Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road closed in Carpenterstown today?

Options
  • 25-08-2009 6:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭

What's it all about? Just up behind the big green by the shops / Spar. What's going on? Gardai seem to have the road closed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

When I was driving home I heard that Diswellstown Road was closed due to a collision. Could that be it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

I guess that could be it. I just thought maybe it was a little more than that as they had the road closed signs out and there seemed to be enough spare Gardai standing around directing traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭N_Raid

Word is an 11 year old girl was hit by a bus and killed. Hope its something as simple as a collision tho

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I did hear elsewhere from a friend who works in Connolly Hospital that an 11 year old girl died in A&E this evening. No idea if it's connected to this though.

11 year old and a car.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0825/rta.html

That's my curiosity answered now anyway :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭iMADEtheBBC

Unfortunately it was an 11-year old girl who was hit by a car.

I know more details but it would be inappropriate to discuss or speculate.

I had left work early and had to go around Riverwood to get to my home which is near the scene of the accident.

It's an absolute tragedy for the family of the girl and the driver of the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Lolly111

that is soooo awful just read on rte there ... i walked past it yesterday on my way home and the gardai were there. just tragic.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭dirtynosebeps

Unfortunately it was an 11-year old girl who was hit by a car.

I know more details but it would be inappropriate to discuss or speculate.

I had left work early and had to go around Riverwood to get to my home which is near the scene of the accident.

It's an absolute tragedy for the family of the girl and the driver of the car.
    i agree it is unfortunate that the poor kid was killed ,but in saying it was only a matter of time before something like this happened. that road is nothing more than a race track. i've seen it lots of times and any time theres a speed check , what to people do. they flash all the other motorists of course who in turn reduce speed. why do they reduce speed, because they're speeding. if you stick to the speed limit you wont have to reduce speed when theres a speed check.
    now hopefully something will be done to make that road alot safer.
    before anyone rips me apart.
    i've seen the following things happen on an hourly basis.
    drivers constantly overtaking on the continous white lines.
    vehicles constantly going through the red pedestrian lights.
    R.I.P.
    damn what a wate of a young life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Frogy

I urge everyone to please get in touch with all the political reps in the Castleknock/Carpenterstown area. The Diswellstown road was an accident
    waiting to happen. Everyone in the area has so much sympathy for the family involved. It really could have happened to the many,many children that live in the area.

We need ramps on that road. It is the only thing that will slow down the
    drivers. Drivers go through the red pedestrian lights there all the time. I have seen it on at least 3 occasions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Lightnessalways

I so agree with you! I am sick to death of writing, calling and complaining to Fingal Co.Co., Gardai, Local politicians to get their fingers out and do something about this road and the race track that it has turned into. Time and time again they were warned that something awful like this would happen and frankly the frightening thing is, is that this will happen again.!

The gloves are now off!! we have to take action and it is up to each individual to hassle, call, write, email whatever it takes to make sure that no other family have to have a tragedy like this one visited upon them. One person can make a difference, it is all fine and very well discussing this on forums like this..but if you don't follow it up, we will only have ourselves to blame, I personally will be knocking on doors in the next couple of weeks to have petitions signed demanding that they traffic calm this road! and all help would be much appreciated as I am sure there are some of you on this forum that live locally and in the different estates. Please don't let Quinn's family tradgey be forgotten. God Bless Càit and may you rest in peace.
    Frogy wrote: »
    I urge everyone to please get in touch with all the political reps in the Castleknock/Carpenterstown area. The Diswellstown road was an accident
    waiting to happen. Everyone in the area has so much sympathy for the family involved. It really could have happened to the many,many children that live in the area.

We need ramps on that road. It is the only thing that will slow down the
    drivers. Drivers go through the red pedestrian lights there all the time. I have seen it on at least 3 occasions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

This is indeed a tragic incident and I really feel for the family.

Was this incident as a result of speeding? If not, please don't misrepresent it to solve a different problem.
    Frogy wrote: »
    We need ramps on that road. It is the only thing that will slow down the drivers. Drivers go through the red pedestrian lights there all the time. I have seen it on at least 3 occasions.
    I live off the Riverwood road and I can tell you that ramps do NOT slow drivers down.
    Ramps won't stop people going through red lights. We need enforcement!

