Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wtd. staffordshire bull terrier

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wexford202

Neutering a staff doesn't make a whole lot of difference other than make them pile on weight.

My staffs bro was done and he is not half the dog he was.

Staffs are an excitable dog. It's their nature and it's not fair to change that.

I wasn't big into them until I got mine and he was 4 yesterday. Brought for fish and chips, had a cake and part hat was on him for the day. Even my mother in law brought over a bag of presents.

If you give a staff a toy he/she will playand chew forever. They love their toys.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Neutering a staff, or any dog for that matter will deter unsavoury people from robbing them to breed, will prevent the frustration that comes with being an intact male when there is a female in heat around, will help ensure your dog returns to you when out walking (rather than following every female in the area) and will make the chances of your dog trying to escape less likely. I used to be staunchly "neuter neuter neuter" and still am except for in exceptional circumstances. I think it's fairer on the dog and much much easier on the owner.

As for putting on weight.... who controls the exercise? Neutering might make a dog lazier, but it doesn't make them put on weight. Owners not giving enough exercise causes the dog to put on weight.

I have heard the old farmyard tale that a dog is not half the dog after neutering, but I thought it was linked to mens own preception of masculinity (if you know what I mean :o) I didn't think it was true and have never ever seen it myself. It must not happen very often.

Have you any pics of your boy? :)

Neutering a staff, or any dog for that matter will deter unsavoury people from robbing them to breed, will prevent the frustration that comes with being an intact male when there is a female in heat around, will help ensure your dog returns to you when out walking (rather than following every female in the area) and will make the chances of your dog trying to escape less likely. I used to be staunchly "neuter neuter neuter" and still am except for in exceptional circumstances. I think it's fairer on the dog and much much easier on the owner.

As for putting on weight.... who controls the exercise? Neutering might make a dog lazier, but it doesn't make them put on weight. Owners not giving enough exercise causes the dog to put on weight.

I have heard the old farmyard tale that a dog is not half the dog after neutering, but I thought it was linked to mens own preception of masculinity (if you know what I mean :o) I didn't think it was true and have never ever seen it myself. It must not happen very often.

Have you any pics of your boy? :)

Firstly your comment on neutering making your life easier is a terrible reason to justify getting a dog neutered. Do not bother getting a dog if it's a nice and easy life your after. To deter someone from robbing it is also a poor excuse for getting it done. If a thief is creeping around your garden at night they certainly do not have the time to check for surgery before they pinch your dof. Micro chips are for deterring people from robbing a dog. To remove his testicles is a terrible way of achieving an easier life.

Also the reason why a dog puts on weight is because of the interruption to it's hormones. Physiological changes after neutering may affect your dog’s metabolism and appetite, making him prone to weight gain. There’s some evidence to suggest that puppies neutered before five months of age are at greater risk of becoming obese than puppies neutered later

wexford202 wrote: »
    Firstly your comment on neutering making your life easier is a terrible reason to justify getting a dog neutered. Do not bother getting a dog if it's a nice and easy life your after.
    I already have a dog thanks very much, a very happy, neutered, staffy cross. I actually said it's fairer on the dog and easier on the owner. Note: I said FAIRER ON THE DOG, before mentioning the owner. If doing something for the good of my dogs health and welfare also makes things easier on me, then great. I'm sure like all owners, we all also do things for our dogs health and welfare that makes things awkard on us. All part of having a dog.
    If a thief is creeping around your garden at night they certainly do not have the time to check for surgery before they pinch your dof. Micro chips are for deterring people from robbing a dog.
    I'm sorry, but not all dog thefts are spur of the moment, opportunistic instances. Not at all. These thiefs see this as their "job" and most of the time know exactly what they need to know about the dog. They have been known to stake out houses, ask owners about the dog in passing etc. It is a lot less random than people seem to think.
    To remove his testicles is a terrible way of achieving an easier life.
    An easier life for who? The dog? Me? prospective puppies? neighbours? I think, all things considered, neutering is the kindest thing to do except for in exceptional circumstances. Dog professionals, vets, rescues, all agree.
    Also the reason why a dog puts on weight is because of the interruption to it's hormones. Physiological changes after neutering may affect your dog’s metabolism and appetite, making him prone to weight gain. There’s some evidence to suggest that puppies neutered before five months of age are at greater risk of becoming obese than puppies neutered later
    Prone to weight gain, as the owner, it is your responsibility to respond to that by changing the food and upping the exercise.

I wouldn't believe it is fair on the dog at all. You can be certain if the choice was left to him he certainly wouldn't be lining up for for it.

