Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport - Terminal 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭runway16

All EI flights use T2, they just use stands at Pier B, which is physically linked to T2. All check in and baggage processing, security checks etc is done at T2, you just use the link building to walk from the duty free shopping area over to your gate at Pier B

The walk is no more arduous than from check in at T1 to Pier D... in fact, its a lot shorter.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭etchyed

There's no denying that the planning of Dublin Airport over the years has been a mess, and the fact that Pier C had to be demolished to build T2 is testament to this.

However, the two terminals being so close together and linked to each other means the airport is quite flexible and will easily adapt to any potential changes in the Irish aviation landscape. The walk from T2 check-in to Pier B is not great but really not too bad compared to many international airports. As long as T2 passengers aren't being sent to Pier D it's quite acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

etchyed wrote: »
    There's no denying that the planning of Dublin Airport over the years has been a mess, and the fact that Pier C had to be demolished to build T2 is testament to this.

I know I'm just being pedantic here, but pier C wasn't demolished, it was incorporated into T2. The whole building is still there, they just removed the gates. In fact the connection between T1 an T2 is Pier C.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I know I'm just being pedantic here, but pier C wasn't demolished, it was incorporated into T2. The whole building is still there, they just removed the gates. In fact the connection between T1 an T2 is Pier C.
    Are the gates gone altogether?

During construction the bridges were removed but if I remember rightly, ryanair was still using them as a gate to deliver people onto a bus for aircraft parked on the apron during peak times. Am I right?

As a backup at busy times for Aer Lingus, it wouldnt be the worst solution now if it were possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

etchyed wrote: »

It's worth remembering that Bertie the Ditherer is mostly responsible for this. He (and his governments) took ten years to decide to build T2 during which time DAA had to fudge millions more people into T1 than it was ever designed to facilitate. If they had a made a decision, one way or the other, when asked to, DAA could have made concrete long term plans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I was on EI 139 Sunday and can confirm that it goes out of T2 but does not pre-clear immigration in Dublin. Pain in the ass it is too.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭NITransport

This page my be useful to refer too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

This page my be useful to refer too. :)

What's the logic about not having all the flights do Pre-clearance? Lack at capacity at relevant domestic Terminals in US for all Aer Lingus flights? (I'm assuming you disembark at a domestic terminal)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

dubhthach wrote: »
    What's the logic about not having all the flights do Pre-clearance? Lack at capacity at relevant domestic Terminals in US for all Aer Lingus flights? (I'm assuming you disembark at a domestic terminal)

The 139 leaves in the middle of the morning TA rush and i'm assuming couldn't be accommodated. The 109 leaves after USCBP have finished for the day.

EI are still flying into T4 at JFK. I'm surprised they haven't looked into moving to T6 where JetBlue are as they have an arrangement with them. Currently passengers travelling on from JFK to other destinations with JetBlue have to transfer to T6 for their onward flight. If they've pre-cleared in DUB they just have to present themselves at security in T6 as their luggage is cleared all the way to their final destination but can't buy any liquids in DUB over 100ml as they have to go through TSA security in T6. If they're on the later flight(109) they will continue to claim their luggage in JFK and can place any liquids into their case before heading for their next flight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

EI are still flying into T4 at JFK. I'm surprised they haven't looked into moving to T6 where JetBlue are as they have an arrangement with them. Currently passengers travelling on from JFK to other destinations with JetBlue have to transfer to T6 for their onward flight. If they've pre-cleared in DUB they just have to present themselves at security in T6 as their luggage is cleared all the way to their final destination but can't buy any liquids in DUB over 100ml as they have to go through TSA security in T6. If they're on the later flight(109) they will continue to claim their luggage in JFK and can place any liquids into their case before heading for their next flight.

And that has cost me a bottle of 10 year old Bushmills before now! :mad:

1. Arrived JFK
    2. Transferred Luggage
    3. Security 'caught' the bottle in my hand luggage (I'd forgotten)
    4. Over to luggage checkin (too late - you'll have check the hand luggage bag at USAirways checkin...15 min walk/train)
    5. Arrive USAirways checkin
    6. You already have two bags checked in sir! No, I don't my wife and I have one each (she's waiting at the gate) No sir, they are both in your name. Me = :mad:
    7. Your extra bag will cost $50 Sir.
    8. Tell me, do you like whiskey...? Here. Promise me you won't mix that with Coke.
    9. Thank you Sir!! Have a nice flight!!! :D

The same scenario also happens if you're flying into ORD with EI. Most transfers are going to head over to another terminal for their next flight which results in having to clear TSA security.

AA at ORD are fine as they arrive and depart from T3 requiring no security checks.

US at PHL,CO at EWR AND DL at JFK and ATL are also fine as they arrive and depart from the same terminals.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Any news on a smoking area in t2?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Sorry to resurrect this thread but was just wondering how many stands there are at T2?

