Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

CPC courses & training

Options
  • 24-08-2009 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

booked my D test about 8 weeks ago in finglas, got no date so rang them today. to tell me that my test was on hold becase i didnt do the CPC test. when i booked my test i never picked to do it so why should i have to ring them and tell them that im not doing it! so now ill have to wait another 10 weeks for a date! im livit now at this. and am thinking sure im waiting now for another 10 weeks i may aswell do the cpc just in case! so i go to book it. and its 70 euro for each test, and 35 for the practical! so now im shelling out 110 for the test 35 for the practical 140 for the cpc theory test and 38 for the theory test its self. so your paying 323 euro to get to a full licence. and then 80 euro i think per day for the 45 hours over 5 years! i think this is nothing but a money making racket and jobs for the boyos! im straped for cash(poor student) and now all this ahhhhhhhhhhhh

Rant over, but i would like to hear if ive just been unlucky, or is this annoying any one else

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,889 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

HighlyCooL wrote: »
    booked my D test about 8 weeks ago in finglas, got no date so rang them today. to tell me that my test was on hold becase i didnt do the CPC test. when i booked my test i never picked to do it so why should i have to ring them and tell them that im not doing it! so now ill have to wait another 10 weeks for a date! im livit now at this. and am thinking sure im waiting now for another 10 weeks i may aswell do the cpc just in case! so i go to book it. and its 70 euro for each test, and 35 for the practical! so now im shelling out 110 for the test 35 for the practical 140 for the cpc theory test and 38 for the theory test its self. so your paying 323 euro to get to a full licence. and then 80 euro i think per day for the 45 hours over 5 years! i think this is nothing but a money making racket and jobs for the boyos! im straped for cash(poor student) and now all this ahhhhhhhhhhhh

Rant over, but i would like to hear if ive just been unlucky, or is this annoying any one else

When I applied for my D test the RSA rang me to tell me I needed to book the CPC part, I'd assumed I didn't need it and could do it later. Not sure why they didn't call you, did you provide a number? Don't forget that you also need to rent a bus for the test, so add at least another €100 onto that.

If you want to drive a bus profesionally you are going to need the CPC so may aswell get it out of the way at the same time as your D test, you also need a bus for the practical CPC test.

The continuous learning is a bit of a joke alright, sit in a room for 8 hours once a year with no test at the end to improve driver safery!! The €80 charge is only for the 1st couple of places, hopefully when more come on line the price will start to drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭HighlyCooL

yeah i gave them my number, i dont need to do the cpc, as i want need a d1 to apply for a job with the HSE. like when i rang and say i wasnt doing it your one on the other end said i did if i was going to drive a bus, when i told her wat i was doing the test for, she got smart and said that she didnt know what i was doing for a living. i wasnt to happy with her, so rang back again, got talking to some one in cpc, there going to try get my test in a cancelation spot, but im not doing it. i think its a bit of a joke, 2 theory tests for 140 euro and another theory test, as a tester walks around a bus asking you questions about it! hes a complete money making racket. and as you say 8 hours in a room, and no test at the end it doesnt do any thing for road safety!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Just passed my c class driving test last month, and to be quiet honest I am not sure I want it cause of this new cpc thing. It took me 20 lessons to pass the dam thing, and the thoughts of doing another test to get this is putting me right off, and having to pay all that extra money, ARRGGGG!!!!:rolleyes::(:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

jimmyw wrote: »
    Just passed my c class driving test last month, and to be quiet honest I am not sure I want it cause of this new cpc thing. It took me 20 lessons to pass the dam thing, and the thoughts of doing another test to get this is putting me right off, and having to pay all that extra money, ARRGGGG!!!!:rolleyes::(:mad:

Do you mean you intend to go for a bus license as well?

Because the CPC doesn't come into effect for trucks for another few weeks yet and anyone who holds a category C license before this will already have gained the CPC through acquired rights.

