Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whatever happened to swineflu?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sorry RTDH, but that's a complete fail. Neither link provides any evidence of such a link between the jab and that disorder.

The nerve syndrome is a rare disorder which occurs shortly after an individual has contracted a bacterial or viral infection.

Since most vaccines involve injecting people with a weakened form of the virus/bacterium (or a close relative), then it quite logically follows that a certain small amount of people will develop complications after immunisation.

It's a hell of a lot more desirable than the alternative of non-immunisation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

seamus wrote: »
    Sorry RTDH, but that's a complete fail. Neither link provides any evidence of such a link between the jab and that disorder.

The nerve syndrome is a rare disorder which occurs shortly after an individual has contracted a bacterial or viral infection.

Since most vaccines involve injecting people with a weakened form of the virus/bacterium (or a close relative), then it quite logically follows that a certain small amount of people will develop complications after immunisation.

It's a hell of a lot more desirable than the alternative of non-immunisation.
    I would sooner do without being jabbed. how many have died of it compaired to contacting the common flu. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PhysiologyRocks

I have a cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I would sooner do without being jabbed. how many have died of it compaired to contacting the common flu. :rolleyes:
    It's a numbers game.

Typically, about 1 in a million contract Guillain-Barre syndrome from seasonal vaccinations, whereas 20 in 100,000 die from seasonal influenza. Of those who contract Guillain-Barre, the upper limit of the death rate is about 3%, but in the interests of fairness the "permanently disabled" (including "death") rate is about 20%.

So to compare the figures, without the vaccination, your chances of dying from influenza this year is 0.0002%
    If you get vaccinated, the odds of that resulting in a severe disability or death is 0.0000002%

Yes, those numbers look silly, but in actual fact what they mean is that if you don't get immunised, you are 1,000 times more likely to die then if you do.

That's the simple fact of the situation. If you take the actual death rate of Guillain-Barre, then that changes the figures tenfold, i.e. non-immunised people are 10,000 times more likely to die than immunised people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

I'm just recovered from it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Swine flu has jumped to birds opening a new chapter in the global epidemic, scientists said today.

Chile’s health ministry confirmed that turkeys caught the virus from people at two farms outside the city of Valparaiso.

Authorities ordered a complete quarantine today and alerted the World Health Organisation.

Some illness was suspected at the farms owned by the Sopraval company after egg production dropped this month.

Samples were taken and confirmed yesterday to be the same influenza virus now circulating in humans around the world – a mixture of human, pig and bird genes.

But a United Nations animal health expert said the infected turkeys have suffered only mild effects, lowering the potential danger – and agreed with the government that Chile’s turkey meat remains safe to eat.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/world/new-concern-as-swine-flu-jumps-to-birds-423457.html

gone away no, jumped into birds yes!!
    this is bad

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

skelliser wrote: »
    Swine flu has jumped to birds opening a new chapter in the global epidemic, scientists said today.

Chile’s health ministry confirmed that turkeys caught the virus from people at two farms outside the city of Valparaiso.

Authorities ordered a complete quarantine today and alerted the World Health Organisation.

Some illness was suspected at the farms owned by the Sopraval company after egg production dropped this month.

Samples were taken and confirmed yesterday to be the same influenza virus now circulating in humans around the world – a mixture of human, pig and bird genes.

But a United Nations animal health expert said the infected turkeys have suffered only mild effects, lowering the potential danger – and agreed with the government that Chile’s turkey meat remains safe to eat.

Teensy possibility but probably just as likely as your worst case scenario one :)

http://www.breakingnews.ie/world/new-concern-as-swine-flu-jumps-to-birds-423457.html

gone away no, jumped into birds yes!!
    this is bad

Be optimistic!

As I said before on another thread there is always the possibilty that swine flu will replace the avian H5N1 flu in birds and hence make the world a far safer place :)

Teensy possibilty but probably just as likely as your worst case scenario one:)

THE new swine flu vaccine *contains a deadly brain toxin linked to autism, Alzheimer’s and multiple sclerosis".

Mercury, a vaccine preservative, was withdrawn from childhood jabs five years ago after evidence linked it to brain damage :eek:

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/122228/Gulf-War-toxins-in-swine-flu-vaccine

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Wow such sensationalism..

The only thing that matters is that the companies making the vaccine have been granted legal immunity if anything goes wrong.

That doesn't need to be sensationalised =p

Wow such sensationalism..

The only thing that matters is that the companies making the vaccine have been granted legal immunity if anything goes wrong.
    They have learned their lessons from Thalidomide.

• Advertisement

THE new swine flu vaccine *contains a deadly brain toxin linked to autism, Alzheimer’s and multiple sclerosis".

Mercury, a vaccine preservative, was withdrawn from childhood jabs five years ago after evidence linked it to brain damage :eek:

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/122228/Gulf-War-toxins-in-swine-flu-vaccine

The MMR was rumoured to be linked to autism (which was later debunked) but look at the fallout from that. We've had measles epidemics again. I don't believe everything I read in the media

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Just confirmed I had swine flu. Wow, that was pretty underwhelming. The worst bit was the fever and headache but a good dose of paracetamol and that wasn't too bad. The sick-e-ness peaked on Tuesday, I was better by Saturday, everything was gone by Sunday.
    Screw that, I'm not taking any vaccine. I already had the real thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I have it and I brought it into work so I can spread it :D

Just spent lunch time licking peoples phones.

Advertisement