Neutering is not a kind thing to do for a dog. An owner should have more control over their dog and not allow the dog to pester other dogs. They should be well up in their handling of a dog for the dog to return when called whether it has balls or no balls.

I wouldn't say that all vets agree as there are many vets in my family and none agree but for the following circumstances.
    The only time it would be needed is if an owner has both a male and female. My neighbour has both and is well used to knowing when the bitch is in heat to seperate them. They didn't need to make the dog have surgery to acheive that.

there are many other ways to deter thieves and this certainly sgouldn't be anyones first choice.

Part of the enjoyment for the dog when walking is to pee and mark everything it comes accross. It's what they do and what they are mesnt to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

Most owners in this country aren't able to effectively control their dog enough to stop them from reproducing though, so what you're advocating means more unwanted litters.

Neutering is not an ideal situation, but with over 10 thousand dogs being killed in pounds last year due to being unwanted, it is highly irresponsible of you to tell people not to do it. Have you ever visited a dog pound?

And for the record, my guy is a rescue, he was neutered by his rescue at six months and he still sniffs and marks to his heart's content while out for his walk.

He's also in perfect shape as I control his food intake and give him lots of exercise.

I have visited dog pounds many times and I give substanial amounts of money to ISPCA too.

I am not advocating anything but I am saying that any dog owner needs to be responsible for their dog. That surgery of any kind should never be used as a means of compensating bad ownership.

Any dog running around and trying to mount other dogs is a sign of bad ownership. Education is the first thing in providing a stable enviroment for a Stafforshire Bull Terrier. They do require large open spaces to run around it and thats why should always have a large garden to run around in. All dogs no matter the breed should be on a lead when walked. It is things like that which prevent the increase in population.

Also any owner of a female dog can in the event of their dog escaping for a few hours can get the morning after pill for the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I think people should be clear that the primary purpose of neutering animals is to stop them reproducing. All the other other perceived benefits/risks are side effects.

All dogs no matter the breed should be on a lead when walked. It is things like that which prevent the increase in population.

Also any owner of a female dog can in the event of their dog escaping for a few hours can get the morning after pill for the dog.

I'm pretty sure that never letting your dog off lead is much more of an issue for them not having a good quality of life than them missing their testicles! Not all of us have the luxury of large gardens, but still have happy well adjusted dogs and in control dogs.

The morning after pill for dogs has side effects and is not guaranteed 100%.

Blueprint wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that never letting your dog off lead is much more of an issue for them not having a good quality of life than them missing their testicles!

Not all of us have the luxury of large gardens, but still have happy well adjusted dogs and in control dogs.

The morning after pill for dogs has side effects and is not guaranteed 100%.

Whta I am saying is that neutering your dog which was your suggestion in the first place to reduce agression should not be a solution. If it is a fear that the bitch that the OP has may get pregnant well then do but you were the one in your original post suggesting the neutering as a way of dealing with social behaviour. Training a dog should always be the first option if the concern is agression.

It is against the law to have your dog off it's lead when in a public place. I have the scar on the bottom of my back from a german shepherd which was off a lead on a beach with it's owner who said that it was a family dog.

If you do not have the 'luxury' of having a decent sized garden for an animal as energetic as a staffie you shouldn't own one. Even two walks a day with freedom is still not enough to burn their energy. They love sprinting around the lawn and need that on a regular basis throughout the day and not just on its walk or social outings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Wexford202, I think you are guilty of attributing human feelings and traits to your dog. There is nothing cruel about neutering a dog and apart from the inital discomfort your dog may feel after the operation, they won't be any the worse for it, brooding in their bed wondering how you could have treated them so bad :D

Wexford 202:

1) I never told the OP to neuter, that was someone else. I do however object to you telling us owners of neutered dogs that we are being unkind to them.
    2) I do not own a Staffie, I have a small Terrier x Collie, he is a very high energy dog, but is perfectly happy as I give him the exercise and mental stimulation he needs to be a happy, fulfilled dog, in spite of my small garden. (And for the record, he has no interest in being out in the garden on his own anyhow, as he's a people person.)
    3) Dogs have to be under control in public places, not on a lead; dogs on the Restricted Breed List have to be on a lead at all times according to the stupid law, but as already mentioned, I do not have one of those.

And a question: do you think that people with small gardens would be better off letting a Staffie die in the pound than giving it a home? Most of us can't afford big gardens!

Wexford, I agree that neutering should not be used to combat agression (I pointed out that it would not work in most cases in an earlier post on this thread) but, except for in certain circumstances I really believe it best that dogs are neutered. I am 90% sure Harley cannot get out, the garden has 6ft high fences and is absolutely enclosed. But I'm not willing to take any risk of him making a concentrated effort to escape due to neighbours bitches. I'm also not willing to put him through the frustration of living in close proximity to bitches in heat, it drives them mad.

