Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Major Damage to the Viaduct at Malahide

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

The next 3 months are going to be absolute hell.

I wonder of the Army (or indeed the Army of one of our EU colleagues) can fashion a bailey bridge over the estuary. I recall seeing a documentary on the Bundswher a few years ago in which they mentioned how such a structure could bear trains carrying tanks and other heavy equipment over them.

Rail services could resume after 2 to 3 weeks if they were to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 COMEDYCORPSE

pithater1 wrote: »
    The next 3 months are going to be absolute hell.

I wonder of the Army (or indeed the Army of one of our EU colleagues) can fashion a bailey bridge over the estuary. I recall seeing a documentary on the Bundswher a few years ago in which they mentioned how such a structure could bear trains carrying tanks and other heavy equipment over them.

It certainly is...:mad:, I'm starting college in Dun Loaghaire IT on September 14th it's gonna be hell trying to get a Bus Eireann from Balbriggan into town then get a dart out to Dun Laoghaire.

****ing iarnrod eireann better provide a better alternative than oh well the trains are buggered your own your own their people.

For the amount of money they get from our fare's which is ridiculous this should never have happened, the tracks should be in pristine condition from the amount of money they make.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Key phrase from this afternoon's IR update is "at least three months".

Commuting from Switzerland to Skerries doesn't seem so bad now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,594 ✭✭✭billyhead

I live in Rush and I foresee massive backlogs in the morning. Time for people to get back on the bike:p

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

AGGHH AGGHHH AGHH

and that is all I have to say on the matter:(

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,577 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

With something like this you have to question the stability of the whole viaduct. I don't know how long it is, but if one section has failed, the whole thing will need looking at. If they find more weak spots, who knows how long it will take them to sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

If my train had of been ten mins late I would be swimming with the fishy's now!! How old is that viaduct? The northern line is years old. was the route diverted years ago or has it always run over the viaduct? I'm looking into alternatives at the moment. Does anyone know how much the 101 is from Balbriggan to Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Morgans

Is it unreasonable for annual ticket holders to expect a refund for the amount of time that the track is unusuable?

Does an enhanced bus service equate as an alternative of the same value?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Just saw the pictures now. Very scary indeed. But have I heard it right that it got inspected 4 days ago?? :eek: Well now, that is shocking.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Morgans wrote: »
    Is it unreasonable for annual ticket holders to expect a refund for the amount of time that the track is unusuable?

Does an enhanced bus service equate as an alternative of the same value?

No it is not unless you use your ticket on the bus.
    If you have to drive I do think a refund should be given.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,285 ✭✭✭✭Victor

pithater1 wrote: »

The problem there is that it would be difficult to repair the bridge with a temporary bridge in place. The strength of the other piers also has to be called into question.
    JohnnieK wrote: »
    How old is that viaduct? The northern line is years old.
    The line is about 160 years old. The bridge section was re-built about 50 years ago.
    Larianne wrote: »
    Just saw the pictures now. Very scary indeed. But have I heard it right that it got inspected 4 days ago?? :eek: Well now, that is shocking.
    That would have only been a track inspection, probably not a full bridge inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Some people were worried about the length of time the bridge would remain closed and bit by bit we are seeing daylight, At LEAST 3 MONTHS. Now that could be 6 or 12 months.

The only way the severe problems can be avoided is for Express bus services from Balbriggan, Skerries, Rush, Lusk and Donabate. Not much point sending a bus along the route The express service would run along side the normal 33 and go straight to Dublin, for example a bus leaving Rush would not go through Lusk but take the Rathmore Rd and go in the M1. The normal bus service would do the picking up and dropping off of passengers along the way.

Thank god no one hurt.
    Time to give car pools a real try from this side of Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Morgans

Moonbeam wrote: »
    No it is not unless you use your ticket on the bus.
    If you have to drive I do think a refund should be given.

Personally, I think some refund should be given.

If I sign up for broadband contract for 12 months and the broadband provider suffers some infrastructural disaster, I dont think I should pay broadband rates for dial-up service while it is fixed.

Will there be a drop off in commuters buying monthly train tickets for September?

Why should the commuter get penalised because they have bought the monthly ticket in advance, on the assumption of the level of service.

If the buses-based contingency plans are as effective as the trains at transferring the thousands of commuters then no refund is needed. I just have my doubts and Im guessing that there will be plenty of annual ticket holders in cars from monday on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭musicfan

If people get a refund, they will need to pay full price on the alternative bus eireann dublin bus etc. I know I've been saving a fortune with my annual ticket. If I end up paying full price on buses etc for the next 3 months at least, I'm losing money on top of the major disruption each morning / evening.

Any alternative method of transport needs to accept monthly/annual tickets as payment and its up to IR to make sure this happens.

Presumably refunds for annual tickets would be made back to the employer and no more deductions would be made from your salary, therefore another loss there as you wont be saving on tax

• Registered Users Posts: 78,285 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Eh, think big picture here. You talk to your neighbours that you know drive to Dublin and instead of you all driving alone, 4-5 of you get together and each one drives one day per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I wonder what's going to happen to the staff in Rusk & Lusk and Donabate stations? Hopefully they'll be redeployed by IR to other stations/sites while their own are closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

I posted this on another forum.

Listening to the radio last night (the repeats) and Barry Kenny was on.He said that the Southbound train ,ie from Drogheda to Pearse,
    was on the bridge.The driver saw what was happening to the North Bound track, ie it was falling into the sea, infromed central control and managed to get to Malahide station where he then on foot made his way back to the bridge to see what was happening and by fone relayed it back to central command.By this point electronic alarms had been switched on in central control and all trains had been stopped.HOWEVER If that southbound train had been delayed by 60 secs it would have been on the bridge when it collapsed.

Apparently the point alarm on the bridge went red indicating a serious problem before the southbound train had reached Malahide station.
    Seriously scary stuff.

Advertisement