And is the number reduced by having a heavy on stand? And finally, can EI and others operate completely out of t2 or are they still using pier B or buses to far away stands on far away aprons...?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

donvito99 wrote: »
    Sorry to resurrect this thread but was just wondering how many stands there are at T2?

And is the number reduced by having a heavy on stand? And finally, can EI and others operate completely out of t2 or are they still using pier B or buses to far away stands on far away aprons...?

thanks
    EI were still using Pier B until a couple of weeks ago anyway. Flights seem to depart from pier B and land at T2 (Berlin for example).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,546 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

murphaph wrote: »
    donvito99 wrote: »

thanks
    EI were still using Pier B until a couple of weeks ago anyway. Flights seem to depart from pier B and land at T2 (Berlin for example).

There are (and never were planned to be) insufficient stands at T2 for the entire EI short haul fleet overnight, particularly taking early morning transatlantic arrivals into account.

Therefore certain early morning EI departures and late evening EI arrivals use pier B (gates 3xx).

As I pointed out elsewhere the walk from pier B to T2 is shorter than that from pier D (gates 1xx) to the T1 baggage hall.

There are 19 gates at T2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Dublin Spotter

yep from what i hear the check in islands will go and all check in desks will face the entrance like t2. no idea of a timescale for this or if these plans have been affected by the downturn however

Is this still planned to happon?

Will the other 2 EI flights use US pre clearance anytime.

Its a shame its not being used to all US flights, but as the EI JFK flight goes back to 15/45 departure for winter will that clear it as once the14/00 to BOS goes passengers would be coming through for the JFK.

Its a shame its not being used to all US flights, but as the EI JFK flight goes back to 15/45 departure for winter will that clear it as once the14/00 to BOS goes passengers would be coming through for the JFK.

Unless USCBP extend their operating hours the 109 will continue to be processed at JFK.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

lord lucan wrote: »
    The same scenario also happens if you're flying into ORD with EI. Most transfers are going to head over to another terminal for their next flight which results in having to clear TSA security.

AA at ORD are fine as they arrive and depart from T3 requiring no security checks.

US at PHL,CO at EWR AND DL at JFK and ATL are also fine as they arrive and depart from the same terminals.:)

Agreed. EI at a real disadvantage here. I will not use them for connections because of this (nasty incident a few years back connecting from Jet Blue to EI in JFK which cost me a full day). Used CO the last time and it was sweet. I wonder could EI look into an airside bus transfer between the terminals like CO use in EWR for the Teminal C to Terminal A link?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Wicklowleaid

Hi all, I am just wondering does the evening departure to JFK undergo pre clearance in Dublin or does it have to be done in JFK. I think it is 17.20 departure? As Iwill be connecting on in JFK with jet blue to Rochester I am wondering do I have to recheck in my bags there or do they go all the way from Dublin. Also what is the story ith duty free would I get a chance to put it in my checked luggage before going onwards with jet blue? Great if anyone can help me out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Hi all, I am just wondering does the evening departure to JFK undergo pre clearance in Dublin or does it have to be done in JFK. I think it is 17.20 departure? As Iwill be connecting on in JFK with jet blue to Rochester I am wondering do I have to recheck in my bags there or do they go all the way from Dublin. Also what is the story ith duty free would I get a chance to put it in my checked luggage before going onwards with jet blue? Great if anyone can help me out

Your best bet is to ask in the Commuting & Transport forum. Someone there might be able to help with your query.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

BluntGuy wrote: »
    Your best bet is to ask in the Commuting & Transport forum. Someone there might be able to help with your query.

Or Aviation & Aircraft even.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,546 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The 1710 service to New York (EI 109) does NOT undergo pre-clearance in Dublin - you go through customs and immigration in New York.

Full information is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Kev11491

Also you will have to recheck you're bags, JetBlue do not codeshare with Aer Lingus.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Also you will have to recheck you're bags, JetBlue do not codeshare with Aer Lingus.

I didn't have to re check my bags when I went with EI,JebBlue. Call Aer Lingus but I think the bages go straight through.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

Kev11491 wrote: »

http://www.aerlingus.com/i18n/en/htmlPopups/B6/partnership.html

jd wrote: »

http://investor.jetblue.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=131045&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1103102&highlight=

You have a special transfer desk but you still have to collect you baggage and drop it at it then transfer to T6. Coming back your bag is checked from the US domestic destination all the way to Dublin/Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Kev11491 wrote: »

That would have more to do with customs as one generally is required to attend customs at the point of first entry and then proceed as a domestic passenger.

I flew Air Canada a few years back Dublin - Toronto - Calgary (same carrier, no codeshare). I had to go through customs & immigration in Toronto on the way over as it was the point of entry, then recheck the bags and go through security again before I could board the flight to Calgary.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

If you are preclearing in Dublin, and flying on with JetBlue in the US, aer lingus WILL check through your bags
    Baggage info

They will not be able to check through your bags if you do not pre clear in DUB

Advertisement