Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wearing helmets while cycling?

Options
  • 25-08-2009 1:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭

Didn't post this in the cycling forum as I was looking for a more general opinion. Do ye wear helmets when you're riding a bike? I'm the only person out of my group of friends who wears one, and its pretty rare I see someone who isn't on some serious racing bike wearing one. Always was forced to wear one growing up and still feel uncomfortable on a bike without one.

Do you wear a helmet while cycling? 158 votes

Always
    0% 0 votes
    Sometimes
    27% 44 votes
    Never
    17% 28 votes
    I don't have a bike
    54% 86 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Do ye wear helmets when you're riding a bike?

Normally just use a condom.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

TheZohan wrote: »
    Normally just use a condom.
    Sad admission man, and I'm not talking about the condom.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I did wear a helmet when I cycled but I saved up enough to buy a car and got rid of the bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Yeah I always wear it. Mostly when I cycle I'm going somewhere far and perilous so wearing not wearing a helmet is just as risky as not wearing a seatbelt. A friend of mine fell off his bike and his helmet actually fractured from the impact but he was alright, but it could've been his skull. SO kids, put on your helmet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I do sometimes. I have not used it in a while. I will in the winter when the ground stays wetter for longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

Gots ta have your brain bucket on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

its dorky, i hate wearing them and seldom do

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Haven't been on a bike in years. But never did.

Hmmm.. Prob 15 years since I last got on a saddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 s. lacker

Never wore a helmet while cycling. Fell of my bike a couple of times around dublin, lost 4 of my front teeth the last time, should really wear a gum guard aswell as a helmet!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Always.

Any parent that lets their kid on a bike without one should be jailed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 jokerrus

We dont really know what helmets are . I swear. They all do it in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 14,545 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

If you don't want to wear your helmet while cycling, reel it in, ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Some cycle helmets just look retarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

Absolutely, every time. I cycle through dublin city Center every day and the amount of bad drivers I see is scary.

There's bad cyclists too, to be fair, but with cyclists it's more of a rules of the road thing, with drivers it's far more to do with ineptitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Cycle to work most days but dont even have a helmet and dont want to buy one either.

My parents made a half hearted attempt to make me wear one when I was a child but I refused so they gave up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

I wear a helmet when doing a long cycle or during rush hour. Short trips to the shop I never bother.

Many drivers hate cyclist and I am still amazed at how many drivers will actually drive close to a cyclist to intimidate them. I had a driver bump my back wheel on purpose as I wasn't quick enough off at the red light. He wouldn't have done that to a car!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I don't have a bike now but I think anyone that doesn't wear a helmet out cycling is asking for trouble. Do people have a death wish or something? :eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

When I cycled as a hobby back in the day I never wore one. The racing stars back then didn't unless forced to, so I suppose it wasn't fashionable. Fell off plenty of times too, but never hit my head. Lucky I suppose. Traffic was much lighter though.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭anamaria

I always wear a helmet, I know of someone who suffered serious brain injury that could have been prevented if they had been wearing a helmet.

I can't understand people who say they won't wear one because it 'looks' stupid. The fact that the way you look can prevent some people doing something that can potentially save their lives and prevent serious head injuries baffles me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Always.

Actually studies have shown that children are more likely to be injured on their bike/scooter/skateboard if you pad them up and send them off.

Children have a far less developed sense of danger than adults and so the simple addition of something such as a helmet makes them more likely to do really stupid things because they believe the helmet provides absolute protection, when in reality all it does is prevent an unlucky accident from being a fatal one. Either way, you're still going to be hurt.

Any of us who grew up before 1990 will remember doing everything without helmets or protective padding. How many kids do you remember being killed or permanently disabled because they weren't wearing protection? Very few, if any (I don't know of any). So why the hysteria now? The odds of a serious accident are ridiculously low and always have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

jumpguy wrote: »
    A friend of mine fell off his bike and his helmet actually fractured from the impact but he was alright, but it could've been his skull.

Actually... wow... so it did exactly what it was supposed to do...amazing
    :rolleyes:
    angel01 wrote:
    I don't have a bike now but I think anyone that doesn't wear a helmet out cycling is asking for trouble. Do people have a death wish or something?

Check cycling forum, you'll find a lot of serious cyclists don't wear a helmet for various reasons.

I never bother, cycle to work every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

angel01 wrote: »
    I don't have a bike now but I think anyone that doesn't wear a helmet out cycling is asking for trouble. Do people have a death wish or something? :eek:

I don't think so. I'm more worried about you pedestrians. A bunch of sheeple walked out in front of me this morning when I had the green light.

I could have injured their brains if I had crashed into them with my bike. In fact as I wasn't wearing a helmet it could have been brain injuries all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Always.

Yeah cos thats not over reactionary at all. Sure why even let them on a bike in the first place, thats dangerous after all. Make them wear a dayglow jacket and kneepads too

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

seamus wrote: »
    Actually studies have shown that children are more likely to be injured on their bike/scooter/skateboard if you pad them up and send them off.
    Yep and I suspect that translates to adults too. I would even say this safety nazi stuff can go too far in other areas too. You see it with cars. People put so much confidence in airbags and ABS and crumple zones etc and yes they're a bloody great idea, but I do feel they give people a false sense of security and they can end up driving accordingly. Jeremy Clarkson made a joke years back about lowering road deaths by putting a dirty great spike in the centre of the steering wheel. He had a point I reckon.

The other thing is that a helluva lot of people would avoid serious injury if they wore a full face crash helmet in a car, yet we don't. Why not?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Wibbs wrote: »
    Yep and I suspect that translates to adults too.
    Actually the study originally looked at adults and found that not only did adults on the bikes take more risks, but vehicles gave the helmeted cyclist less room and took more risks *around* the helmeted cyclist.
    The other thing is that a helluva lot of people would avoid serious injury if they wore a full face crash helmet in a car, yet we don't. Why not?
    Visibilty trade-off I reckon. The combination of steel shell + helmet would mean that car drivers would be barely capable of seeing anything past their immediate vicinity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

when I where a helmet snowboarding, I'm more clumsy go figure.

seamus wrote: »
    Visibilty trade-off I reckon. The combination of steel shell + helmet would mean that car drivers would be barely capable of seeing anything past their immediate vicinity.
    True. Then again given some drivers out there....:D

Another thing; some of the most safety conscious cyclists I know consistently wear ipods and the like, so they can hear diddly squat which would impact safety too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

I don't really cycle anymore (not that I don't want to but I just hate the Green's that much - no, I really do!) but never did wear a helmet when I did.

It's down to the fact that the look so silly, kids hate wearing them because they get the p1ss pulled out of them, if you grow up realisisng this, the chances of you wearing one in later life diminish rapidly.

The only cool ones are the ones they wear in the pursuit cycling - they look like the head of Alien - bring in those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭joey54

A bit of me thinks they should be made compulsory for cyclists but then another bit of me says you can't force adults to wear them.

I don't understand it when I see kids out on their bikes without helmets.

Advertisement