc83

meryem wrote: »
    I am not dismissing it completely by saying that. It is just one of the possibility in my view. It can be some random act of roaming spirit still looking for peace of mind like most do.

I never meant that you dismissed it but without being there all anyone can do is assume what happened. The only one who knows what actually did happen is the person there at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rum_runner_rob

This same thing happened to me last night at 9:30. My wife was trying to lock our front door. It takes a few good hip pushes to get the dead bolt over. At the same time I heard something fall and glass breaking. My daughter was in her bedroom and came out asking what fell and broke! We searched the entire house. Every window pane, every place where there are glasses. Nothing. We went outside and checked around, nothing. Looked around at our neighbors windows and found nothing.
    Mystery goes on!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement