Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DLNA TV? Some knowledge needed!

Options
  • 25-08-2009 4:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

I am about to purchase a new TV. One requirement I am after is DLNA. I want to be able to watch video stored on my PC directly on my TV, without the need for a separate box like a media center device (PS3 or XBox).

Most new TVs now are DLNA enabled but what I want to start a discussion on is "Does DLNA work?"

Does anyone out there have a DLNA TV? Have they been able to watch TV from their PC? Any good advice or things to watch out for.

The TV I'm thinking about getting is a Philips 8000 Series. Its spec look great but I would like to hear what you say before I buy it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Mine (philips pfl9603) does, although there are better media player devices that support more formats such as the ps3.

I posted in a thread somewhere in these sections which seems to have disappeared which outlined my setup - but it basically involves a NAS and a ps3.

The TV will play mp3/mpeg2/jpg etc but I only use it for photos.

The NAS does a better job at streaming photos to the TV and audio to the ps3 to the amp.

*edit:
    Just read the spec for supported file formats on the new series and sounds like a cracking box all right. should do exactly what the ps3 does for me. The only down side (for me anyway) would be the fact that you have to listen to your movies/music through the TV speakers, and I didn't spend all that money on my Sound system to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭jackdoes

Your TV is very similar to the one I'm looking at. Do you think it would work without the NAS and PS3? Could you try it? I hear Media Player and Twonky can play direct from PC to a DLNA tv.

I was going to go for a NAS too but when i saw this a light buld turned on.

I have spent years filling my place up with crap. I am now going to try and keep the same level of gadgetness but with minimal clutter.

jackdoes wrote: »
    Do you think it would work without the NAS and PS3? Could you try it? I hear Media Player and Twonky can play direct from PC to a DLNA tv.

Sounds like your PC is acting like my NAS. Twonky is good, but you have to buy it. There are (free) linux equivalents (mediamonkey) but Windows Media Player is a DLNA server.

If it can stream it in a format your TV can decode it then happy days, that's the idea of DLNA.

If that's the TV you want then go for it, I'm delighted with the 9603. Cant fault the features or quality in any respect. Have you seen them in a shop or are you buying online?

Just got my dlna enabled philips 8000.

All works great. Can download and store media on pc and then browes and watch on my tv.

No need for extra hardware :)

If anyone has any questions about this feel free to ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I haven't tried DLNA on my Philips 9000 yet, I should try it, wasn't too successful with my DVD player in the past, although that was an early model with the technology, videos never played properly, went slow and jerky after a few minutes.

BopNiblets wrote: »
    I haven't tried DLNA on my Philips 9000 yet, I should try it, wasn't too successful with my DVD player in the past, although that was an early model with the technology, videos never played properly, went slow and jerky after a few minutes.

It works quite well now.

jackdoes wrote: »
    Just got my dlna enabled philips 8000.
    cool!

best of luck with it. like I said, I'm very impressed with the quality of the tv for all applications thrown at it from composite to BR.

Advertisement