FCC traffic measurements for Diswellstown Road show that the average speed is 55 km/h, though I am sure that we have all seen that it's not as wonderful as that.
    Most of those I have seen speeding are not the often blamed 'boy racer' but in fact they are parents with children in the back, the parents who will likely lead the call for ramps.
    Do boy racers park on the double yellow lines (and continuous white line) around St Patrick's School? Do boy racers cause mayhem at St Mochta's and provoke FCC to install a sign about parking on the footpath?

I hate ramps. I don't speed (it is hard to even exceed 30km/h on my bicycle) but I am punished because some do and the Gardai choose to fail to perform their job.
    I lived in California for 5 years and never saw a speed ramp. In fact I have only ever seen one set of speed ramps in America - in Long Island. Why is that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Frogy

I also lived in the states for a number of years and for the most part the driving is very good. People give right of way at 4-way stop signs and keep to the 25mph in built up areas. people in Ireland are dreadful drivers. Everyone thinks they own the road and speeding is seen as the norm! I have rarely seen anyone being pulled over for speeding. The speed limit on that road is 50kph and even when I am going at 50 I have someone up my backside getting pissed off.

I do not know the answer to the speeding on the road. Its a straight road and I think people go into a trance on it. Maybe have more pedestrain lights along the route? Maybe have ramps on either side of the lights? Maybe rumble strips leading to the lights so drivers are aware they exist?

Dont even get me started on the parking at St Patricks! I called the guards 3 days in a row asking that they have someone there at 2:oopm to see the cars parked at the round-a-bout but never saw a guard.

daymobrew wrote: »
    This is indeed a tragic incident and I really feel for the family.

Was this incident as a result of speeding? If not, please don't misrepresent it to solve a different problem.

I live off the Riverwood road and I can tell you that ramps do NOT slow drivers down.
    Ramps won't stop people going through red lights. We need enforcement!

FCC traffic measurements for Diswellstown Road show that the average speed is 55 km/h, though I am sure that we have all seen that it's not as wonderful as that.
    Most of those I have seen speeding are not the often blamed 'boy racer' but in fact they are parents with children in the back, the parents who will likely lead the call for ramps.
    Do boy racers park on the double yellow lines (and continuous white line) around St Patrick's School? Do boy racers cause mayhem at St Mochta's and provoke FCC to install a sign about parking on the footpath?

I hate ramps. I don't speed (it is hard to even exceed 30km/h on my bicycle) but I am punished because some do and the Gardai choose to fail to perform their job.
    I lived in California for 5 years and never saw a speed ramp. In fact I have only ever seen one set of speed ramps in America - in Long Island. Why is that?

I agree with you on the traffic lights issue I have seen many motorists drive straight through the lights with no intention of stopping and many motorists driving with the children in the back of the car with total disregard for themselves, their children and other motorist and pedestrians using the Diswellstowon road. I live facing out onto the Diswellstown road in the estate that that little girl's family live in and I can tell you quiet clearly that the simple fact is, is that there is a large majority of people responsible for the speeding on the Diswellstown Road, and speeding kills! the fact of the matter as it is a matter for the Gardai to determine where speed was a factor, the bus lay by is also a factor in this and regardless of the circumstances of what happened on Tuesday and if there is someone to blame, a child has died needlessly on our road and that is unacceptable and horrific.

Parents parking on the Diswellstown Road for the school drop have a lot to answer for too along with FCC for failing to provide proper parking facilities for parents. I could go on and on and on!! Our lives have been made a misery!! and it is all about to kick off again! parking on double yellows, ignoring the yellow boxs, parking on the roundabout. (People parking iwth their flashing hazzard lights seem to think that makes it okay!) Overtaking on a continuous white line.... parking on both sides of the Diswellstown Road, just total disrespect for residents! and I have to say I have seen parents that live in and around local estates drive their children to school rather that walk a couple of hunderd metres. It beggars belief!

Unfortunately we don't live in a society where we could have traffic cop on each corner enforcing the law and while FCC traffic measurements for Diswellstown Road show that the average speed is 55 km/h,!! I know that that is far from the truth!the average speed on that road is in excess of 70km/m and bear in mind that those speed readers are also incorrectly calibrated they actually under estimate the speed by at least 5km/m and if I am correct that traffic survey was carried out nearly two years ago during the holidays...I may stand corrected on that point however, And finally no disrespect to you but there are cycle lanes on both sides and the entire length of the Diswellstown Road for the safety of cyclists, however many cyclist chose to ignore these purposely provided cycle lanes and cyclist on the main road
    putting themselves and motorists in danger! you might reconsider cycling on the main road and use the provided cycle lines instead keeping both yourself and other safe from harm.

if I am correct that traffic survey was carried out nearly two years ago during the holidays...I may stand corrected on that point however
    The survey was done in March 2008 and December 2008. (per Community Voice article).
    And finally no disrespect to you but there are cycle lanes on both sides and the entire length of the Diswellstown Road for the safety of cyclists, however many cyclist chose to ignore these purposely provided cycle lanes and cyclist on the main road putting themselves and motorists in danger! you might reconsider cycling on the main road and use the provided cycle lines instead keeping both yourself and other safe from harm.
    Off road shared ped/cycle tracks are a danger to peds (many peds exclusively walk in the cycle side) and an inconvenience to cyclists who have to stop every few 100m - imagine having to do that in a car! They are ideal for those going at a slow speed and those not comfortable on the road. I am neither.
    BTW, how are motorists in danger from soft cyclists?

Anyway, I will continue my pointless reporting of dangerous driving to TrafficWatch (1890-205-805) and other calls for enforcement - we have tons of laws!

We don't need ramps. Please not more ramps. They don't solve anything.

While I hate them one big visible speed camera would help sort out the issue. Alternatively sort out the bus locations.

daymobrew wrote: »
    The survey was done in March 2008 and December 2008. (per Community Voice article).

It is now August 2009..closer to the two year mark when the March survey was done and the schools were on mid term when it was carried out....and as for the December survey...well....chances were..schools were off...then too, but that is besides the point and as you appear to live in the area you will no doubt have noticed that the volume of traffic has more then doubled and continues to grow on a daily basis since either of these surveys were carried out.

Off road shared ped/cycle tracks are a danger to peds (many peds exclusively walk in the cycle side) and an inconvenience to cyclists who have to stop every few 100m - imagine having to do that in a car! They are ideal for those going at a slow speed and those not comfortable on the road. I am neither.

Don't you have a bell on your bike??? or is that uncool? Your reasoning is a bit of a cop out! big difference between a car and a bicycle don't you think?? cycle lanes are there to protect you the cyclist from Motorists! and to protect the Motorist from irresponsible cyclists of which there are a great many of...no helmets..no lights on bikes..no high vis jackets etc... no hand signals..cycling...and using mobiles... cycling no hands.... and when a cyclist gets hit by a car...well it the motorists fault...

BTW, how are motorists in danger from soft cyclists? .......There in danger from soft cyclists for all of the above reasons! and then some!

Anyway, I will continue my pointless reporting of dangerous driving to TrafficWatch (1890-205-805) and other calls for enforcement - we have tons of laws!

All that said, please do continue to report the dangerous driving to the Gardai as I do on an almost daily basis because this is our community and we as a community need to pull together and not let another child die as a result of us all sitting back and doing nothing.

Take care and maybe you will reconsider using the cycle lanes as they were put there for your safety!;)

Random wrote: »
    Alternatively sort out the bus locations.
    this only plays a very small part in what goes on ,it's not worth even bothering about. the buses going up that road actually slow the traffic down. by pulling in and out of stops. if there were no buses at all imagine what it would be like.from what i can gather speed was a major factor in this. if this is true bus or no bus the end would've still been the same.
    please take it from one that uses the road constantly.
    one day i was driving up that way. i got flashed to slow down not that i was speeding anyway but where was the speed check located, behind a bus in the lay-by thats where and i doubt if anyone was caught.

It is now August 2009..closer to the two year mark when the March survey was done and the schools were on mid term break when it was carried out....even at that look at the number of cars mentioned and that was not done over a week! and as for the December survey...well.....schools were off...then too, but that is besides the point and as you appear to live in the area you will no doubt have noticed that the volume of traffic has more then doubled and continues to grow on a daily basis since either of these surveys were carried out.

Don't you have a bell on your bike??? or is that uncool? Your reasoning is a bit of a cop out! big difference between a car and a bicycle don't you think?? cycle lanes are there to protect you the cyclist from Motorists! and to protect the Motorist from irresponsible cyclists of which there are a great many of...no helmets..no lights on bikes..no high vis jackets etc... no hand signals..cycling...and using mobiles... cycling no hands....no bell on their bikes and when a cyclist gets hit by a car...well it the motorists fault...

There in danger from soft cyclists for all of the above reasons! and then some!;)

All that said, please do continue to report the dangerous driving to the Gardai it is important. I do on an almost daily basis because this is our community and we as a community need to pull together and not let another child die as a result of us all sitting back and doing nothing! we all have to play our part! It's all fine and very well sitting here and posting on forums such as this..but that is not going to change anything! action is what is required and the gloves need to come off!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Take care and maybe you will reconsider using the cycle lanes as they were put there for your safety!;)

Have you ever tried cycling on the cycle lanes in question or are you just talking out your arse? Shared ped/bicycle tracks are unsuitable for purpose and this has even been admitted in the recent Government document on cycling in Ireland along with a proposal to make their usage strictly optional for cyclists.
    Don't you have a bell on your bike??? or is that uncool? Your reasoning is a bit of a cop out! big difference between a car and a bicycle don't you think?? cycle lanes are there to protect you the cyclist from Motorists! and to protect the Motorist from irresponsible cyclists of which there are a great many of...no helmets..

I know "motorists" have this preoccupation with cyclists wearing helmets for some reason but to suggest that motorists are somehow "in danger" from lidless cyclists is ludricous
    no lights on bikes..

There are laws for this already. No need to ban all cyclists from the roads because of a few lawbreakers
    no high vis jackets etc...

Just because you happen to have spotted a few people cycling to work in builder's vests doesn't mean they're mandatory
    no hand signals..

Maybe taxi drivers should use the footpath too in that case
    cycling...

*Gasp*
    and using mobiles...

Should we send every driver using a mobile onto the footpath? Better that they mow down a pedestrian rather than get in your way right?
    cycling no hands....

A few teenagers messing around on some bikes they nicked from the local supermarket are hardly representative of the general cycling population.
    no bell on their bikes and when a cyclist gets hit by a car...well it the motorists fault...

Because the cyclist was supposed to ward off motorists with a bell?

Your little rant still doesn't explain why daymobrew should have to cycle on the footpath mowing down pedestrians rather than cycling on the road with all the other traffic.

If anything, the cyclists make the road safer for everyone as they're the one thing forcing drivers to actually slow down and be careful. The off-road cycle "facilities" are about facilitating rat race driving rather than road safety.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Stark wrote: »
    Have you ever tried cycling on the cycle lanes in question or are you just talking out your arse? Shared ped/bicycle tracks are unsuitable for purpose and this has even been admitted in the recent Government document on cycling in Ireland along with a proposal to make their usage strictly optional for cyclists.

*As a matter of fact I have! and considering the speed that's reached on this road my point is..it is a safer option for the cyclist! not the motorist!*

I know "motorists" have this preoccupation with cyclists wearing helmets for some reason but to suggest that motorists are somehow "in danger" from lidless cyclists is ludricous

* I think you should re-read my post! why have you got such an issue with the wearing of helmet! again it is for the safety of the cyclist! NOT THE MOTORIST! Helmets save lives! FACT! It might just come as a surprise to you.. but there are also idiot motorists out there too!!*

There are laws for this already. No need to ban all cyclists from the roads because of a few lawbreakers

*Where did I mention or even suggest ban all cyclists from the roads!!!..*

Just because you happen to have spotted a few people cycling to work in builder's vests doesn't mean they're mandatory

*GASP!!!* Grow up! for christ sake! High vis JACKETS OR WHATEVER Form of high vis SHOULD BE MANDATORY!! do you want me to explain why!!! *

* Just how childish are you!! that is a ridiculous statement to make*

Should we send every driver using a mobile onto the footpath? Better that they mow down a pedestrian rather than get in your way right?

* What...all cyclists are above the law!!! YOUR TALKING CRAP AGAIN!*

A few teenagers messing around on some bikes they nicked from the local supermarket are hardly representative of the general cycling population.

* Again..where have I made reference to teenagers nicking bikes????? I never said ALL CYCLISTS ARE A PROBLEM!!*

Because the cyclist was supposed to ward off motorists with a bell?

* EHHHH NO! Again... read my post! *

Your little rant still doesn't explain why daymobrew should have to cycle on the footpath mowing down pedestrians rather than cycling on the road with all the other traffic.

* You need to learn the difference as to what is a rant and what is an observation!! although, your's would constitute as a Rant!*

If anything, the cyclists make the road safer for everyone as they're the one thing forcing drivers to actually slow down and be careful. The off-road cycle "facilities" are about facilitating rat race driving rather than road safety.

* Maybe in some instance's this is the case , But Cyclists don't always make the road safer for everyone! not even themselves!

Least you forget the original reason for this thread, It was the fact that an 11 year old little girl called Caìt Quinn died needlessly on the Diswellstown Road on Tuesday. This issue was not all about Cyclists! it was about the dangers this road presents and the hope that no other child or adult have to lose their life on this road and one would hope that everyone else be they a Cyclist, Motorist or Pedestrian work toward keeps themselves safe and not but themselves or other road/footpath users in danger!

• Advertisement

It is now August 2009..closer to the two year mark when the March survey was done and the schools were on mid term break when it was carried out....even at that look at the number of cars mentioned and that was not done over a week! and as for the December survey...well.....schools were off...then too, but that is besides the point and as you appear to live in the area you will no doubt have noticed that the volume of traffic has more then doubled and continues to grow on a daily basis since either of these surveys were carried out.
    The article doesn't list the dates nor the length of the survey so I don't know how you came to your conclusions. The numbers are per-day. I will ask the guy I got the data from for the survey dates.
    Don't you have a bell on your bike??? or is that uncool? Your reasoning is a bit of a cop out! big difference between a car and a bicycle don't you think?? cycle lanes are there to protect you the cyclist from Motorists! and to protect the Motorist from irresponsible cyclists of which there are a great many of...no helmets..no lights on bikes..no high vis jackets etc... no hand signals..cycling...and using mobiles... cycling no hands....no bell on their bikes and when a cyclist gets hit by a car...well it the motorists fault...
    I have a bell, helmet (been wearing helmets since 1993), hi-viz gear (my backpack cover) and a mirror. I'm happy to be uncool and dorky.

We are going to have to agree to disagree on off-road cycle tracks.

FYI: A fellow cyclist records cyclist fatalities on his web site.
    All that said, please do continue to report the dangerous driving to the Gardai it is important. I do on an almost daily basis because this is our community and we as a community need to pull together and not let another child die as a result of us all sitting back and doing nothing! we all have to play our part! It's all fine and very well sitting here and posting on forums such as this..but that is not going to change anything! action is what is required and the gloves need to come off!:mad:
    I list 129 TW reports on my site (and it is not up to date). The most depressing info is at the bottom - Gardai have only contacted me about 40% of the reports!

At this stage I do not know whether speeding was a factor in this incident, but I agree that we do need to tackle the speeding issue.

If someone has a video camera I would be happy to assist with recording speeding and providing the footage to the Gardai.

however many cyclist chose to ignore these purposely provided cycle lanes and cyclist on the main road
    putting themselves and motorists in danger!

*As a matter of fact I have! and considering the speed that's reached on this road my point is..it is a safer option for the cyclist! not the motorist!*

What about the pedestrians using the footpath? It's not all about not putting the motorist in danger of slowing down.

* I think you should re-read my post! why have you got such an issue with the wearing of helmet!*

Your claim was that motorists should be protected from cyclists not wearing helmets by clearing them off the road. Helmets are not mandatory and any evidence that they reduce injuries when it comes to urban cycling are dubious at best. Mandatory helmet laws in Australia and New Zealand were a spectacular failure (from a cycling safety point of view, they were a success from your getting the cyclists off the road point of view).

* Just how childish are you!! that is a ridiculous statement to make*

As ridiculous as saying cyclists should use the footpath because you happened to see a cyclist using a mobile once or twice?
    * What...all cyclists are above the law!!! YOUR TALKING CRAP AGAIN!*

No. But motorists also use mobiles while driving and you're not calling for them to be removed from the road and forced to drive on the footpaths as opposed to dealing with the issue itself are you?
    *GASP!!!* Grow up! for christ sake! High vis JACKETS OR WHATEVER Form of high vis SHOULD BE MANDATORY!! do you want me to explain why!!! *

To discourage more people from cycling?
    * Again..where have I made reference to teenagers nicking bikes????? I never said ALL CYCLISTS ARE A PROBLEM!!*

You said that cyclists should be segregated from motorists to protect motorists from cyclists riding without hands.
    and when a cyclist gets hit by a car...well it the motorists fault...

