Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should/Shouldn't ESB Demolish Poolbeg Chimneys?

Options
  • 18-08-2009 12:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

According to the Sunday Business Post, the ESB are gonna consider demolishing the Poolbeg Chimney Stacks when they're decommissioned next year. If anyones gonna prevent the ESB from knocking the chimneys it's Dublin City Council and they've refused to grant a preservation order, citing "they were not of sufficient architectural, social or historical value", so they obviously couldn't give a rats arse what the ESB do.

Full Article: http://www.sbpost.ie/news/the-two-towers-demolition-threat-to-dublin-icons-43787.html

Its been brought up and debated before, but would you support the chimneys being demolished? Or do you think they should be preserved as a protected landmark?

EDIT: any chance a mod could change poll to show results?

Do your support the Poolbeg Chimneys being demolished? 81 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    100%
    D-GenerateOffyDocazezilMossy MonkcournioniSpearSarumanRuu_OldWossacknetwhizkidGuy:IncognitoMike 1972smemonNuttzzgibo_ieanimaalCiaran500mikemacdr gonzo 81 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

A couple of chimneys isn't a bloody landmark.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

No
    Jim236 wrote: »
    According to the Sunday Business Post, the ESB are gonna consider demolishing the Poolbeg Chimney Stacks when they're decommissioned next year. If anyones gonna prevent the ESB from knocking the chimneys it's Dublin City Council and they've refused to grant a preservation order, citing "they were not of sufficient architectural, social or historical value", so they obviously couldn't give a rats arse what the ESB do.

Full Article: http://www.sbpost.ie/news/the-two-towers-demolition-threat-to-dublin-icons-43787.html

Its been brought up and debated before, but would you support the chimneys being demolished? Or do you think they should be preserved as a protected landmark?
    Imagine if they weren't there, do you think anyone would support the building of chimneys at Poolbeg?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

but why would it be important to keep these? I dont see their historical significance tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

They're our Twin Towers dudes. C'mon. Don't let 9/11 happen for the second time.

That'd be 911 x 2 which would be 1,822. That's not gonna trip off the tongue as easy as nine eleven.

One thousand, eight hundred and twenty two. Or eighteen twenty two, or One Eight hundred, Twenty Two. or One Eight Two Two.

However you say it it still sounds forced. It'll never work.

Save the Poolbeg Two!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

Pity Fred Dibnah isn't around anymore......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

No
    That's 1 less thing they can show in the Fair City start now.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭steppen

If they are not being used, get rid tbh. An eyesore IMHO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Jim236

Fair enough its no Eiffel Tower or Empire State Building, but its an iconic structure for Dubliners. Its the first thing you see when you fly into Dublin Airport, and the last thing you see when you leave Dublin Port, its been featured in music videos for U2 and The Script. I actually can't imagine walking down the quays or around Dublin Bay without seeing the chimneys, its just part of the Dublin landscape and should be saved IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I'm sure Zoe developments could do something with them.:rolleyes:

A couple of chimneys isn't a bloody landmark.

Quite right. They're two landmarks. :)

And before you say anything: Apology accepted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Is that not a fairly recent and advanced plant as far as power plants go?

I remember hearing it can run on eother gas or oil and has one of the fastest change overs in Europe. WTF are they demolishing it already?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Jim236

Is that not a fairly recent and advanced plant as far as power plants go?

I remember hearing it can run on eother gas or oil and has one of the fastest change overs in Europe. WTF are they demolishing it already?

Its all part of ESB switching to renewables, and DCC trying to create a mini-Manhatten out of Dublin Port, and moving the Port to Balbriggan instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

I really like them.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

No
    Its all part of ESB switching to renewables

That'll be hilarious. Better start buying petrol generators, AHers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

No
    Fair enough its no Eiffel Tower or Empire State Building, but its an iconic structure for Dubliners. Its the first thing you see when you fly into Dublin Airport, and the last thing you see when you leave Dublin Port, its been featured in music videos for U2 and The Script. I actually can't imagine walking down the quays or around Dublin Bay without seeing the chimneys, its just part of the Dublin landscape and should be saved IMO.

Exactly. And that's why I believe that they have enough of a cultural significance to be protected.

But knowing how planning works, maybe the corpo have whiffed a development opportunity in deciding to refuse protection status - that would boost their coffers and pensions nicely :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Its all part of ESB switching to renewables, and DCC trying to create a mini-Manhatten out of Dublin Port, and moving the Port to Balbriggan instead.
    Pfft. Oil and gas are renewables. It just takes a few billion years. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Pfft. Oil and gas are renewables. It just takes a few billion years. :D

The dirty little secret Al Gore doesn't want you to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Its all part of ESB switching to renewables,

Oh right, so they're putting windmills where the chimney are then:confused::p

• Registered Users Posts: 81,797 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

No
    AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Quite right. They're two landmarks. :)

And before you say anything: Apology accepted.
    http://www.indymedia.ie/attachments/oct2006/poolbeg.jpg

.............:confused:

You Irish have no ****ing clue what landmarks are, do you?

