Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor, free-standing pull-up bar?

Options
  • 21-08-2009 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi all,

I'm looking for a pull-up / chin-up bar to set up at home (actually, in the garden). I was wondering if anyone here had done something similar and if so, perhaps they might offer some experience..

What I had in mind might look like this:
    http://www.firetoys.co.uk/juggling/pull-up_bar_xl.jpg

I don't have the option to make it a permanent fixture so it must be free-standing and reasonably portable.

Does anyone here have one of these or know if something like this is available in Ireland? If so - from where? Any advice to offer?

Any info much appreciated. Cheers,

dan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Any I have seen on sale (not here) are expensive, they also would cost a lot for a sturdy one. The parts are not dear its really economies of scale governing the high price. If you have a tree outside I would put gymnastic rings on it, far more versatile.

It could be more economical to look at items which sell in higher volumes, they might be more sturdy too, e.g. when I was a kid we had a swing which was quite high, and it was FAR more sturdy than that picture you posted. But it was permanently embedded in the ground.

If it was me I would hit the scrap yard, damaged scaffolding cannot be legally used but is still going to be very strong if the damage is only slight. I would integrate a dip station in the design too.

Any reason it has to be in the garden? You could have a removable one using the hole in your attic
    DSC00517.jpg
    With rings or a trapeze type setup using webbing straps.

Or a removable doorway bar, I see this one is now on sale €40 is a decent price.
    http://www.irish-lifting.com/product_info_equipment.php?products_id=270

they also sell rings
    http://www.irish-lifting.com/product_info_equipment.php?products_id=258

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Hi There

Looks like this type of thing could possibly be achieved with a small amount of scaffolding??

Or if you had a sturdy tree in your garden, maybe you could achieve a similar thing with ropes and a bar. Think of a trapieze.

Another thing you might consider would be gymnastic rings. These are even more flexable then a chin-up bar.

Edit: Rubadub got in first with all my ideas. At least I am not the only crazy person on here :D

Best Regards,

M

For the ulimate in simplicity, if you have equal accessible walls.
    henrypullup.jpg

More ideas like that here http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/shenandoah/Grunt/Bodyweight.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

As an fyi fire toys aren't a manufacturer adn you can source the stuff on their site for much cheaper on other places.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

How handy are you OP?

Cos I reckon it would not be a huge job to make one of the ones like you see in parks in the US.

Not sure where you would get a steel bar, but two posts should be easy enough to find.....Chadwicks or somewhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 dan

Thanks for the info folks, much appreciated.

@rubadub Unfortunately outdoors is a firm requirement. The attic is already converted so there's no hole to use. I've seen some other options that attach to the top of door-frames but I'm not convinced that they wouldn't pull the house down, you'll have to take my word for that!

@d'Oracle I'm not all that handy at all as it happens, but I might know someone who can help, rumour has it there are plenty of builders looking for nixers at the moment, so I might see if something bespoke can be assembled..

@amazingemmet Many thanks for that - I was only using the picture as an example - I did think it was a bit expensive. Could you suggest any particular other place?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Many families dump swing frames once their kids grow out of them (who grows out of swings??).

Maybe you could do someone a favour by taking their swing frame? Place an ad in the paper or online somewhere.

Something like this: http://www.gardengames.co.uk/acatalog/Metal_Climbing_Frames.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Swingframes can be a great option.
    Just bear in mind the average steel two swing set would have a maximum capacity of around 14stone.
    Get something as solid as you can find.

Zamboni wrote: »
    Swingframes can be a great option.
    Just bear in mind the average steel two swing set would have a maximum capacity of around 14stone.
    There is a small one in argos but rated to 45kg. However there is always a factor of safety built in. I have my "doorway" chinup bar between 2 narrow partition walls, it has held me ~85kg +50kg on a dip belt before, but I think it is rated to 95kg.
    Not sure where you would get a steel bar
    Probably in a hardware shop, just walk around, strong PVC should hold you, the shorter the bar the better (strength wise). Keep an eye on thing in lidl/aldi too.

The swings linked above have simple A frames
    3in1swing.jpg

Another simple foldaway freestanding option one like a folding step ladder. I have never seen people make one but thought of it as an option. Imagine 4 planks of wood, you drill a hole near the top of all of them in the same place. Now you slot a bar through the holes so it forms a hinge. Now halfway down you have 2 ropes of equal length, connecting 2 of the planks on either side, this stops them falling outwards (like the red bars in the pic above). So you end up with something like this
    5219_300.jpg
    But with no rungs, and the sides a bit further apart. Rungs at the bottom would make it sturdier. No need for fancy flanges simple hoseclips on the bars could keep the planks from moving along the bars. Like collars on a bar. You could use an actual short barbell as your bar, this way you already have your collars.
    homemadedbell7.jpg

rubadub wrote: »
    Another simple foldaway freestanding option one like a folding step ladder. I have never seen people make one but thought of it as an option. Imagine 4 planks of wood, you drill a hole near the top of all of them in the same place. Now you slot a bar through the holes so it forms a hinge. Now halfway down you have 2 ropes of equal length, connecting 2 of the planks on either side, this stops them falling outwards (like the red bars in the pic above). So you end up with something like this

I really like this option.
    Cheap and cheerful.
    Good stuff rubadub
    4 planks, rope and an old bar.
    Genius.

• Advertisement

I really like this option.
    Cheap and cheerful.
    I have not done it, nor seen anybody mention it even as an idea, so I still wonder if I am missing something!

However I do have a wooden ladder like this in work and have done neutral grip chins on it, i.e. holding rungs on either side. The rungs obviously give it more support. If the rungs were the right height and distance apart the unit could also be used as a dip station.

Instead of ropes I would use adjustable webbing straps so if lengthed the bar would come down lower (and more stable).

Another idea is to make use of something which is already stable, e.g. the side of your house. So now all you need is a standard ladder design minus the rungs! Just like thisladder.gif
    But only 1 rung near the top, so not it just rests up against the wall and the rung is your bar. Could have a second rung at the bottom for support. You might not even need to drill holes for a rung. If you had to long planks you could nail on a block of wood or just hammer in a row of nails or put screws in, now your bar can rest on them.

Yes another idea is to get 2 very sturdy hanging basket supports, and have a bar between them, many have ornamental loops. You could even have hanging baskets so it does not look unsightly, and might keep the missus quiet ;)
    a_The_Hanging_Basket.jpgMight need a welder to make a stronger one, or make it from wood, you might be able to get heavy duty ones though or ones intended for heavy signs you see outside shops/pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭sisco

Just Wondering Is It Any Good For A 6 Pack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Every public park should have a dips/chinning station installed.

sisco wrote: »

Better than fitflops.

Every public park should have a dips/chinning station installed.

I 100% agree.
    Not in our lifetime though.
    No funding for anything like that anymore.

sisco wrote: »
    Knee & leg raises & L-sits, I do all these and sometimes combine them with chinups for an even more compound movement.

No funding for anything like that anymore.
    Some parks do, cabinteely park does, and I think marley park. There are lots of kids playgrounds around now with very expensive equpiment, you would think they would install simple chin/dip stations in more places.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭David Jones

Home version of the Fitframe now available.

http://www.teamhop.com/fitframe-products.htm#home

Advertisement