No-one is forcing the motorist to hit the cyclist. If the motorist drove at a reasonable speed, he/she would be able to react to cyclists and children on the road. It might take them a little longer to get to work but sacrifices have to be made when it comes to personal behaviour if we're serious about safety on the roads.
    Least you forget the original reason for this thread, It was the fact that an 11 year old little girl called Caìt Quinn died needlessly on the Diswellstown Road on Tuesday. This issue was not all about Cyclists!

I haven't forgotten the original reason for the thread. Your little tangent has beautifully exposed the blatant hypocrisy that is at the heart of the attitudes of some drivers such as yourself. You're all about preaching road safety but at the end of the day, you don't want anyone or anything getting in your way and forcing you to break your stride and pay attention to the road. Studies show that the overall number of road accidents involving cyclists decreases not increases as greater numbers of cyclists take to the roads due to improved driver behaviour. Improved behaviour which also leads to fewer accidents like in the case of the little girl that you shed crocodile tears for.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Hi Daymobrew,

I really do appreciate your thread and I hope I haven't come off as a......well you know!. When you mentioned the months the Survey took place I remembered noting how convenient it was for them doing the survey and myself and my partners talked about how ridiculous it was doing this when the schools were on mid term, again!!.. But, Well you know how Fingal Co. Co. act. I may stand corrected but it is sticking in my mind and I would lay a bet that the number of cars have more doubled since it was carried out,what do you think?

I accept that we may have to agree to disagree about the cycle lanes but safety is what I'm trying to get at here and I'm not falling out with you over that! you obviously take your safety as paramount.. and I am not being patronising here, I just wish there were more like you, seriously, I wonder sometimes do people realise just how difficult it is to see a cyclist even pedrestrians on the road sometimes especially on the dark winter nights when they are wearing dark clothes. You have to keep yourself safe from Motorists who have no respect for you and your rights as a cyclist.

I have been tempted on more then one occassion to photograph the speeds being caught on the speed reader..I don't have a camcorder.. but a few of us have been discussing the same idea! so who knows! we do want to get a petition up and running in the next couple of weeks, its just a bit too soon after what has happened, maybe you might like to give a dig out? I don't know which estate you are in but maybe you might consider getting your neighbours to sign a petition looking for traffic calming to be introduced as a priority on the Diswellstown road.

If there were more of us in touch and quiet obviously feel the same way then maybe we really could acheive something here? As I always feel that Fingal Co. Co. like to give the impression that it is only ever one or two individuals making complaints about the road and from the amount of people I have spoken too over the last few days it would appear to me that that is not the case, so..... would you be in agreement that it would make more sense if we were all aware of each other and act as a large group of people and not just individuals. I would appreciate your thoughts on this. We are also considering a possible protest/vigil on the Diswellstown Road at a later stage so we really would need all the support we can get.

I am very interested in your reports and I am not in the least bit surprised at the amount of complaints you have lodged with regards to incidents in the local area, I have lost count of the amount of times I have called the Gardai so you are not on your own but please do keep it up and continue to keep a record it could come in extermely useful to prove our point.

In the meantime have a good one! and thanks for replying. :)

Well at least I responded to the points you made and didn't have to resort to name-calling and rolling of eyes.

I think the big question I have to ask is, which is more important to you? Protecting motorists from irresponsible cyclists or forcing motorists to reduce their speeds and drive attentively?

folks we're getting away from the topic. at the end of the day a kid needlessly lost her life on a dangerous stretch of road. there were no cyclists involved. mind you they could show a bit of courtesy on another issue which i'm not going to debate.
    the point is she was killed by someone who was supposedly speeding.
    now we need a solution to this and we need it fast.
    speed ramps definately.
    speed check, no they're not worth a curse. every joe soap incl your neighbours i suspect warns other drivers of the check ahead.
    a fixed speed camera maybe.
    but the saddest thing of all will be our local elected representatives jumping on the band wagon here ,when in fact they had the powers ages ago to get this thing sorted.
    sorry light just read your post after posting my own.