But we will still have to attend the annual training course in order to keep it.

yeah i gave them my number, i dont need to do the cpc, as i want need a d1 to apply for a job with the HSE. like when i rang and say i wasnt doing it your one on the other end said i did if i was going to drive a bus, when i told her wat i was doing the test for, she got smart and said that she didnt know what i was doing for a living. i wasnt to happy with her, so rang back again, got talking to some one in cpc, there going to try get my test in a cancelation spot, but im not doing it. i think its a bit of a joke, 2 theory tests for 140 euro and another theory test, as a tester walks around a bus asking you questions about it! hes a complete money making racket. and as you say 8 hours in a room, and no test at the end it doesnt do any thing for road safety!

If your driving a minibus for the HSE you'll need the CPC. Once you are driving professionally you need the CPC and if a Garda stops you driving a bus full of passengers then you would be in trouble.

TBH the CPC option that the RSA went with isn't the worst option we could have gotten and once you review the material on their website the theory test is OK. The practical isn't too hard, mostly just common sense.

The best bit is that you need a CPC card to drive a bus professionaly now. I've just passed the test and rang about the CPC card and was told they haven't issued any yet and to wait for them to contact me, good thing I don't need it.

• Advertisement

Oh no I am not going for a bus, but just thought that even by getting the cpc by acquired rights I still thought that you had to do all the tests including the practical, or am I wrong, James.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Motor-Ed

The Driver CPC for trucks(Class C + EC) doesn't come into effect until 10/9/09. Since you already have a class done you will only need to take the Periodic Training (1 module per year approx €75) and not the extra theory and practical which new entrants from Sept will need.
    Clear?:)

Are you applying to HSE for a minibus driving job or are you looking to be an EMT (paramedic). There's a big difference as EMT drivers don't need the CPC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Motor-Ed wrote: »
    The Driver CPC for trucks(Class C + EC) doesn't come into effect until 10/9/09. Since you already have a class done you will only need to take the Periodic Training (1 module per year approx €75) and not the extra theory and practical which new entrants from Sept will need.
    Clear?:)
    Sorry op if Im highjacking your thread a little, I have held a cat-c license for about 3 years and failed the test for the artic 3 weeks ago (Im waiting to be given a date for a retest). This is the first I have ever heard of this CPC and does it mean that I will have to pay an extra 75 euro per year to keep my license?

O.A.P wrote: »
    Sorry op if Im highjacking your thread a little, I have held a cat-c license for about 3 years and failed the test for the artic 3 weeks ago (Im waiting to be given a date for a retest). This is the first I have ever heard of this CPC and does it mean that I will have to pay an extra 75 euro per year to keep my license?

Once you earn money for driving as a living then you will have to do the periodic training, one module per year, every year, from Sept for trucks and already in force for buses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Once you earn money for driving as a living then you will have to do the periodic training, one module per year, every year, from Sept for trucks and already in force for buses.
    Thanks for your reply,wish you had better news though:D

I was listening to someone on the kilkenny radio this morning who was talking about this, and he done one of these, he drives an artic and a bus.He says it is a complete joke. He just was sitting there listening to the fella talking about how gears work :mad: mainly. He had to pay 75 quid, and if he did not he would be fined 2000.He got a cert afterwards. He also said you dont need to know for instance how a computer works to use it, so why would you need to know how a bus/truck works to do the same, which is a valid point I thought. Each year the subject will be different. The rsa are rightly concerned with road safety, but I cant help but thinking its just another way to extract money from people.

Del2005 wrote: »
    If your driving a minibus for the HSE you'll need the CPC. Once you are driving professionally you need the CPC and if a Garda stops you driving a bus full of passengers then you would be in trouble.

TBH the CPC option that the RSA went with isn't the worst option we could have gotten and once you review the material on their website the theory test is OK. The practical isn't too hard, mostly just common sense.

