Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The merged logic123 / A-level / CAO saga

Options
  • 17-08-2009 4:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭

Or has everything nearly went by round 2?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

as far as i know the round two offers are the ones people dont accept, i could be wrong though.
    did you ring up about your results?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭logic123

bascially the CAO and admissions offciers are aware that theres been a delay in everyones A level results this year and said that they are reserving places for A level applicants on all courses. So perhaps there still alot of places left in round 2, becuase they are saving places.

try not to worry about it, i know easier said than done but im sure you will be looked after

well im trying not to worry but i dont want to loose a potential place becuase our A level results are a week late. They said they conserved places for us, but i dont understand how this will work well, will this mean there will be signfiicant places still in round 2

logic123 wrote: »
    well im trying not to worry but i dont want to loose a potential place becuase our A level results are a week late. They said they conserved places for us, but i dont understand how this will work well, will this mean there will be signfiicant places still in round 2
    i would think the places reserved for you would be seperate to round two offers. when will you get your results

• Advertisement

this thrusday, they said that we would get our offers(if any) this coming monday, so perhaps they are seperate from round two offers.

at the end of the day, they have to look after you, its not the students mistake. there would be ALOT of trouble if a level students missed out on places because of a mess up, chance is ,it wont happen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

I'm in the exact same boat - (dreading thursday)

I'd say they have to keep places for us - doesn't a certain percentage of all courses have to be made up of non traditional students?

Where did you hear about offers on Monday? I only heard the 28th?

i rang the CAO this morning and they said offers for a level students go out this monday so perhaps there still basing us on first round, like LESS said we are still part of first round for the reserved places :)

what you hoping to do btw and what are you predicted

im hoping to ahceive AAAB/AAAA fingers crossed

Oh please god, that would be amazing!

Umm, same grades, reallllllly want AAAA but in reality I think I've got AAAB.

Applied for Actuarial Studies in UCD, I know its only 530 pts which means I'd get away with AABC but I know I'm well fit for the top grades so I'll be annoyed at myself if I don't get them!

What about you?

• Advertisement

neuroscience or physics, what grades did you get for AS what subjects you taking and whats your UMS for AS

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

They said they conserved places for us, but i dont understand how this will work well, will this mean there will be signfiicant places still in round 2
    They could have held extra places, based on the preference lists of those doing A-level, and will redistribute any not filled in Round 2 ...

Not entirely fair on LC students, but in fairness to ye lot, ye can't be left high and dry because the A-Level people fcuked up.
    misslt wrote: »
    I'd say they have to keep places for us - doesn't a certain percentage of all courses have to be made up of non traditional students?
    A-Level candidates are not classified as non-traditional ... and for that matter, most non-traditional student places will already have been allocated anyway.

there actually giving out offers to A level students on monday before round 2 i rang them and they said that in no way are A level disadvantaged by this, so i think your wrong

neuroscience or physics, what grades did you get for AS what subjects you taking and whats your UMS for AS

Physics, Maths Irish and Drama and Theatre Studies, got AAAB at AS but repeated my last AS module.

I already have my A in maths, thank god.

What do you mean UMS? Just marks?

276 for Irish,
    246 for Physics (just by the skin of my teeth)
    258 for Maths (492 over all)
    218 in Drama but repeated.

It is do-able, I know Physics needed the most marks for the A, at least 72/90 in practical and 96/120 in the written.

What subjects did you do?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

there actually giving out offers to A level students on monday before round 2 i rang them and they said that in no way are A level disadvantaged by this, so i think your wrong
    I think you didn't read my post properly.

I said that they could have reserved places for the A-Level students based on their preferences (the CAO computer could easily sort those from the db) ... allocate places to that group on Monday based on their results ... and redistribute any places NOT filled on that basis in Round 2, just like any other unfilled places.

I emailed CAO...have to wait till Friday apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 matt606

yeah i phoned them and they said friday as well

this friday or 28th?

Friday 28th :(

A Level results aren't out to Thursday and all English board results have to be posted to CAO.

Pain in the head tbh.

They say we aren't disadvantaged but I don't see how we aren't really.

yer i know its really unfair tbh

• Advertisement

do we have to post our results to CAO ouirselves, or wil lthey just get them off the boards themselves

I got AAAB 580 points, ive applied for neuroscience and physics

do you think 580 points will get me a place in round two :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I got AAAB 580 points, ive applied for neuroscience and physics

do you think 580 points will get me a place in round two :)

If there is a round 2 of that course?
    And well done on that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

Got my results this morning.

AAAA (600 CAO points). :eek: Still doesn't feel real.

Don't forget to get your result sheets to the CAO quickly (fax or post)! Especially if it's one of the English or Welsh boards (CCEA gets there automatically).

Rang the university, apparently my first preference course is reserved for me but their hands are tied by the CAO until next week.

Well done everyone! :D

can i ring the university to see if one of my courses is reserved for me

can i ring the university to see if one of my courses is reserved for me

Ring the department specifically.

what just ring them up and ask them what? what did you say to them?

what do i say to them, wont they be annoyed if i ask them, anyways what can i say to them many thanks.

Just tell them your situation and ask if they have any places reserved.

• Advertisement

what course you hoping to do and what are the points for it

Advertisement