Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 320d Efficient Dynamics

Options
  • 21-08-2009 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/242649/

218999301486356x236.jpg

BMW-320d_EfficientDynamics.jpg

It always amazes me how BMW lead the way when it comes to reducing CO2 and this is probably the best example yet

The new 320d will produce only 109g CO2/km when it goes on sale here next January, this despite 163 bhp, 0-60 in 8.3s, and a top whack of 137mph!

Ifind this amazing when you consider something like this. The 320d produces only 11g more CO2, despite the beamer having twice the power in a much bigger car!

Welcome to the first small executive car with only 104€ road tax!

Better pictures here:
    http://www.netcarshow.com/bmw/2010-320d_efficientdynamics/

Its this or a prius lads?:D

Opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

It does prove that the Irish government didn't think the car tax/VRT changes out very well :rolleyes: Very impressive for a 320d!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Confab wrote: »
    It does prove that the Irish government didn't think the car tax/VRT changes out very well :rolleyes:

Nope, which is why i expect CATACLYSMIC rises to those CO2 based road tax rates in the 2010 budget. More than the 4% rise last year anyway:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

the only downside is that BMW have reduced the power from 177bhp to 163bhp :mad:

but nothing a remap wouldnt sort out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

As mentioned somewhere else recently BMW are in real danger of turning into a green brand. All you see now in their ads is efficient dynamics this - efficient dynamics that. What happened the Ultimate Driving machine positioning. Its easy to get caught up in all this enviornment BS and i think they have been caught hook line and sinker.

Would the real BMW please stand up?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

RedorDead wrote: »
    As mentioned somewhere else recently BMW are in real danger of turning into a green brand. All you see now in their ads is efficient dynamics this - efficient dynamics that. What happened the Ultimate Driving machine positioning. Its easy to get caught up in all this enviornment BS and i think they have been caught hook line and sinker.

Would the real BMW please stand up?
    Who cares about the advertising when the cars are getting more powerful and cleaner?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Anan1 wrote: »
    Who cares about the advertising when the cars are getting more powerful and cleaner?

i'd normally agree only the 2010 320d seems to be getting less powerfull but alot greener. i know a remap would sort it out but for people that would be worried about warranty etc this is not an option, although 163bhp from a 2.0 diesel is nothing to be laughed at, along with the wall of torques.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I just saw a press release that says the new BMW320D ED that's coming out in March will be in category A for VRT and €104 per year for road tax! :eek: :eek:

I think it's incredible that they've been able to get a car of that size and weight into the same category as Nissan Micras.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Its great news for fleet guys as it make the maintenance so much cheaper. Indeed, its great news for the general punter.

BMW seem to work magic with their engines, a 520d is only €156 for a year!

It is impressive. All they need now is an autobox that doesn't bump the car up a bracket.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Is this due to a combination of weight reduction and techology moving forward or is the engine restricted in anyway to achieve these figures?

Ie whats the difference between a 320D and 320ED in performance?

• Advertisement

Its great news for fleet guys as it make the maintenance so much cheaper. Indeed, its great news for the general punter.

BMW seem to work magic with their engines, a 520d is only €156 for a year!

Yeah, the 5 Series, A6 & E Class are all in Category B now, but I thought it'd be a while before they got any of the exec cars into Cat A!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

It is impressive. All they need now is an autobox that doesn't bump the car up a bracket.;)

Maybe some form of dual sequential gearbox? Clutchless manual that doesn't affect fuel consumption too much? If only such a thing existed.......
    Is this due to a combination of weight reduction and techology moving forward or is the engine restricted in anyway to achieve these figures?

320ED is tuned back to 163bhp whereas the current 320D has 177bhp.

163bhp was the output of the engine pre ED so it won't be any slouch.

I think it's getting additional spoilers etc. to improve airflow. I know the Isignia ECOflex models are getting a flat underbody to improve drag coeffecient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Strangely enough, the Citroen C4 Picasso Auto is actually cheaper to tax than the manual!

AFAIK it's aerodynamics/tyres related and the engine's been designed to run smooth at lower revs. Maybe one of the Beemer guys would know more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Makes me kinda sad in a weird way that everyone wants to be so efficient all the time. It kinda takes the fun out of motoring. :(

On a recent test drive in my car I was asked what the MPG were, I looked at the guy and said "If I paid attention to that, then I wouldn't enjoy the car because it would always be on my mind!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

That's very impressive.

Last I read tho BMW diesels were Euro 4 for emissions (which is about 1990 standard for petrol). Any improvments made here? Are they Euro 6 yet anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

-Chris- wrote: »
    AFAIK it's aerodynamics/tyres related and the engine's been designed to run smooth at lower revs. Maybe one of the Beemer guys would know more.

It's going back to 163bhp for this model. It's impressive to be over the 60mpg figure for that class of car. Audi must be scratching the noggin's for a competitor.
    Be interesting to see how much it costs versus a normal 320d or even 318d. BMW will probably charge a small premium but the VRT band will be lower.

Biro wrote: »
    It's going back to 163bhp for this model. It's impressive to be over the 60mpg figure for that class of car. Audi must be scratching the noggin's for a competitor.
    Be interesting to see how much it costs versus a normal 320d or even 318d. BMW will probably charge a small premium but the VRT band will be lower.
    I thought it was going to be the normal 320d?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I wonder could this engine be re-mapped to get the BHP back up again? Presume it could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

Is there anyone close to BMW in this area or are they running away with it now?
    Its great to see such steps forward in technology like this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I presume this is the press release seen by -CHris-
    http://www.germancarzone.com/3-series/30451-bmw-320d-ed-edition-yet-another-step-ahead.html

With the money saved, you could afford to do something about the rims!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

bbk wrote: »
    Is there anyone close to BMW in this area or are they running away with it now?
    Its great to see such steps forward in technology like this.
    Its listed on bmw.co.uk
    http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/models/320dED/0,,1156___,00.html?requestSource=topnav
    bmw.ie still lists the 4.8l/100km version

kbannon wrote: »

It was an email worded slightly differently, but the same info.

Prices in Jan, delivery in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭guerito

-Chris- wrote: »
    I just saw a press release that says the new BMW320D ED that's coming out in March will be in category A for VRT and €104 per year for road tax! :eek: :eek:

That's very impressive indeed, and likely completely unforeseen by those who set the tax rates here. Sadly, as someone pointed out in another thread, it probably won't be long before there's a hefty "adjustment" to the motor tax rates :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

Ahem... Mods starting duplicate threads?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055658147

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

JHMEG wrote: »
    Last I read tho BMW diesels were Euro 4 for emissions (which is about 1990 standard for petrol). Any improvments made here? Are they Euro 6 yet anyone know?

3 series diesels are Euro 5 since the LCI models a year ago. I've no idea about this 320d.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,550 ✭✭✭maidhc

This is really going to make heads scratch in the DoE. Will remapping/modifying low emission cars become a form of tax evasion soon?

Are the DoE just going to push up tax rates and make slightly older cars (i.e. 3-7 years) become prohibitive to run?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

maidhc wrote: »
    This is really going to make heads scratch in the DoE. Will remapping/modifying low emission cars become a form of tax evasion soon?

Most of the vehicles set up for low emissions are using low resistance tyres. I can't imagine when the tyres need replacing that everyone is going to stick on the same spec tyres when they are more expensive than "normal" tyres.

I'd say the same can be said for remapping etc.

robbie99 wrote: »
    Ahem... Mods starting duplicate threads?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055658147

:D

Threads merged

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Advertisement