The best bit is that you need a CPC card to drive a bus professionaly now. I've just passed the test and rang about the CPC card and was told they haven't issued any yet and to wait for them to contact me, good thing I don't need it.
    Are you applying to HSE for a minibus driving job or are you looking to be an EMT (paramedic). There's a big difference as EMT drivers don't need the CPC

Yeah im doing my d test for to be able to apply for Paramedic trainee so yeah i dont need it! but still if i was going for a job its a bit steep looking for the poor unemployed people of ireland who are looking for work as a bus driver to pay 140 euro on 2 theory tests, should be the same price as the DTT. its a clean cut case of trying to extract money form the average joe public. but sure the countrys on its knees and the government is going to screw every one they can for a few extra euros!

Yeah im doing my d test for to be able to apply for Paramedic trainee so yeah i dont need it! but still if i was going for a job its a bit steep looking for the poor unemployed people of ireland who are looking for work as a bus driver to pay 140 euro on 2 theory tests, should be the same price as the DTT. its a clean cut case of trying to extract money form the average joe public. but sure the countrys on its knees and the government is going to screw every one they can for a few extra euros!

I agree with you to a certain extent but I think the pricing structure is to put off people from taking up slots to the loss of people who are committed to getting the licence. For example despite the car test waiting lists still running at an AVERAGE of 12 weeks, my area had a 40% "no shows" at the test centre last week. Therefore some people paid €75 but didn't bother turning up, makes you think they should pay a cancellation fee next time.

Yeah im doing my d test for to be able to apply for Paramedic trainee so yeah i dont need it!
    Why do you need D to drive an ambulance? Should it not be C? Since proper ambulances can't carry 9 people and if it's for weight then C will cover that.

motor-ed: i dont have a problem with the driving test fee going up, if any thing its a good thing, to stop people not showing up, but i just think 140 euro to do 2 theory tests is ridiculous, like all you do is go in and sit in a room for 30 an hour and tap a computer screen, sure the DTT centre has about 20 computers and about 4 maybe 5 staff, i dont see why it couldnt be the same price as the other theory tests!

Del2005: your 100% right there the new cen ambulances do not carry any where close to 8 people so a c1 will suffice, but the HSE-NAS want all there Paramedics to be able to drive a mini bus for out patients, ie trips to the nearest hospital for cancer treatment or so im lead to belive!

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

Del2005: your 100% right there the new cen ambulances do not carry any where close to 8 people so a c1 will suffice, but the HSE-NAS want all there Paramedics to be able to drive a mini bus for out patients, ie trips to the nearest hospital for cancer treatment or so im lead to belive!
    Surely you'd need a CPC for that, then? The only way you can get away with it is if you're working voluntarily, which I don't expect they are!

but your not being employed as a driver your being employed as a paramedic, so your not a professional driver so you dont need one

But if driving is part of your job description, then you're a driver. I know the example on the RSA website says that a plumber who drives a large van to carry his tools would get away with it, but that's because he's not being paid to drive, he's just driving to work. A paramedic, though, is being paid to drive the patient to hospital. It's a tricky one...

yeah but you dont need one becase its is also an emergency vechile

• Advertisement

And they're exempt, are they? Does that apply to firemen and guards too?

A. Drivers of vehicles for non-commercial purposes,
    e.g. driving as a volunteer, drivers of emergency
    or rescue vehicles.

I guess that includes gards and fire personal!

I saw on the RSA website that all current bus drivers are supposed to have their first day of yearly training completed by December 31st.

I don't have a D licence myself but I'm curious to know what would happen to a bus driver who didn't manage to get the training day done by then?

Could they make it up by attending two seperate days training in 2010? Or would they automatically lose their CPC and have to take the exam to regain it?

Could they make it up by attending two seperate days training in 2010? Or would they automatically lose their CPC and have to take the exam to regain it?
    I'd imagine the latter...

Anyone know if there's any learning material available? I know the question bank is online (link pdf) but I felt the Theory Test CD was the best way of learning it, by doing practice tests until I got 40 a few times in a row.

By the way, how many of the 238 questions are asked and how many do you have to get right? Anyone done the case studies on either the Bus or Truck? They're on the document linked to above, but there's no questions or instructions, just a story. Best I can guess, you have to highlight all the faults the driver has made, and probably explain some or all of them in detail. Anyone know for sure?