I own a staffie x lab, both very energetic excitable breeds, so there you go, a perfectly happy, excited, friendly, lively dog and a small enough garden. We make sure he gets enough exercise to burn his physical energy and try turn almost everything into a "task" for him so he's mentally tired too. Come the weekend he camps with us, mountain climbs, we let him off lead when it's suitable to do so. He had a ball on st margarets beach playing with some collies and their owners. Maybe thats why he didn't put any weight on after neutering.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

I wouldn't believe it is fair on the dog at all. You can be certain if the choice was left to him he certainly wouldn't be lining up for for it.

And babies, if the choice was left to them, certainly wouldn't be lining up for vaccinations against whooping cough etc. Is it unkind to jab babies? They probably wouldn't want to be sleeping in a cot either. Or eating veggies. But as responsible adults/parents and as responsible dogowners, we make those choices for our dependants, whether they're babies or dogs.

Neutering drastically reduces the risks of developing cancer, and it puts a complete dead stop to any chance that your dog will sire a litter, which helps contol the numbers of unplanned and unwanted pups in the country for rescues and pounds to deal with.

I'm really gobsmacked that you would discourage neutering. After all the adverts and publicising and work that has gone into trying to educate dog owners like yourself...:confused:
    The only time it would be needed is if an owner has both a male and female.
    The only time??? Poppycock.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭bigdogbarking

Bambi wrote: »
    I think people should be clear that the primary purpose of neutering animals is to stop them reproducing. All the other other perceived benefits/risks are side effects.

Almost right ;) irresponsible pet ownership is the primary reason why the pounds and shelters are over packed and so many deserving dogs get put to sleep everyday. all it takes is a little responsibilitty on the owners behalf. the dogs don't know they are missing anything, they don't know any better, they don't have sex for pleasure, only for reproduction.

The secondary purpose, should not be overlooked especially is if its medically advisable to do so, i.e it prevents and treats: cancer (testicular and prostate in dogs, breast in bitches), Pyometra (a uterine infection that can cause death in bitches),hormonal imbalances causing mood swings (just like the laidees:p), less risk of hernias,
    straying and wandering can also be prevented as can territorial marking be reduced.

Ps Dogs will only get fat after spaying/neutering if they don't get sufficient exercise and a proper diet.

there are more reasons to neuter rather than not to so there is no excuse really unless it is your intention to breed but only responsible dog owners would do that......wouldn't they?.....

• Registered Users Posts: 48 johnmaloney88

i'm gettin my fella done, i don't wanna breed. all i want is a friend! i see no need for my fella to have the ability to reproduce.

well done man,
    best of luck to you both :)

i'm gettin my fella done, i don't wanna breed. all i want is a friend! i see no need for my fella to have the ability to reproduce.

Good news. Glad you have listened to the pros of neutering and not the rubbish that Wexford202 is spouting :D As has been said previously, a dog isn't going to miss his bits and all Wexford202 is doing is attributing his or her human feelings onto their dog. Also the dog will not put on any weight if their exercise and food is controlled. I think anyone condoning those of us who choose to neuter/spay isn't coming from a responsible place and hasn't educated themselves on the matter because if they had, they wouldn't be giving such bad advice.:rolleyes:

Apart from him not having the ability to reproduce it will also make him less attractive to dog thieves. Would love to see photos when you get him

suzie
    18082009074.jpg

and troy
    26082009077.jpg
    26082009076.jpg
    26082009078.jpg
    25082009075.jpg

Aw what a handsome chap he is. I'm glad he went to a good home as I'm sure there may have been some not so nice people interested in him. And Suzie is lovely too. Are they getting along well together?

• Advertisement

He's a great looking fella, best of luck with him. How is susie taking to him?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

Glad it worked out and you got him John;)
    He's a lovely looking lad, seems to be quite comfy and at home there! Susie is a beauty too....
    Congrats!

cheers guys, i'm taking it slow introducing them as suzie was always sorta my dog and she's a big softie, so she's very nervous around him, when i introduced them they both ran to me for comfort so, as troy never saw her before, he tried to protect me and snapped at her. she got scared as i took them both on neutral territory and she was a little nervous anyway. went better than expected, nothin good is ever easy and i'm pretty sure they'll become good friends. i don't wanna put too much pressure on her as she's my little darlin and don't wanna upset her too much. can't say enough good things about the staffie though, what a lovely dog! i've changed a lot of minds already, my parents who were bith very iffy love him already! but he came from a very good home so that's what you'd expect.

Advertisement