I really do appreciate your thread and I hope I haven't come off as a......well you know!.
    You are discussing the issues with me calmly so there is no problem.
    I would lay a bet that the number of cars have more doubled since it was carried out,what do you think?
    I don't know the volumes. I wouldn't trust anecdotal counting, not even my own.
    I wonder sometimes do people realise just how difficult it is to see a cyclist even pedrestrians on the road sometimes especially on the dark winter nights when they are wearing dark clothes.
    Yes dark clothes on dark nights are difficult to see - though some people have difficulty seeing brightly lit peds and cyclists in broad daylight - the driver has to look in order to see and many are zoned out or distracted.
    maybe you might consider getting your neighbours to sign a petition looking for traffic calming to be introduced as a priority on the Diswellstown road.
    As I said early in the thread, I oppose ramps so I will not be offering to support such a petition.
    We are also considering a possible protest/vigil on the Diswellstown Road at a later stage so we really would need all the support we can get.
    I am interested in hearing about any such plans.

Stark wrote: »
    Well at least I responded to the points you made and didn't have to resort to name-calling and rolling of eyes.

I think the big question I have to ask is, which is more important to you? Protecting motorists from irresponsible cyclists or forcing motorists to reduce their speeds and drive attentively?

Do you know what Stark,

I am going to be the bigger person here and apologise for calling you a twit. It was uncalled for and out of line and I take it back, I really shouldn't have taken the bait, However you have taken a lot, in fact most of my Comments totally out of context and totally mis quoted me. It would appear that you seem to think I was wholly on the motorists side which is so not the case! If you read my original posts, I really didn't think that I would have to bang on about just how irresponsible a lot of motorists are..it goes without saying, you can see it on the roads every single day and I am sure we could sit here all night swapping horror stories.

Having said that you are entitled to your opinion as I am to mine.

However this thread got totally off side and deviated away from the real issue here and this was not what my original post was about. My post was about the fact that little Càit Quinn aged 11 had been killed not far from my hall door and the total devastation the Quinn family are having to go through and the onging issues that we have with the Diswellstown Road being a factor in all this, part of that being driver/ped/cyclist behaviour.

I am not getting into a tit for tat with you over this. It is time to put this to bed and move on, it is not worth it! again I apologise for my words.

folks we're getting away from the topic. at the end of the day a kid needlessly lost her life on a dangerous stretch of road. there were no cyclists involved. mind you they could show a bit of courtesy on another issue which i'm not going to debate.
    the point is she was killed by someone who was supposedly speeding.
    now we need a solution to this and we need it fast.
    speed ramps definately.
    speed check, no they're not worth a curse. every joe soap inl your neighbours i suspect warns other drivers of the check ahead.
    a fixed speed camera maybe.
    but the saddest thing of all will be our local elected representatives jumping on the band wagon here ,when in fact they had the powers ages ago to get this thing sorted.
    sorry light just read your post after posting my own.

I agree with you on all counts. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Terrible tragedy. Thats all I can say about that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The lack of enforcement of the speeding issue has been an issue for years. Ramps will destroy your cars suspension. I hate them. I dunno if speed check's don't work, or camera I never see any. Speeding is a daily occurance especially at peak times.

Likewise Bus parking has a problem for years. Especially at the terminus. 3 or 4 buses parking in a continuous line. People just bully their way into oncoming traffic. Dangerous driving thats allowed through lack of enforcement.

The cycle lanes are unsuitable for commuting cyclists. They are badly constructed with rippled tarmac which shakes you to bits, then you get poked in the eye by the low hanging branches which aren't cut back. They start and stop for no reason. All the pedistrians ignore that its a cycle lane. If you think they are suitable, then you can't possibly cycle on them. Fine for kids or moms with buggys. Thats all.

Theres no continuous cycle lane from D.15 into the Phonenix park, or into St Patricks school either. Useful Cycle lanes that don't go anywhere. It should be on the road and continuous all the way to the park, or O'connell bridge tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭jape

To be perfectly honest, unless someone has exact details of this accident, then you are all talking rubbish by recommending speed ramps, etc. How do you know the driver was speeding at all? How do you know he didn't run a red light? Or something else?

Advertisement