And another thing, the multiple choice test - on the DTT website there's three options: MCQ for Bus, MCQ for Truck and MCQ for Bus and Truck. If you do the Bus and Truck one, does that cover you for the two? I know you definitely have to do the seperate case studies, that's pretty clear, but not sure about this one.

Am I allowed bump this? Suppose since I'm adding to it...
    Richie15 wrote: »
    By the way, how many of the 238 questions are asked and how many do you have to get right? Anyone done the case studies on either the Bus or Truck? They're on the document linked to above, but there's no questions or instructions, just a story. Best I can guess, you have to highlight all the faults the driver has made, and probably explain some or all of them in detail. Anyone know for sure?
    Found this on theorytest.ie, don't know how I missed it before.
    theorytest.ie:
    How many questions are in the test?
    There are 100 questions in the CPC-MCQ test.
    In the CPC-Case Study test there are 3 scenarios each with 15 questions giving a total of 45 questions.

Still doesn't say how many you've to get right though, and I don't know if the case-study questions are published at all. But I did also find this:
    theorytest.ie:
    What material do I need to study in order to pass the test?
    Revision material is available from the Theorytest.ie web site. In addition careful study of the ‘Rules of the Road’ and manuals such as the ‘The Official DSA Guide to Driving Buses / Coaches and Heavy Goods Vehicles’ will give you all the information you need to help you take and pass the CPC tests.

Didn't know there was an official guide, must go check the library.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ondarack

Just booked my CPC theory tests for next month for my Cat C. You have to get 61/100 right in the multiple choice and 28/45 right in the case studies. I cant find any questions for the case studies, bit hard to prepare for if you dunno what the questions are like!! Looking through the multple choice questions on the website, are they not the same as would be on the theory test book or cd??

ondarack wrote: »
    Just booked my CPC theory tests for next month for my Cat C. You have to get 61/100 right in the multiple choice and 28/45 right in the case studies.
    Well that's good, sounds easy enough. Good luck with it! Must book mine now, any more info on the combined truck/bus MCQ? If i do that now, will it still be valid next year when I go to do the but tests? Sounds to me like an easy way to save €70!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Apologies for asking this rather than searching myself but does anyone know who/where does the one day courses for those of us who already hold the licences and is it possible to do a 'two in one' for the truck and bus. (I have both for a good few years but I haven't used them much this year but I'd like to keep my options open).

Richie15 wrote: »
    and manuals such as the ‘The Official DSA Guide to Driving Buses / Coaches and Heavy Goods Vehicles’ will give you all the information you need to help you take and pass the CPC tests

Didn't know there was an official guide, must go check the library.
    Eason's have that Driving Standards Agency book for sale. It was €22.35 when I bought it a couple of years ago in the basement of the O'Connell St, (Dublin) branch.

Apologies for asking this rather than searching myself but does anyone know who/where does the one day courses for those of us who already hold the licences and is it possible to do a 'two in one' for the truck and bus. (I have both for a good few years but I haven't used them much this year but I'd like to keep my options open).

Here is a list of training providers on a county by county basis.

http://www.rsa.ie/SERVICES/upload/File/CPC/ApprovedTrainerProvidersRSA.pdf

From what I have read in regards to the CPC there are six training modules in total. Four of those cover both truck and bus, the other two cover each licence category separately.

That means a person with only a truck licence such as myself will have to do five courses (the four that are general and the one that is specific to trucks) where as someone who holds truck and bus, and wishes to maintain both, will have to do six training modules. (ie the four general modules and then one each for truck and bus)

Also, if you want to keep on the ball for the bus CPC you have to get that first training module completed by December 31st of this year.

• Advertisement

Also, if you want to keep on the ball for the bus CPC you have to get that first training module completed by December 31st of this year.
    Does it have to be every calender year you do one, or is it a period of one year from when you get the licence? What about if you pass your test in December?

Advertisement