Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chocolate just out of date

Options
  • 25-08-2009 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭

In the Londis on Clanbrassil Street - got a box of 48 Cream Eggs for 99 cent and a box of Malteasers (40 bags) for €3.99! Both have Best Before July 09 so should still be fine. They had loads of other boxes like Wispa, walnut whip etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

If they had boxes of Wispa Gold, would you eat it? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

faigs wrote: »
    got a box of 48 Cream Eggs for 99 cent
    :eek: thing is I would buy them saying "right, 1 a day as a treat", and demolish the lot in one sitting...

Always f*cking happens when I bulk buy sweets :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

The only deal for out of date goods is free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

not thing wrong with them id be back down getting loads more ( and see if the got any xxx shirts in, for after the munch out)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭snowy2008

hey,. are you going down at lunchtime? will you let me knwo if theres still some left and i might pop in after work ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Why don't they ever have these deals where I live? :(

I'm starving now, brilliant find OP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

APM wrote: »
    The only deal for out of date goods is free

Shows what you know. A BEST BEFORE DATE means just that, BEST BEFORE, it doesnt mean there is anything wrong with them afterwards.

Environmental health guidelines say as long as its not cream or meat, they are fine.

Use by date is a different matter.....

Now you know.

A retailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭akadesign

WARNING:
    Chocolate can make your clothes shrink.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭ADTR

Anybody know if this offer is on in any other Londis stores?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭epopnomis

Great find, just in there, picked up creme eggs, caramel eggs and box of moros for 3 quid, can't say fairer than that, think the moros were 3.99 but the guy at the till didn't seem to care.... Still gud bit left....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

The cream eggs are out of date since July 08.....Get some toilet roll while your there....Loads of kids were going in lugging the boxes out....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

mad m wrote: »
    The cream eggs are out of date since July 08.....Get some toilet roll while your there....Loads of kids were going in lugging the boxes out....:D

LOL :D for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

mad m wrote: »

Not the box I got - they were July 09. I did see a box at the top of the pile with a July 08 date though.

I haven't been down there since last night so sorry I can't say what's left.

Just sampled them both and they're perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fol20

I was talking to chocolate rep one day(wont mention what company),and basically he said that chocolate is ok to eat up to year after the expiry date..By law they take it off shelves but youd never know what other ways they use to sell expired chocolate;)..

Dont take it as gospel but you know what i mean

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Where on Clanbrassil St is it? I drove down it and could only see a Mace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Fol20 wrote: »
    I was talking to chocolate rep one day(wont mention what company),and basically he said that chocolate is ok to eat up to year after the expiry date..By law they take it off shelves but youd never know what other ways they use to sell expired chocolate;)..

Anyone remember Cadbury's Fuse?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I was talking to chocolate rep one day(wont mention what company),and basically he said that chocolate is ok to eat up to year after the expiry date
    I would gladly eat it even after that. What usually happens is it gets that weird white residue on it, which is safe to eat. Also many BB dates are really about the branding, they do not want shops with old labels on bars or tinned food. 20 years ago I never saw BB on tinned food, it lasts in definitely. AFAIK there is no visible BB on a creme egg itself so I expect many sold are old anyway! Shops can stockpile when cheap. Some stuff like creme eggs might dry out a little over time though.
    Onikage wrote: »
    Anyone remember Cadbury's Fuse?
    Recent thread on it here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055650415

€2 shops are good for cheap bars, I got 10 creme eggs for €1 a while back

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭flanno

Score! Box of 24 bags of Mini Creme Eggs for 99c. Dated July 09.

I did see that June 08 box though as well.
    I think they keep putting it back on top of the pile, hoping someone will take it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭snowy2008

i bought two boxed of caburys eggs last night, and they have boxes of flakes, mars and snickers bars and wispas too, i think i might go back for more!!!! my nephews birthday is coming up soon!

• Advertisement

bazwaldo wrote: »
    Where on Clanbrassil St is it? I drove down it and could only see a Mace.

Head on down towards St Patrick's Cathedral - its on the left before you come to the junction with Kevin Street. Maybe it's technically New Street South?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

teresa2008 wrote: »
    i bought two boxed of caburys eggs last night, and they have boxes of flakes, mars and snickers bars and wispas too, i think i might go back for more!!!! my nephews birthday is coming up soon!

what? you dont like him or something? "what did auntie Teresa2008 give you for your birthday jimmy?" "the runs" :D

(only joking. from my own experience chocolate is one of those things with a half life instead of a shelf life and the stuff inside cream eggs could outlast the cockroaches...)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Drop everything I'm off to Londis, Clanbrassil Street. I love just out of date chocolate! :rolleyes:

Oracle wrote: »
    Drop everything I'm off to Londis, Clanbrassil Street. I love just out of date chocolate! :rolleyes:

Jeez maybe I should have just kept it to myself then? Just thought some people might be interested! Its only a month past its best before.So don't roll your eyes at me! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

I have heard something like this before too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

faigs wrote: »
    Jeez maybe I should have just kept it to myself then? Just thought some people might be interested! Its only a month past its best before.So don't roll your eyes at me! :mad:

Sorry, only kidding, don't mind me, 'tis a great bargain alert. I'm just jealous I can't get to Clanbrassil Street. :D

128957763846864100.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭jaydigity

The farmers mart in Kilkenny has a shop which also always seems to have stuff a few days out of date. It's well worth a look, nothing like 99c for that many creme eggs, but significant reductions anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭smilgy

I've sent my dad on a mission to find some of this awesome chocolate! Will report back with results.

Advertisement