I mean, the **** is this?

This is a landmark.

This is a landmark.

This is even a landmark.

This is a landmark.

THIS is a pair of ****ing chimneys. You have two just like them in Shannon. And about a billion of the ****ing things scattered around the world. I could go driving tonight and snap pictures of at least a dozen.

Next thing someone is going to come on here and argue that The Magpie in Clarecastle is holy ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭procure11

No

But it isnt exactly memorable ...I think it is not very nice as a reminder of visiting Ireland like the examples you gave like the Eiffel towers or Empire SB.
    But I would honestly like a nice replacement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Overheal wrote: »

This is a landmark.

This is a landmark.

This is even a landmark.

This is a landmark.

THIS is a pair of ****ing chimneys. You have two just like them in Shannon. And about a billion of the ****ing things scattered around the world. I could go driving tonight and snap pictures of at least a dozen.

Eh a landmark is just that. Something to mark a particular point on land. Big pointy needle like structures like the Spire and the chimneys do that just fine.

Where will I meet you? At the spire. That big pointy thing? Yes that one.

Brrrring. Brrrring. Hello? Yeah it's me I'm lost. Ok can you see the big mountain from where you are? Everest yeah I can see that. Ok head towards that big gigantic mountain that's miles around. I'll meet you there.

And the statue of liberty's practically in the sea.

Useless landmarks. Pointy tall things are the way to go.

This is a landmark.

This is a landmark.

This is even a landmark.

This is a landmark.

Next thing someone is going to come on here and argue that The Magpie in Clarecastle is holy ground.

Angry American is Angry!

I have no idea where half of those yokes you linked to are. Are they on the northside? Cause I rarely venture further north than Parnell Street so they could be bleedin' foreign for all I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

I would like that they were kept. They are a major feature of my internal geographic schema and enhance my sense of place. i would miss them if I looked out and there was just emptiness where they used to be. I don't give a damn about the architecture or definition of a landmark, that's just grim utilitarian stuff to me. They are part of what consitutes my literal perspective on the city.

I reckon the effect of that would be lessened if we had more tall buildings visible from the bay, but that's not likely to happen for a while.

It's not up to the public, anyway, certainly not of Dún Laoighaire-Rathdown, where they are actually visible.

No
    javaboy wrote: »
    Eh a landmark is just that. Something to mark a particular point on land. Big pointy needle like structures like the Spire and the chimneys do that just fine.

Where will I meet you? At the spire. That big pointy thing? Yes that one.

Brrrring. Brrrring. Hello? Yeah it's me I'm lost. Ok can you see the big mountain from where you are? Everest yeah I can see that. Ok head towards that big gigantic mountain that's miles around. I'll meet you there.

And the statue of liberty's practically in the sea.

Useless landmarks. Pointy tall things are the way to go.
    :p

So are you saying you'll get lost without 2 fecking chimneys?
    "they were not of sufficient architectural, social or historical value"

Indeed. Not exactly Hitler's mountain retreat or anything ;)

Godwin!

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Spastafarian

Bet they wouldn't have cool red and white stripes though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭j1smithy

[QUOTE=Overheal;61662075

This is a landmark.

[/QUOTE]

I would just like to point out that building isn't the Kremlin. Its actually St. Basils Cathedral.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

No

U2 are corrupt tax dodgers. As the towers were used in one of their videos the towers are complicit in tax evasion and fraud. They should be executed (knocked down) as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

This is a landmark.

This is a landmark.

This is even a landmark.

This is a landmark.

This is a landmark too. Hard to miss it on the train going past. Mind you there are four chimneys. And one flying pig. Bankside power station (these days they call it the tate modern) has only one. But then, they're British.

Besides, we've got some nice actual landmarks.

Like this one. I'm sure any of us can find plenty of old Irish things that look pretty and can be seen from a distance.

I don't see them as being landmarks but I'm not from Dublin. I notice the lack of the Murphys chimney every time I go into Cork though and I'm not even from the place. it was always the entry point to the city from Blackpool and I miss it. It's been gone, what, 20 years? That means it's been gone far longer than I remember it being there but it still leaves a gap. I'd rather keep the Poolbeg chimneys than that shiny needle of metal crap in O'Connell Street.

No
    j1smithy wrote: »
    I would just like to point out that building isn't the Kremlin. Its actually St. Basils Cathedral.
    I never said it was ;)

But anyway, looks like I've been schmoogled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Definitely keep the chimneys. They're fairly iconic and I quite like them.

Advertisement